The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Less feminine robes for male mages

• nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Tapio75 wrote: »
    What is so damned hard to understand that Jerkins are jackets and robes are robes? Robes on male are not feminine dresses either and all we basically have is either peasants pants and such or a dress for male mages.

i do not understand in general the opposition of more options either O_o More options, especially on clothing do not hurt anyone.

other thing i have been asking for a long time is separate dress to use with any top. Same answer, there are allready panst.. Go take a look of pictures of jackets, pants, dresses and robes and see the difference if you need education on clothing.

If you're asking for loose-fitting clothing in an MMO of this scale, it ain't happening. The animations would grind the server to a screeching halt as soon as someone took a step in their flowing, elegant robe (wait, doesn't that sound more feminine?).
    ----
    Murray?
    Options
  • Tapio75
    Tapio75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Actually :disappointed_relieved:
    i just realized that what i really want is cloaks to use with existing clothing..

Silly me >_<
    >>PC-EU Mostly PVE. Played since BETA<<
    Options
  • JamilaRaj
    JamilaRaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    No. If you want to dress like man, wear heavy.
    Options
  • ArconSeptim
    ArconSeptim
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    make them like scotish dresses they are shity but they are dresses
    Options
  • BBSooner
    BBSooner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    I don't mind more cosmetic styles, but I also don't find the current light armor feminine when worn by a male.
    Options
  • Psychobunni
    Psychobunni
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SkillzMFG wrote: »
    I fully agree with OP and I would also add that IMO most shoulder pieces are looking out of proportion, and are way too small.

In the eye of the beholder lol....when crafting a new set I'm always looking for the smallest shoulder pieces, best blend I can find. I can't stand that some look like a monstrous cardboard cutout from the 90's. One of those things damned if they do and damned if they don't I guess.

I didn't vote because I'm a female who hates being stuck in a dress too! so i don't even know how to answer that :s
    If options weren't necessary, and everyone played the same way, no one would use addons. Fix the UI!

Options
  • kieso
    kieso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SkillzMFG wrote: »
    I fully agree with OP and I would also add that IMO most shoulder pieces are looking out of proportion, and are way too small.

In the eye of the beholder lol....when crafting a new set I'm always looking for the smallest shoulder pieces, best blend I can find. I can't stand that some look like a monstrous cardboard cutout from the 90's. One of those things damned if they do and damned if they don't I guess.

I didn't vote because I'm a female who hates being stuck in a dress too! so i don't even know how to answer that :s

you wear that dress and you like it young lady!
    Options
  • PBpsy
    PBpsy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Where is the option?
    -I think that any guy who has any problems with the robes has serious sexual identity issues.
    Edited by PBpsy on January 17, 2015 3:34PM
    ESO forums achievements
    Proud fanboi
    Elitist jerk
    Troll
    Hater
    Fan of icontested(rainbow colors granted)
    Options
  • Ahdora
    Ahdora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    What is so damned hard to understand that Jerkins are jackets and robes are robes? Robes on male are not feminine dresses either and all we basically have is either peasants pants and such or a dress for male mages.

i do not understand in general the opposition of more options either O_o More options, especially on clothing do not hurt anyone.

other thing i have been asking for a long time is separate dress to use with any top. Same answer, there are allready panst.. Go take a look of pictures of jackets, pants, dresses and robes and see the difference if you need education on clothing.

So how do you propose that robes are made more masculine? A bulge in the crotch region? Cmon this is ridiculous. Lawl.

Also I'm a chick and I've never in my life worn a dress or seen anyone wearing a dress that looks anything like mage's robes, outside of cosplay.

I would definitely wear one,though.... *looks into local seamstresses*
    Edited by Ahdora on January 17, 2015 3:39PM
    Heals With Stick, V11 Argonian Nightblade Healer, NA-EP
    Options
  • SFBryan18
    SFBryan18
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    SFBryan18 wrote: »
    I would like to be able to remove the face mask from my Bretons hood.

Daedric or Ancient Elf hood. Problem solved.

OP, I'd suggest playing a character who's comfortable enough with their sexuality that wearing robes doesn't make them feel feminine. They're traditional mage's garb in fantasy worlds.

Is it the same hood?

No. It doesn't have the face mask. That's kind of the point of different styles having different looks.

It's not the same hood.

Quite right. I figured that two lines wouldn't make a massive difference to most players. But really, you already understand that there's a point to having different styles with different looks. Why are you asking for a massive change to the essentials of one of the racial styles? Would you also like them to remove fur from Nordic armor?

I said the ability to remove it, not to remove it completely from everyone.

Because it blocks my face and I want to take it off, but as a Breton, I want to wear Breton armor just without the stupid mask. Is it really so hard to understand such a simple request?

Yes. It is.

The whole point of racial armors is that they have a specific style to them. I might as well demand that Khajiit have the option to create a helm that doesn't look like a cat's head. I have 14 other options that don't involve cat's heads.

That is not an equal comparison. Yours example is of the shape of the helmet, where as mine is just a simple removal of a piece that covers your mouth. When you look at the piece, you can obviously tell that if it were a real outfit, that part would be detachable. And I can ask for anything I want. If you disagree, fine, but I want Breton armor without a face mask and I will continue to ask for it whenever it comes up. You can't change my preference with some half ass faulty logic. You say the armor is suppose to be unique, but the design of the texture is enough for it to be unique without some mask covering up my face.
    Edited by SFBryan18 on January 17, 2015 3:54PM
    Options
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Even though there are jerkins, thing is, can you imagine Gandalf in Jerkins?

Yes, a Jerkin is also a Tunic, and Gandalf wore a Jerkin/Tunic under his robes, you can see in the films.

Now what you meant is can we picture Gandalf without his Robes, which I can't. But that's not really relevant, because that's another fictional universe.

Now if you asked could I imagine Shalidor not wearing his robes, then Yes I could, I could easily picture him in an Ancient Elf Tunic, Or a Breton Tunic (but weirdly not a Nord Tunic).
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
    Options
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    I actually feel that the robes for females need to be MORE feminine! While I shudder in disgust over chainmaille bikinis ubiquitous in other games masquerading as "heavy" armor (and can we talk about the female heavy Orc armor ZOS????) I think I'd LIKE it if we had some female robes with some actual scooped neckline and even cleavage! It's CLOTH fer pete's sake! Yet the Imperial robes all look like they ALSO have a good deal of LEATHER in them. LAME ZOS! GIMMEE A TOGA DAMMIT! LOL

Failing that (because I don't want to see the more modest robes go away so we'd really need a new Motif and rather than being Racial it could be...Scanty? Seducer? LOL) y'all need to get on the stick and start makin' us some smexy cloth COSTUMES to wear!
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

Options
  • BBSooner
    BBSooner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    MornaBaine wrote: »
    I actually feel that the robes for females need to be MORE feminine! While I shudder in disgust over chainmaille bikinis ubiquitous in other games masquerading as "heavy" armor (and can we talk about the female heavy Orc armor ZOS????) I think I'd LIKE it if we had some female robes with some actual scooped neckline and even cleavage! It's CLOTH fer pete's sake! Yet the Imperial robes all look like they ALSO have a good deal of LEATHER in them. LAME ZOS! GIMMEE A TOGA DAMMIT! LOL

Failing that (because I don't want to see the more modest robes go away so we'd really need a new Motif and rather than being Racial it could be...Scanty? Seducer? LOL) y'all need to get on the stick and start makin' us some smexy cloth COSTUMES to wear!

I dunno, I kind of appreciate that people have the option to go "sexy plate" with the Orsimer armor, especially since they hold to full coverage on all the other heavy armors (not counting the plate looking costumes). More choice, etc etc.
    Options
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    BBSooner wrote: »

I dunno, I kind of appreciate that people have the option to go "sexy plate" with the Orsimer armor, especially since they hold to full coverage on all the other heavy armors (not counting the plate looking costumes). More choice, etc etc.

I am of the school that believes that ARMOR needs to look and function like actual ARMOR. I SUPPOSE you can say "It's magic armor!" which is pretty much what I do with the Vet 6 costume but I really don't want to see that fantasy look become the norm in this game. I LIKE the heavy and medium armors we have now.
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

Options
  • BBSooner
    BBSooner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    BBSooner wrote: »

I am of the school that believes that ARMOR needs to look and function like actual ARMOR. I SUPPOSE you can say "It's magic armor!" which is pretty much what I do with the Vet 6 costume but I really don't want to see that fantasy look become the norm in this game. I LIKE the heavy and medium armors we have now.

I agree. That's why I appreciate ZOS chose "plate looks like full plate" styles for the vast majority. I am glad to have the option of "less functional" looks as it were, though.
    Options
  • Scamandros
    Scamandros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    I need more feminine options. These male robes do not do my moobs justice
    Aeryj
    Fantasia
    Blades of Vengeance

Mighty Eagle by serjustin19 for your viewing convenience.
    Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle.
    I fell out of my nest

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    I screech I screech
    but no one hears me

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    I started to wonder off
    I want to come back but lost my way.

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    I came face to face
    Of Mighty Lion

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    I came to fall in love with Mighty Lion
    Who's claws is sharp and just

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    Then suddenly
    Mighty Dragon Came

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Dragon roared aloud
    Who's mighty paws make earthquake
    that quivers underneath our feet

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    Soon battle rages
    Between the Mighty Lion and Mighty Dragon

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    My heart grows heavy
    For who do I belong in Scourge PS4 EU

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    I continue to battle.
    But Battle I must do within myself

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    I screech, I screech
    Long and hard. I made a fuss

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    Then suddenly
    As if I was dreaming

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    I heard a screech
    But suddenly, I attack Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle had to defend

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    I know I was fighting for Mighty Lion
    So I fought back.

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    I attack I attack
    But to no avail

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    The Mighty claws who's mighty claws
    Felt unnatural to me and very clumsy to me

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    Why I have chosen to not stay with you
    I do not know. I am complicated at that.

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    I have destroyed Mighty Eagle
    My own kin in Scourge PS4 EU

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    I crawled into a ball
    Weep to no avail

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    Lost in my whirling thoughts
    My heart and mind is clouded

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    I have served Mighty Lion over a year
    I thought Mighty Lion is were I belong anew

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    I finally contacted
    Mighty Eagle

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle says they love me
    In reality I love them also.

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    I continued to clash
    At Mighty Eagle however

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    But clashing with Mighty Eagle
    Just not feel right

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    I have made a wrong choice I now believe
    Terrible and unjust of what I did

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    For am I not a monster
    For attacking a faction who loves me instead

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    I was wrong
    Mighty Eagle was right

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    Come. Please take me back Mighty Eagle
    For I believe I now know

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    Were I truly belong
    For indeed I thought

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    That Mighty Lion
    Is were I belong.

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    O how I was so wrong Mighty Eagle
    I was gravely wrong and such a fool I was.

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    You have met
    Princess Justine

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    Princess Justine who attacked
    Mighty Eagle

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    I know this was wrong
    And so to does Princess Justine

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    With our clashing together
    I now know were I truly belong in Scourge PS4 EU I believe.

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    Have you all not heard
    The famous saying. That is very wise and so very true?

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    Let me repeat the famous saying
    that is very wise and so true

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    It is
    My Enemy, Enemy's, Enemy's
    Is my friend

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    I come to thee Mighty Eagle
    And so to Princess Justine.

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    Who used to serve Mighty Lion
    But Now serve Mighty Eagle
    For the very first time in her career.

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    Princess Justine and are one in the same
    Were I go. She will go to. For she believes it is right choice

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    We are all yours
    O Mighty Eagle

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    No one else but you
    I feel peaceful. Unafraid

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    I belong to you O mighty Eagle
    I am so relieved to hear myself to say that

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    Princess Justine and I

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    Now flies and fights alongside with Mighty Eagle
    Who's Mighty talons stand for sacred Freedom

Written by Serjustin19
    Written on this day
    September 27. The day when My troubled mind is not clouded no longer.
    In the year of my troubles end
    Options
  • badmojo0777b14_ESO
    badmojo0777b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    No
    the robes look like robes to me, standard fantasy robes. maybe we are dealing with insecurity issues?
    Options
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No
    Come on, get in touch with your feminine side and make the women in your life happy! :) Just for you, OP >:) .
    Men-Wearing-Skirts-1.jpg
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
    Options
  • Antiquity
    Antiquity
    ✭✭
    No
    JamilaRaj wrote: »
    No. If you want to dress like man a power ranger/Shredder, wear heavy.

Heavy armor shoulders kill all style I try to have.

Options
  • Kraven
    Kraven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    JamilaRaj wrote: »
    No. If you want to dress like man, wear heavy.

If you want to be a REAL man rip the hides off the beasts you kill with your bare hands, cover your body in their skin. Rip the head off of an enemy and wear it as a hat. Don't clean off the blood from either.
    V14 - IMPERIAL NIGHTBLADE - DPS/TANK
    V13 - BRETON SORCERER - HEALS/DPS
    V2 - REDGUARD DRAGONKNIGHT - MELEE DPS
    V1 - BRETON TEMPLAR - TANK/DPS

to be continued... Nevermind, no longer "to be continued"
    Options
  • Amsel_McKay
    Amsel_McKay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Robes are not "feminine", even the color pink is not "feminine". Your culture has made them "feminine", in the dark ages: men (royal men even) wore pink, red and purple robes all day. In Scotland they had kilts.

I wore my Kilt to a holloween party that my kids went to and all the kids asked why as a boy I was wearing a dress... I had to explain it was a kilt... In the ESO world I just assume that their culture is not so narrow minded.
    Options
  • Tapio75
    Tapio75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    For those who do not read comments before adding..

Again, i earlier realised that what i really wanted was cloaks to use with current robes.

My bad really.
    Options
  • Samadhi
    Samadhi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Maybe it is due to being a man who has worn both robes and skirts outside of game, but not clear on what OP means by making them less "feminine."

A looser fit on the chest and a tighter fit around the legs? Stylistically this would be no more "masculine" as female witches wear these sorts of cuts as well, but that would bring back the kind of Skyrim look of the robes.

Several layers to give the wizened old wizardly look?

Something more like simple monastic robes?

Just broader sleeves?

Would be fine with greater diversity in gears, but it strikes as a little unnecessary and more work than it is worth.

Maybe someday we can have an expansion that provides more styles and cuts to all gear types rather than just Light Armour, but for now am comfortable with where things stand.
    "If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." -- the 14th Dalai Lama
    Wisdom is doing Now that which benefits you later.
    Options
  • Ghanima_Atreides
    Ghanima_Atreides
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    I voted "Other" because my problem isn't with them looking too feminine, it's with them looking too much like dresses especially on females. The males look mostly alright to me. There's nothing wrong with dresses, but I'd prefer more traditional-looking mage robes (looser, often wrapped, with wide sleeves). However, I do realize this has to do with the limitations of the game. One can dream, though. :p
    Edited by Ghanima_Atreides on January 17, 2015 7:42PM
    [The Beauty of Tamriel] My collection of ESO screenshots

Show me a completely smooth operation and I'll show you someone who's covering mistakes. Real boats rock.
    Options
  • Forestd16b14_ESO
    Forestd16b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You do know you have the option to make a shirt instead of robes right?
    Options
  • kelly.medleyb14_ESO
    kelly.medleyb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Every time i wear a robe on my male mage, no matter the style, they look like they are wearing a dress..

I would like to ask good people of ZOS to give male mages some proper mage clothing that does not feel like a dress ^^

I am not talking about timetables here.. Simply asking for some support.. They do know better when it is time to do stuff.. Well they should at least :)

Anyways, support or don't. Important is thart you vote as they say.

I understand what you are saying and I chose yes because the robes look very girly and I know there are manly robes but I would put this as a low priority under flowing capes.
    Options
  • firstdecan
    firstdecan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    You're talking about a length of fabric that covers the legs from the waist to the ankle. How do you make that NOT look like a dress?
    Options
  • NotSo
    NotSo
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other
    I wish the crafting benches gave a more accurate representation for what I am crafting, and a male and female switch to know what x armor looks like on either sex or just display both.
    If that much extra pixel art is too much to ask then maybe I should learn how to make an addon that does that.
    Gar'Sol the Wanderer VR14 Khajiit Sorcerer Spellblade
    Options
  • Tamanous
    Tamanous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't possibly imagine this look (mid level toon) as feminine:

WayofShadow.png

Me thinks the OP doesn't know what robes are not dresses and can't disconnect his views from our "pants" society. Even today there are many many cultures still using robes (pants only came about from horse culture and transitioned many cultures away from previous non-pant style). As others mentioned: the game has alternatives.
    Edited by Tamanous on January 17, 2015 11:28PM
    Options
  • Tapio75
    Tapio75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Tamanous wrote: »
    I can't possibly imagine this look (mid level toon) as feminine:

WayofShadow.png

Me thinks the OP doesn't know what robes are not dresses and can't disconnect his views from our "pants" society. Even today there are many many cultures still using robes (pants only came about from horse culture and transitioned many cultures away from previous non-pant style). As others mentioned: the game has alternatives.

I am not the one telling people that we do not need options for robes since we have pants. Jackets and pants should be kept out of this conversation completely.

I feel a bit of anger towards people assuming i am not tolerant for dress like clothing on men. It might just be that language barriers keep making things sound different than they are meant to be.

larp-costume-abraxas-robe-wizards-robe-2399-p.png

d0f1c4354a7498d23cc4d1fff86f51c9.jpg

Mystic-Sorcerer-Elite-Collection-Adult-Plus-Costume-300x300.jpg

Hooded_Black_Robes_000107108.png

Maybe these clarify what i mean. Take a note of the form.

The problem in ESO is that most pf the clothing are really just "painted" on the skin so they stick to your body shape and feel too tight. Mages use robes to get a loose clothing that will not restrain or hinder any spellcasting. mage robes are not dress robes. Mage robes should be more loose with loose sleeves and less clucky armor pieces like gloves, robes do not have shoulderpads.

Edited by Tapio75 on January 18, 2015 1:34AM
    Options