The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Do you have to beat Molag Bahl to progress?

Skulbow
Skulbow
✭✭
I have been unable to defeat Molag Bahl and I can't bare to go through that again so is it possible to skip this fight but still play on. I am NOT interested in PvP. What about the CP coming will that mean we can progress differently?
  • dharbert
    dharbert
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You can't access the other zones until you complete the storyline and defeat Molag Bal.
  • Black_Wolf88
    Black_Wolf88
    ✭✭✭
    yes, you have to beat him.

beating molag bal is easy. you just have to set up your character with the appropriate skills. some damage some healing and more.

Ps: champion system will be on live servers in 4 weeks from now, and thats just the earliest estimate at this point.
    "The key to immportality is first living a life worth remembering." -Bruce Lee
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can go to Craglorn once you hit V1, but access to the other alliance zones is conditional on defeating Molag Bal.

Theoretically, the fight should get easier the more times you die, but I have yet to test that with my alt, as she's still working though Coldharbour.
    The Moot Councillor
  • Athas24
    Athas24
    ✭✭✭✭
    How is it possible that he is difficult for you at lv 50? What class/ spec are you? maybe we can help out. . .
    ...OverTwerked & Underpaid.
    Rajaat04 in game @Athas24 on forums
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This was a nightmare for me so I totally feel your pain. Invest in good crafted armor. Have lots of points in health. Eat purple food. Kite like mad. Plan to spend at least an hour at this. I think that's the part that freaked me out so badly....how LONG it took compared to EVERY SINGLE OTHER FIGHT I HAD ENCOUNTERED UP TO THAT POINT. Anyway, unless you are a tank, you're gonna have to kite. A LOT.
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• Athas24
    Athas24
    ✭✭✭✭
    I did this as a sorc. Without AOE's and had no problem. Just ignore the adds and down him.
    ...OverTwerked & Underpaid.
    Rajaat04 in game @Athas24 on forums
  • Asasinka
    Asasinka
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe they'll add an option to convince Molag Bal to flee ;)
    I'm fighting for a higher purpose
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BTW...just type in Molag Bal in the search here and you will find scads of threads with good advice on beating him. Here's the one I started when I was at my wit's end.
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/132488/noob-vs-molag-bal-hes-down

• Jitterbug
    Jitterbug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Actually, with a resto staff I wouldn't call him easy, but I definitely wouldn't call him hard either. Maybe I could have lost the fight to fatigue or simply falling asleep, but with a resto staff and a little awareness he can he had.
  • drkeys143
    drkeys143
    ✭✭✭
    Just a thought, but have you realised that when you block the daedroth attacks, they are reflected back and it 1-shots them? Helps to keep them off your back. Use a ranged attack, staff, bow, etc, take lots of health potions with you. What class do you play? I made a vid of the fight, depends on whether it's useful for you though. Don't give up, you will do it :)
    Edited by drkeys143 on December 31, 2014 10:31PM
  • DeLindsay
    DeLindsay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MornaBaine wrote: »
    This was a nightmare for me so I totally feel your pain. Invest in good crafted armor. Have lots of points in health. Eat purple food. Kite like mad. Plan to spend at least an hour at this. I think that's the part that freaked me out so badly....how LONG it took compared to EVERY SINGLE OTHER FIGHT I HAD ENCOUNTERED UP TO THAT POINT. Anyway, unless you are a tank, you're gonna have to kite. A LOT.
    Mannimarco was a PAIN, Molag Bal was a joke. I won't give it away for those who haven't done either fight but if you're struggling with Molag Bal add a heal to your bar (a fast HoT is best) and you'll thank me.
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DeLindsay wrote: »
    Mannimarco was a PAIN, Molag Bal was a joke. I won't give it away for those who haven't done either fight but if you're struggling with Molag Bal add a heal to your bar (a fast HoT is best) and you'll thank me.

Whereas I had the exact opposite problem. I fought Mannimarco the first time and died. Came back and defeated him easily the second go.

And yes, some heals are the way to go.

• Vyle_Byte
    Vyle_Byte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had the absolute hardest time with Molag with my first character, he was a 2H templar, this was back when that was the worst combo ever lol! Took me 2 weeks to beat him, no joke, he was slow as balls and it was so frustrating i almost gave up.

Since then I have beaten him a few times, each time being easier. The suggestions others have given are spot on. Put your points into health, block those daedroth attacks, kite your butt off and for the love of Tamriel stay out of his aoe's! I understand your pain but don't give up!! You can do it!
    Member of the Old Guard
    Mother of the Byte Family
    Vyle Byte||Ivana Byte||Vyible Byte||Hakate Vampler Former EMPRESS BWB||Haan Zolo {Retired} (He swung first)||Lunari ||Wardyn Chalyk Tahno||Dirti Dianah||Bonnie||
    Viva la Byte
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After learning to block the titans and kill them with their own fire balls, on my sorc I found it easiest to kite him and whittle him down with a bow believe it or not.

My DK just kicked his tail. lol
  • thesilverball_ESO
    thesilverball_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    If you're a sorcerer and have some decent pets (ie. your clanfear) I've found they're great. Having him occupied with pets gives you some breathing room and hits him with damage at the same time. Food and good armor are your friend, and try to stay out of the stupid. Good luck.
  • Artemiisia
    Artemiisia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I beat him with a naked templar

we need some information to help you better.

which two weapons do you use
    what is your class
    what armor do you wear, not that it makes that much difference.

how about skills, have you put skill into all of these passives

Racial
    Class skills 3 lines
    the passives for your armor
    mages skill
    fighters skill

Passives, helps you to become stronger, deal more damage and such things
  • whiteshadow711jppreub18_ESO
    whiteshadow711jppreub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tried getting a ALT through with a Stamina build and little to no heals, died multiple times to Manimarco, So I flipped my thinking, I strapped on a Resto staff, skilled it up, got all the passives and respecc'ed as a Magicka build, easy peezy, never got below 50% health, then took on Molag BAL and kicked him in his Bal...err well you know, then when I was finished I respecced back to a Stamina build...

I used to just out level it (when the quest didn't scale) now I just Resto staff it out..
    Signed, Kotaro Atani.PS5 NA
    VR16/ CP 160 Khajiit Nightblade of the Aldmeri Dominion, Guildmaster and Assassin of the Queen's Hand guild on NA PC. PvP Officer in the WOLF guild on NA PS5, and of course Master Thief. Currently 3120 CP out of 3600 CP on NA PS5. Currently 810 CP on NA PC (used for PTS testing purposes only). On PS5 I am also a Master Crafter, all traits done and learned, Jewelry crafting done. all Motifs learned on PS5 except for maybe two-three Motifs. Both Companions are Max level as are their Skills.Warrior, Lover, Thief.... Nightblade. Aldmeri Dominion For Life! For the Queen!! Go Dominion or go home ! "I have no hatred for the races of Man, but they are young. Like all children, they are driven by emotion. They lack the wisdom that comes with age. I would sooner place an Altmer infant on the Ruby Throne than surrender Tamriel to their capricious whims. The Altmer, the Bosmer and the Khajiit share the common traits of intelligence, patience and reason. We do not seek riches or plunder. Domination is not our goal, nor is the acclamation of power for its own sake. Today we make our stand. Today we take back the Ruby Throne, which is ours by ancient right and the blessings of the Divines. Stand with us." ―Your Queen Commands, Ayrenn Arana Aldmeri.(All 18 characters are AD only! This one is a AD Loyalist)Member of ESO Since January 29, 2014, started early Access 3/30/14 on PC, currently subbed on NA PS5 and on NA PC. Note- I only use PC for PTS testing purposes, the PS5 is my dedicated Game Platform.Note- for those that don't know how to say Kotaro Atani it's "Ko tar row Ah ta ni" (Ko with a Oh sound, tar which sounds like the sticky black tar stuff, row like rowing a boat, Ah with a AHHHH sound, Ta with a Tahhh sound, Neeee which sounds like knee)"The blowing sands of time wipe clean the footprints of the past...""Moonsugar may be the key to paradise, but it is through a false door...""A perfect society is always elsewhere..."- Unknown book of Khajiiti proverbs.
  • Shader_Shibes
    Shader_Shibes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never died once on him with 3 vet twinks. First time on my stamina nightblade i just kited him and used crippling grasp. My mate did tell me to block those titans though ^^
  • Skulbow
    Skulbow
    ✭✭
    Thanks for all the advice. No excuses I am just very casual and I suck when you have to be quick. (kite)Probably why I prefer turn based games like civ V.

I haven't used that character since but it was a sorc with destruct staff from memory. I gave up the game for 3 months because of the stress/frustration and have just back again to give it another go . Just levelling up a Templar now but just thinking of that coldharbour/Molag Bahl period makes me wonder if I will continue.

• Artemiisia
    Artemiisia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skulbow wrote: »
    Thanks for all the advice. No excuses I am just very casual and I suck when you have to be quick. (kite)Probably why I prefer turn based games like civ V.

I haven't used that character since but it was a sorc with destruct staff from memory. I gave up the game for 3 months because of the stress/frustration and have just back again to give it another go . Just levelling up a Templar now but just thinking of that coldharbour/Molag Bahl period makes me wonder if I will continue.

with templar, you can use self heal and go to town with molag bal, he has been nerfed a lot since maybe last time you faces him as well.

so the casual player can beat him with ease
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have done Molag Bal in twice now, once on my main stab-happy nightblade, once on my sorc. Both times he was easier then Mannimarco, as long as you remember to dodge his cleaves and jumps, keep mobile, and have some healish stuff ready to last the distance.
  • Etori
    Etori
    ✭✭✭
    I killed him pretty easy on my Templar back during the first month of release. I can't imagine they made him tougher. Load up on healing, and you should be fine.
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I know how you feel. But listen to the people here. You CAN do it...you're just going to have to bone up on some strats, get your heals and passives, good armor, good food and be prepared for the TIME the fight takes on a Sorc.

• Jaerlach
    Jaerlach
    ✭✭✭
    If you are a sorc, critical surge makes this fight insane easy. Since you are dealing so much damage with the divine buff, critical surge will heal your entire health pool on every crit.

Use a crit surge with any weapon with about 20% crit and you just cannot lose.

I suggest a precise destro staff, and crushing shock. If you home to your alliances pvp buff server you'll have enough crit to stay full with crit surge. Just spam crushing shock and keep surge up, and dodge roll his drop from the sky move as it may oneshot a low health char who doesn't block.
    Jaerlach Kesepton (DK)
    The 7th Vanguard
    DC - NA first SO speed run & first Hardmode Speedrun
    NA Record Vet DSA: 11519
  • phairdon
    phairdon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Like others have mentioned.

1.Resto staff.
    2.reflect damage back at adds by blocking them.
    3.Take some food to raise your health level.
    4. Dodge his jump & be ready to run around in a circle as often as possible. If you're a sorcerer, having your familiars helping can be a plus too.

Really wish we only had to do this once, regardless of how many alts a player creates. Like when we get the choice to skip the soul shriven area at the beginning.
    Your immersion is breaking my entitlement. Buff Sorc's. Darkshroud the cremator Death by furRubeus BlackFluffy knight BladesThe Fat PantherPsijic Fungal SausageFlesheater the VileCaspian Rafferty FernsbyArchfiend Warlock PiersThe Black BishopEvil Wizard Lizard (EU)Neberra Vestige Fajeon (EU)Salanis Deathstick (EU)Blood Mage Alchemist (EU)
  • stevepdodson_ESO888
    stevepdodson_ESO888
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate to say it....but this is a 5 to 10 minute fight max.
    Now that it scales up I am saving my next Mr. Bal encounter for the Vet12/14 level just to see if it is any more challenging.

Resto staff is your friend.
    Heavy attacks from distance.
    When he jumps...run away and heal yourself with Rapid Regen and you will nevr need a potion the whole fight.
    Avoid the Big Red Circles of Doom.
    Learn to block/interrupt (now how many times have people pointed that out as a comment/advice on countless different posts). This works wonders for the trash mobs and when he sends down his burning blue balls (now there's a definite chance for someone to make a remark about that...haha).

And then off you go to see Aunty Meridia.
  • phairdon
    phairdon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I hate to say it....but this is a 5 to 10 minute fight max.
    Now that it scales up I am saving my next Mr. Bal encounter for the Vet12/14 level just to see if it is any more challenging.

Resto staff is your friend.
    Heavy attacks from distance.
    When he jumps...run away and heal yourself with Rapid Regen and you will nevr need a potion the whole fight.
    Avoid the Big Red Circles of Doom.
    Learn to block/interrupt (now how many times have people pointed that out as a comment/advice on countless different posts). This works wonders for the trash mobs and when he sends down his burning blue balls (now there's a definite chance for someone to make a remark about that...haha).

And then off you go to see Aunty Meridia.

Thought you needed to beat Molag before you could start vet levels? Has this changed? Been away for 4 months.
    Your immersion is breaking my entitlement. Buff Sorc's. Darkshroud the cremator Death by furRubeus BlackFluffy knight BladesThe Fat PantherPsijic Fungal SausageFlesheater the VileCaspian Rafferty FernsbyArchfiend Warlock PiersThe Black BishopEvil Wizard Lizard (EU)Neberra Vestige Fajeon (EU)Salanis Deathstick (EU)Blood Mage Alchemist (EU)
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    DeLindsay wrote: »

Depends on the class, my DK and Templar found him a cakewalk, my Sorceror struggled, have yet to face him with my Nightblade.

But I Will say the Destro Staff did nothing to him, my sorceror beat him with mages fury and bolt escape (and a few potions), the destro staff I had been using did nothing.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • SteveCampsOut
    SteveCampsOut
    ✭✭✭✭✭

He has gotten easier than he was 3 months ago. Just to let you know. Some Nerfing was done along the way somewhere.
    @ֆȶɛʋɛƈǟʍքֆօʊȶ ʀʋʟɨʄɛ⍟
    Sanguine & Psijic Group Beta Tester.
    Steve's Craftiness Find out what I can make for you at my Google Doc Spreadsheet.
    Pacrooti's Hirelings Website:
    pacrootis.enjin.com/

NA Server:
    Steforax Soulstrong CH782 Sorcerer AD
    Grumpy Kahjiti CH782 Dragonknight AD
    Rheticia Le Drakisius CH782 Nightblade DC
    Razmuzan Thrasmas CH782 Templar EP
    Sheenara Soulstrong CH782 Dragonknight DC
    Erik Ramzey CH782 Nightblade AD
    Growling Kahjiti CH782 Nightblade EP
    One of Many Faces CH782 Sorcerer DC
    Grumpasaurus Rex CH782 Warden DC
    EU Server:
    Guildmaster of Pacrooti's Hirelings AD Based LGBT Friendly Guild.
    Stefrex Souliss CH701 Sorcerer AD
    Grumpy Kahjiti CH701 Dragonknight DC
    Slithisi Ksissi CH701 Nightblade EP
    Pokes-With-Fire CH701 Dragonknight AD
    Josie-The-Pussi-Cat CH701 Templar AD
    Stug-Grog M'God CH701 Templar DC
    One With Many Faces CH701 Nightblade DC
    Trixie Truskan CH701 Sorcerer EP
    Grumpetasaurus Rex CH701 Warden EP
    ESO Plus status: Canceled!
  • stevepdodson_ESO888
    stevepdodson_ESO888
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [deleted my earlier quote from this reply so as not to waste space]

Thought you needed to beat Molag before you could start vet levels? Has this changed? Been away for 4 months.[/quote]

You do need to beat him in order to do the vet level quests (silver and gold)...but i will be doing a boring old grind after vet1 in craglorn until i get to the higher level just for the specific reason of trying out that naught Mr. Bal at Vet12/14 (whatever he maxes out at).

It is a twisted approach i realise this...but having done it 5 times already i thought i'd mix it up a little.