Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Writ rewards...

Xenite
Xenite
✭✭✭
Just tried my first one, Blacksmithing. Used 150 voidsteel bars to complete it. My reward.... 1x Garnet.

Really?!?

Random is random, but c'mon!
  • Ommamar
    Ommamar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes I agree the rewards don't seem comparative to what you need to put into them. I also am not to happy with the maps you receive. The only other problem is that the majority of my alts are heavy crafting to support my main. So generally they are unable to complete the writs even if they can craft the item. I think this needs to be reworked, good idea but not the best execution.
  • Grileenor
    Grileenor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You get quite some inspiration, so for chars, who are able to deliver the writs, they work quite well to level the craft. But ... that is all. The destinations have to be places, the char with its adventurer level is able to reach properly.

And if you are lucky and get a map... its a waste of time. You are led to a spot with more nodes for mats than usual. Nothing great, nothing special, nothing to be excited about. The new crafting writs are all about leveling, if you have spare mats. This could have been done far better, if you ask me.

How: The point of delivery can be reached by any character, the maps lead to treasures, not wood and rocks. Hardeners, style books, rare stuff or even half a level of inspiration? This would get people busy. I have scrapped a map already to free the space in my inventory. What a waste...
  • DenverRalphy
    DenverRalphy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grileenor wrote: »
    You get quite some inspiration, so for chars, who are able to deliver the writs, they work quite well to level the craft. But ... that is all. The destinations have to be places, the char with its adventurer level is able to reach properly.

And if you are lucky and get a map... its a waste of time. You are led to a spot with more nodes for mats than usual. Nothing great, nothing special, nothing to be excited about. The new crafting writs are all about leveling, if you have spare mats. This could have been done far better, if you ask me.

How: The point of delivery can be reached by any character, the maps lead to treasures, not wood and rocks. Hardeners, style books, rare stuff or even half a level of inspiration? This would get people busy. I have scrapped a map already to free the space in my inventory. What a waste...

The spot you're led to doesn't just have more nodes than usual. Each of those nodes also drop a lot more than they usually do (6-9 units from what I have seen). Additionally they also drop quality items on occasion too. ie.. the Voidsteel nodes can drop Fortified and/or Potent Nirncrux.

• Ashtaris
    Ashtaris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes, I totally agree. The crafting writs are basically worthless to anyone except perhaps a new player. For woodworking, it had me make nine Yew staffs, 3 Inferno, 3 Ice, and 3 Restoration's. To create that took over 50 pieces of Sanded Yew, which I ended up buying at the guild store for about 350 gold. In return I got the quest gold, a Yew Lightning staff, and some trait stone that I already have in the 100's. It's great for a new player to go through this for the crafting skills, but for the rest of us, it's basically a time sink while ZOS scurries to get new content ready :)
  • nikolaj.lemcheb16_ESO
    nikolaj.lemcheb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did 7 writs today and I wont ever do anymore. It cost me literally thousands in mats and the reward were a few irrelevant materials and one survey that only gave common white craft materials......

This is beyond stupid.
  • Siluen
    Siluen
    ✭✭✭✭
    I did 3 writs, clothing, woodworking and blacksmithing. Upon handing them in I got a special treasure map for each one of them.

The clothing and woodworking maps lead me to a bunch of nodes in lower Craglorn, it resulted in some raw materials, not much else.

The blacksmithing map however, led me to a collection of nodes in Upper Craglorn and resulted in me obtaining raw mats, plus 5(!) nirncrux. 2 Potent, 3 Fortified. This map was actually the first one I followed, so it left me with rather high expectations, until a friend I whispered told me what he got for all of his writs. xD
  • DenverRalphy
    DenverRalphy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did 7 writs today and I wont ever do anymore. It cost me literally thousands in mats and the reward were a few irrelevant materials and one survey that only gave common white craft materials......

This is beyond stupid.

The crafting writs aren't expensive if you use mats you already have, or farm for them. Spending thousands for the mats for the writs is just nutty. The writs are geared towards crafters, and crafters typically farm their own materials.
  • nikolaj.lemcheb16_ESO
    nikolaj.lemcheb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is beyond stupid.

The crafting writs aren't expensive if you use mats you already have, or farm for them. Spending thousands for the mats for the writs is just nutty. The writs are geared towards crafters, and crafters typically farm their own materials.

It was worded wrongly. Worth thousands in materials should be the right words. It was 5 hours of farming that gave NOTHING. Time is worth something, in game money is not.
  • Ommamar
    Ommamar
    ✭✭✭✭
    "The crafting writs aren't expensive if you use mats you already have, or farm for them. Spending thousands for the mats for the writs is just nutty. The writs are geared towards crafters, and crafters typically farm their own materials."

Here is the thing if you play as a crafter from a role playing perspective or just as a support to other characters there would simply be no way you could farm your own materials. Even my main has problems getting the ebony he needs for the crafting writs as the zone he is in the main nodes are Dwarven with the rare being ebony. It just seems like this was designed with beginning characters as the focus. Maybe ZOS is trying to get people to roll alts I don't know but little motivation to continue with writs for the current population.

One solution I can think of is allow players to choose the writ level then base the reward of that level.
  • gilandbb14_ESO
    I have 3 chars that tradeskill, all lvl 50 tradeskills, but only vet1-vet2 xp wise. I am getting Calcinium ore on nodes, but writs are requiring voidstone.

Interestingly enough, my lvl 10 mage who also is doing smithing, clothing and woodworking and requires the mats for his level, iron, jute, etc and not for what his tradeskill level is.

So before vet, it is based on char level, after vet requires only vet 9+ mats it seems.
  • Khupa
    Khupa
    The Reward is junk. My main is Crafter (jack of all trades) lv 50 in all crafting. I did a few today just to see what i do get and really it was just a waste of time.
    If you are leveling a new crafter or starting the game for the 1st time then is good for you otherwise in my opinion is better spend doing something else.
  • Gyudan
    Gyudan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I did 5 blacksmithing, 4 clothing and 2 woodworking writs with level 50 crafters.
    Out of those I got 1 survey report from clothing and one from woodworking.
    When I harvested the nodes, none of them gave me nirncrux stones.

That's quite a few stacks of endgame materials wasted for pretty much nothing. :(
    Edited by Gyudan on November 6, 2014 2:59AM
    Wololo.
  • Zed
    Zed
    ✭✭✭
    Gyudan wrote: »
    Out of those I got 1 survey report from clothing and one from woodworking.
    When I harvested the nodes, none of them gave me nirncrux stones.

That's quite a few stacks of endgame materials wasted for pretty much nothing. :(
    The only maps that I've heard of where you get nirncrux is the blacksmithing one. RNG may be a factor but that blacksmithing is what everyone says when nirncrux is brought up leads me to believe otherwise.
    Spend spend spend! 'Cause you don't know any better.
  • elowan
    elowan
    ✭✭✭
    I have 3 chars that tradeskill, all lvl 50 tradeskills, but only vet1-vet2 xp wise. I am getting Calcinium ore on nodes, but writs are requiring voidstone.

Interestingly enough, my lvl 10 mage who also is doing smithing, clothing and woodworking and requires the mats for his level, iron, jute, etc and not for what his tradeskill level is.

So before vet, it is based on char level, after vet requires only vet 9+ mats it seems.

It's based on your highest "material" skill level. So if you're at, say, 6/9 in "metalworking" (the blacksmith 'material' skill), which gives you access to calcinium, your writ will require calcinium. If you're at 9/9 for metalworking (voidstone), you'd need voidstone. This is independent of your character level.

My VR1 blacksmith had to use calcinium (as she's only 6/9 on material), my VR2 woodworker had to use nightwood (she's 9/9 material). In contrast, my L18 alchemist, who is 6/6 in solvents, was asked to make a Vet1 elixir. (For some reason, alchemy seems to be a range - he was asked for an elixir, a panacea, and a solution (Vr1/VR5/L40) from different writ requests)

The real trick is that sub-VR1, you'll find it difficult to turn in the writ for the top level items. (as the top level stuff goes to Craglorn)

All that said, I'll admit to being pretty underwhelmed by the rewards for top-tier writs. I can see them being useful for the specific case where you're actively leveling a craft while you level up a character. There, you'd both be able to actively gather the mat you need, and you can actually use the inspiration you gather from the quest.

At R50 in a craft, the inspiration is worthless, the monetary reward either barely covers the vendor-price mat value (or outright doesn't cover it - the 9x nightwood staves I made today for my Wood writ would have vendored for 612 gold), and the chance at rare items seems fairly... rare. The one bright spot seems to be that you /can/ get survey maps to upper craglorn, where you /can/ get nirncrux. That said, I've done cloth/wood (both at max level) every day since the patch, and I've gotten 3 surveys, only one of which (one of the cloth surveys) was in upper craglorn, and which yielded zero nirncrux. There's anecdotal reports (unconfirmed) that BS surveys may be yielding more nirncrux / being placed in upper crag more often.

Give the daily cost in materials, I can't see doing this for too long, once my massive stock of refined mats is consumed. The two top-tier writs I did today cost 99x nightwood and 78x shadowhide, for a total return of 754 gold, 40k inspiration (wasted), and 998xp, plus a sardonyx, a citrine, two intricate white items, and one survey, which yielded 58 raw mats.

Not a total bust, but underwhelming for sure. It would have been nice if there was a separate little boon for doing the max-level writ, something that would give top-level crafters a good reason for doing them.

I'm more used to daily quests being a way of either 1) getting a daily, decent boost of xp, 2) building up 'credit' of some kind (tokens, currency, whatever), 3) getting rare mats, etc. Unless the long-term survey / nirncrux yield turns out to be higher than it seems, I just can't see the rationale for capped crafters.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ashtaris wrote: »
    For woodworking, it had me make nine Yew staffs, 3 Inferno, 3 Ice, and 3 Restoration's.......In return I got the quest gold, a Yew Lightning staff, and some trait stone that I already have in the 100's.

Enchanting seems to be OK. I only have to make one glyph and have one rune. In return I get 20000 inspiration for a few minutes work. The loot rewards are meh, but the Inspiration gain is nice for the effort that I put in.

I was going to do some Weapon/Armor writs tonight, but not after reading how many you had to make.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• nostrudel
    nostrudel
    Soul Shriven
    Well I tried doing some writs for the first time yesterday and today, and until they do SOMETHING about the rewards, they can count me out. Yesterday I got a repair kit and a moonstone in exchange for using up over 50 quicksilver ingots. Huh? I thought that was bad. Today it was 80 (80!) voidsteel ingots and my reward was (drum roll please) ONE TURQUOIS. ARE YOU SERIOUS??? Check please, and hope ya'll don't expect a tip for this brilliant idea.
  • I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Obviously the latest patch is a bust, but included in the patch notes was this:

"Fixed an issue where high-end Clothier Writ rewards were not giving the correct tier of Repair Kit. Clothier's Satchel VII - IX will now give Grand Repair Kits."

So they admit to having "high-end" rewards, though it's debatable whether a repair kit is "high-end". And they also admit to "correct tiers", allocating rewards to people based on their capability. So they do already consider this...

Which is as it should be - after all I'm providing voidsteel, shadowsilk, monumental glyphs, panaceas, etc. I would expect that tiers are implemented because the cost of what I'm providing is higher (even just selling to a vendor would get me more cash for voidsteel rather than iron).

I'm a Master Crafter and expect to be rewarded as such :)

However, what they appear to have left to the RNG is the "low-end" rewards for any tier - in that there isn't a minimum level. I've received a single diamond, a single sardonix - and obviously I'm not alone. Now that's just crazy! No wonder those people in Craglorn keep issuing writs - they are getting tons of high quality product for just a single trait stone. I feel that my customers are making a fool of me.

They should be more careful. The weapons and armour I sell them are rubbish compared to those I craft for myself...
  • Ommamar
    Ommamar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Current design is to level lower level crafters. I think what would be cool is if once you hit 50 you can start making writs for low level players as your apprentices.
  • Grim13
    Grim13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    31 writs completed, 2 surveys received.

No thanks. They're useless.
  • neueregel
    neueregel
    ✭✭✭
    one word that describes these rewards.

theycompletelysucksobadthatiamshockedthattheyeverthoughtthiswouldbeagoodidea
    Are you not entertained?
    On my command, unleash hell!
    What we do in life echoes in eternity
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    neueregel wrote: »
    one word that describes these rewards.

theycompletelysucksobadthatiamshockedthattheyeverthoughtthiswouldbeagoodidea

Or just bad!

I'm not a fan of these writs, they are not fun, and the rewards (including inspiration) are not that good.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Completed first Alchemy writ. Good news is it's fixed finally. But the reward is nothing to get excited about. I got 3 Cloud MIst, 3 Wormwood, and Survey map for reward. Survey map yielded 2 Lady Smock, 6 Blessed Thistle, 6 Dragonthorn, 2 worms, 2 plump worms. Whoop-ti-do and La-di-da. At least this writ does not required material outlay of smithing writs. I'm so underwhelmed.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • Rittings
    Rittings
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think maybe give the remotest possibility of some good rewards - I've never had more than a trait stone, usually like 5 or 10 of the raw material that I used over 60 of to make the damned writ in the first place... and then they give you a piece with 280% increased EXP when breaking down (which is a chocolate teapot when you are doing the top level writs and your skill is already at 50!!). At least eliminate the 280% increase in EXP and make it so, if an item with 280% increase HAS to drop, that's its always the one that sells to merchants for more!
  • whyB
    whyB
    ✭✭✭
    I, personally, have found that the easiest way to complete the writs to only do writs that are in my current level. For instance, I am level 49. At level 49 Ebony Ingots are required for crafting gear my level (I believe ebony is used for level 46-50 gear). Anything metal related that I steal is going to be scaled to my level (ebony). So I steal for about 20 minutes and deconstruct everything and then use that material for that days writ. I do this for all 3 equipment crafting writs (all scaled to my level for easy access to materials). Sure, I have the skill points available to go 9/9 in crafting, but knowing that I would not be able to get the material other than buying it makes no sense to me (because as multiple people said above it is expensive). Once I hit VR 1, I will put 3 more points into the equipment crafting passives, which will again allow me easy access to the materials.

Just my two cents - but this has saved time (farming) and money (buying mats).
  • ALLST6R
    ALLST6R
    Soul Shriven
    This is weird to read because I get a survey almost every day from writs. It's half the reason I have stacks of ingots and such in my bank.

Best reward I received so far to date is the one I got earlier today. Legendary enchantment rune....
    Be a brah and help a nooby brah out
  • Kholty22
    Kholty22
    ✭✭✭
    Just did 3 writs yesterday, 2 Blacksmith, and 1 clothier. Grabbed the blacksmith one a day before and forgot to do. So I had 2 for the day. Received a tempering alloy for both. Clothier I also received a dreugh wax. Felt lucky.
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, the rewards should be a bit better when they give you the 'low end'.

On the high end, they are fine, but getting a trait stone you will trash anyway is a bit insulting. Maybe a small stack of unrefined ingots at least (like ten or twenty).

EDIT: I do want to add though that on average, you do better more often than not if you stick with them. Getting maps, gold mats occasionally. The intricate items you can sell in store for a couple hundred if you don't need to raise your own skill anymore. The ornate obviously are worth vendoring. Another tip: Try stealing a bunch of gear from vendors around the area to break down before you do your writs each day, helps keep up with the mat use.
    Edited by xaraan on August 28, 2015 4:19PM
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
  • MiBlueEagle
    MiBlueEagle
    ✭✭
    There needs to be new writ rewards for provisioning. I'm tired of getting the same recipes over and over. I already have them. Change it to be a chance to receive a recipe that I don't already know. I do all 6 writs religiously every day on my V16 completionist character. I am only missing a handful of recipes that I am constantly checking guild traders for and cannot find. At least give me some hope that I might find something I don't already have. I've even started leveling my other characters and doing writs at those specific levels and they just find the same items as well.
  • bryanhaas
    bryanhaas
    ✭✭✭✭
    There needs to be new writ rewards for provisioning. I'm tired of getting the same recipes over and over. I already have them. Change it to be a chance to receive a recipe that I don't already know. I do all 6 writs religiously every day on my V16 completionist character. I am only missing a handful of recipes that I am constantly checking guild traders for and cannot find. At least give me some hope that I might find something I don't already have. I've even started leveling my other characters and doing writs at those specific levels and they just find the same items as well.

Exactly, every so often maybe once a month I might get a blue recipe but everything else is the same recipes
    PS4 NA AD GM formerly known as GM of "The Children of the Void"

9 trait crafter I do all the things (Yes I mean ALL the things ;0).

Price list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FTV7ACtmEpQQwsEiHVcrBxC0zKaj6LKvc3An7dGG2t0/edit?usp=sharing
    Youtube: MaulochBaal https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRav05_8nWGvlTrfBBefaEw/featured
  • Mike0987
    Mike0987
    ✭✭✭
    So when Rogjoll in orsimium doesn't give just compensation such as a glass motif fragment (since I do them every day and have to to master glass in over 6 months), then simply take payment out of his hide since there are 2-3 of him standing ontop one another that you can kill. It costs you more but it serves him right!