Maintenance for the week of June 24:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – June 24

Siege Weapon Concept: War Mounts

• TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thinking about it some more... why not have three siege mounts for each alliance, one per race? Three different types... maybe?
    - one "ranged artillery" carrying some special siege weapon (a rock throwing giant riding a mammoth? A horse-drawn wagon with some crude cannon? Or something like the the welkyn-stone powered ayleid costal defense system in one of the AD quests?), but weak at close range?
    - one "slow & armored" siege beast that has powerful close range attacks, lumbers up to gates and walls to smash them down, takes insane amouts of damage to put down, can one-shot enemy players foolish enough to stand in its way, does bonus damage against walls and gates, but is annoyingly slow and can be outmanouvred?
    - one fast moving "close assault charger" that has less HP then the others, and does no extra damage against fortifications, but is fast moving and good against massed enemy troops with AoE type attacks?

AD:
    Altmer - Mage Platform (artillery)
    Bosmer - Great Lurcher (armor)
    Khajiit - Senche-Raht (assault)

DC:
    Breton - War Wagon (artillery)
    Orc - Siege Tower (armor)
    Redguard - Duneripper (assault)

EP:
    Nord - Mammoth (artillery)
    Dunmer - Stilt Strider (armor)
    Argonian - Wammasu (assault)

Options
  • WraithAzraiel
    WraithAzraiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally I would leave the Dwemer out of the running for these but I LOVE the idea.

Some Recommendations:

- To make it fair, and to encourage the expansion of guild systems. Have it cost a great deal. IE: if in the future when/if these are looked at as a possibility, grant the ability for individuals to donate AP gained (to a cap) into a guild bank just as you might donate gold. And boom, a guild will be able to afford this much more swiftly than any individual would. Limit of 1 on any person (bank or bag) at any given time.

- Have these behemoths be worth 10/20 or 11/20 siege so that there's never more than 1 attacking a particular keep. That would allow them to be as powerful as 10 single pieces of siege equipment and get away with it.

- Have it take a few people to operate. Maybe 3. 1 to drive and work the frontal attacks. 1 to do something else that I can't think of right now and 1 to sit swivel at the top to use a bow to aid the horde of fellow attackers on the ground with some sort of ranged attacks.

- Don't make the driver(s) immune to damage but give them a nice bit of reduction. Say 30-40% reduction to incoming damage. And should the driver die, his place can be taken by another attacker. Same with the rest of the occupants. Until the siege beast is destroyed.
    Shendell De'Gull - V14 Vampire Nightblade

Captain of the Black Howling

"There's no such thing as overkill..."

"No problem on the face of the Earth exists what can't be fixed with the proper application of enough duct tape and 550 cord."

P2PBetaTesters
    #Tamriel_BETA_Team
    #BETA_TESTER4LYF
    DominionMasterRace
    #GOAHEADTHEYGOTCANDY
    #SEEMSLEGIT
    Options
  • WraithAzraiel
    WraithAzraiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also

For EP, I give you - THE BATTLE NETCH

Dragonborn_Screenshots_6.jpg
    Edited by WraithAzraiel on February 19, 2015 9:03PM
    Shendell De'Gull - V14 Vampire Nightblade

Captain of the Black Howling

"There's no such thing as overkill..."

"No problem on the face of the Earth exists what can't be fixed with the proper application of enough duct tape and 550 cord."

P2PBetaTesters
    #Tamriel_BETA_Team
    #BETA_TESTER4LYF
    DominionMasterRace
    #GOAHEADTHEYGOTCANDY
    #SEEMSLEGIT
    Options
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @TheShadowScout I really like the thought process of your ideas... but the additional Mounts would really just be replacements for current siege weapons and you are suggesting dividing the power of the one mount between three.

I really think the War Mount should be an EVENT when they step onto the field. Players should exclaim "oh schnikies!!" when they see a War Mount take to the field. They should be able to attack

In particular, I am considering the power that a Senche-Raht should bring to the field. These beasts are formidable war machines that can topple forests. They shouldn't be nerfed down to quick-attack soldier attacks. They need to be able to BUST down some walls! :wink:
    What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
    Options
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was more thinking about how to make them different. Not intending to make the assult class merely soldier attacks, just imagining it might be better at that, while the others might be better at other things... Thus the basic "ranged attack - melee tank - melee area attack" setup, though that was just off the top of my head.
    And I agree that they shouldn't be replacements for siege weapons... they should be much more. A one beast siege all by themselves. Horrendously expensive, but worth every AP.
    Options
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    oh, gotcha. I was seeing a battlefield full of huge beasts where that's the focus of the battle... hehe. That wouldn't work. I do think having multiple War Mount types would be pretty awesome and would give players a choice in what they want the War Mount to do.

I can agree with everyone that first, ZOS needs to get mounted combat working.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Options
  • Shunravi
    Shunravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ok, so I went and got some screens. I used the fighters guild circle as a size reference. as its late, and im tired,im just going to dump the pics here. Now, I have this suspicion that they are resizing things.... I already touched on it with the Senche skulls pics. it feels that they readjusted the sizes of several things, but these size comparisons are accurate enough.

Mammoth;

sdeex1.jpg

Wamasu;

210eu85.jpg

Boss Wamasu

2moo01x.jpg

Another boss Wamasu

a2dyfc.jpg

Duneripper;

(this guy was hard to flank)
    25i6utj.jpg

dhcso3.jpg

Boss Duneripper

v682kl.jpg

So, make of it what you will. Yes, in general, Wamasu are smaller. they are still rather large, and can get larger.
    Soloing fully scaled dungeons to get some of those pics was tricky. But fun.

Also, having seen piles of this overworld boss' corpses near the DSA wayshrine, I could swear he was larger. did they resize things, or am i just tired? 2mn4xg6.jpg

This one has an eloquent and well thought out response to tha... Ooh sweetroll!
    Options
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome @Shunravi! I'm taking 2 things from these pictures.
    1: Mammoths are smaller than I thought they were. :confused:
    2: Both the Wamasu and the Duneripper bosses are plenty large to fit a few players!

That Wamasu looks fierce! :worried:
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Options
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man, placing the Mammoth next to the Wamasu and the Senche-Raht and I'm concerned for the Mammoth! Lol. So you think the Wamasu would be good for the Daggerfall Covenant?
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Options
  • Throren
    Throren
    ✭✭✭
    Wamasu are native to Blackmarsh. I don't know why you keep trying to give animals from one factions lands to a different faction.
    Options
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The faction we are having trouble with is the Daggerfall Covenant. That's why I asked if it would work for the DC... We have PLENTY of options for Ebonheart Pact And I thought the Wamasu was in the southern regions but I didn't know if I had missed them in high rock or something.

So the ONLY viable option for daggerfall is the Duneripper?

Eh.... I like the giant Dwemer spider. The Duneripper just doesn't seem Imposing enough.
    Edited by Gidorick on February 20, 2015 3:14PM
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Options
  • Throren
    Throren
    ✭✭✭
    I'd rather trade imposing for more lore friendlyness
    Options
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't we get a dwemer spider pet in Bangkorai? That's in Daggerfall. Didn't the Dwemer make large centurion constructs? don't people in tamriel enjoy tinkering with dwemer technology?

So there are dwemer machines in Daggerfall Covenant areas.
    The dwemer made large war machines.
    There are people that seek these things out and tinker with them.

Why would the existence of a large dwemer war mount be against lore? Just because we haven't seen a dwemer construct such as this doesn't mean it can't exist.
    Edited by Gidorick on February 20, 2015 3:59PM
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Options
  • Throren
    Throren
    ✭✭✭
    Because huge constructs of that size are still fairly rare and we would have no way to control them nevermind where the Covenant would manage to get a large amount of them to use in lore.

Plus an army of dwemer robots running around would be silly.

Why do these have to animals/creatures? Why not movable siege weapons?

Why not like a large carriage or platform of sorts drawn by horses or something else. Like big battle chariots with a ballista ontop or something.
    Options
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol. Because the entirety of the concept came from me asking "hey... how could Senche-Raht fit into ESO?" :smiley:
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Options
  • Throren
    Throren
    ✭✭✭
    You could still have Senche-raht though

AD get Senche-raht
    EP get a mammoth maybe with some kind of structure on their back for a rider + archers

latest?cb=20130518092635

and maybe for DC something like this but drawn by large armoured horses or even Orsinium bears. Maybe even a small catapult/archers on the carriage to make up for lack of size/strength compared to Senche-raht/mammoth

giant_crossbow_by_imkstudios-d5d2sfk.jpg
    Options
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ding! Awesome! having a war chariot drawn be bears would be pretty cool, I admit.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Options
  • Forestd16b14_ESO
    Forestd16b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ebonheart pact war mount is Dovabear.
    Options
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I suppose when the battle's over, winning side has a barbecue? Dropping something of that size should come with AoE environmental damage (shockwave, crushing, etc)

The rideable spider seems a little odd, but I could see some Dwemer obtained siege weapons being interesting. Screw Drill battering ram, anyone?

Launching automatons over the wall could be interesting too. Think they'd have to be equal opportunity aggro though (you'd have to kill them when you showed up, as they'd be ticked off.)

Regarding size, I could absolutely see Wamasu having a place on the battlefield there are a couple oversized ones in both Crag and in Arx.

Dunerippers would be outstanding, Right up the the moment they sand-drive with you mounted.
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
    Options
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I like the idea, but perhaps we should ask zos to be more creative?
    Argonians could have wamasu
    Nords mammoths
    Dunmer a silt strider
    Bosmer a walking tree
    Khajiit the senche raht
    Redgards the duneripper (or elephant)
    Bretons a... Not sure... Something magical like oversized mudcrab
    Altmer a huge atronach
    Orcs a mutant bear
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
    Options
  • MLRPZ
    MLRPZ
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And What about my AD dunmer dragonknight ? ^^
    a giant mechanic mammoth drawn by bears ?
    Edited by MLRPZ on October 7, 2015 7:53AM
    AD // Marc the Epic Goat // Templar // AR50
    EP // The Goatfather // Templar // AR44
    AD // Unforgoatable // Sorc // AR33
    EP // You Goat Rekt // NB // AR28
    EP // Bill Goats // Swarden // AR28
    AD // Goat Ya // NB // AR24
    AD // Unforgoatten // StamDK // AR 21
    DC // Egoatcentric // Stamsorc // AR16

and many unused PVE chars

REMOVE FACTION LOCK

AoE Rats
    RIP Zerg Squad
    RIP Banana Squad Inc
    Not your typical goat

Options
  • Molag_Crow
    Molag_Crow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Brilliant idea!
    --ϟ-- Crows_Descend - Templar - Ebonheart Pact [PS4]&[PC] [EU] --ϟ--
    YoutTube ESO Playlist
    The greatest prison that people live in, is the fear of what other people think. - David Icke
    Be your true, authentic self.

Options
  • 13igTyme
    13igTyme
    ✭✭✭
    I thought this thread was going to be about putting our mounts in a catapult.
    PS4 | NA | l3igTyme

Thinking about coming back to play...
    Options
  • MLRPZ
    MLRPZ
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could be nice aswell, guars hiting a keep wall for 15k
    AD // Marc the Epic Goat // Templar // AR50
    EP // The Goatfather // Templar // AR44
    AD // Unforgoatable // Sorc // AR33
    EP // You Goat Rekt // NB // AR28
    EP // Bill Goats // Swarden // AR28
    AD // Goat Ya // NB // AR24
    AD // Unforgoatten // StamDK // AR 21
    DC // Egoatcentric // Stamsorc // AR16

and many unused PVE chars

REMOVE FACTION LOCK

AoE Rats
    RIP Zerg Squad
    RIP Banana Squad Inc
    Not your typical goat

Options
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aww yeah! Assaulting forts is becoming extremely boring. Siege wall, run through breech, siege wall, cap. Same old, same old. Rams can be fun, but ridiculously pointless when oil just straight up destroys it, so you don't see them very often.
    I'm not a fan of mounted combat in general, but War Mounts could be a really interesting idea and a new alternative to sieges
    Edited by Alucardo on October 7, 2015 9:27AM
    Options
  • Meshal
    Meshal
    ✭✭✭
    dwemer mount for nords or any of the other races! that's so breaking the lore, i think !
    Edited by Meshal on October 7, 2015 9:40AM
    Options
  • 13igTyme
    13igTyme
    ✭✭✭
    MLRPZ wrote: »
    Could be nice aswell, guars hiting a keep wall for 15k

Exactly, who wouldn't want that?
    PS4 | NA | l3igTyme

Thinking about coming back to play...
    Options
  • GuyNamedSean
    GuyNamedSean
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thinking about it some more... why not have three siege mounts for each alliance, one per race? Three different types... maybe?
    - one "ranged artillery" carrying some special siege weapon (a rock throwing giant riding a mammoth? A horse-drawn wagon with some crude cannon? Or something like the the welkyn-stone powered ayleid costal defense system in one of the AD quests?), but weak at close range?
    - one "slow & armored" siege beast that has powerful close range attacks, lumbers up to gates and walls to smash them down, takes insane amouts of damage to put down, can one-shot enemy players foolish enough to stand in its way, does bonus damage against walls and gates, but is annoyingly slow and can be outmanouvred?
    - one fast moving "close assault charger" that has less HP then the others, and does no extra damage against fortifications, but is fast moving and good against massed enemy troops with AoE type attacks?

AD:
    Altmer - Mage Platform (artillery)
    Bosmer - Great Lurcher (armor)
    Khajiit - Senche-Raht (assault)

DC:
    Breton - War Wagon (artillery)
    Orc - Siege Tower (armor)
    Redguard - Duneripper (assault)

EP:
    Nord - Mammoth (artillery)
    Dunmer - Stilt Strider (armor)
    Argonian - Wammasu (assault)

Yes.
    Personally I would leave the Dwemer out of the running for these but I LOVE the idea.

Some Recommendations:

- To make it fair, and to encourage the expansion of guild systems. Have it cost a great deal. IE: if in the future when/if these are looked at as a possibility, grant the ability for individuals to donate AP gained (to a cap) into a guild bank just as you might donate gold. And boom, a guild will be able to afford this much more swiftly than any individual would. Limit of 1 on any person (bank or bag) at any given time.

- Have these behemoths be worth 10/20 or 11/20 siege so that there's never more than 1 attacking a particular keep. That would allow them to be as powerful as 10 single pieces of siege equipment and get away with it.

- Have it take a few people to operate. Maybe 3. 1 to drive and work the frontal attacks. 1 to do something else that I can't think of right now and 1 to sit swivel at the top to use a bow to aid the horde of fellow attackers on the ground with some sort of ranged attacks.

- Don't make the driver(s) immune to damage but give them a nice bit of reduction. Say 30-40% reduction to incoming damage. And should the driver die, his place can be taken by another attacker. Same with the rest of the occupants. Until the siege beast is destroyed.

And yes.

I would love having this along with cavalry combat, especially if the mounted combat counted toward siege weapons. As it is right now we've got stationary weapons that are very powerful but leave you a sitting duck. Any kind of mobile siege would be outstanding.
    Former Guildmaster of the Legion of Mournhold
    XBL: GuyNamedSean
    PC: GuyNamedSeanPC
    Options
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I definitely like the idea of different options for the war mounts, as long as there are checks and balances to prevent the battlefield from becoming over-run with war mounts. I think there could be a real danger of players wanting these things instead of siege weapons (for good reason!).

Having different mounts with different abilities could lead to players having to use the mounts tactically, could be interesting!
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Options
  • RDMyers65b14_ESO
    RDMyers65b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In Orsinium, there are the six legged creatures that I forget the name of that is the size of mammoths. There are even mammoths (and pocket mammoths) and of course, war bears.
    Options