Maintenance for the week of September 9:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 9

Crafting motifs - Samurai

thren_fellhorn
Could we get samurai style weapons and armor?
  • Teiji
    Teiji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you seen Akaviri gear in game? I refer to the gear that the fighters guild members are mostly seen wearing, currently you can obtain that gear through the pvp zone Cyrodiil, you have to be of veteran rank in order to get them too.

Being able to graft in Akaviri, could be cool.
    "Serving Boethiah is Freedom, embracing heroism is Liberty, existing solely for noxiphilic sanguivoria is truth." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

European megaserver Fallout 4

Loyalist of Boethiah, heroism enthusiast, exposer of secrets, bless'ed of noxiphilic sanguivoria.

Nerf one grind, two more take its place; hail Gryndra!

I am a dank memer and satire enthusiast
  • thren_fellhorn
    I have not seen Akaviri gear yet, or even in the drops. Personally, I just want to use katanas, wakizashi, and tantos in game.
  • Teiji
    Teiji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Samurai-Armor-screenshots.jpg
    Sourced from google - Akaviri armor acquired from Cyrodiil

But yeah, the Ebony Blade is a Daedric artifact of the beautiful Mephala which is a two-handed katana, the Akaviri use the katana also. That said, It's likely just a matter of time before we're able to get our hands on their culture through their gear.

The way It's gone so far, wouldn't be surprised with a content update which opens up Cloud Ruler Temple where you can get unique gear similar to what you've put in your post. I firmly believe what you and I desire is coming, just not any time soon.

"Serving Boethiah is Freedom, embracing heroism is Liberty, existing solely for noxiphilic sanguivoria is truth." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Loyalist of Boethiah, heroism enthusiast, exposer of secrets, bless'ed of noxiphilic sanguivoria.

• justinbarrett
    justinbarrett
    ✭✭✭
    AHHHHH NOOOOOO, the LAST, very last thing I want(besides guns)is a samurai motif....I was a WoW player, and actually stopped playing that due to two things....ancient gameplay ideals and "theMists of Pandaria" expansion...I do not like asian/chinese themes in my fantasy RPG games...there is a place for them for certain, but not in these games. That is my opinion anyway.
  • Orchish
    Orchish
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Blades armour from previous TESO games always reminded me of Samurai armour.
  • thren_fellhorn
    @justin, I can understand that if it is over done, that can be annoying. But, just for the shear fun of it, I would like to be able to use that style of stuff because of the martial training i do. Just like i would love to have a bo staff, and hand to hand combat trees
  • thren_fellhorn
    Just like I would also love to see chain mail for armor too.
  • Teiji
    Teiji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not like asian/chinese themes in my fantasy RPG games...there is a place for them for certain, but not in these games

planet_nirn___geographical__v2__by_hori873-d6h7sh0.png

The island to the east of the Pandomeic Ocean, is Akavir.
    "Akavir, also known as Dragon Land, is a continental landmass east of Tamriel. The two continents have a history of animosity towards each other, with Akavir invading Tamriel several times in the past and Tamriel invading Akavir at least once."

There's an entire continent which is, to a degree and extent, consists of cultures which are eastern, as posted previously the Akaviri are known to use the katana and use it well.

There would never be a "samurai" motif, there may potentially be a motif based on the culture of Akavir.

• Aeratus
    Aeratus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AHHHHH NOOOOOO, the LAST, very last thing I want(besides guns)is a samurai motif....I was a WoW player, and actually stopped playing that due to two things....ancient gameplay ideals and "theMists of Pandaria" expansion...I do not like asian/chinese themes in my fantasy RPG games...there is a place for them for certain, but not in these games. That is my opinion anyway.
    Samurai-style weapons have always been a part of elder scrolls lore. They existed in Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim.

They also exist in ESO too. The pvp style sword is shaped like a Katana.
  • justinbarrett
    justinbarrett
    ✭✭✭
    I did not mean to offend, and I am well aware of these things...I remember having my butt handed to me in H to H in seyda neen(morrowind) right after getting off the boat, I was new to the ES gameplay and had no idea what I was getting into :) even back then you could see that the daedra(some) swords were influenced by katanas....I just do not like it...to me it is like having a nord ninja....just offputting and breaks my submersion.
  • thren_fellhorn
    to me it is like having a nord ninja....just offputting and breaks my submersion.

but it would be funny. nord ninjas
    Edited by thren_fellhorn on November 8, 2014 12:51AM
  • kijima
    kijima
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Akaviri is the Elder Scrolls version of Samurai in a sense, it 'looks' a little Samurai, but this is Nirn and we don't have Samurai's there, and nor should. We do have the Akaviri though.

There is a Akaviri styled Dominion Medium Armour set from PvP that looks very 'Last Samurai' in style, and the Akaviri Swords are pretty much a katana through and through.

Been here since Feb 2014 - You'd think I'd be half reasonable at this game by now...

A'marta - AD Sorc Tank
    Kijima - AD DK Derps
    Annure - AD NB Derps
    Boom Crash Opera - AD Sorc DPS

• thren_fellhorn
    @kijima I did not know about the the Akaviri until i created this discussion. I was looking to see if the developers would be open to it. I did not know that it was already there in Akaviri. Otherwise I would have put that as the title.
  • kijima
    kijima
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Traditional Elder Scrolls players who have played through Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim (of which there was a lot of Akaviri talk) would go full spaz if ZOS brought in something like Samurai's

You can't just add things into ESO lore because <reasons> and you'd like it, it's a story and things need to fit into it.
    Been here since Feb 2014 - You'd think I'd be half reasonable at this game by now...

A'marta - AD Sorc Tank
    Kijima - AD DK Derps
    Annure - AD NB Derps
    Boom Crash Opera - AD Sorc DPS

• Johnny_NO_skillz
    Johnny_NO_skillz
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone says it's from PvP... but where? A vendor? Are there token you give the vendor to get the set? Or gold?

What level/alliance rank does it require?
  • Mordria
    Mordria
    ✭✭✭✭
    Orchish wrote: »
    The Blades armour from previous TESO games always reminded me of Samurai armour.

I was going to say the same. It's always reminded me of Samurai also. A Blades Motif would be nice.
    Edited by Mordria on November 8, 2014 2:23AM
  • justinbarrett
    justinbarrett
    ✭✭✭
    it always seemed roman to me...always.
  • Rodario
    Rodario
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [...] just offputting and breaks my submersion.

I thought we couldn't dive in this game. How did you manage it? Before Samurais pulled you out of the water, that is.
    Edited by Rodario on November 8, 2014 4:43PM
    Victoria Lux - Templar Tank
    {EU/DC}
  • Rodario
    Rodario
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ah the Romans and their fondness for katanas...
    Victoria Lux - Templar Tank
    {EU/DC}
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have not seen Akaviri gear yet, or even in the drops. Personally, I just want to use katanas, wakizashi, and tantos in game.

Akaviri had Katanas and DaiKatanas, I think it had Wakizashi in Morrowind (but not Oblivion and Skyrim)

Samurai Armour is absent in Elder Scrolls universe, although the masks are similar to Dunmer and Yokudan masks on their Helmets, but they lack the flared edges.

That's as close as you are going to get with Elder Scrolls.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • Varicite
    Varicite
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The entire DK class is based on Akavir, the "asian" culture in TES lore.

It's really pretty heavily ingrained into the lore of TES universe, I don't think anybody is going to be taking them out for your personal tastes.

I'm glad too, because while MoP was a little too "chinese restaurant style over the top caricature of asian culture" for me, I still enjoy being a samurai in the few games of this genre that will allow me to be.
  • AngryNord
    AngryNord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Teiji wrote: »
    I do not like asian/chinese themes in my fantasy RPG games...there is a place for them for certain, but not in these games

planet_nirn___geographical__v2__by_hori873-d6h7sh0.png

The island to the east of the Pandomeic Ocean, is Akavir.
    "Akavir, also known as Dragon Land, is a continental landmass east of Tamriel. The two continents have a history of animosity towards each other, with Akavir invading Tamriel several times in the past and Tamriel invading Akavir at least once."

There's an entire continent which is, to a degree and extent, consists of cultures which are eastern, as posted previously the Akaviri are known to use the katana and use it well.

There would never be a "samurai" motif, there may potentially be a motif based on the culture of Akavir.

That is a fan-made map, not an official one.
  • AngryNord
    AngryNord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

The cuirasses look more Roman than Samurai, the helmets are more generic European, but the colouring and the greaves and boots kinda look samurai-like. The horns on the helmets in ESO also makes it slightly more samurai-like.
  • RDMyers65b14_ESO
    RDMyers65b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, it's PvP armor and not everyone is a PvPer. So, I bought mine from the kiosks.
  • Johnny_NO_skillz
    Johnny_NO_skillz
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, it's PvP armor and not everyone is a PvPer. So, I bought mine from the kiosks.

How? I thought it requires you to have a high PvP level??

• eNumbra
    eNumbra
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Akaviri had Katanas and DaiKatanas, I think it had Wakizashi in Morrowind (but not Oblivion and Skyrim)

Samurai Armour is absent in Elder Scrolls universe, although the masks are similar to Dunmer and Yokudan masks on their Helmets, but they lack the flared edges.

Back in Morrowind the Tantos existed as well and while the Akaviri armor looked samurai inspired the Orcish armor was blatantly samurai - masked helmets and all.
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 2H redguard greatswords resemble katanas imo.
  • AngryNord
    AngryNord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The 2H redguard greatswords resemble katanas imo.

Not really, they look more Persian/Turkish
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    eNumbra wrote: »

Back in Morrowind the Tantos existed as well and while the Akaviri armor looked samurai inspired the Orcish armor was blatantly samurai - masked helmets and all.

Right, so maybe they might do some Samurai inspired Akavira Armours, if they ever give us the motif. They won't be all out Samurai styled, but might have elements.

Not that it worries me either way.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • eNumbra
    eNumbra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Right, so maybe they might do some Samurai inspired Akavira Armours, if they ever give us the motif. They won't be all out Samurai styled, but might have elements.

Not that it worries me either way.

Agreed, I'm not worried about an Akaviri motif in particular, but I do want to see lots more craftable motifs. Plenty are already in the game as dropable sets, there's no reason to not make them findable as epic or legendary drops - even if it's done like they're doing Dwemer now; but I'll bet Zenimax already has soft plans for that for future content.
This discussion has been closed.