The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

report on game performance of new 5K retina iMac

Windshadow_ESO
Windshadow_ESO
✭✭✭
my new computer just got here and i am downloading a fresh copy of the game and once i have it running i will report here in this thread or it performs at various resolutions.
i also have the option of plugging in a 1920x1200 monitor and turnig off the builtin 5k if needed here are the specs of the new computer

Model: iMac15,1, BootROM IM151.0207.B00, 4 processors, Intel Core i7, 4 GHz, 16 GB, SMC 2.23f11
Graphics: AMD Radeon R9 M295X, AMD Radeon R9 M295X, PCIe, 4096 MB
Memory Module: BANK 0/DIMM0, 8 GB, DDR3, 1600 MHz, 0x80AD, 0x484D54343147533641465238412D50422020
Memory Module: BANK 1/DIMM0, 8 GB, DDR3, 1600 MHz, 0x80AD, 0x484D54343147533641465238412D50422020
AirPort: spairport_wireless_card_type_airport_extreme (0x14E4, 0x142), Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (7.15.124.12.8)
Bluetooth: Version 4.3.0f10 14890, 3 services, 27 devices, 1 incoming serial ports
Network Service: Ethernet, Ethernet, en0
Network Service: Wi-Fi, AirPort, en1
PCI Card: pci11c1,5901, IEEE 1394 Open HCI, Thunderbolt@195,0,0
Serial ATA Device: APPLE SSD SD0128F, 121.33 GB
Serial ATA Device: APPLE HDD ST3000DM001, 3 TB
USB Device: BRCM20702 Hub
USB Device: Bluetooth USB Host Controller
USB Device: FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in)
USB Device: Razer Naga
USB Device: DT 101 G2
USB Device: USB 2.0 Hub
FireWire Device: d2 quadra (button), LaCie, Up to 800 Mb/sec
Thunderbolt Bus: iMac, Apple Inc., 26.1
Thunderbolt Device: Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter, Apple Inc., 1, 5.6
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Oh, well, read first, then post... ;)

I assume you can download the game with the Launcher.app I posted earlier, right? ^_^

I'm interested in your report on performance, too. Especially if the game lets you choose the native retina resolution, or "just" 2560x1440, since it shouldn't be HiDPI-aware. Just remember that with a retina solution, the need for any kind of anti-aliasing should be nonexistent. ;)
    Edited by KhajitFurTrader on October 24, 2014 9:43PM
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    [Moderator Note: Edited per our rules on Spamming]
    Edited by ZOS_MichelleA on October 24, 2014 11:41PM
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• Windshadow_ESO
    Windshadow_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    just a short report so far i set everything to max there is no resolution selection available just windowed or windowed fullscreen is there an in game command i can use to see what it is running at? my guess is 2560x1440 as everything is very smooth with no glitching of stuttering i am not running any add ons yet as want to see what it like as issued. it all looks stunning though...the partical effects the water the everything is amazing
    this is a max configured iMac 5K except i have not yet upped the ram from 16 to 32 GB and i have no idea if the game can use the burst mode that takes the processor up a notch from its normal 4ghz

I had to run with most stuff low or off on my antique mac pro from 2006 at 1920x1200
    entering and leaving buildings etc is almost instant now also
    i have to go look up the fps command as i have forgotten it as well

i can be more through this weekend but i am amazed at how much of the game I have forgotten since June... i was very active in this forum the first half of the year But the the antique computer died and playing on a laptop just did not work for me i was actually saving up for a new mac pro when they announced this 5K iMac and ordered last week it was in china sunday midnight and i had it here in rural Maine Tuesday morning the only problem so far is getting win 81 installed under boot camp as it wants the bootcamp partition to be on the internal 3tera fusion and i want it on a separate drive...

what was wrong with my post to draw the moderator?

more later over the weekend
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Regarding Boot Camp, see the FAQ here. It's not possible to install the Boot Camp partition to an external drive, and in a Fusion Drive configuration, Windows will be installed to the HDD portion of the volume group. Unless you need the native hardware support, a virtual machine solution is more flexible in this regard.

Regarding RAM, ESO is a 32 bit process, so it cannot address more than 4 GB of memory. Of course, more RAM helps with overall system performance, but 16 GB is ample if you don't want to do memory-intense work in the background.

Edited to add:
    Regarding fullscreen mode and resolution: you could try to edit ~/Documents/Elder Scrolls Online/live/UserSettings.txt (liveeu instead of live for EU megaserver; make a backup copy first before changing anything). ~ designates your home directory. Relevant entries seem to be:
    SET FULLSCREEN_v5 "2"
    SET PreferMaximizedWindow "0"
    SET FullscreenHeight "0"
    SET FullscreenWidth "0"

Note that in fullscreen mode, it seems to ignore the width and height settings, they get reset to 0 regardless of what you put in there in the game's settings. You could try and put in the native retina resolution (5120x2880) there; I can give you no guarantees about any effects.
    Edited by KhajitFurTrader on October 25, 2014 9:56AM
  • Windshadow_ESO
    Windshadow_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    just a short report i played quite a bit today and in some very crowded areas and with everything at max except particle distance i mostly had fps in the 35 to 45 range i will try turning off anti alias tomorrow... as well as cutting a few of the minor things back a bit from ultra to see what it looks like the game wanted to autoselect high btw. the only time i saw the fps drop below 30fps was when ever i was fiddling with the ui for things like the bank and inventory then it was like flipping a switch 29.x fps mostly 29.6 to 29.9 not had a chance to try your settings edit yet...
    i can not believe i have forgotten so much of how this game is played in only 5 months off