The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

[PTS 1.6] I'm pretty sure this is not how you block with a sword.

Cyhawk
Cyhawk
✭✭✭
6j4VeLc.png

Really? You want to hold a sharpened blade designed to cut through armor and kill people right next to your nose in an attempt to block an attack? This is just one step removed from licking glowing hot metal.

Come on ZoS's Animation team! =)

Speaking of animations, can we get unique idle ones for each type of destro staff like the resto staff does? Maybe even idle animations for when you're afk for a period of time. Just a thought.
  • Sindala
    Sindala
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ahh the old 'I can't see them so they can't see me' defence. ;)
    Being First is not the prize, it just mean's everyone can stab you in the back.
  • rawne1980b16_ESO
    rawne1980b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah ZOS, make it realistic.

Now excuse me while I call forth my horse out of thin air and change my armour to one of the 8 full sets I keep in my bottomless bags and then charge into battle while spitting fire in peoples faces and covering myself in molten hot spikes.

Gotta love the realism.
    Edited by rawne1980b16_ESO on January 31, 2015 7:54PM
  • Dave2836
    Dave2836
    ✭✭✭
    Well technically, we're supposed to block the strike with the sword guard, parry with the blade, and counter with the pommel/handle. Well that's just the theory anyways. Real application is to swing it faster and more accurately than the opponent while slipping and ducking with footwork and using punches and kicks to force the opponent odf balance.
  • wraith808
    wraith808
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can't see me 'cause I'm leaning!
    Quasim ibn-Muhammad - VR 12 Redguard Dragon Knight
    Taladriel Vanima - VR 5 Altmer Nightblade
    Ambalyo iyo Bogaadin - VR 1 Redguard Sorceror
  • Cyhawk
    Cyhawk
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah ZOS, make it realistic.

Now excuse me while I call forth my horse out of thin air and change my armour to one of the 8 full sets I keep in my bottomless bags and then charge into battle while spitting fire in peoples faces and covering myself in molten hot spikes.

Gotta love the realism.

Its not a realism thing its an intelligence thing. If anyone did that in a fight the first thing that would happen is they hit their sword back into their face.

Heck I'm not even complaining about the Sword/Shield heavy attacks that drop your shield and if you actually hit anything solid would dislocate your shoulder, or how Bow attacks are completely unrealistic and slow (Note: Watch lars anderson's videos as a reference video on how bows would/should be used) or even how wild 2h attacks are and would get you killed. At least they look like they won't hurt yourself by doing it (ok 1h/shield would). =)
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't figure out why zos insists on using crappy animations and stances instead of getting with the times and using motion capture technology.

Everything in this game looks stiff and fake.
    PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • firstdecan
    firstdecan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dave2836 wrote: »
    Well technically, we're supposed to block the strike with the sword guard, parry with the blade, and counter with the pommel/handle. Well that's just the theory anyways. Real application is to swing it faster and more accurately than the opponent while slipping and ducking with footwork and using punches and kicks to force the opponent odf balance.

From my limited experience, what they show would be more typical of a parry with a 2H weapon, where you would have the weapon pointing out a bit (not straight up in the air), and then pivot at the waist to move the attack away from your body.

The game mechanics don't distinguish between a block and a parry, and let's face it, this is a fantasy RPG and will never be absolutely realistic. The goal should be "reasonably plausible."

The other thing is that the toon is wielding a 1H sword with no shield, which is not a supported skill line in this game. He's obviously had no training to fight like that, maybe ZOS needs to create a 1H skill line so he can learn some better defensive techniques.
  • RedTalon
    RedTalon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks good to me!
  • superquadockyb14_ESO
    They could fix it if they just made his other hand hold the upper part of the blade.
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Equip a shield with that 1H sword. Or another sword. Problem will go away.
  • Amsel_McKay
    Amsel_McKay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And here I am looking at the ground textures and thinking... wow low rez...
  • rawne1980b16_ESO
    rawne1980b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cyhawk wrote: »
    Its not a realism thing its an intelligence thing. If anyone did that in a fight the first thing that would happen is they hit their sword back into their face.

And the second I covered my body in fiery spikes i'd burn to death.

Much like breathing fire wouldn't do my mouth much good.

When you play a video game you have to have a certain level of suspension of disbelief or we'd be arguing all day about things that shouldn't be there because they are silly when compared to the "real world".

If we're going to base everything in ESO on realism then we'd never be able to play the game. We're dead at start and there is no way we'd be getting out of that predicament realistically.
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They could fix it if they just made his other hand hold the upper part of the blade.

This.
    PS4 / NA
  • Circuitous
    Circuitous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cyhawk wrote: »

And the second I covered my body in fiery spikes i'd burn to death.

Much like breathing fire wouldn't do my mouth much good.

When you play a video game you have to have a certain level of suspension of disbelief or we'd be arguing all day about things that shouldn't be there because they are silly when compared to the "real world".

If we're going to base everything in ESO on realism then we'd never be able to play the game. We're dead at start and there is no way we'd be getting out of that predicament realistically.

This argument is ridiculous. There's a certain allowable suspension of disbelief when it comes to a world with magic in it, but this just looks like an incomplete animation. "But we can summon horses from thin air~!" isn't a good excuse to not bother animating the other arm at all.
    Thank Stendarr it’s Fredas.
    Elanirne: Altmer Templar Healer, DC
    Auria Dolabella: Imperial Nightblade Tank, DC
  • Valen_Byte
    Valen_Byte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I just don't get why they even messed with the animations. I don't think I have ever seen anyone complaining about the ones we have now. Seems like a huge waste of time and money on there part.
    ***Dixon Kay MagDK FORMER EMPEROR***Deca Dix MagDK FORMER EMPORER***Valonious MagPlar FORMER EMPEROR***
    GM of BYTE
    MAY YOUR DEATHS BE SWIFT, AND YOUR LOAD SCREENS LONG.
    And alien tears will fill for him, Pity’s long-broken urn, For his mourners will be outcast men, And outcasts always mourn
  • Dreamo84
    Dreamo84
    ✭✭✭
    Why would anyone be using only one sword and no shield anyways? I mean, beyond the tutorial maybe... is that really an issue worth posting about though?
    Edited by Dreamo84 on February 1, 2015 1:30AM
    Dream it, wish it, do it... or something...
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dreamo84 wrote: »
    Why would anyone be using only one sword and no shield anyways? I mean, beyond the tutorial maybe... is that really an issue worth posting about though?

It's an insight into the generally lazy development of this game.
    PS4 / NA