The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Taking scrolls from behind closed gates

Magdalina
Magdalina
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
I'm not sure if there's already been a topic on this, I haven't seen one if so. But I just had to say something. I'm sure everyone who plays on NA Thorn knows what I'm talking about. I'm not much of a PvP player, I'm mostly just passing time in Cyro til 1.5 comes out but...really? Taking scrolls from behind closed gates? Is this like...normal? If it is, why have closed gates at all if you can just magically Dragonleap on them or whatever and go steal the scroll? If it's not, how on Tamriel could this be not fixed the very day it appeared? It's defeating like the very core idea of defending your own scrolls by keeping the gates closed. That's just ridiculous>.<
  • Sublime
    Sublime
    ✭✭✭✭
    Didn't they at some point implement a patch which should kill everybody who is in the area behind the gates while the gates are closed?
  • Keron
    Keron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that one was only for the starter areas.

Just killing everyone behind gate would also defeat the legitimate tactic of passing the open gate, hiding inside, waiting for defenders to disappear and get it from under their backsides.

That doesn't mean at all that I condone exploiting past closed gates to steal scrolls, which may still happen albeit much less frequent than a few weeks ago.
    Edited by Keron on October 30, 2014 10:40AM
  • FluffiestOne
    FluffiestOne
    ✭✭✭✭
    There is a barrier, called, " Barrier of (scroll name) ". It instantly kills anyone ENTERING the gates that isn't from the faction, but leaving the gate is straight.
    Fluffy
    Senior Fluffykins, Daggerfall Liberator of Haderus, Dragonknight.
    Fliffers, Daggerfall Liberator of Hopesfire, Templar.
    Prophet Fluffy of Death, Casual of the Dominion, Sorceror.
    Nozdorumu The Timeless, Daggerfall. Dragon. Nightblade.
    All my toon names are subject to change.
    " Ignorance must be bliss because I can't imagine why anyone would live in it. " -Fluffy
  • Keron
    Keron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a barrier, called, " Barrier of (scroll name) ". It instantly kills anyone ENTERING the gates that isn't from the faction, but leaving the gate is straight.
    Thanks for clearing that up! That means, that they have implemented a mechanic that prevents for example DKFly to the NPCs or other ways to pass that gate.

How about the terrain glitches of the mountain range around the scroll temples (don't know if such a thing exists or not)? Is this barrier in effect all around that region or only at the "gate building"?

I remember some discussion that it is allegedly possible to "drop below surface and run in". No clue about validity, but would be nice to know the "range" of the kill barrier.
    Edited by Keron on October 30, 2014 12:12PM
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Well, apparently not because I'm pretty sure Gate of Ni-Mohk hasn't been opened for days by now. Yet yesterday and then again today same AD players mysteriously took it out of the temple and even out of the gate. I have no clue how they got there, but this s...stuff really shouldn't be happening.
  • FluffiestOne
    FluffiestOne
    ✭✭✭✭
    I haven't been able to find any glitches or techniques to get in around the gate, or avoid its damage.
    Fluffy
    " Ignorance must be bliss because I can't imagine why anyone would live in it. " -Fluffy
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Keron wrote: »
    Thanks for clearing that up! That means, that they have implemented a mechanic that prevents for example DKFly to the NPCs or other ways to pass that gate.

How about the terrain glitches of the mountain range around the scroll temples (don't know if such a thing exists or not)? Is this barrier in effect all around that region or only at the "gate building"?

I remember some discussion that it is allegedly possible to "drop below surface and run in".

I've heard that too, it must be true because I've seen recently people take scrolls from closed gates that haven't been opened for days.

DK jump to NPCs no longer works. I tested it yesterday and got one-shotted by the "Barrier of [Scroll Name]" for 7k damage. Quick way to suicide though :P
    EU | PC | AD
  • Agrippa_Invisus
    Agrippa_Invisus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Magdalina wrote: »
    Well, apparently not because I'm pretty sure Gate of Ni-Mohk hasn't been opened for days by now. Yet yesterday and then again today same AD players mysteriously took it out of the temple and even out of the gate. I have no clue how they got there, but this s...stuff really shouldn't be happening.

NiMohk (and Alma Ruma) was opened during Prime time US time on Wednesday.
    Agrippa Invisus / Indominus / Inprimis / Inviolatus
    DragonKnight / Templar / Warden / Sorcerer - Vagabond
    Once a General, now a Citizen
    Former Emperor of Bloodthorn and Vivec
    For Sweetrolls! FOR FIMIAN!
  • Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    There's also a bug where if you have a poor connection occasionally none of the keeps or gates will load but the objects in them will so you can run through walls / under keeps if they are raised etc..
    I'll find my screenshot of it later and update this post.

My solution would be to place a time limit on it, so a scrolls barrier protection takes say 2h to charge after the gate was closed. After those 2h's it cannot be picked up unless the gate is reopened. Seems like a fair enough time to be fighting for a scroll. Make it longer if anything 4-6h.
    Edited by Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO on October 30, 2014 12:34PM
    @Solar_Breeze
    NA ~ Izanerys: Dracarys (Videos | Dracast Podcast)
    EU ~ Izanagi: Roleplay Circle (AOE Rats/ Zerg Squad / Banana Squad)
  • Gumpnstein
    Gumpnstein
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a faction got tired of troll camps and found a way to troll back? ZOS obviously has left it up to the player's to police other player's, so oh well is what I say...sound's like a personal problem for the blue team, guess your faction brought it on themselves?
    Edited by Gumpnstein on October 30, 2014 12:39PM
  • FluffiestOne
    FluffiestOne
    ✭✭✭✭
    I
    There's also a bug where if you have a poor connection occasionally none of the keeps or gates will load but the objects in them will so you can run through walls / under keeps if they are raised etc..
    I'll find my screenshot of it later and update this post.

My solution would be to place a time limit on it, so a scrolls barrier protection takes say 2h to charge after the gate was closed. After those 2h's it cannot be picked up unless the gate is reopened. Seems like a fair enough time to be fighting for a scroll. Make it longer if anything 4-6h.

That bug won't allow you to get into the scroll area, per my testing I did a few weeks ago. Easy to replicate btw ZoS, feel free to send me a message.
    Fluffy
  • lostavalon
    lostavalon
    ✭✭✭
    ad have put FC's behind the gates, how they have got them there i do not no!
    @Choof
    Kontrol Freek - Sorcerer
    PC/NA
  • Lord_Draevan
    Lord_Draevan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apparently you can place Forward Camps at the siege training range inside enemy Gates, as an EP I've seen both DC and AD camps there.
    I'm a man of few words. Any questions?
    NA/PC server
  • FluffiestOne
    FluffiestOne
    ✭✭✭✭
    Apparently you can place Forward Camps at the siege training range inside enemy Gates, as an EP I've seen both DC and AD camps there.

^ This. You can.
    Fluffy
  • Gillysan
    Gillysan
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have only ever seen someone using an alt to carry a scroll out of a keep and give it to the stealing Alliance. You see a message flash on your screen that so&so from your Alliance has picked up the scroll, then it moves outside, then the message of the opposing Alliance picking it up. Maybe in the heat of battle you missed the message?
  • FluffiestOne
    FluffiestOne
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gillysan wrote: »
    I have only ever seen someone using an alt to carry a scroll out of a keep and give it to the stealing Alliance. You see a message flash on your screen that so&so from your Alliance has picked up the scroll, then it moves outside, then the message of the opposing Alliance picking it up. Maybe in the heat of battle you missed the message?

lol what u talking about
    Fluffy
  • TheBull
    TheBull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sublime wrote: »
    Didn't they at some point implement a patch which should kill everybody who is in the area behind the gates while the gates are closed?
    Yes they did. It was in patch notes about 3 months ago. It worked for about 2 weeks until the next patch. When it worked, it killed whoever trying to pass back through a closed gate.

- Fixed an issue where you were not getting killed properly when passing through the scroll gates before your alliance owned the appropriate keeps.
    Edited by TheBull on October 30, 2014 1:12PM
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Gillysan wrote: »

Eerrrmm, you cannot pickup a scroll that has been placed to a podium? Only one that's been dropped?
    EU | PC | AD
  • serenenightmare
    serenenightmare
    ✭✭✭

Our gates haven't been opened for a good 24 hours, but hey, if a certain saucy player feels the need to take our scroll, only to fail 5 times, let him, if that's how they want to play.
    Edited by serenenightmare on October 30, 2014 1:56PM
    v14 Sorcerer: Aerendyl Merith
    Former Empress of Volendrung, first cycle.
    Former Empress of Thornblade, fourth cycle.
    v14 Templar: Aeren-chan
    v1 Dragonknight: Aelrindel Merith
    v1 Nightblade: Arendelle Merith
    No Mercy.
    Aeren Cartel, Best Drugs North America
  • Huntler
    Huntler
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Our gates haven't been opened for a good 24 hours, but hey, if a certain saucy player feels the need to take our scroll, only to fail 5 times, let him, if that's how they want to play.

Your gates were open last night sweetcheeks, primetime.
    Edited by Huntler on October 30, 2014 2:27PM
  • Manoekin
    Manoekin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If there was no tower farming it's a bunch of noobs anyway. Best tower NA behind those gates.
  • Huntler
    Huntler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Manoekin wrote: »
    If there was no tower farming it's a bunch of noobs anyway. Best tower NA behind those gates.

No doubt.
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Huntler wrote: »

Nubcake to sweetcheeks? I'm disappointed in you, you've mellowed.
    EU | PC | AD
  • Huntler
    Huntler
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Nubcake to sweetcheeks? I'm disappointed in you, you've mellowed.

:( : forgive me

tumblr_ll9n6po4pR1qb7eqw.gif
    Edited by Huntler on October 30, 2014 2:45PM
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS supports this kind of gameplay(aka a "grey area")

this is part of the reason why I stopped playing on thornblade
  • Rune_Relic
    Rune_Relic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keron wrote: »

I remember some discussion that it is allegedly possible to "drop below surface and run in".

I've heard that too, it must be true because I've seen recently people take scrolls from closed gates that haven't been opened for days.

DK jump to NPCs no longer works. I tested it yesterday and got one-shotted by the "Barrier of [Scroll Name]" for 7k damage. Quick way to suicide though :P

Yay....team blood port FTW
    Anything that can be exploited will be exploited
  • serenenightmare
    serenenightmare
    ✭✭✭

Hmm, must have missed it. I just remember holding Glade while AD had Rayles and Warden. Oh well, my mistake on that then.
    Rune_Relic wrote: »

Still baffles me how DC can't hold a blood port... >_> A RESOURCE THAT ISN'T BLUE?! MUST TAKEEEEEE.

No, they tried to run with it and got stomped all five times. :disappointed:
    Edited by serenenightmare on October 30, 2014 3:49PM
    v14 Sorcerer: Aerendyl Merith
    Former Empress of Volendrung, first cycle.
    Former Empress of Thornblade, fourth cycle.
    v14 Templar: Aeren-chan
    v1 Dragonknight: Aelrindel Merith
    v1 Nightblade: Arendelle Merith
    No Mercy.
    Aeren Cartel, Best Drugs North America
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Is that how you call it in the US? We call it "suicide travel", for whatever reason.
    EU | PC | AD
  • Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Is that how you call it in the US? We call it "suicide travel", for whatever reason.

Official name is: Malrog's Den.. because his 'Est'y friends are always hanging around ours ;)
    @Solar_Breeze
    NA ~ Izanerys: Dracarys (Videos | Dracast Podcast)
    EU ~ Izanagi: Roleplay Circle (AOE Rats/ Zerg Squad / Banana Squad)
  • Manoekin
    Manoekin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Blood for the Blood God.

Hmm, must have missed it. I just remember holding Glade while AD had Rayles and Warden. Oh well, my mistake on that then.

Still baffles me how DC can't hold a blood port... >_> A RESOURCE THAT ISN'T BLUE?! MUST TAKEEEEEE.

No, they tried to run with it and got stomped all five times. :disappointed:

Severe disappointment twice in one response :(