The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Strange, large landmass found west of Glenumbra - possibly Yokuda?

Neizir
Neizir
✭✭✭✭✭
I was on Reddit today, and I saw that a player had seemingly discovered a large landmass west of Glenumbra. I decided to log on and check this for myself, and sure enough, it's there.
Here is a picture of the landmass. It's too faint to see most of the details, but if you look really closely, it looks like it has a sort of desert-like texture.
http://i.imgur.com/3in1dp9.jpg
This, most likely, is Yokuda, the original homeland of the Redguard race. Craglorn's storyline is heavily centered on the Yokudans. About 3000 years before the events of ESO, something catastrophic happened to Yokuda, causing it to sink into the sea and rendering it inhospitable, causing the Redguards to come to Hammerfell.

There is a phenomenon in the Abecean Sea, where Yokuda is located, called the Maelstrom of Bal. It might have been the reason behind why Yokuda sank into the sea. The Maelstrom is a doorway into Oblivion, and whatever realm it leads to (Possibly Coldharbour) might have just spat Yokuda out again. There's no lore reason on why Yokuda was destroyed, but this would be a really exciting location for an expansion.
Neizir Stormstrider

EU Megaserver

UK
▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬
I have a fancy signature.
▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬
  • BBSooner
    BBSooner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they could make that Yokuda, though I was under tge impression geographically that out was further off the coast than just spotting distance.
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    BBSooner wrote: »
    I think they could make that Yokuda, though I was under tge impression geographically that out was further off the coast than just spotting distance.

Yes it is/was, I just looked on the Elder Scrolls Wiki, It's way out to sea. So what ever the land mass is, it isn't Yokuda.

There are a number of Islands on the map though, some of them might be big enough to be whatever has been spotted.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • Mordria
    Mordria
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's Nessie. I know it.
  • Nazon_Katts
    Nazon_Katts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    treefiddy.
    "You've probably figured that out by now. Let's hope so. Or we're in real trouble... and out come the intestines. And I skip rope with them!"
  • Samadhi
    Samadhi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    cyrodiillargelowrescr7.jpg

Map from imperial library seems to show an island named Kruzka in roughly that direction and latitude.

Edit:
    Link to full size image for easier viewing: http://www.imperial-library.info/sites/default/files/imagecache/node-gallery-display/gallery_files/cyrodiillargelowrescr7.jpg
    Edited by Samadhi on October 31, 2014 2:11PM
    "If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." -- the 14th Dalai Lama
    Wisdom is doing Now that which benefits you later.
  • Aett_Thorn
    Aett_Thorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even that small island is way too far to be seen from Glenumbra, thoug. Whatever that is that can be seen would be no more than about 6-8 miles from shore.
  • Gyudan
    Gyudan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Maybe it's some other daedric prince using submarine dark anchors in order to merge his realm and nirn.
    Wololo.
  • BBSooner
    BBSooner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aett_Thorn wrote: »
    Even that small island is way too far to be seen from Glenumbra, thoug. Whatever that is that can be seen would be no more than about 6-8 miles from shore.

The island next to Skywatch in Auridon in game is I believe Stirk (though I don't recall personally) however in the map its clearly nowhere near Skywatch, much less apparently swimming distance as it looks in game.
  • Neizir
    Neizir
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The island next to Skywatch in Auridon in game is I believe Stirk (though I don't recall personally) however in the map its clearly nowhere near Skywatch, much less apparently swimming distance as it looks in game.

Actually that island is a Veiled Heritance Training Ground, not Stirk.
    Neizir Stormstrider

EU Megaserver

UK
    ▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬
    ▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬
  • BBSooner
    BBSooner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neizir wrote: »

I was under the impression that they commandeered stirk as its the only island between Auridon and mainland Tamriel. If that's not the case then the island in the OP could be nothing on the map at all.
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I was under the impression that they commandeered stirk as its the only island between Auridon and mainland Tamriel. If that's not the case then the island in the OP could be nothing on the map at all.

No, The veiled heritance training ground is a completely different island.

But you could be right about the OPs island being nothing at all, it might just be an uncharted island of no interest. Or it could be a pirate's den, with hidden bases and treasure galore. Or something completely different.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • Gedalya
    Gedalya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was on Reddit today, and I saw that a player had seemingly discovered a large landmass west of Glenumbra. I decided to log on and check this for myself, and sure enough, it's there.
    Here is a picture of the landmass. It's too faint to see most of the details, but if you look really closely, it looks like it has a sort of desert-like texture.
    http://i.imgur.com/3in1dp9.jpg
    This, most likely, is Yokuda, the original homeland of the Redguard race. Craglorn's storyline is heavily centered on the Yokudans. About 3000 years before the events of ESO, something catastrophic happened to Yokuda, causing it to sink into the sea and rendering it inhospitable, causing the Redguards to come to Hammerfell.

There is a phenomenon in the Abecean Sea, where Yokuda is located, called the Maelstrom of Bal. It might have been the reason behind why Yokuda sank into the sea. The Maelstrom is a doorway into Oblivion, and whatever realm it leads to (Possibly Coldharbour) might have just spat Yokuda out again. There's no lore reason on why Yokuda was destroyed, but this would be a really exciting location for an expansion.

Two words: Optical Illusion.

Also, if you would like to know more about the Yokudan and Yokuda, here is an informative piece I wrote:

tamrielfoundry.com/2014/07/eso-mythos-yokudan/
    Edited by Gedalya on October 31, 2014 3:54PM
    Baskin Robbins always finds out.

Check out my ESO name generator: eso.tamriel.org
  • eNumbra
    eNumbra
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You can see White Gold Tower from Stormhaven, I'm looking at it right now in fact - and I'm not even looking in the direction of Cyrodiil; going by that same rule, you would be able to see that island from Glenumbra.

Because thinking that the map designers for ESO did so with real world rules in mind would be wrong. This of course doesn't mean it is either Yokuda or Kruzka, just that applying real world variables in this case doesn't negate anything.
  • Aett_Thorn
    Aett_Thorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    eNumbra wrote: »

You can see White Gold Tower from Stormhaven, I'm looking at it right now in fact - and I'm not even looking in the direction of Cyrodiil; going by that same rule, you would be able to see that island from Glenumbra.

Because thinking that the map designers for ESO did so with real world rules in mind would be wrong. This of course doesn't mean it is either Yokuda or Kruzka, just that applying real world variables in this case doesn't negate anything.

Are you seeing the White-Gold Tower, or the Adamantine Tower?
  • Voodoo
    Voodoo
    ✭✭✭✭
    Time to put on your Anti-Slaughterfish suit and find out!
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Actually what you are seeing is probably this.

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Direnni_Tower
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • Warraxx
    Warraxx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    History_MQ_Bigfoot_Evidence_SF_HD_still_624x352.jpg
  • BBSooner
    BBSooner
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You're looking at the Adamantine Tower most likely. The island has been explored.
  • eNumbra
    eNumbra
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you seeing the White-Gold Tower, or the Adamantine Tower?

It would seem to be the Adamantine tower. Recycled art is best art.
  • Sotha_Sil
    Sotha_Sil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What you are looking at is simply Coldharbour... where did you think they would put it ?
    Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise! - Spells and incantations for those with the talent to cast them!
  • LunaRae
    LunaRae
    ✭✭✭✭
    Voodoo wrote: »

Finally someone suggests the most sensible idea to just swim to the island. I've got my Argonian swim speed passive, retreating maneuver and speed potions ready to outswim the slaughter fish.
    Stands-Strong-As-Snow ~ Argonian Templar DC NA V14
    Ytheri ~ Argonian Nightblade EP Thornblade NA V14
    Heals-All-Colours ~ Argonian Templar EP Thornblade NA V14
    Stands-In-Still-Waters~ Argonian Sorcerer EP Thornblade NA V2
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    LunaRae wrote: »

Finally someone suggests the most sensible idea to just swim to the island. I've got my Argonian swim speed passive, retreating maneuver and speed potions ready to outswim the slaughter fish.

We eagerly await the results of your explorations.
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
  • Nazon_Katts
    Nazon_Katts
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Indeed.
    "You've probably figured that out by now. Let's hope so. Or we're in real trouble... and out come the intestines. And I skip rope with them!"
  • Warraxx
    Warraxx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    just get a DK to dragon leap over to it...
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sotha_Sil wrote: »
    What you are looking at is simply Coldharbour... where did you think they would put it ?
    This would probably be the best explanation. Every landscape in game needs to exist somewhere on the map (a.k.a. the plane of existence). The credo goes: "Just put it far out in the middle of nowhere where no-one can ever reach it -- oops(*)".

*) Usually uttered when some ingenious player has reached the fabled Gamemaster's Island, although they possibly couldn't weren't supposed to.
    Edited by KhajitFurTrader on October 31, 2014 10:56PM
  • Woolenthreads
    Woolenthreads
    ✭✭✭✭

You'll probably need to get de-synced too.
    Oooh look, lot's of Butterflies! Wait! Butterflies? Get out of here Sheo, stop bugging me!

Having issues with Provisioning Writs? A list of problem Writs and people willing to help in game can be found in this Thread
  • Nova Sky
    Nova Sky
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Indeed.

*checks time* Hmm. He's not back yet from his swim. I think the slaughterfish got him.

Who's going to tell his wife and children?
    "Wheresoever you go, go with all of your heart."
  • Ragefist
    Ragefist
    ✭✭✭✭
    About 3000 years before the events of ESO, something catastrophic happened to Yokuda, causing it to sink into the sea and rendering it inhospitable, causing the Redguards to come to Hammerfell.

They used pankratosword, a cutting technique so fine that it could cut atomos in half.

Once used on Orichalc tower built by lefthanded elves, the cut atomos caused chain reaction

Yes, they basically nuked Yokuda with nuclear blast
  • Neizir
    Neizir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So today I returned to Glenumbra where I was able to view the island. I turned on my draw distance extender and I found this:
    zUVXeUm.png
    This doesn't seem to be Coldharbour. It looks like a small island with lots of sand and a few grassy hills. Whatever it is, I'm sure we're going to be able to go there at some point in the future.
    Neizir Stormstrider

EU Megaserver

UK
    ▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬
    ▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬
  • Sotha_Sil
    Sotha_Sil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whatever it is, I'm sure we're going to be able to go there at some point in the future.

Yep, but let's say in 2050 ?
    Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise! - Spells and incantations for those with the talent to cast them!