The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

The upcoming Naga race

• Wolfshead
    Wolfshead
    ✭✭✭✭
    But is Naga race just go to be a NPC race for new zone for that is what i understand when a i see the QuakeCon in july the the race was just go be a NPC race nothing else.
    If you find yourself alone, riding in green fields with the sun on your face, do not be troubled; for you are in Elysium, and you're already dead
    What we do in life, echoes in eternity
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They're not Naga in the Mythological sense.... so not the human/snake hybrid. I don't think.
    Edited by Gidorick on November 30, 2014 7:00AM
    What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
  • reagen_lionel
    reagen_lionel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Its just an npc race.
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea, just an NPC race. My main concern in the post was more about how the race fits into the lore. Naga have NEVER been described as "slight-framed cat-fish men"... but as "gargantuan Snake-men" with rows of pointed teeth.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Janduin
    Janduin
    ✭✭
    Edited by Janduin on November 30, 2014 8:29AM
    Janzgrimr - V4 DK -Ebonheart Pact
    Janzig - V4 NB -Ebonheart Pact
    Abdul al-Hazred - LvL 40 Sorceror - Ebonheart Pact
    Jandero - LvL 46 Sorceror - Aldmeri Dominion
    Jagurtha -LvL38 DK - Daggerfall Covenent
  • Darthryan
    Darthryan
    ✭✭✭
    Rodario wrote: »
    Dem Nagas need Stendarr

Naga stole my bike

In wow I had a guild named "Naga stole my bike".
  • Rodario
    Rodario
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darthryan wrote: »
    Dem Nagas need Stendarr

Naga stole my bike

In wow I had a guild named "Naga stole my bike".

There were a lot of those. The one on my server got disbanded by Blizz.
    Victoria Lux - Templar Tank
    {EU/DC}
  • AngryNord
    AngryNord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I see many naga jokes in our future.

Wonder if there'll be a singing quest boss named Lady Naga? :P
  • AngryNord
    AngryNord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    zaria wrote: »
    This was because of the digtigrade legs and they did not plan on using armor who adjusted to race as Khajiit and Argonians was not planned to be playable.
    Luckily they changed that but not the boot issue.

Do you have a source for Khajiit and Argonians not planned to be playable in Morrowind??
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are already some Naga ingame. Thier called Lamia's in Shadowfen. One of my character was actually interested in them and have been looking for information concerning them, he asked around and no one really knew much, he searched and actually found a tome containing a small bit of detail about them.
    Yes, you run into Lamia some other places but then just as standard monsters to kill.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Selique
    Selique
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are already some Naga ingame. Thier called Lamia's in Shadowfen. One of my character was actually interested in them and have been looking for information concerning them, he asked around and no one really knew much, he searched and actually found a tome containing a small bit of detail about them.

Those aren't Naga, those are Lamia. Separate race.
    Falls-With-Grace ~ Shadowscale (Argonian Night Blade)
    Selique Lasra ~ Captain, Smuggler, Swashbuckler (Redguard Templar)
    Chases-Comets ~ Shellback Warrior (Argonian Dragon Knight)
    Slissix-Kir ~ Swamp Shaman (Argonian Sorcerer)
    Hail Sithis..
  • Ganacampo
    Ganacampo
    ✭✭✭
    The Lamia look more like the Tsaeci from Akavir.

I don't think Naga should look anything like that.
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gidorick wrote: »
    That would make more sense considering the real-world myths of Naga, which are Medusa-like creatures.

fb3c52890ff647ed4f0e0bdcf2683a56.jpg

More about the Naga:
    http://unearthlytales.com/the-naga-and-medusa.html

I think maybe they aren't depicted as such because the Tsaesci race from Akavir that are described as possibly having the upper-body of a man and a lower-body of a snake.

source: imperial-library.info/content/guide-akavir#tsaesci

I would kill to be able to play a character that looked like this. It totally needs to be a costume! :)
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• Mettaricana
    Mettaricana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Niastissa wrote: »
    That would make more sense considering the real-world myths of Naga, which are Medusa-like creatures.

More about the Naga:

I think maybe they aren't depicted as such because the Tsaesci race from Akavir that are described as possibly having the upper-body of a man and a lower-body of a snake.

Yes something like that would in my opinion be better.

remember ESO isnt based on real world it is its own world and lore. if elder scrolls wanted they could make a 20 foot tall scaled 8 armed lizard be called a hamster if they wanted. look at dwarves they are no taller than any other mer or man despite the name
  • a.grespinrb19_ESO
    a.grespinrb19_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Just as a joke someone should put a prize item from killing them called a "razer Naga"
    Been here since the beta
  • katkat42
    katkat42
    ✭✭✭
    If you kill a Naga, would they drop Naga Hide?
    Stonehenge ROCKS!
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    katkat42 wrote: »
    If you kill a Naga, would they drop Naga Hide?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obKLdou0LH0
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• murmur
    murmur
    ✭✭✭
    AngryNord wrote: »
    I see many naga jokes in our future.

Wonder if there'll be a singing quest boss named Lady Naga? :P

I tried to make toon named Lady Naga. Didn't let me, said that "Name is invalid" :(
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After some additional Argonian research (done for an Argonian Overhaul post I will be putting up in the next week or so) I discovered the following:

"Agacephs were a breed of Argonian who had extremely thin faces that were described by some as "needle-like" and possessed eyes that resembled vertical slits. They did not possess one uniform scale color like the Naga, a breed of Argonians who all possessed black scales, but scale color differed greatly between individuals. Some had bright green scales others possessed purple, blue, orange, yellow, and red scales.

They lived in the innermost swamps of Black Marsh and traveled through the marshes on extremely thin rafts that they guided with their tails."

EDIT: Adding link: http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Agaceph

This is the picture ZOS has shown when discussing the NAGA in ESO.
    eso-murkmire-adventure-zone-4.jpg

More an more I am thinking that they misspoke. The deception of the Agacephs (needle like faces and tails that guided rafts) fit the 'cat-fish' Argonian SO much better than the descriptions of the Naga.

The Naga are giant dangerous and aggressive creatures with black scales.... which REALLY fits what they described as an Argonian Behemoth.
    eso-murkmire-adventure-zone-7.jpg

I'm looking forward to finding out!!! :smiley:
    Edited by Gidorick on January 18, 2015 4:50PM
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would assume that it's something like khajiit. There are, what, 13 different subspecies of khajiit, ranging from those that look like domestic housecats to the senche tigers to the khajiit we play and even khajiit that look almost human.

There are also lore accounts stating that khajiit and argonians (and sload/dreugh) were natives to tamriel long before any men or mer came from across the oceans. It's possible that, in those other lands, men and mer evolved into their current states, while on tamriel the khajiit and argonians have formed so many different subspecies.
    PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • The_Man_From_Stygia

More about the Naga:

hmm... They'd need some kinda long sock instead of pants to wear though...
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." - Terry Pratchett
  • Heishi
    Heishi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back at the 2014 QuakeCon in July ZOS mentioned there will be a new adventure zone Murkmire, and with that a new non-playable race, the Naga.

This is the picture they showed when Jared Carr, Art Director, was talking about the Naga:
    eso-murkmire-adventure-zone-4.jpg

According to the lorebook An Argonian Account by Waughin Jarth an Imperial by the name of Chaero Gemullus describes the Naga as "Nasty characters, puff adders with legs and arms, seven feet tall, eight when they're mad."

Yeah, a puff adder is a snake. What they have there in the picture you've shown looks like some Sload(amphibian) Reptile hybrid.. it's distributing actually. Like, I see it, but my brain doesn't want to process it XD Either way.. Puff Adder v

puff-adder.jpg

Going by the description, I'd actually expect it to look like the lamia with legs. The Lamia look more like puff adders than whatever the hell they have there.

Lamia.jpg
    Edited by Heishi on January 18, 2015 5:38PM
    And so did many brave men, women, and beast fall to the end of Beta, never to be heard from again. All that is left, is whispers of the adventures they had.
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The fact that "published authorities" might be wrong on these subjects in the Elder Scrolls universe is perfect. If you look at actual reports written during the 1400s to 1800s, as Europeans were exploring and later colonizing/conquering various places, descriptions of various foreign fauna and flora as well as the physiques and customs of various human groups encountered were sometimes wildly inaccurate to the point of being absurd.

There were many reasons for this, including:

- relying on second-hand reports from sailors, soldiers, traveling priests and merchants, etc
    - mixing up multiple local legends (again often heard second-hand)
    - making stuff up to sound knowledgeable and to make the published account more interesting when reading papers at society meetings

This then lead to popular misconceptions. For example, reports of O-ran-otangs (orangutans) included legends that some could speak and that they lived in cities in the trees, abducting human females as brides or mates. In the early 1800s a British author attempted a bit of social commentary and moral philosophy by publishing a story about an ape who runs for political office, a Sir Oran Haut-Ton, who, based on the description, actually seems to refer to a gorilla. Gorillas and chimpanzees were also confused with each other at times because the same names were frequently used to refer to all apes. And the name for the common chimp, Pan troglodytes, suggests that they are in fact cave-dwellers, which isn't true, but that misconception got preserved because once a species name is officially published and accepted it rarely changes.

If we go to misrepresentations of indigenous human populations from the Americas, Africa, and Oceania, you could write several books detailing them. A good bit of it is racist, sensationalist, and all around BS. But if fit with the expectations that these people would be primitive and savage.

Looking at Argonians, when have the Imperials, Dunmer, or any other group of men or mer who have had regular dealing with the Saxhleel seen the lizard-people and their home as anything other than primitive and backward? Sure, some individuals or small groups may appreciate their actual gifts and talents or unique culture, but on the whole they are seen as a lesser "beast race". I am very much hoping this theme is explored and that there will be special options for Argonians PCs in Murkmire.

As for the appearance of the Naga, if you want the classic/generic fantasy "Naga" you would have to look to the Lamia for the closest match.
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This topic of conversation makes me wonder, is it possible that the Sload might in fact be the same Genus of creatures as the Argonians? Argonians while reptilian, have things in common with Birds, Mammals, Fish and Amphibians. In other words they are a strange creature. They have scales, some have feathers, they have mammaries (which could have just an artist's way of humanizing them), they breathe water or air. The Sload as I understand it are like gigantic jabba the hutt Frog/Toad/Tadpole men. What's to say their origin isn't the Hist either, and perhaps their whole business with death is in relation to Sithis or some other Argonian cult?
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Honestly Im curious as to how theyre going to portray BlackMarsh as a whole. Maybe Im wrong. I probably am but wasnt it not until Tiber Septim 200 years from present ESO time that Men and Mer actually made any headway into those swamps?

As for the information in the books describing Naga and such. Its not out of the realm of possibilities that the writers sensationalized what they saw...Not that they really needed to. They are quite the freaks of nature sorts. But still. Its a mainstay in Elder Scrolls for information of all kinds to be misrepresented or falsely recorded. Its always up to the Player to figure out what is true and not.
    Edited by Korah_Eaglecry on January 18, 2015 10:48PM
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax