The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

what is the point of scattershot catapults?

Hypertionb14_ESO
Hypertionb14_ESO
✭✭✭✭✭
they seem to have like a slightly bigger aoe.... but they do so little damage that even hitting a player dead on has so little of a effect that they can regenerate with just basic Health Regeneration...

200 damage on those Seige Weapons.... they really need to deal at least 500

the only one i ever bought ended up finally getting used up by repeatedly shooting at a guy who very quickly realized he could just stand there dancing and never actually be in danger because his HP was back to full before the next attack even launched...
Edited by Hypertionb14_ESO on October 30, 2014 5:28AM
I play every class in every situation. I love them all.
  • Karamis_Vimardon
    Karamis_Vimardon
    ✭✭✭✭
    They are good for identifying PvPers that are either new or terrible. That is all.
    PC NA

Karamis Vimardon, DC Templar (Magplar)
    Netara, DC Nightblade (Stamblade)
    Karamis, DC Sorc (Magicka)
    Hãderus, EP Templar (Healbot)
    Mr Twinkle-Toes, DC DK (Tank)

game
    noun: game;
    plural noun: games
    1. a form of competitive activity or sport played according to rules.
    2. an activity that one engages in for amusement.
  • JaJaLuka
    JaJaLuka
    ✭✭✭✭
    lol

they can break stealth. apart from that > useless
    Krojick, DC Sorc PC NA
    Milámber, EP Sorc PC NA
    Brunack, EP DK PC NA
    General Mark Shephard, EP Temp PC NA (Worst temp NA XD )
    Krojick Nightblade, DC NB PC NA
    Others...
  • Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The scattershot is ZOS' anti zerg siege weapon if you fire 20 at once onto a group of stacked players this will 1 shot them. It's quite a powerful tool in the right hands.
    @Solar_Breeze
    NA ~ Izanerys: Dracarys (Videos | Dracast Podcast)
    EU ~ Izanagi: Roleplay Circle (AOE Rats/ Zerg Squad / Banana Squad)
  • Ezareth
    Ezareth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You set one of them up for *that guy* who never brings siege and is always happy to take yours.
    Permanently banned from the forums for displaying dissent: ESO - The Year Behind
    Too Much Bolt Escape - banned for "hacking the game to create movement not otherwise permitted by in game mechanics."
    Ezareth VR16 AD Sorc - Rank 36 - Axe NA
    Ezareth-Ali VR16 DC NB - Rank 20 - Chillrend NA
    Ezareth PvP on Youtube
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The scattershot is ZOS' anti zerg siege weapon if you fire 20 at once onto a group of stacked players this will 1 shot them. It's quite a powerful tool in the right hands.

This is sarcasm, right?

Please don't tell me ZOS thinks it's feasible to have 20 of these things shooting at one thing...
    August Palatine Davadin Bloodstrake - Nord Dragon Knight - PC NA - Gray Host
    Greymoor 6.0.7 PvP : Medium 2H/SnB The Destroyer
    Dragonhold 5.2.11 PvE : Medium DW/2H The Blood Furnace
    March 2021 (too lazy to add CP) PvP: Medium DW/Bow The Stabber
  • JamilaRaj
    JamilaRaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As said above, apart from un-stealthing sneaky ninjas it is useless.

Regarding damage to players, all siege weapons should be boosted a bit to keep up with increased character levels and softcaps (last but not least on regen). Save for oil I see very few people dying to siege weapons.
  • Lord_Draevan
    Lord_Draevan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are they really that bad? Personally I only use regular and firebolt ballistaes plus the occasional meatbag catapult.
    I'm a man of few words. Any questions?
    NA/PC server
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JamilaRaj wrote: »
    As said above, apart from un-stealthing sneaky ninjas it is useless.

Regarding damage to players, all siege weapons should be boosted a bit to keep up with increased character levels and softcaps (last but not least on regen). Save for oil I see very few people dying to siege weapons.

I kill alot with meatbags (disease) and oil catapults, and hurts a lot with fire ballistas. And i also die alot by fire trebuchet/ballistas (i'm a vamp)..

Other than those, yes, please boost the damage.
    August Palatine Davadin Bloodstrake - Nord Dragon Knight - PC NA - Gray Host
    Greymoor 6.0.7 PvP : Medium 2H/SnB The Destroyer
    Dragonhold 5.2.11 PvE : Medium DW/2H The Blood Furnace
    March 2021 (too lazy to add CP) PvP: Medium DW/Bow The Stabber
  • Agrippa_Invisus
    Agrippa_Invisus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Meatbags kill through their debuff. Fire siege kills through tons of people being vamps (trust me, it's not that strong at all vs a human).

Oil cats are great due to the snare.
    Agrippa Invisus / Indominus / Inprimis / Inviolatus
    DragonKnight / Templar / Warden / Sorcerer - Vagabond
    Once a General, now a Citizen
    Former Emperor of Bloodthorn and Vivec
    For Sweetrolls! FOR FIMIAN!
  • Armitas
    Armitas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's helpful for when you are trying to decide which sieger you want to kill. "Hmm now who do I want to pounce.......That guy!"
    Retired.
    Nord mDK
  • Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Armitas wrote: »
    It's helpful for when you are trying to decide which sieger you want to kill. "Hmm now who do I want to pounce.......That guy!"

You know you can kill them afterwards because they are laughing about the siege and can't press any buttons :D
    @Solar_Breeze
    NA ~ Izanerys: Dracarys (Videos | Dracast Podcast)
    EU ~ Izanagi: Roleplay Circle (AOE Rats/ Zerg Squad / Banana Squad)
  • serenenightmare
    serenenightmare
    ✭✭✭
    You set one of them up for *that guy* who never brings siege and is always happy to take yours.

@ezareth_ESO -senpai's seige! MUST TAKE! HE TOUCHED IT! IT WAS IN HIS INVENTORY!

tumblr_mcvbu0Jqmn1rx18s9.gif

:p
    Edited by serenenightmare on October 30, 2014 4:17PM
    v14 Sorcerer: Aerendyl Merith
    Former Empress of Volendrung, first cycle.
    Former Empress of Thornblade, fourth cycle.
    v14 Templar: Aeren-chan
    v1 Dragonknight: Aelrindel Merith
    v1 Nightblade: Arendelle Merith
    No Mercy.
    Aeren Cartel, Best Drugs North America
  • CoolsHisHands
    CoolsHisHands
    ✭✭✭
    Scattershot should cause disorient. Then it would be used a lot more. Right now if you're trying to turn a zerg, the most useful catapults are, in order: Meatbag, Oil catapult, playing /lute, Scattershot.

The main usefulness of scattershot was, I assume, supposed to be revealing stealthed enemies, but caltrops does this job much more efficiently and accurately.
    Vokundein
    Cools-His-Hands - Argonian Extraordinaire - Legend Gaming Webmaster
    www.legend-gaming.net
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Two best sieges are meatbag and the normal ballista in most cases as they are good at both defending and attacking. Meatbags are best against player clusters. I've killed so many both as an attacker and a defender firing into breaches and onto flags. Regular ballista does decent damage against gates and walls, and will especially chew through enemy seige weapons.

Stone trebs are great for walls, and while not as fast as a ballista, can arc over things. Fire balistas are the poor man's regular ballista, literally, doing less damage up front, but better versus players. You'll want to use it, and the fire treb for those on a wall, to attack the siege operator.

The snare siege, lightning balista and oil catapult, are good when used in addition to other sieges versus mobile groups. There is also the ice treb, but a bit slow to use against those enemies.

That just leaves the scatter catapult. I used to use these a lot early on, until players started reaching the cap and it just wasn't doing enough damage. It has a wider AoE, but hunting stealthed enemies a fire or snare siege is going to be better because of the added effects. You would need to coordinate the use of multiple scatter shot along with other siege weapons to get much use out of them now.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • Hypertionb14_ESO
    Hypertionb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    driosketch wrote: »
    Two best sieges are meatbag and the normal ballista in most cases as they are good at both defending and attacking. Meatbags are best against player clusters. I've killed so many both as an attacker and a defender firing into breaches and onto flags. Regular ballista does decent damage against gates and walls, and will especially chew through enemy seige weapons.

Stone trebs are great for walls, and while not as fast as a ballista, can arc over things. Fire balistas are the poor man's regular ballista, literally, doing less damage up front, but better versus players. You'll want to use it, and the fire treb for those on a wall, to attack the siege operator.

The snare siege, lightning balista and oil catapult, are good when used in addition to other sieges versus mobile groups. There is also the ice treb, but a bit slow to use against those enemies.

That just leaves the scatter catapult. I used to use these a lot early on, until players started reaching the cap and it just wasn't doing enough damage. It has a wider AoE, but hunting stealthed enemies a fire or snare siege is going to be better because of the added effects. You would need to coordinate the use of multiple scatter shot along with other siege weapons to get much use out of them now.

useful ones as i have seen,

Stone Trebs(stone treb is key to hitting the inner walls when the outer is still up)

Basic/Fire Ballista (basic is the fastest way to damage walls, fire is possibly the best counter seige due to high damage vs enemy seige and DOT on the operators)

Oil/Meatbag Catapults (oil is a fast firing wide area snare, Meatbag does great player damage instantly and dot is strong and the heal debuf alone can kill)

Flaming Oil (even after the nerf this will see its uses from the top of walls. its too powerful vs players who have been funneled to not use)

the less useful ones and their reasons....

Fire/Ice Trebs (Fire is nice for hitting defenders on a wall but useless for hitting walls themselves or enemy seige. it hits players REALLY hard tho, Ice moves WAY too slow for the snare to EVER be useful)

Lightning Ballista (black sheep but still situationally useful. the snare is as good as Oil Pults but the AOE is smaller.. it might actually be the most miss understood seige out there)

Scatter Shot Catapults (Wide range but the damage is so low it will never actually be useful... players can stand under fire from one of these and will never die. most players have faster health regeneration than a scattershot can put out)

• Manoekin
    Manoekin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Scatter shot should have a fraction of a second stun or something. It's really the most useless.

Also while we're talking siege I'm gonna call out ZOS and ask why Mixing fire and ice siege on a keep wall doesn't tear up the walls faster. Again why can't I mix oil cats and fire siege for an extra effect like lighting the ground and people hit by it on fire. You're really starting to ruin my immershun,
  • demonlkojipub19_ESO
    demonlkojipub19_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Davadin wrote: »

This is sarcasm, right?

Please don't tell me ZOS thinks it's feasible to have 20 of these things shooting at one thing...

That and the siege limit is 20. Not to mention getting 20 next to each other while being able to also fire on 1 spot is impossible due to the minimum spacing needed between each large siege weapon. Its not going to happen.

The things some people try to rationalize ey? Scattershot catapults are worthless.
    Edited by demonlkojipub19_ESO on October 31, 2014 11:31PM
  • Ezareth
    Ezareth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

@ezareth_ESO -senpai's seige! MUST TAKE! HE TOUCHED IT! IT WAS IN HIS INVENTORY!

@serenenightmare‌

I can't be the only person to be frustrated when setting up a double ballista to take down a postern that some lowbie inevitably hops on one and starts firing at players with it /=

Do those guys only exist for AD? ) =
    Permanently banned from the forums for displaying dissent: ESO - The Year Behind
    Too Much Bolt Escape - banned for "hacking the game to create movement not otherwise permitted by in game mechanics."
    Ezareth PvP on Youtube
  • Psilent
    Psilent
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@serenenightmare‌

I can't be the only person to be frustrated when setting up a double ballista to take down a postern that some lowbie inevitably hops on one and starts firing at players with it /=

They exist on EP side too, but usually when someone hops on my other ballista, they shoot the wall.

• Hypertionb14_ESO
    Hypertionb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Psilent wrote: »

@serenenightmare‌

They exist on EP side too, but usually when someone hops on my other ballista, they shoot the wall.

They Exist on all sides.. kind of the nature of lowbies to go "OOH FREE SEIGE! I GOING TO PWN SOME PEEPS" and wiff each shot..

i usually only set up one to avoid it but i have no problem with people using any extra seige i set up to burn a keep.. i have actually managed 4 active at once because pugs started picking them up..
  • Ezareth
    Ezareth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Psilent wrote: »

@serenenightmare‌

They Exist on all sides.. kind of the nature of lowbies to go "OOH FREE SEIGE! I GOING TO PWN SOME PEEPS" and wiff each shot..

i usually only set up one to avoid it but i have no problem with people using any extra seige i set up to burn a keep.. i have actually managed 4 active at once because pugs started picking them up..

Yeah I dont mind as much if they hit the walls, but they did it constantly to me when I was emp and I didn't want to be an ass and start insulting them but having to constantly explain "please get off my siege, I do double damage as emp and you're only slowing the siege down" get's old.

Ezareth PvP on Youtube
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sometimes they shoot at the door ;)
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Miralys, EP Magsorc, AR 34
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 34
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
  • Rylana
    Rylana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vice has started making a point to put oils up against the walls of keeps and dump them as a joke whenever we see someone shooting a fire ballista at one, or some other kind of worthless siege.

Sometimes we even run a ram around acting like noobs, just because we want to fit in.
    @rylanadionysis == Closed Beta Tester October 2013 == Retired October 2016 == Uninstalled @ One Tamriel Release == Inactive Indefinitely
    Ebonheart Pact: Lyzara Dionysis - Sorc - AR 37 (Former Empress of Blackwater Blade and Haderus) == Shondra Dionysis - Temp - AR 23 == Arrianaya Dionysis - DK - AR 17
    Aldmeri Dominion: Rylana Dionysis - DK - AR 25 == Kailiana - NB - AR 21 == Minerva Dionysis - Temp - AR 21 == Victoria Dionysis - Sorc - AR 13
    Daggerfall Covenant: Dannika Dionysis - DK - AR 21 == The Catman Rises - Temp - AR 15 (Former Emperor of Blackwater Blade)
    Forum LOL Champion (retired) == Black Belt in Ballista-Fu == The Last Vice Member == Praise Cheesus == Electro-Goblin
  • Ezareth
    Ezareth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've seen many a Ram put up at a postern door during my days in Cyrodiil

/shakes head
    Ezareth PvP on Youtube
  • frozywozy
    frozywozy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

ILU!

I copy/paste this text when someone does it since a good while now lol :

"When you see a siege not being used, that doesn't mean someone let it there free to use, that mean someone is either using 2 at the same time, typing or defending himself. please don't be selfish and use it, buy your own, thank you."
    Edited by frozywozy on November 3, 2014 3:47PM
    Frozn - Stamdk - AR50
    Frosted - Magplar - AR50
    Frodn - Magden - AR50
    Warmed - Magblade - AR50
    Mmfrozy - Magsorc - AR44
    Necrozn - Magcro - AR32
    Twitch.TV/FrozyTV
    PvP Group Builds

“Small minds discuss people, average minds discuss events, and great minds discuss ideas.” -Eleanor Roosevelt
    • Fix Volendrung (spawn location - weapon white on the map causing the wielder to keep it forever - usable with emperorship)
    • Remove / Change CPs System, remove current CP/noCP campaigns and introduce one 30days with lock, one with no locks
    • Fix crashes when approaching a keep under attack because of bad / wrong rendering prioritization system
    • Change emperorship to value faction score points and not alliance points - see this and this
    • Fix long loading screens (mostly caused by players joining group out of rendering range)
    • Add 2 more quickslots to the wheel or add a different wheel for sieges weaponry only
    • Fix Balista Bolts not dealing damage on walls or doors if deployed at a certain place
    • Release bigger battlegrounds with 8 to 16 players per team and only two teams
    • Fix the permanent block animation - see examples : link1 link2 link3 link4 link5
    • Gives players 10 minutes to get back into Cyrodiil after relogging / crashing
    • Add a function to ignore the Claiming system of useless rewards
    • Improve the Mailing System / Rewards of the Worthy stacking
    • Assign specific group sizes to specific campaigns (24-16-8)
    • Make forward camps impossible to place near objectives
    • Make snares only available from ground effects abilities
    • Change emperorship to last minimum 24hours
    • Fix body sliding after cc breaking too quickly
    • Remove Block Casting through Battle Spirit
    • Fix the speed drop while jumping - see video
    • Fix loading screens when keeps upgrade
    • Fix Rams going crazy (spinning around)
    • Bring back dynamic ulti regeneration
    • Fix speed bug (abilities locked)
    • Introduce dynamic population
    • Lower population cap by 20%
    • Add Snare Immunity potions
    • Bring resurrection sickness
    • Fix character desync
    • Fix cc breaking bug
    • Fix gap closer bug
    • Fix health desync
    • Fix combat bug
    • Fix streak bug