The PTS is now offline for the patch 10.0.0 maintenance and is currently unavailable.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656543/temporarily-taking-down-the-pts-the-pc-na-live-server
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

Laundering = net loss?

danno8
danno8
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
What am I missing?

It seems the cost for laundering an item is far more than the price you get for just selling it to the fence. It is also way higher than the price you get for it after it is laundered.

So what is the point of laundering your stolen wares?

It would seem a fee to get it laundered should allow you to try to get an even better price (net) by taking the risk of selling it to in-town vendors while sneaking around guards. Or at least that's what I thought it would be like.
  • PlagueMonk
    PlagueMonk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You get to actually use/have them.

Currently, if you have a stolen item on you and you are caught, that item is confiscated, *poof* gone.

Also supposedly, if you are wearing a stolen item (say a nice shirt you found), that alone will trigger a guard response (how they know it's stolen is beyond me)

So you are paying to make these items usable and free and clear if caught.
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PlagueMonk wrote: »
    You get to actually use/have them.

Currently, if you have a stolen item on you and you are caught, that item is confiscated, *poof* gone.

Also supposedly, if you are wearing a stolen item (say a nice shirt you found), that alone will trigger a guard response (how they know it's stolen is beyond me)

So you are paying to make these items usable and free and clear if caught.

So it's only for "usable" items? Because it sure isn't for any pathway to profit. Currently it is cheaper to have any "stuff to sell" item confiscated than it is to launder it.
  • c0rp
    c0rp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im sure some clothing will be "rare" and the RPers will pay good gold for it laundered.
    Force weapon swap to have priority over EVERYTHING. Close enough.
    Make stamina builds even with magicka builds.
    Disable abilities while holding block.
    Give us a REASON to do dungeons more than once.
    Remove PVP AoE CAP. It is ruining Cyrodiil.
    Fix/Remove Forward Camps. They are ruining Cyrodiil.
    Impenetrability needs to REDUCE CRIT DAMAGE. Not negate entire builds.
    Werewolf is not equal to Vamps/Bats.
  • Lobharvey
    Lobharvey
    ✭✭✭
    So basically 99% of stolen items are intended to be sold at a fence. I can see the logic on this with higher end or rare items like clothes for example, but it's pretty ridiculous for items such as provisioning mats. Those laundering prices should at least be significantly reduced if not completely thrown out for basic mats. If not, a player's main way to procure mats will be grocers or the less likely found in non-owned and harder to find containers scattered across Tamriel. Seems to be another gold sink IMO.
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lobharvey wrote: »
    ... it's pretty ridiculous for items such as provisioning mats. Those laundering prices should at least be significantly reduced if not completely thrown out for basic mats. If not, a player's main way to procure mats will be grocers or the less likely found in non-owned and harder to find containers scattered across Tamriel. Seems to be another gold sink IMO.

I believe for provisioning you can make the food/drink and the end result is clean, even if you don't launder.
  • Sasky
    Sasky
    ✭✭✭
    So it's only for "usable" items? Because it sure isn't for any pathway to profit. Currently it is cheaper to have any "stuff to sell" item confiscated than it is to launder it.

You're not able to list stolen items in a guild store or send them in the mail. You cannot trade stolen items. You can't even throw them in the bank.

So, how are you going to sell your racial motif book you stole without laundering?
    Sasky (Zaniira, Daggerfall Covenant)
    Addons: AutoInvite, CyrHUD, Others
  • Dreamo84
    Dreamo84
    ✭✭✭
    Lobharvey wrote: »
    So basically 99% of stolen items are intended to be sold at a fence. I can see the logic on this with higher end or rare items like clothes for example, but it's pretty ridiculous for items such as provisioning mats. Those laundering prices should at least be significantly reduced if not completely thrown out for basic mats. If not, a player's main way to procure mats will be grocers or the less likely found in non-owned and harder to find containers scattered across Tamriel. Seems to be another gold sink IMO.

Well, I think stealing ingredients as a primary/easy way of doing provisioning was an odd design choice from the beginning.

I think you also might be looking at this system the wrong way. At it's heart the Elder Scrolls series has been roleplaying games about choices. Crime not having any consequences was sorely missed at the game's launch.

You shouldn't look at this system as something you have to min/max to get the most out of. Just because the system to steal stuff exists in the game, doesn't mean you have to do it.
    Dream it, wish it, do it... or something...
  • Rebeccas04nub18_ESO
    If it's a Daedric motif or a vr10 level recipe, the basic price is minimal so laundering should be cheap and that would be worth it.
    Wicked Felina/ Khajiit NB DC