Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Spell Crafting

• Ommamar
    Ommamar
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think separate systems of discovery for things other then spells such as fighting techniques and weapons such as the spear would be a cool thing to have. Lets hope if they get spell crafting right such a system is implemented. As to the new effects I think they will be in the vein where the user can mimic something they naturally wouldn't be able to do. Such as muffle giving a large boost to stealth, or an agility or strength buff that raises your critical chance or base attack damage.

What should be interesting is how will it effect the trinity, by that I mean the idea of tank, healer, DPS. This is already a huge debate with the existing system, put in another variable where you can customize further will we finally be able to get past that perception.
  • Leeric
    Leeric
    ✭✭✭✭
    Leeric wrote: »
    It will make sorcerers even more awesome, or completely destroy the class lol.
    Everyone will be able to do it, so I don't see how it will affect the Sorcerer class except by destroying all the classes with regards to magic spells.
    @AlexDougherty‌ specifically on the ps3.

I imagine ESOs spellcrafting will work off of the already familiar spells/abilities we use now but allow a, albeit limited, form of customization. Limited for the sake of balance.

I haven't watched the Quake Con yet because I'm travelling and posting with my phone. I will update my input after watching.

Ah, well yeah, you couldn't delete spells on the consoles, which as I said was Ironic since the PC used Console Commands to get rid of them.

And yes I imagine the spell crafting will be limited, otherwise the lag from the server looking up what each crafted spell would be dire. Balance might be less of an issue since we could all craft the same spells, but the server having to remember fifty different variations of (say) Summon Fire Attronach (one I know is promised) would be unmanageable.
    I think that, if the spell was formatted in a modular way, it shouldn't be any different than proccing stacked effects. Merlin13KAGL probably stated the same thing in a more detailed way :D.

Because, if the spells are better than sorcerers spells what would be the point of being a sorcerer if everyone can now cast spells and be a ranged magic dps? If done right though, because sorcerers have more magicka related passives then it would be an advantage for sorcerers...lol geez.

Sorcerers as of right now, aren't the best at anything.They aren't the best tanks, not the best dps, not the best healers. And spell crafting depending how the skills are implemented could either widen that gap or place sorcerers on top of one of the three mentioned.
    Edited by Leeric on December 3, 2014 6:15PM
  • Woolenthreads
    Woolenthreads
    ✭✭✭✭
    Because, if the spells are better than sorcerers spells what would be the point of being a sorcerer if everyone can now cast spells and be a ranged magic dps? If done right though, because sorcerers have more magicka related passives then it would be an advantage for sorcerers...lol geez.

Sorcerers as of right now, aren't the best at anything.They aren't the best tanks, not the best dps, not the best healers. And spell crafting depending how the skills are implemented could either widen that gap or place sorcerers on top of one of the three mentioned.
    Everyone will be able to do it, so I don't see how it will affect the Sorcerer class except by destroying all the classes with regards to magic spells.
    Unless they change the class skill-lines of the other classes to be stamina based anything that might "destroy" the "validity" of a Sorcerer will also destroy the validity of the other classes. They are all based off Magicka. At the moment I'll create a distinct Melee character off the DK template because of "chains", which, if you can do it with a displacement spell, makes using different characters more viable.

You can't convince me that Spell-crafting will destroy the Sorcerer any more than it would the DK, NB or Templar. It will just make the game more varied and unpredictable.
    Oooh look, lot's of Butterflies! Wait! Butterflies? Get out of here Sheo, stop bugging me!

Having issues with Provisioning Writs? A list of problem Writs and people willing to help in game can be found in this Thread
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It will make sorcerers even more awesome, or completely destroy the class lol.
    @AlexDougherty‌ specifically on the ps3.

I imagine ESOs spellcrafting will work off of the already familiar spells/abilities we use now but allow a, albeit limited, form of customization. Limited for the sake of balance.

I haven't watched the Quake Con yet because I'm travelling and posting with my phone. I will update my input after watching.

Ah, well yeah, you couldn't delete spells on the consoles, which as I said was Ironic since the PC used Console Commands to get rid of them.

And yes I imagine the spell crafting will be limited, otherwise the lag from the server looking up what each crafted spell would be dire. Balance might be less of an issue since we could all craft the same spells, but the server having to remember fifty different variations of (say) Summon Fire Attronach (one I know is promised) would be unmanageable.
    I think that, if the spell was formatted in a modular way, it shouldn't be any different than proccing stacked effects. Merlin13KAGL probably stated the same thing in a more detailed way :D.

I actually really like my Sorc. I have v14's, and I'll admit he's my lowest at v13. That being said I'm very familiar with Sorc abilities (I've mastered them all), and a master of the destruction staff. I'm at the point with that character's life cycle that I really want to get into using Sword and Shield or Greatsword... but I like Tanking. Honestly, I think Sorc has a lot of very interesting things going for it as a tank, so please don't sell it short. Additionally, I think you make the mistake of assuming that the other classes aren't mages. Sorc feels a lot like Conjuration/Alteration/Destruction. Templar feels a lot like Restoration/Destruction. Nightblade feels a lot like Illusion/Destruction/Maybe some Restoration. DK feels a lot like Alteration/Destruction/with a hint of Restoration from GDB. The point I'm making is that you could very easily make all of these classes be mages, they just specialize in different areas. Personally I love my Sorc, and nothing plays like it. Nothing is as mobile as a sorc, and nothing has the ranged attacks of a sorc.

The one thing I might agree is that ZOS is going to have to figure out how to balance the classes with each other once spellcrafting is out. Nevertheless I'm looking forward to finally having a proper Frost mage, which just wasn't possible before.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>