The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Patch 1.5: FaceFX delayed on OS X

KhajitFurTrader
KhajitFurTrader
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
From the PTS Patch Notes v1.5:
Improved Facial Animations
  • Goodbye sock puppet mouth, hello lip-synch! We have completed the implementation of the basic FaceFX pipeline, processed over 100,000 lines of dialogue and completed the phoneme creation for all of the races in the game. Facial animations will now synchronize with the dialogue they are speaking. There are some specific monsters that are not updated yet because they do not share the standard “human” animation rig, but these will be updated in the future.
    • Note: This feature is not supported on Windows XP or OSX at this time, but support will be added for them in a future update.
(emphasis mine)

Now, before someone gets their tail in a knot, here are two things to consider:
  • FaceFX is available on OpenGL, and it works. I've been playing the OS X version of Deus Ex 3: Human Revolution Director's Cut lately (awesome game btw, a true successor to the original DX back from 2000), which uses FaceFx, too, and it looked really great.
  • As is stated above, for every phoneme there needed to be created a fitting animation (lips, teeth, tongue) for all racial skeletons (player and NPC races). And while many, if not all, assets may be shared between platforms, Direct3D and OpenGL are still very different animals in some important aspects. My guess is that this work needs to be done again in its entirety for OpenGL, and it's a ton.
While I would sure have loved to see FaceFX coming to the OS X client with v1.5 as well, I now know that we'll get it later, and this is good enough for me.

So thank you Chris, for your continued effort, and keep up the good work! :smiley:
  • Publius_Scipio
    Publius_Scipio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Let's not get concerned with facial animation. Let's find out is it is ok to upgrades to OS X Yosemite and not affect ESO at all.
  • chris.dillman
    chris.dillman
    ✭✭✭
    FaceFX uses a lot more animation points (bones).

Adding FaceFX to OS X means rewriting the OpenGL renderer
    and all shaders to work with OpenGL 3.2.

We ran out of shader variables and thus needs to move to a more modern version of OpenGL.

We have a draft working internally, but not yet ready for release.

-- ESO -- Lead Mac Programmer...
    Staff Post
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
  • Gix
    Gix
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was half-expecting v1.6 to update the FaceFX for OSX. Do you guys have an ETA for this? first quarter 2015? 2016?

If the consoles get it before we do, I'm going to cry!
  • chris.dillman
    chris.dillman
    ✭✭✭
    Gix wrote: »
    I was half-expecting v1.6 to update the FaceFX for OSX. Do you guys have an ETA for this? first quarter 2015? 2016?

Sorry Gix

FaceFX are not on the schedule at this time.

Mac needs a new 3D renderer to support it.

Staff Post
  • SlayerSyrena
    SlayerSyrena
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gix wrote: »

Sorry Gix

FaceFX are not on the schedule at this time.

Mac needs a new 3D renderer to support it.

Wait, does this mean that Mac users will never get the updated FaceFX?
    Ebonheart Pact
    All PC/NA, Level 50 * Current Champion Points: 930
    Cyndril - Bosmer Vampire Nightblade - Dual Wield Blades and Bow
    Saryn Duskbringer - Altmer Vampire Sorcerer - Destro and Resto Staves
    Valmion Hlaalu - Dunmer Templar Healer - Resto and Destroy Staves
    Solus Lighthawke - Altmer DK Tank- Sword n' Board and Greatsword
    Stitches-for-Riches - Argonian Templar Healer- Resto
    Ashiran Zahuluu - Dunmer Stam Sorc - Dual Wield Blades and Bow
    Aldmeri Dominion
    Kivian Nightshade - Altmer Magicka NB - Destro/Resto Staves
    Daggerfall Covenant
    S'rala Sugar Claws - Khajiit Stamina Sorc - Dual Wield and Greatsword

Member of the closed early beta group, The Psijic Order
    Guest on first ESO Live
    My ESO fan art and comics
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Wait, does this mean that Mac users will never get the updated FaceFX?
    No, I take this to mean that a new renderer, based on a more recent OpenGL version, is in the works as we speak. Chris said as much in post #3 above.
  • Sentinel
    Sentinel
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just hope we can get this feature within the next few months at the very least... I feel like I'm missing out without it, you know? I RP quite a bit, like to talk to NPCs, and it's just a bit disheartening seeing the robot mouths.

At least it's in development, I'd just hope it's given some priority over the other things on their schedule as it's a feature that has still yet to be released on one platform versus another.
  • Neryuslu
    Neryuslu
    Soul Shriven

We ran out of shader variables and thus needs to move to a more modern version of OpenGL.

Hello chris.dillman,

Do you have any news on this? Also, will using a more modern version of OpenGL improve graphics performance in general?
  • chris.dillman
    chris.dillman
    ✭✭✭
    Neryuslu wrote: »

Hello chris.dillman,

Do you have any news on this? Also, will using a more modern version of OpenGL improve graphics performance in general?

Hi Neryuslu

News: Everyone is busy with bug fixes and the console launch.

We will look at PC / Mac Engine upgrades some time after consoles launch.

Moving from 1 version of opengl to another will probably not speed up the game.

There are some newer features in OpenGL 3.2 that in theory could speed tasks up.
    But it depends on where an app is spending all of its time.

ESO's OpenGL renderer is very well optimized and keeps the GPU saturated with draw calls.
    Meaning most of the time GL and the GPU are actually busy drawing things.

Most of the advancements in newer versions of OpenGL come from being able to better
    pack up and send large amounts of data / variables to the GPU.

So instead of calling a function like

glSetColor( BLUE ); ( made up call )

100 times the game might be able to call a command like

glSetData( BIG LIST OF DATA ); ( made up call )

only once.

This should have some positive effect on GL performance.

But it will probably not be huge.

Staff Post