The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Shouldn't Jumping Cost a little bit of Stamina?

EsORising
EsORising
✭✭✭

So running cost stamina, skills cost stamina and sneaking cost stamina but why doesn't jumping cost stamina. I don't know if you jumped lately in real life, but it's not easy to do; with heavy armor and a great sword it's close to impossible (Yes I tested this). :\

So you get to the mass pvp and everything looks realistic and your getting psyched up and immersed into the battle but then it starts and everyone is feeling froggy for no reason. I'm talking about "JUMPING" folks! Your ruining my role playing with that nervous jumping around everywhere broski's.

It's like, ESO painstakingly made realistic graphics with a physics engine and everything possible to immerse "the"player in realism ,and we even have a stamina bar for running fast/rolling; however everyone and their mama is jumping in heavy armor swinging a 2handed "heavy" swords way above their targets head and hitting them anyways. Not only are they not suppose to not jump with such heavy equipment, but players can jump all day with such heavy gear and players do jump everywhere all the time especially during pvp. So your telling me; I can only sprint about 5sec and roll 3x before losing all my stamina but i can jump all day with equipment that i should never be able to jump in and never break a sweat? Even sneaking cost Stamina and your just walking low.

I propose that jumping cost stamina to stop this eye sore. I'm not talking about a lot of stamina (don't break out the pitch forks yet), just enough to make people think twice about jumping for no reason at all. If it cost like 1% of your stamina it wouldn't be a noticeable change considering you will regen that almost immediately, but most people would stop hopping everywhere knowing it does burn stamina.

Edited by EsORising on December 26, 2014 9:11PM
  • asdf0716
    asdf0716
    ✭✭✭
    no.

/thread
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.

We have enough drains on Stamina.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Wicked_Wolf
    Wicked_Wolf
    ✭✭✭✭
    asdf0716 wrote: »
    no.

/thread

This and also, absolutely, for the love of Talos please just NO!
  • khele23eb17_ESO
    khele23eb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It should cost magicka.
    P2P offered you 'hell yeah!' moments. F2P offers you 'thank god its over' moments.
  • phreatophile
    phreatophile
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For realism: yes.
    For gameplay: please, by all that's holy, no. To many ways to burn Stamina already.
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Have you tried running all day long in heavy armor, fighting dozens of enemies, all the while hauling 500 steel bars, 17 axes and a large bag of beef? Let me tell you, it's exhausting. So what should we do about it?

NOTHING.
    Because it's a *** video game and it has to be enjoyable, first and foremost. Too much "realism" and you suck all the fun out of it.
  • Moonshadow66
    Moonshadow66
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EsORising wrote: »
    Your ruining my role playing with that nervous jumping around everywhere broski's.

I do know what you mean, but to say that all these jumping-lovers "ruin your role playing" is ridiculous. You're not the only player in the game, and I assume it's only the minority that actually roleplays it.

Also, we cannot jump everywhere anymore like in Morrowind and Oblivion; with Skyrim, jumping became much more realistic when we could f.e. not control the direction anymore while jumping.
    And in ESO, especially in Cyrodiil, but also in PvE zones, there are tons of invisible walls, so I guess many players are just trying to get up there for a while until they notice that it doesn't work. I hate these walls. :s

But, I do get your point, especially in heavy armor it'd be almost impossible to jump, yes. Even if I'd wear a full set of heavy armor (I don't anymore), I'd be ok with 1% stamina cost. But it's so little that we still could jump all day long without noticing the loss, though.
    Venus Ocean - Breton Sorceress VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Gixia - Breton Sorceress VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero
    Frances Demnevanni - Breton Dragonknight VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Raygee - Breton Nightblade VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero
    Lady Olivieri - Breton Nightblade VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Donna Demnevanni - Breton Templar VR16, DC, Tamriel Hero
    Elaine Benes - Breton Templar VR16, EP | Ray McCluck - Breton Sorcerer VR16, EP
    Moonshadow Demnevanni - Dunmer Dragonknight Lvl 50, EP | Jamie Stacey - Redguard Templar Lvl 50, EP
    Caia Cosades - Imperial Nightblade, EP

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sometime frustrate myself trying to jump up r
    Raygee wrote: »
    Even if I'd wear a full set of heavy armor (I don't anymore),

Please don't tell me I am the only who wears Heavy Armor on one of my toons, the Dragon Knight.

Because a Knight in a Dress is not a Knight, but a Cross Dresser....I crack me up sometimes.

• Moonshadow66
    Moonshadow66
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    I sometime frustrate myself trying to jump up r
    Even if I'd wear a full set of heavy armor (I don't anymore),

Please don't tell me I am the only who wears Heavy Armor on one of my toons, the Dragon Knight.

Because a Knight in a Dress is not a Knight, but a Cross Dresser....I crack me up sometimes.

The Dragon Knight is the only class I've never tried by now (I'm still anxious to do that someday, but I need more character slots or I'd have to delete one of my others).
    My mages wear 5 pieces of light armor, 1 medium and 1 heavy; the latter ones for getting the extra training while still wearing mainly the light armor set, and for the extra armor and passives.
    My Nightblade WAS wearing heavy armor until VR1 and was also using the "wrong" weapons and skills, then I put it to the side. Recently I started to "re-roll" it, this time I'm finally doing it right. 5 pieces of medium, 1 light, 1 heavy (same reason like for the mages setup) The secondary armor pieces are all maxed by now, at least on the mages ;)
    Venus Ocean - Breton Sorceress VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Gixia - Breton Sorceress VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero
    Frances Demnevanni - Breton Dragonknight VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Raygee - Breton Nightblade VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero
    Lady Olivieri - Breton Nightblade VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Donna Demnevanni - Breton Templar VR16, DC, Tamriel Hero
    Moonshadow Demnevanni - Dunmer Dragonknight Lvl 50, EP | Jamie Stacey - Redguard Templar Lvl 50, EP

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Nightblade WAS wearing heavy armor until VR1 and was also using the "wrong" weapons and skills, then I put it to the side. Recently I started to "re-roll" it, this time I'm finally doing it right. 5 pieces of medium, 1 light, 1 heavy (same reason like for the mages setup) The secondary armor pieces are all maxed by now, at least on the mages ;)

I started out my NB in Heavy Armor and 2 Handed. He could not battle his way out of wet paper bag when he got to the 20's, and he barely got that high. That was when I rolled the DK.

However once I put the NB in Medium Armor and 1 Hand Shield, he became a much more viable. Then, when I switched out the Bow for the Destro Staff the trash mobs became real easy to deal with. Then, when I swapped the 1H/S for DW in the VR ranks, he became a killing machine. Now the Boss has to have more than 11,000 points of health for me to think twice about going after it. Even then, I usually do unless they are more than 20,000 points.

• Moonshadow66
    Moonshadow66
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I started out my NB in Heavy Armor and 2 Handed. He could not battle his way out of wet paper bag when he got to the 20's, and he barely got that high. That was when I rolled the DK.

However once I put the NB in Medium Armor and 1 Hand Shield, he became a much more viable. Then, when I switched out the Bow for the Destro Staff the trash mobs became real easy to deal with. Then, when I swapped the 1H/S for DW in the VR ranks, he became a killing machine. Now the Boss has to have more than 11,000 points of health for me to think twice about going after it. Even then, I usually do unless they are more than 20,000 points.

I used to play my NB with sword and board, plus heavy armor. The hell on earth since I only used some of the Siponing skills, not the others (I didn't like the descriptions of them, back then). I still wonder how I ever could defeat Molag Bal with that setup lol..
    But now after a skill respec, I run it in medium armor (like I said above) and switched to DW which is almost maxed already, and a Bow as a secondary weapon. Now I'm a killing machine, too ;) Really, I never had so much fun playing my NB like I have now, I was playing it wrong before the respec and also underestimated their abilities.

• Stranglehands
    Stranglehands
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with the OP, and also heavy armour users, as well as not being able to jump, should sink like a rock in water. Light armour users should get their robe snagged up on the undergrowth and/or get full of insects and stuff in valenwood. Medium armour should have to strip their armour down and clean it up with saddle soap every couple of weeks or it starts to chafe
    Edited by Stranglehands on November 17, 2014 9:32PM
    .kcoR gnillaF si noitadnuoF esohw ETIYREP oT
  • loudent
    loudent
    ✭✭✭

So running cost stamina, skills cost stamina and sneaking cost stamina but why doesn't jumping cost stamina.

That's why.

So much costs stamina (in addition to what you mentioned: interrupting, dodging and breaking root also costs stamina) that it makes stamina builds sub-par. Because you have one pool doing everything.

Adding another drain on stamina is not going to solve any problems

• Stranglehands
    Stranglehands
    ✭✭✭✭
    To be fair, in heavy armour you should probably also have a squire to assist you in taking it off to go to the lavatory
    .kcoR gnillaF si noitadnuoF esohw ETIYREP oT
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shouldn't Jumping Cost a little bit of Stamina?

oh how i wish it was true in elderscrolls online. i can dream it to be true someday as it would make me a very happy man.
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No.

We have enough drains on Stamina.

Quoted for Truth.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • KenCleanAirSystem
    KenCleanAirSystem
    ✭✭✭
    There should be a separate pool for all those other things like running, dodge rolls, break free, etc so stamina builds could be on par with magicka builds. There are already far too many things that cost stamina, so no, as everyone else has already said, jumping should not drain your stamina pool.

If ZOS was to implement a separate pool (maybe call it adrenaline or something like that) then fine, jumping could be lumped in and use a resource. They have said that they won't be adding an additional resource so the point is moot. It may make sense in realism terms but not in game play.
  • Orchish
    Orchish
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I say no because as it is stamina users are already screwed over by the fact blocking and rolling cost stamina while Magicka users don't have this problem.

That said the constant bunny hopping in PvP looks so silly that i would accept a 3rd resource that handles rolling/jumping etc.

Not going to happen though. ;)
  • eventide03b14a_ESO
    eventide03b14a_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

So running cost stamina, skills cost stamina and sneaking cost stamina but why doesn't jumping cost stamina. I don't know if you jumped lately in real life, but it's not easy to do; with heavy armor and a great sword it's close to impossible (Yes I tested this). :\

So you get to the mass pvp and everything looks realistic and your getting psyched up and immersed into the battle but then it starts and everyone is feeling foggy for no reason. I'm talking about "JUMPING" folks! Your ruining my role playing with that nervous jumping around everywhere broski's.

It's like, ESO painstakingly made realistic graphics with a physics engine and everything possible to immerse "the"player in realism ,and we even have a stamina bar for running fast/rolling; however everyone and their mama is jumping in heavy armor swinging a 2handed "heavy" swords way above their targets head and hitting them anyways. Not only are they not suppose to not jump with such heavy equipment, but players can jump all day with such heavy gear and players do jump everywhere all the time especially during pvp. So your telling me; I can only sprint about 5sec and roll 3x before losing all my stamina but i can jump all day with equipment that i should never be able to jump in and never break a sweat? Even sneaking cost Stamina and your just walking low.

I propose that jumping cost stamina to stop this eye sore. I'm not talking about a lot of stamina (don't break out the pitch forks yet), just enough to make people think twice about jumping for no reason at all. If it cost like 1% of your stamina it wouldn't be a noticeable change considering you will regen that almost immediately, but most people would stop hopping everywhere knowing it does burn stamina.
    There is so much wrong with this.... To start with almost every game has physics of some sort. Physics in ESO is actually nothing remarkable and is in fact pretty bland when it comes down to it. Now Havok was an impressive physics engine, but then again it moved hundreds of objects in Oblivion and Skyrim in addition to "ragdoll" corpses. The physics in ESO is really just gravity holding PCs and NPCs to the ground and really only PCs utilize it with jumping. Any other phyics is all combat related to knockbacks. Otherwise it's virtually non existent. So it's a pretty bad example of how "realistic" ESO is. Stamina was used for jumping in previous TES games along with every swing of your melee weapon and frankly I say good riddance. We use stamina for enough things without adding jumping to it.
    Edited by eventide03b14a_ESO on November 17, 2014 10:16PM
    :trollin:
  • reagen_lionel
    reagen_lionel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jumping has never costed Stamina in any other Elder Scrolls game. Why should it here?
  • Xjcon
    Xjcon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why more realism in a fantasy game???? I mean for that matter we should have to warm up the horse we ride on before we can sprint long distances. While your at it if you Don't it falls over dead after you get off from a heart attack.....
    Then we should sink and drowned if we go in water with armor on! Maybe we should be forced to rest our characters for a certain amount of time or they start to lose stamina faster....I could go on and on about things that are not real in this........video game.
    Briza Do'urdenx V16 Dunmer DK
    Jcon V16 Orc DK
    Vierna Do'urdenx V16 Bosmer NB
    Jarlaxle Baenrex V16 Dunmer NB
  • Jacques Berge
    Jacques Berge
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jumping has never costed Stamina in any other Elder Scrolls game. Why should it here?
    play Oblivion or Morrowind. Jumping costs Stam in both. That said NOOOooooooOOOOOOOOooooooooo.... (Pauses for breath).... NO!!! Not now, not ever... I don't wanna!!!

"Shadow hide you"

Jacques Berge - v14 NB - DC
  • hammer_fella
    hammer_fella
    ✭✭✭
    Jumping sucks enough as it is.

I have died countless times trying (unsuccessfully) to jump over some small, insignificant hurdle -- a small rock or ledge or fence or railing or steps on a stairway -- obstacles which even my obscenely short Bosmer should easily be able to scale. Now with this mechanic I could also be privileged enough to run out of stamina for all my failed attempts, thus finding myself essentially inert, incapable of jumping, sprinting, breaking CC... anything except prayer really.
    Aldmeri Dominion (NA)
    Ferawen - VR14 Bosmer Nightblade
    Quvalwe - VR2 Altmer Sorcerer
    Daggerfall Covenant
    Belwurz gro-Yungash - Lvl 35 Orc Dragonknight
    Ebonheart Pact
    Dutseiwitsei - Lvl 27 Argonian Templar
  • Blud
    Blud
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It should cost magicka.

Exactly.
  • bosmern_ESO
    bosmern_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, lets make stamina builds even weaker.
    ~Thallen~
  • olemanwinter
    olemanwinter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Considering the fact that it's impossible to jump over damage (ever try to jump over a flame or spike trap in pve?) it would be absurd and ridiculous to have it cost stamina.
  • Kikazaru
    Kikazaru
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mizaru

“Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
  • PBpsy
    PBpsy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it should and so should heavy weapons attacks but this is ESO.
    Yes, lets make stamina builds even weaker.

And another one that didn't figure out that stamina is kind of the way to go since 1.4. :(
    Edited by PBpsy on November 19, 2014 5:06AM
    ESO forums achievements
    Proud fanboi
    Elitist jerk
    Troll
    Hater
    Fan of icontested(rainbow colors granted)
  • Epona222
    Epona222
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, I already have dodging and blocking to account for, no need to kick me when I am jumping.

Maybe I missed a memo, but does anyone use jumping in combat? (I haven't seen anyone doing it). It's not like some games where if you bounce around like a ping-pong ball it's a viable combat method because you avoid hits (I don't see that as hugely viable in this game), so I don't see the need to make it drain resources, that would just make it more of a pain to get from A to B.
    Edited by Epona222 on November 19, 2014 8:28AM
    GM - Ghost Sea Trading Co - NA PC

Epona was a Romano-Celtic goddess dating back to around 1800 to 2000 years before computer games were invented.
  • reagen_lionel
    reagen_lionel
    ✭✭✭✭
    play Oblivion or Morrowind. Jumping costs Stam in both. That said NOOOooooooOOOOOOOOooooooooo.... (Pauses for breath).... NO!!! Not now, not ever... I don't wanna!!!

I dont remember jumping costing stamina in Obliv.. Oooh wait. I remember now. Leveling up Athletics.