The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

And They Say That Bow is Fine as is

Germtrocity
Germtrocity
✭✭✭✭
So you complain about bow being too strong, hmm?
Bologna, bow is perfectly fine as is, not OP or unbalanced at all! It is exactly where it should be and working as intended!
If this doesn't show how broken bow is then there is no hope.

Snipe%202.6k%20damage%20not%20OP%20at%20all.png

The most frustrating part is that I was hearing the snipes all along but since arrows make hardly any noticeable trace by the person firing them, it is almost impossible to locate exactly where they are coming from at times, especially when you are being max ranged.

And also why is the most powerful weapon in the game also allowed max range and a healing debuff? I know this subject has been visited countless times, but I just had to add this as i find it ridiculous that this happened :smiley:

And as a side note, I am not a vampire and I am running full impen so all damage was more or less calculated normally.

Why doesn't my crystal frag hit 2.6k damage zeni!? Y u no luv sorc!?

-And to clarify, I really am not even mad at this, it is just quite silly and laughable at this point :expressionless:
Edited by Germtrocity on February 11, 2015 3:48AM
  • Dekkameron
    Dekkameron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be fair, the one that killed you didn't have a healing debuff. but it obviously didn't matter anyway.
    - Veteran Combat Librarian -
  • Germtrocity
    Germtrocity
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dekkameron wrote: »
    To be fair, the one that killed you didn't have a healing debuff. but it obviously didn't matter anyway.

True, but I just find it silly how much damage it did :lol:
  • aco5712
    aco5712
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The damage was so high because of the ambush. It gave the sneak attack a 36% extra buff.

I believe that the long range damage buff should be reversed. Surely you get more power from a arrow when the target is closer to you rather then 50m away where the amount of air resistance would slow it down considerably. That would be a great way to combat the powerful nature of snipe.
    Banned for Naming and Shaming exploiters. Great ideology ZOS.
    #FreeLeo

Main: Vir Cor | Dragonknight
    Alt: Leo Cor | Nightblade
    Alt: Leonidas Cor | Templar

Guild: K-Hole
    Youtube: CorESO
    DK PvP Tank/DPS Hybrid Build (2.1+): Cor Leonis
  • Holycannoli
    Holycannoli
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Is this 1.6?
  • RinaldoGandolphi
    RinaldoGandolphi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Run Radiant Magelight, Nerf sneak attack damage against you by 56 %

Radiant magelight prevents all steath attacks from stunning you.

Radiant Magelight allows you to see who is shooting you.

The shots are coming from behind you 9 out of 10 times.

Now go my child, and trashcan you some archers :)

Rinaldo Gandolphi-Breton Sorcerer Daggerfall Covenant
    Juste Gandolphi Dark Elf Templar Daggerfall Covenant
    Richter Gandolphi - Dark Elf Dragonknight Daggerfall Covenant
    Mathias Gandolphi - Breton Nightblade Daggerfall Covenant
    RinaldoGandolphi - High Elf Sorcerer Aldmeri Dominion
    Officer Fire and Ice
    Co-GM - MVP

Sorcerer's - The ONLY class in the game that is punished for using its class defining skill (Bolt Escape)

"Here in his shrine, that they have forgotten. Here do we toil, that we might remember. By night we reclaim, what by day was stolen. Far from ourselves, he grows ever near to us. Our eyes once were blinded, now through him do we see. Our hands once were idle, now through them does he speak. And when the world shall listen, and when the world shall see, and when the world remembers, that world will cease to be. - Miraak

• Hughezy
    Hughezy
    ✭✭✭
    aco5712 wrote: »
    The damage was so high because of the ambush. It gave the sneak attack a 36% extra buff.

I believe that the long range damage buff should be reversed. Surely you get more power from a arrow when the target is closer to you rather then 50m away where the amount of air resistance would slow it down considerably. That would be a great way to combat the powerful nature of snipe.

But the ambush was fro someone else?
  • Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You are forgetting about gravity. At long range an arrows path is arched, when it reaches it pinnacle height and starts its downward approach, gravity gives the arrow extra punch. Depending on the type of arrow and how much arch is used the arrow can have 16X more kinetic energy then at point blank range.
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Radiant Magelight is going to be where it is at in 1.6 since Radiant and Inner will provide the same crit buff.

Also, that damage is a bit over the top, but how much armor do you have? If you are in full light armor with the minimum amount of armor possible, then yeh the damage is justified.

Edited by timidobserver on February 11, 2015 4:53AM
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• aco5712
    aco5712
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hughezy wrote: »

But the ambush was fro someone else?

Ambush says the next attack against the target. Doesnt mean it apply to your next attack. I have done 2k ambush to someone when i was ganking with a friend just because he hit the ambush first.
    Ackwalan wrote: »

You are forgetting about gravity. At long range an arrows path is arched, when it reaches it pinnacle height and starts its downward approach, gravity gives the arrow extra punch. Depending on the type of arrow and how much arch is used the arrow can have 16X more kinetic energy then at point blank range.

This is true except every attack attack in this game is straight line except snipe haha. majority rules? xD
    #FreeLeo

• Columba
    Columba
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lol. I rarely die from snipe or focused aim. Block, dodge and get some decent (or any)armor. I only snipe for >1500 against low level players with terrible armor who don't know how to react to being a marked target. I've never hit anyone for that much. sorry don't buy this as anything close to typical.
    Edited by Columba on February 11, 2015 5:13AM
  • Roechacca
    Roechacca
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Glad to hear all is well .
  • Germtrocity
    Germtrocity
    ✭✭✭✭
    running 1k armor
  • Columba
    Columba
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    running 1k armor

well i have 2100. as a sorc, why didn't your other skills block the arrows? if this is your DK, lol.

• timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    running 1k armor

Basically, that means you are running nearly defenseless against physical attacks.
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• Asgari
    Asgari
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Even when overcharged in armor and running 5 impen I will still get hit by 1500 dmg snipes. Idk how bad it is in 1.6 but in pre 1.6 it's the most easy mode broken skill in the game.

Also @ZOS_BrianWheeler‌ @ZOS_AJ‌ @ZOS_JessicaFolsom‌ , is it intended to have one player be able to stand at a resource and snipe down the guards that protect it and just stand on the flag once they are all dead? All while not being attacked once by a guard.
    Formerly @Persian_Princess .. Now @Asgari
    Princess Asgari | Sorc
    Asgari | NB
    -Asgari | Stamplar
    Ariana Kishi | DK | True Liberator of Haderus
    Banner Down!
    No Mercy
    Youtube: Asgari
  • Columba
    Columba
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    running 1k armor

Basically, that means you are running nearly defenseless against physical attacks.

yep. class cannon no healing ward or harness magika, etc. /boggle.
  • Angavar
    Angavar
    ✭✭✭
    To the person saying the ambush buffs the next attack.. The attack after ambush was poison injection, not focused aim. That is entirely base damage.

2.5k is pretty ridiculous, and I know for a fact this player hits those numbers quite consistently. Combined with the range, debuff and short cast time, snipe is definitely too strong with the right build.
    S'irinar the Shadow - VR14 NB (AD)
    Antakh the Bold - VR6 DK (AD)
    Arkoth the Darkweaver - VR5 Sorc (AD)
  • kijima
    kijima
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That player is bow centric, full glass cannon spec. If you get up you'll melt them, but if they manage to tag you like they did, you go boom. It's the risk they run with having spaz damage with a bow.

Sorry, not seeing a problem here. I've done the bow thing, full stamina hitting softcap and weapon damage +40 something into softcap, hits hard but that's about it. Yeah, you can two/three shot people from full health, but that's it. My NB sap tank however can take a stupid amount of damage, block cast, sap, swallow, whitestrakes, absorption field etc...

Focused aim as others have said, doesn't have the health debuff, that would be lethal arrow you are thinking (hilarious when it was the heal debuff from hell working not as intended) but Focused hits harder and longer, and if you've got a few extra passives, also the dominion bow you get even further distance, works well with sorcs bolting off into the distance with mark target, you can still manage to drop them for what feels like a mile away.

Focused aim, I can't solo a resource anymore using just a bow, with lethal arrow, I can do it easily. One night, very bored I decided to go around and solo as many resources I could on a buff server. Probably didn't do my carpal tunnel any good with all that snipe spam.

Bow really is easily countered, use ANY gap closer and BOOM! dead bowtard is dead. It's even funnier to use flappy flap when the bowtard is still shooting arrows at you = dead.

Bow is only strong on people who haven't learned to counter it, after you have worked it out, snipe/lethal/focused is just another skill other players are using on you to try and kill you, nothing more, nothing less.
    Been here since Feb 2014 - You'd think I'd be half reasonable at this game by now...

A'marta - AD Sorc Tank
    Kijima - AD DK Derps
    Annure - AD NB Derps
    Boom Crash Opera - AD Sorc DPS

• Greagor
    Greagor
    ✭✭✭
    obviously the only people who agree at this point that the bow is fine as it is.. are bow users.
    Kill one man, and you are a murderer. Kill millions of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god...
  • Columba
    Columba
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Greagor wrote: »
    obviously the only people who agree at this point that the bow is fine as it is.. are bow users.
    obviously, the only people who think bow is overpowered dont wear decent armor.

• Asgari
    Asgari
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Columba wrote: »

You can't expect every player to wear full heavy or medium. Even with light Armor and immovable armor buff + 5 impen now still hits harder than any other skill.

On my DK it's obviously not an issue unless it's coming from another DK. However on the sorc I've given myself 1600 stamina which I'd say is a decent amount. On the sorc there is no block casting being done and I can only roll a few times. Now just needs to not be so easy mode. It is the only weapon in the game I have an issue with and have used on a NB to know what it is fully capable of.
    Princess Asgari | Sorc
    Asgari | NB
    -Asgari | Stamplar
    Banner Down!
    No Mercy
  • Columba
    Columba
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Columba wrote: »

You can't expect every player to wear full heavy or medium. Even with light Armor and immovable armor buff + 5 impen now still hits harder than any other skill.

On my DK it's obviously not an issue unless it's coming from another DK. However on the sorc I've given myself 1600 stamina which I'd say is a decent amount. On the sorc there is no block casting being done and I can only roll a few times. Now just needs to not be so easy mode. It is the only weapon in the game I have an issue with and have used on a NB to know what it is fully capable of.

well it's unrealistic to have high stamina and dps without any downside. Sorc have access to other protections, no? I seem to hit nothing but shields when I shoot sorcs....before they blast me down or port away.

Edited by Columba on February 11, 2015 6:22AM
  • kijima
    kijima
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, if it's so OP was doesn't everyone use a bow?

I'll give you a hint, it's not that OP. Anyone can use a bow, you just have to spec a certain way to utilize it well. 7 medium, the right mundas, class and race helps, flawless dawnbreaker, some nasty enchants like befoul or maybe armour debuff, the right gear, hundigs, archers mind, sentry set, shadow walker. You know how to build it, it's pretty easy to make a maximum bowtard to the extreme.

Not defending bow, it's strong, always has been.

P.S. I'm preferring my sorc with destro/resto over bow, so I'm not defending it, still like to play bowtard though. It's funny.

Been here since Feb 2014 - You'd think I'd be half reasonable at this game by now...

A'marta - AD Sorc Tank
    Kijima - AD DK Derps
    Annure - AD NB Derps
    Boom Crash Opera - AD Sorc DPS

• Roechacca
    Roechacca
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

24111566.jpg

6KjLGrXxsy-12.png
    Edited by Roechacca on February 11, 2015 6:34AM
  • Asgari
    Asgari
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    kijima wrote: »
    So, if it's so OP was doesn't everyone use a bow?

I'll give you a hint, it's not that OP. Anyone can use a bow, you just have to spec a certain way to utilize it well. 7 medium, the right mundas, class and race helps, flawless dawnbreaker, some nasty enchants like befoul or maybe armour debuff, the right gear, hundigs, archers mind, sentry set, shadow walker. You know how to build it, it's pretty easy to make a maximum bowtard to the extreme.

Not defending bow, it's strong, always has been.

P.S. I'm preferring my sorc with destro/resto over bow, so I'm not defending it, still like to play bowtard though. It's funny.

Now is the most widely used weapon in the game.. It yields the highest since target dps in trials now too stacking poison damage. There is just no reason why it should have a short cast time, low cost, furthest range, highest damage, heal debuff.

I'm all for having diversity when it comes to playing games because without it they become stale. However many recent nerfs to class skill have occurred because of how users complaining about survivability. 8/10 times it's incredibly hard to figure out where 1 snipe came from let alone 5+.

Obviously you get your occasional casual who tries to snipe at 5m. But at increased range from stealth it is a joke how easy people die. I was reminded all too well last time when I joins a friend to gank with them and before I could even get off a mages furry he had already sniped them to death in 2 hits.
    Princess Asgari | Sorc
    Asgari | NB
    -Asgari | Stamplar
    Banner Down!
    No Mercy
  • aco5712
    aco5712
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Angavar wrote: »
    To the person saying the ambush buffs the next attack.. The attack after ambush was poison injection, not focused aim. That is entirely base damage.

2.5k is pretty ridiculous, and I know for a fact this player hits those numbers quite consistently. Combined with the range, debuff and short cast time, snipe is definitely too strong with the right build.

@Angavar‌

That is a poison injection dot counter. Dots arent effected by the ambush power up. You can tell its the dot counter because its doing 700 dmg, where as his initial poison injection did 170. 170x1.36 =/= 700
    Edited by aco5712 on February 11, 2015 7:05AM
    #FreeLeo

• aco5712
    aco5712
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even when overcharged in armor and running 5 impen I will still get hit by 1500 dmg snipes. Idk how bad it is in 1.6 but in pre 1.6 it's the most easy mode broken skill in the game.

@Princess_Asgari‌

I was doing some ganking damage testing with my NB. Melee ganking > ranged ganking. Highest i got my snipe on a giant was 19106 in cyro. Ambush did 22940, surprise attack did 27833 and wrecking blow did 30k+. These were all under the same conditions and buffs and same giants.

Note: i didnt use 3600 CP. I only used around 30/40 in the tree so its safe to assume its roughly the numbers about a week or 2 after live.
    Edited by aco5712 on February 11, 2015 7:12AM
    #FreeLeo

• Wahee
    Wahee
    ✭✭✭
    In 1.6 my bow heavy attack hits 500 harder than snipe. That's non crit. Sneak attacks scale even higher. No one will use snipe for anything but the heal debuff once 1.6 hits and people figure it out. You might as well stop arguing about snipe, it'll be useless soon enough.
    Edited by Wahee on February 11, 2015 7:12AM
    Mostly Harmless: PvP leader and officer
    mostly-harmless-guild.com
  • Asgari
    Asgari
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

@Princess_Asgari‌

I was doing some ganking damage testing with my NB. Melee ganking > ranged ganking. Highest i got my snipe on a giant was 19106 in cyro. Ambush did 22940, surprise attack did 27833 and wrecking blow did 30k+. These were all under the same conditions and buffs and same giants.

In 1.6 I did hear snipe is doing less damage but wasn't the cast time shortened even further? My only concern is that 1.6 bows become even more widely used because of AoE changes and how negate will work. DKs can't leap up onto keep walls as easy anymore and now even more archers have free reign when being sieged.

I understand the concept of bows having far ranged abilities, I just don't think one ability should be the only one spammed. Why is venom arrow and poison injection so even to other abilities for damage and debuffs, but snipe stands out on its on.

Also isn't 2h broken right now for some buffs along with destro heavy attacks?

Annnnnd I heard some players using all 3600cp are doing like 1m+ dmg with certain combos haha why did they add all those cp so dumb. Can't test any of this now.
    Princess Asgari | Sorc
    Asgari | NB
    -Asgari | Stamplar
    Banner Down!
    No Mercy
  • aco5712
    aco5712
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@Princess_Asgari‌

In 1.6 I did hear snipe is doing less damage but wasn't the cast time shortened even further? My only concern is that 1.6 bows become even more widely used because of AoE changes and how negate will work. DKs can't leap up onto keep walls as easy anymore and now even more archers have free reign when being sieged.

I understand the concept of bows having far ranged abilities, I just don't think one ability should be the only one spammed. Why is venom arrow and poison injection so even to other abilities for damage and debuffs, but snipe stands out on its on.

Also isn't 2h broken right now for some buffs along with destro heavy attacks?

Annnnnd I heard some players using all 3600cp are doing like 1m+ dmg with certain combos haha why did they add all those cp so dumb. Can't test any of this now.

Its 1 second but 0.1 secs isnt that much of a difference imo. Bow and 2h are gonna be the new FOTM. They will be everywhere when 1.6 drops. Destro heavy is broken only with blur and evasion as far as i know.
    Edited by aco5712 on February 11, 2015 7:23AM
    #FreeLeo