The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Nvidia Driver Crash

Mizeak
Mizeak
Soul Shriven
Hi.

My screen goes black, client stops responding and nvidia's driver crashes after couple of minutes of play. I tried switching SET GraphicsDriver.7 "D3D11" to "D3D9" in the user settings but didn't work. I'm using the newest (347.09?) driver.

Specs: Geforce GTX 660-Ti, Intel i7-4790k, 8gb ram

This is the only game where I've experienced this.
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You just made me realize something. Recently the game started crashing on me... I think my Nvidia drivers updated. I'm going to roll back and see what happens.

At launch there was reports that Nvidia drivers were crashing the game and people had to roll back to an earlier driver until it seemed to get fixed. So it seems entirely possible it could happen again. I'll roll back my driver and report back. Hope you do the same.
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • Mizeak
    Mizeak
    Soul Shriven
    MissBizz wrote: »
    You just made me realize something. Recently the game started crashing on me... I think my Nvidia drivers updated. I'm going to roll back and see what happens.

At launch there was reports that Nvidia drivers were crashing the game and people had to roll back to an earlier driver until it seemed to get fixed. So it seems entirely possible it could happen again. I'll roll back my driver and report back. Hope you do the same.

Actually I updated the drivers in hope to fix the problem, as it was happening with the earlier drivers as well. Probably should have mentioned that. Sorry.
    Please report back, however.
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alright, for troubleshooting efforts..

I5-4690K, 8gb ram, GTX 770 OC

Driver I was using... 331.65
    Updating to 347.09

I'll come back to let you know if my problems continue or not. If problem continues I'll roll back and post results.

Although I'm sure you already know, always ensure you are doing a clean install when updating drivers. AKA get rid of the old drivers before installing the new ones.
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • Bouvin
    Bouvin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mizeak wrote: »
    Hi.

My screen goes black, client stops responding and nvidia's driver crashes after couple of minutes of play. I tried switching SET GraphicsDriver.7 "D3D11" to "D3D9" in the user settings but didn't work. I'm using the newest (347.09?) driver.

Specs: Geforce GTX 660-Ti, Intel i7-4790k, 8gb ram

This is the only game where I've experienced this.

I've been experiencing this as well. 2x 5670 in crossfire.

Didn't start happening till update 1.5.
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fail on that newest driver. I'll try tomorrow with an old driver.
  • Verrask
    Verrask
    ✭✭
    I've been experiencing the same problem for the past four days under Windows 8.1. ESO will crash literally multiple times a day at irregular intervals using some sort of error in a virtual function call.

I've gone back to 340 era drivers with no luck, so I do not think nVidia is at fault. I'm not sure ESO is at fault either since there has been no patch in the past few days.

I'm playing around with steam.exe since Valve seems to have some serious issues with their latest update (reference those who complain that steam.exe takes up 30-40% of their CPU on startup - complaining of slow loads, low frame rates in ESO. Terminated the steam.exe task is an immediate fix there).

I'm also looking at recent windows updates.
  • C3N50R3D
    C3N50R3D
    ✭✭✭
    Verrask wrote: »
    I've been experiencing the same problem for the past four days under Windows 8.1. ESO will crash literally multiple times a day at irregular intervals using some sort of error in a virtual function call.

I've gone back to 340 era drivers with no luck, so I do not think nVidia is at fault. I'm not sure ESO is at fault either since there has been no patch in the past few days.

I'm playing around with steam.exe since Valve seems to have some serious issues with their latest update (reference those who complain that steam.exe takes up 30-40% of their CPU on startup - complaining of slow loads, low frame rates in ESO. Terminated the steam.exe task is an immediate fix there).

The C++ pure virtual error is a game issue.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/142498/client-crash-runtime-error-r6025-pure-virtual-function-call-c-library-dialog#latest
  • Bouvin
    Bouvin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've tried 5 different drivers. The issue seems to be more update 1.5 related than driver related.
  • Darlgon
    Darlgon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now that I think about it, I crashed out of game 3 times the first hour after the new drivers on Dec 23-4.. Rebooted, Uninstalled and installed 3.44.65 and... crash less, but still crashing a few times a night. I kinda forgot about that til now.
    Edited by Darlgon on December 31, 2014 11:57PM
    Power level to CP160 in a week:
    Where is the end game? You just played it.
    Why don't I have 300+ skill points? Because you skipped content along the way.
    Where is new content? Sigh.
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I believe my issue is the C++ one hence no replies here. Sorry. There is an update that apparently insuring you have the system adobe installed (not just what comes with chrome) and updating .net should help.
  • Valen_Byte
    Valen_Byte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Im using driver 344.65 no problems
    ***Dixon Kay MagDK FORMER EMPEROR***Deca Dix MagDK FORMER EMPORER***Valonious MagPlar FORMER EMPEROR***
    GM of BYTE
    MAY YOUR DEATHS BE SWIFT, AND YOUR LOAD SCREENS LONG.
    And alien tears will fill for him, Pity’s long-broken urn, For his mourners will be outcast men, And outcasts always mourn
  • Dukath
    Dukath
    ✭✭
    I also had this problem.

I just bought my copy of the game, and couldn't even make it through character-creation without the game crashing the Nvidia driver - leaving me with a blank, black screen.

I am running with a fresh install of ESO, a fresh re-install of the DirectX redist as well as the latest version of the Nvidia drivers (GeForce 347.25)

I tried tweaking the "C:\Users\UserName\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live\UserSettings.txt" file.

First I tried changing:
    to: SET GraphicsDriver.7 "OPENGL"

But I noticed that this messed with the UI. All the frames pull-downs, and check-boxes were no longer displayed.

I've since tried this:
    to: SET GraphicsDriver.7 "D3D9"

And so far so good... I've been able to make my character, and am working through the intro area now. Hopefully the driver-crash will not re-appear.
  • flintstone
    flintstone
    ✭✭✭
    No crashing at all here? (347.25 driver). I just built the computer about a month ago so my game install is fairly new (also running windows 10 beta).

• Dukath
    Dukath
    ✭✭
    Well, I played ESO for an hour yesterday afternoon, and another two hours yesterday evening, with no crashes what-so-ever.

So for me, at least, the "D3D9" setting seems to have done the trick.

Oh, btw, just in case - I'm running on Windows 7 64bit...
    Edited by Dukath on February 3, 2015 6:57PM
  • RinaldoGandolphi
    RinaldoGandolphi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    C3N50R3D wrote: »
    Verrask wrote: »

The C++ pure virtual error is a game issue.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/142498/client-crash-runtime-error-r6025-pure-virtual-function-call-c-library-dialog#latest

Im not so sure...I have never seen that Error on either Windows Vista(which runs the game flawlessly, better then 7 or 8), or Windows 8.1. I can sword and board, use and do whatever and never get that crash. If it truly was a C coding error within the game, it would be easily reproduceable as such errors as Pure Virtual Function Call would be easy to reproduce.

Why can i not reproduce or get this error? I have done everything people on that post said they are doing when they get that error, and i can't reproduce it, even on 2 different versions of Windows.

The most likely cause of this error is conflicting versions of Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime packages. I do beleive ESO ships with the 2010 version if im not mistaken....having 2008, 2012, etc installed can cause versioning issues between these different versions. The only way to be sure to fix these issues is to completely format your hard drive, re-install Windows, and only have 1 version of Visual C++ installed(the one that comes with ESO)

perhaps the reason i don't see these errors is because the only version of C++ runtimes i have installed are the ones that come with ESO, and I don't install the optional .Net updates from Windows Update that mucks with these packages.

just some food for thought.

Rinaldo Gandolphi-Breton Sorcerer Daggerfall Covenant
    Juste Gandolphi Dark Elf Templar Daggerfall Covenant
    Richter Gandolphi - Dark Elf Dragonknight Daggerfall Covenant
    Mathias Gandolphi - Breton Nightblade Daggerfall Covenant
    RinaldoGandolphi - High Elf Sorcerer Aldmeri Dominion
    Officer Fire and Ice
    Co-GM - MVP

Sorcerer's - The ONLY class in the game that is punished for using its class defining skill (Bolt Escape)

"Here in his shrine, that they have forgotten. Here do we toil, that we might remember. By night we reclaim, what by day was stolen. Far from ourselves, he grows ever near to us. Our eyes once were blinded, now through him do we see. Our hands once were idle, now through them does he speak. And when the world shall listen, and when the world shall see, and when the world remembers, that world will cease to be. - Miraak

• C3N50R3D
    C3N50R3D
    ✭✭✭

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/125749

It is a game bug that may be handled differently depending on which .net versions you have. Your OS already contains several versions of .net even if you did not separately install them. Some versions of .net have issues in certain configurations. I believe the engine now relies on .net v4.5
    .net v4.5.2 may have issues but I will have to test further to confirm.

Those still getting the repeatable error try uninstalling only .net v4.5.2 with this cleanup tool and report back. You may also want to use the setup verification tool to ensure correct setup of v4.5.1 and v4.5

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2013/11/11/10466402.aspx