Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Does ESO Need New/More Hairstyles?

• MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rodario wrote: »
    baratron wrote: »
    Daenerys wrote: »
    MornaBaine wrote: »
    31b43d86b530bfd499c2fcdce76425e1.jpg
    fb1da2e0b73eade3842d83ba40898819.jpg

have any more for, umm you know, science? ;)
    These pictures remind me of the fact that we don't get to choose how much chest hair to give our male characters. I mean, I know that my Imperial is "average", and my Nord is "very hairy", and my Breton has a hairless chest with just a tiny tuft on his belly, but this is not reflected in the game! When they get undressed - you know, "for science" - it's ALL WRONG.

I'm sure that other straight/bi female players and gay/bi male players feel the same way ;).

You don't have to be gay to want chest hair.

Or to NOT want it! LOL
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• wolfydog
    wolfydog
    ✭✭✭
    Every MMO could use more hairstyles.

Especially long ones.
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wolfydog wrote: »

Especially long ones.

Right? For the love of the Divines it's almost 2015 and they haven't figured out how to do this yet?????
    Edited by MornaBaine on October 10, 2014 11:28PM

• Soulshine
    Soulshine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wolfydog wrote: »

Especially long ones.

True... usually... though it depends on the hair in question, since short can be pretty danged impressive... on some ;)

Mens-Curly-Hairstyles-Medium.jpg
  • Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Generally speaking I think the character customisation options, including hair, are pretty good. So I wouldn't say there's a "need" for more.

But in general I think giving players more options is better.
  • Draconerus
    Draconerus
    ✭✭✭
    More customization is NEVER a bad thing.
    Draconerus
    Argonian - Templar Healer
    Da Funk - Officer
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Daenerys wrote: »
    so I'm rewatching Vikings and consistently impressed with Lagertha's hair. would be perfect for my nord :D

tumblr_n4jblxP8251s6bxzqo1_r1_250.png

66e1b36949b6638698cb0a085977aeb4.jpg

Vikings-Promo-Lagertha-vikings-tv-series-33876585-1000-1333.jpg

Lagertha-and-Princess-Aslaug1.jpeg
    ]

Her hair is pretty great, I must say. Does remind me a LITTLE of one of the hairstyles we already have. I REALLY want more long hairstyles. We have 2 long-ish (only to below the shoulder blades which is NOT long at all really, my own hair is past my hip) and that's just ridiculous for a medievali-ish fantasy setting. ZoS REALLY needs to up their game here.

• bellanca6561n
    bellanca6561n
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My long haired Dunmer lass is quite powerful. She has an array of skills unimaginable on this puny world of ours. Yet she cannot put her hair up or even tie it back.

I imagine a universe where your hair is a permanent decision made at birth.
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My long haired Dunmer lass is quite powerful. She has an array of skills unimaginable on this puny world of ours. Yet she cannot put her hair up or even tie it back.

Right? My HOPE is that since they are going to implement separate storage space for trophies and costumes and pets that they will ALSO allow us to buy more than one hairstyle for our characters and store the variants there as well so that any time we feel like changing things up we can.

• bellanca6561n
    bellanca6561n
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Right? My HOPE is that since they are going to implement separate storage space for trophies and costumes and pets that they will ALSO allow us to buy more than one hairstyle for our characters and store the variants there as well so that any time we feel like changing things up we can.

This.

• LadyAngel
    LadyAngel
    I wouldn't mind seeing different hairstyles for our characters.
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    146 votes for "yes we need more hairstyles" vs 8 for "what we have is sufficient." But Paul Sage still totally thinks this is something that should be done as part of a "long term" (read as, "well we have thought about it from time to time but have no real impulse to actually do anything about it") project. Certainly not anything we should have within the first year of the game. SIGH

• ZigoSid
    ZigoSid
    ✭✭✭✭
    More choice is always better. But not necessarily required.
  • SteveCampsOut
    SteveCampsOut
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well it's fairly obvious to me that none of you have done ANY 3D Graphic modeling and design for animation. Hair is one of the nastiest pieces of work to achieve realistic movement from if it's longer than shoulder length! It has to interact with multiple body parts as well as clothing and accessories and is a collision detection NIGHTMARE! Yeah, I'd love to see more hair and I voted Yes, but seriously. Don't EVEN demand long flowing curls if you don't want the programers to commit Hari Kari!

Signed - Ex-3D Graphic Modeler and Designer for Poser and DAZ Studio.
    @ֆȶɛʋɛƈǟʍքֆօʊȶ ʀʋʟɨʄɛ⍟
    Sanguine & Psijic Group Beta Tester.
    Steve's Craftiness Find out what I can make for you at my Google Doc Spreadsheet.
    Pacrooti's Hirelings Website:
    pacrootis.enjin.com/

NA Server:
    Steforax Soulstrong CH782 Sorcerer AD
    Grumpy Kahjiti CH782 Dragonknight AD
    Rheticia Le Drakisius CH782 Nightblade DC
    Razmuzan Thrasmas CH782 Templar EP
    Sheenara Soulstrong CH782 Dragonknight DC
    Erik Ramzey CH782 Nightblade AD
    Growling Kahjiti CH782 Nightblade EP
    One of Many Faces CH782 Sorcerer DC
    Grumpasaurus Rex CH782 Warden DC
    EU Server:
    Guildmaster of Pacrooti's Hirelings AD Based LGBT Friendly Guild.
    Stefrex Souliss CH701 Sorcerer AD
    Grumpy Kahjiti CH701 Dragonknight DC
    Slithisi Ksissi CH701 Nightblade EP
    Pokes-With-Fire CH701 Dragonknight AD
    Josie-The-Pussi-Cat CH701 Templar AD
    Stug-Grog M'God CH701 Templar DC
    One With Many Faces CH701 Nightblade DC
    Trixie Truskan CH701 Sorcerer EP
    Grumpetasaurus Rex CH701 Warden EP
    ESO Plus status: Canceled!
  • yiasemi
    yiasemi
    ✭✭✭✭
    We need afros, I mean apart from Redguards getting funky, Bosmer would be able to hide as small shrubbery and Khajiits could be mistaken for legendary Colombian footballers,
  • Digiman
    Digiman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    More facial hair like those released in skyrim aswell.
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well it's fairly obvious to me that none of you have done ANY 3D Graphic modeling and design for animation. Hair is one of the nastiest pieces of work to achieve realistic movement from if it's longer than shoulder length! It has to interact with multiple body parts as well as clothing and accessories and is a collision detection NIGHTMARE! Yeah, I'd love to see more hair and I voted Yes, but seriously. Don't EVEN demand long flowing curls if you don't want the programers to commit Hari Kari!

Signed - Ex-3D Graphic Modeler and Designer for Poser and DAZ Studio.

I'm not asking for hair longer that the longest styles that are currently available. I just want a reasonable amount of variation which, at present, we really don't have. And I also realize that hair will probably have to remain down the back and that we will not be able to have pretty tendrils over our shoulders. But the pictures I and others have shown are more for inspiration, for general shapes of hairstyles within the constraints of what is possible with the current level of tenchnology.

• Maruphas
    Maruphas
    Soul Shriven
    Want more short hairstyles.
  • Roechacca
    Roechacca
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yea we got the dress but no stylist .

princessVespasStuntDouble.png
  • Aerieth
    Aerieth
    ✭✭✭
    I just wish the current hairstyles were a bit more realistic looking. They look like plastic when they... try to move.
    @Aerieth - PC EU Megaserver
    Ilatria Shadowcore - Lv 50 Nord Vampire Nightblade - Tank / Stam DPS - Daggerfall Covenant
    Maiine Shadowcore - Lv 50 Breton Vampire Nightblade - Magicka DPS - Daggerfall Covenant
    Aerieth Shadowcore - Lv 50 Imperial Vampire Nightblade - Healer - Daggerfall Covenant
    From patch notes long forgotten:
    "Fixed an issue if you had a summoned pet, it could potentially be grabbed by an invisible Molag-Bal and get stuck in a floating posture."
    "Dogs can no longer teleport while chasing cats (much to the disappointment of the dogs)."
  • bloodenragedb14_ESO
    bloodenragedb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    not just hairstyles, BETTER BEARDS. the fact that the moustache and goatee combo doesnt connects drives me insane
  • CodexMMO
    CodexMMO
    ✭✭✭
    Sweetroll "Cinnabon" style.

NSv6eus.png
  • Sacadon
    Sacadon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes plus better hair physx and collision. But in PvP, just want a lag free experience.
  • Moonscythe
    Moonscythe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soft, flowing long hair that doesn't clip ears or staff or anything else. Also more hair around the face to soften the outline.
    Scura di Notte - Altmer Nightblade (gear)
    Lalin del Sombra - Bosmer Sorcerer (alchemy/enchanting)
    Angevin Sarkany - Bosmer Dragonknight
    Alkemene Velothi - Dunmer Warden (Morrowind)
    Sanna yos'Phalen - Altmer Sorcerer (provisioning)
    Cosima di Mattina -Altmer Sorcerer
    Naria Andrano - Dunmer Templar
    Luca della Serata - Redguard Templar
  • SanderBuraas
    SanderBuraas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely need more cosmetic options. These can also be added continuously as a barber will most likely be added in the future.
  • Seraphyel
    Seraphyel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    More? Yes.

But the worst part about haircuts is that nearly every race uses the same haircuts. That's just bad.
  • bellanca6561n
    bellanca6561n
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was thinking on this and the fact that we really don't have hair in this game. We have hats that resemble hair styles.

To have hair means the wind affects it, strands come loose, long hair flows behind you when you ride or run.

This is a bigger issue in Asian games where customers really get into hair behaving like hair. But many Asian developers have what we'd call sweatshops full of artists - thousands at work at some studios at one time - creating the complex, articulated meshes you need for authentic looking hair, flowing gowns, capes and such.

This creates other problems too, such as performance as you have to not only render and animate your hair but everybody's hair and have code in place to NOT DO THAT depending on distance and the number of non player characters and player characters in a given area.

So I concluded that far more important things sit ahead of such notions in the development queue.

But, hey, every day in ESO is a good hair day.
  • Tarrin
    Tarrin
    ✭✭✭
    More with the google "medieval hair styles", but only female. Nothing for men :'(

4e92d328cf80677ae3b5e885eee02b1d.jpg

ba98a2a84b0a8731c75b0ee6fc99e021.jpg
    199927a616f7296774d231f81728d0ba.jpg
    Edited by Tarrin on March 22, 2015 12:13PM
    Samurai without a sword
    Like a samurai with the sword
    But without the sword
  • bellanca6561n
    bellanca6561n
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tarrin wrote: »
    More with the google "medieval hair styles", but only female. Nothing for men :'(

4e92d328cf80677ae3b5e885eee02b1d.jpg

ba98a2a84b0a8731c75b0ee6fc99e021.jpg
    199927a616f7296774d231f81728d0ba.jpg

Gorgeous!

Plus these could be added with a FAR lower level of complication than I rambled on about in my previous post.

And when we get hairstyles that work like costumes these could be the breathtaking finishing touches on your attending the gala outfits.

Edited by bellanca6561n on March 22, 2015 12:26PM
  • Demeos
    Demeos
    ✭✭✭
    I say we already have enough hair styles as is. However I would like better, more natural movement animations on them.

I find it amazing that the ability of game designers to make more realistic skin and faces has come along, and yet hair seems to be the one aspect that is still stuck back in the 1990's. Not that they haven't tried mind you, but I don't think replicating the math needed for hair physics is the answer as it would just require far too much processing power and that would be multiplied by having hundreds of players on screen having their own hair physics being processed.

I think something along the lines of pre-rendered hair motions would be a more realistic approach.
    Edited by Demeos on March 22, 2015 12:29PM