The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Spell Crafting

Ommamar
Ommamar
✭✭✭✭
This was mentioned in another thread. I would like to know what you have heard and whats your thoughts are on it. Any video expanding on it would be great here is one I saw on it from Quake Con:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LkeMacg-b0

• ers101284b14_ESO
    ers101284b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's going to suck until they fix the fix that fixes the fixes that fixed it. Then its going to be AWESOME!!!!!!!!
  • Aoife32001
    Aoife32001
    ✭✭✭✭
    As long as it closely follows what we have seen in previous Elder Scrolls game (with suitable adjustments made for an mmo format), I think it's going to be great! I am very much looking forward to it! Unfortunately, I have heard nothing about it since its mention in that presentation, other than it is on the back burner after the Champion/Justice systems.
  • NotSo
    NotSo
    ✭✭✭✭
    I remember in Oblivion when I couldn't delete my created spells and a made a new character just to be rid of the clutter and bad spelling of my baby self.
    Gar'Sol the Wanderer VR14 Khajiit Sorcerer Spellblade
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I remember in Oblivion when I couldn't delete my created spells and a made a new character just to be rid of the clutter and bad spelling of my baby self.

Um, You could use console commands got rid off unwanted spells, unless you played Oblivion on a Console (which ironically doesn't have console commands :confused: )
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • jeanette
    jeanette
    ✭✭✭
    I really like the flexibility! I think it will feel more like I'm actually creating a spell, instead of just finding one that is basically finished already. More freedom and personal. I'm very much looking forward to the diversity, and hope my expectations aren't too high...
  • NotSo
    NotSo
    ✭✭✭✭
    @AlexDougherty‌ specifically on the ps3.

I imagine ESOs spellcrafting will work off of the already familiar spells/abilities we use now but allow a, albeit limited, form of customization. Limited for the sake of balance.

I haven't watched the Quake Con yet because I'm travelling and posting with my phone. I will update my input after watching.
  • Ommamar
    Ommamar
    ✭✭✭✭

I imagine ESOs spellcrafting will work off of the already familiar spells/abilities we use now but allow a, albeit limited, form of customization. Limited for the sake of balance.

I haven't watched the Quake Con yet because I'm travelling and posting with my phone. I will update my input after watching.

It sounded like there will be the ability to craft spells that have been used in past ES games. Such as muffle, damage cloaks (fire,shock, frost), conjure Flame Atronach and familiar, restore stamina, restore health, and the standard destruction spells, based on existing abilities I would expect invisibility as well. It would be cool if there was a levitate ability as well but not sure how that would mess with pvp All of varying degrees and cost, although it is hazy to me exactly what the cost will be. I am guessing mana but wasn't specified. There was also mention of an ability like dark exchange except magic for stamina.
  • Leeric
    Leeric
    ✭✭✭✭
    It will make sorcerers even more awesome, or completely destroy the class lol.

• Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It sounded nice. It was going to work similar to Enchanting. You could mix and match different Spellcrafting materials to make a "Fire Attack, Single Target, Ultimate". Change one mat and it would be a "Poison Attack, Single Target, Ultimate". Change a different mat and it would be, "Fire Attack, Single Target, Skill". Change two different mats and it would be, "Fire Attack, AoE, Skill".

That is just a simple example. There would be options for immediate damage versus damage over time. Instant cast for moderate damage or a casting time to get higher damage. Add CC at the cost of reduced damage, etc.

At least that was the impression I got.

So you could build spells to go all out on, say, single target damage. Or you could build spells to make a balanced character with a mix of single-target, AoE, CC, DoT, etc.
  • NotSo
    NotSo
    ✭✭✭✭
    If i could have a full bar of magic aoe skills then it'll take me back to my ragnarok online days.
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Ah, well yeah, you couldn't delete spells on the consoles, which as I said was Ironic since the PC used Console Commands to get rid of them.

And yes I imagine the spell crafting will be limited, otherwise the lag from the server looking up what each crafted spell would be dire. Balance might be less of an issue since we could all craft the same spells, but the server having to remember fifty different variations of (say) Summon Fire Attronach (one I know is promised) would be unmanageable.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • reagen_lionel
    reagen_lionel
    ✭✭✭✭
    I look forward to it. Theres alot of missing schools of spells such as mysticism (which existed in this time), Illusion, and alteration spells. And some destruction spells thats missing like Lightning Rune, and elemental cloaks.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jeanette wrote: »
    I really like the flexibility! I think it will feel more like I'm actually creating a spell, instead of just finding one that is basically finished already. More freedom and personal. I'm very much looking forward to the diversity, and hope my expectations aren't too high...
    See some benefit if properly balanced, like having DOT or debuffs, also specialized spells, for various bosses or enemy types.
    Would help sorcerers a lot as they have excellent magic regen but lack of high damage spells. Simply being able to tweak existing spells would help a lot.

Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Gyudan
    Gyudan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    zaria wrote: »
    See some benefit if properly balanced, like having DOT or debuffs, also specialized spells, for various bosses or enemy types.

I think Spellcrafting will either make or break ESO. It looks very good so far. :)
    Wololo.
  • adriant1978
    adriant1978
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's my most wanted feature and I wish it was coming sooner.

I have many alts and love trying out new builds, but there are limits on what you can do with the same old class skills. Can't wait to be able to add an extra layer of customization. New summons like the Flame Atronach will be especially welcome.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gyudan wrote: »
    zaria wrote: »

I think Spellcrafting will either make or break ESO. It looks very good so far. :)
    The champion system is far harder to implement and will have far more impact than spellcrafting. Spellcrafting will get multiple changes after its introduced.

Kind of hope they start slow with it and rater expand.

Edited by zaria on December 1, 2014 1:41PM
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • diabeticDemon18
    diabeticDemon18
    ✭✭✭

Ah, well yeah, you couldn't delete spells on the consoles, which as I said was Ironic since the PC used Console Commands to get rid of them.

And yes I imagine the spell crafting will be limited, otherwise the lag from the server looking up what each crafted spell would be dire. Balance might be less of an issue since we could all craft the same spells, but the server having to remember fifty different variations of (say) Summon Fire Attronach (one I know is promised) would be unmanageable.

Unless they processed the spell client side and send back a simple integer variable for each type of spell. That wouldn't be too bad
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Unless they processed the spell client side and send back a simple integer variable for each type of spell. That wouldn't be too bad

But wouldn't that make it more vulnerable to hacks?
    I'm not against that if they have some sort of safeguards in place, just a bit weary of anything that puts too much on the client side (because someone will try a hack).
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • diabeticDemon18
    diabeticDemon18
    ✭✭✭

I'm not against that if they have some sort of safeguards in place, just a bit weary of anything that puts too much on the client side (because someone will try a hack).

Ahhhh, you're right. That could open up some sort of hacks. I hate hackers, they ruin all the fun. If people didn't try to break things on purpose, then they could make games much more powerful because you could process things on both client and server side. But, if they could somehow safeguard it, then I think that would be the most efficient way of it processing what spell you're using
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Ahhhh, you're right. That could open up some sort of hacks. I hate hackers, they ruin all the fun. If people didn't try to break things on purpose, then they could make games much more powerful because you could process things on both client and server side. But, if they could somehow safeguard it, then I think that would be the most efficient way of it processing what spell you're using

Yes, I agree, if they could safeguard it, then it would be the best way to do it. Not sure how they could safeguard it, bt then I'm not a programmer. And yeah, it is a shame that some people try to break everything.
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It don't have to, not sure how things work today, if I cast spell A who cost 100 magic and do 100 damage, how is this accounted for.
    Remember that damage is depended on spell power while enchants reduce magic costs so you has to do plenty of calculations to get the right value.

The custom spell Ax2F who does 200 frost damage for 200 magic just adds some more variables.

It would be just as easy to spoof something like crunching shock who has multiple damage components.

Either the spell effects will be fixed like for enchanting or they will have an formula for casting cost for damage.
    Edited by zaria on December 1, 2014 4:34PM
  • kewl
    kewl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's going to suck until they fix the fix that fixes the fixes that fixed it. Then its going to be AWESOME!!!!!!!!

Xzibit...is that you?
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you disregard the visuals, it's all basic data from an encoding point of view:

1. Every spell/skill has a cost, whether Magicka, Health, or Stamina. (two numbers in the easiest form or cost and type)
    2. It then has one of three affected shapes: AoE (round), AoE Rectangle, AoE Cone.
    3. It has a size (length/width) whose numbers would have different meanings based on the above.
    4. It has a range (# for distance)
    5. It has a target (Self, single, AoE again)
    6. It has an effect (all basic spells/skills can be narrowed down to small list of applicable effects. Place these in pairs for the quantity and duration, add a third for initial effect, if applicable.)
    7. It has a cooldown (or not)
    8. It has a 'cast' time.
    9. It has a special effect (Affects Attribute for x Seconds, etc)
    10. Finally (for the simple version), it has an ID...same as every item in your inventory.

That's a handful of bytes if it's not optimized.

Look at it this way, the Client takes care of what to send based on what the definition allows.

The server checks the ID (Item in in the database that your character image either posesses or does not.) and compares the data sent to see if it fits with what's allowed.

It's really just an expanded version of what happens now, Client is set to do the work, Server just validates (or doesn't).

Hack the outgoing stream, and the server rejects it - no different than a bad packet, etc. For example, send frost damage out on a fire spell, and the server's gonna call BS, and it's ultimately the server side that matters (look at rubber banding, as a fine example of that).

If it's encoded well, there are so many combinations available. Same data is sent to anyone in visual/effected range. In fact, outgoing data is less, because the enemy doesn't care about the cooldown, just the result.

Think of it another way, if I give you three boxes, each with the ability to hold the number 1-10, there are 10 combinations for each box.

Put them together, and that combination of 10 becomes 1000 different possibilities.

Couple that with the fact that they will limit the number of effects on a given spell/skill to lower the processing and validation required, and it shouldn't have to be as programmatically intensive as it would seem.

Now whether or not they go about it this way...we'll have to see.
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • Ommamar
    Ommamar
    ✭✭✭✭

I think there will be a limit to the customization. You have search for each spell then it looked like there will be 5 options. So you could make your Flame Atronach have a damage cloak, or have greater range, a higher damage on the attack, make it an Ulitmate and I forget the last one or maybe he didn't say it. I expect that the recognition will be similar to potions. After a certain point you can make a wider variance using three ingredients instead of two but everyone who makes a pancea gets a unique identifier for that particular potion type.
  • Woolenthreads
    Woolenthreads
    ✭✭✭✭
    Leeric wrote: »
    It will make sorcerers even more awesome, or completely destroy the class lol.
    Everyone will be able to do it, so I don't see how it will affect the Sorcerer class except by destroying all the classes with regards to magic spells.

I think that, if the spell was formatted in a modular way, it shouldn't be any different than proccing stacked effects. Merlin13KAGL probably stated the same thing in a more detailed way :D.
    Edited by Woolenthreads on December 1, 2014 10:23PM
    Oooh look, lot's of Butterflies! Wait! Butterflies? Get out of here Sheo, stop bugging me!

Having issues with Provisioning Writs? A list of problem Writs and people willing to help in game can be found in this Thread
  • deepseamk20b14_ESO
    deepseamk20b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I shall make a skill that allows me to fly at 100mph shooting lightning balls at the ground below that turn into tigers made out of fire who shoot muffin guns at my enemies.
    Hey everyone! Look! It's a signature!
  • diabeticDemon18
    diabeticDemon18
    ✭✭✭
    If you disregard the visuals, it's all basic data from an encoding point of view:

1. Every spell/skill has a cost, whether Magicka, Health, or Stamina. (two numbers in the easiest form or cost and type)
    2. It then has one of three affected shapes: AoE (round), AoE Rectangle, AoE Cone.
    3. It has a size (length/width) whose numbers would have different meanings based on the above.
    4. It has a range (# for distance)
    5. It has a target (Self, single, AoE again)
    6. It has an effect (all basic spells/skills can be narrowed down to small list of applicable effects. Place these in pairs for the quantity and duration, add a third for initial effect, if applicable.)
    7. It has a cooldown (or not)
    8. It has a 'cast' time.
    9. It has a special effect (Affects Attribute for x Seconds, etc)
    10. Finally (for the simple version), it has an ID...same as every item in your inventory.

That's a handful of bytes if it's not optimized.

Look at it this way, the Client takes care of what to send based on what the definition allows.

The server checks the ID (Item in in the database that your character image either posesses or does not.) and compares the data sent to see if it fits with what's allowed.

It's really just an expanded version of what happens now, Client is set to do the work, Server just validates (or doesn't).

Hack the outgoing stream, and the server rejects it - no different than a bad packet, etc. For example, send frost damage out on a fire spell, and the server's gonna call BS, and it's ultimately the server side that matters (look at rubber banding, as a fine example of that).

If it's encoded well, there are so many combinations available. Same data is sent to anyone in visual/effected range. In fact, outgoing data is less, because the enemy doesn't care about the cooldown, just the result.

Think of it another way, if I give you three boxes, each with the ability to hold the number 1-10, there are 10 combinations for each box.

Put them together, and that combination of 10 becomes 1000 different possibilities.

Couple that with the fact that they will limit the number of effects on a given spell/skill to lower the processing and validation required, and it shouldn't have to be as programmatically intensive as it would seem.

Now whether or not they go about it this way...we'll have to see.

Yeah... what you said...
  • NotSo
    NotSo
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gotta get me dem +100 athletics for 1 second restoration spell, cost 34.
  • jeanette
    jeanette
    ✭✭✭
    I want there be something similar to spellcrafting to people who don't see their characters as mages. Perhaps you get a task from the fighters guild to track down old fighting techniques that you can alter in the same way as the spellcrafting, only that it uses stamina and doesn't look like a spell.
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    jeanette wrote: »
    I want there be something similar to spellcrafting to people who don't see their characters as mages. Perhaps you get a task from the fighters guild to track down old fighting techniques that you can alter in the same way as the spellcrafting, only that it uses stamina and doesn't look like a spell.

@jeanette , I suspect they will have stamina based 'spells' you can create as well. If it's half as much like the stand alone's, you will be able to affect just about any aspect/attribute in some fashion.

I don't think they'll really be introducing new effects (new summons, perhaps), but I think they'll allow you to combine existing effects in various combinations, just as standalone spellcrafting did.

You don't have to be a mage to use magic anymore than you have to be a warrior to use a sword.
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS