Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Level Cap Increases Are Cheap

skeletorz_ESO
skeletorz_ESO
✭✭✭
This game hasn't even been out for a year so far and it has already had the level cap increased twice. STOP INCREASING THE LEVEL CAP.

You don't have to increase the level cap just to release new sets of gear.

I can't get to the cap with even one character, much less the main and two other alts that I want to play because you keep raising it before I get there.

There are some people who play this game that don't exploit their way to max level as fast as they possibly can, ya know. Came back from a couple months break to see how things were going. Not looking like I'm going to renew at the end of the month, and I doubt I'll be back at all this time.

[Moderator Note: Edited per our rules on Cursing & Profanity]
Edited by ZOS_ShannonM on September 30, 2014 5:28PM
“If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things.” -- René Descartes
  • Soloeus
    Soloeus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You aren't a Professional MMO athlete looking to stay at max level doing group-only content at an advanced level for military strategists on teamspeak?

Then you aren't the audience, bye.

Within; Without.
  • heyguyslol
    heyguyslol
    ✭✭✭
    This game hasn't even been out for a year so far and it has already had the level cap increased twice. STOP INCREASING THE LEVEL CAP.

You don't have to increase the level cap just to release new sets of gear.

I can't get to the cap with even one character, much less the main and two other alts that I want to play because you keep raising it before I get there.

There are some people who play this game that don't exploit their way to max level as fast as they possibly can, ya know. Came back from a couple months break to see how things were going. Not looking like I'm going to renew at the end of the month, and I doubt I'll be back at all this time.

There is no point to complaining about the obvious as 90% of the players who come to these forums are pve/zos fanbois. But I agree with you 110%.

[Moderator Note: Edited quote to match moderated version]
    Edited by ZOS_ShannonM on September 30, 2014 5:32PM
    @heyguyslol

http://twitch.tv/heyguyslol_1975
  • Welka
    Welka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In b4 lock
  • TehMagnus
    TehMagnus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Don't see the problem, if you're a casual player, it means you have even more content to clear before getting to max level. If you're a raider then it means you have something new to aim for in order to get slightly better stats and better gear.

If you still haven't reached level cap after 6 months, you'll never manage to play competitively anyways (in this MMORPG or any other) so just enjoy the game at your pace, reaching level cap won't change a thing regarding what you can and can't do in any case.
    Edited by TehMagnus on September 30, 2014 3:52PM
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cheap shot threads are even cheaper.
  • skeletorz_ESO
    skeletorz_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    magnusnet wrote: »
    Don't see the problem, if you're a casual player, it means you have even more content to clear before getting to max level. If you're a raider then it means you have something new to aim for in order to get slightly better stats and better gear.

If you still haven't reached level cap after 6 months, you'll never manage to play competitively anyways (in this MMORPG or any other) so just enjoy the game at your pace, reaching level cap won't change a thing regarding what you can and can't do in any case.

The problem is they keep increasing the cap. I WOULD be at the cap and WOULD be competing if they hadn't increased the cap. You understand how this works, right?
    “If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things.” -- René Descartes
  • Jennifur_Vultee
    Jennifur_Vultee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok so let me get this straight. You're complaining you have more content to do rather than sitting at the max cap with nothing but PVP? I was at the max cap on the last MMO I played stuck at lvl 29 and lvl 39 both for six months both times before new cap raises and for me having nothing to do but PVP and run the same two dungeons over and over in the hope that I'd get that .001% unique gear drop got old fast. Personally I'm happy Zenimax is giving us new content and level caps regularly. But then I'm not trying to race my way to the max level to twiddle my thumbs and complain how PVP is boring because I burned through everything else.
    Edited by Jennifur_Vultee on September 30, 2014 3:58PM
    "Whoever is careless with the truth in small matters cannot be trusted with important matters." – Albert Einstein

Treat a customer fairly and they will remember you. Treat a customer poorly and they never forget.

Imperial City: Zerg, gank or die.
  • jambam817_ESO
    jambam817_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Funny thing is though, I have JUST reached VR9, been playing since release, reached VR2 on another character before the current one. Played through all the alliances.
    The reason it has taken me so long is because I see no incentive to be a "MMO Athlete" in this game. The gear stays the same, the stats stay the same with minor increase, I craft the same set everytime i upgrade my armor level.

What is there to compete for? A gold piece of armor that has +5 more to magika than the purple version? Meh. I really would like to reach max VR but at this time, there needs to be more of a reason to.

Sub is canceled, have to mid November, will play a bit till then and see if anything grabs my attention again.

• skeletorz_ESO
    skeletorz_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Ok so let me get this straight. You're complaining you have more content to do rather than sitting at the max cap with nothing but PVP? I was at the max cap on the last MMO I played stuck at lvl 29 and lvl 39 both for six months both times before new cap raises and for me having nothing to do but PVP and run the same two dungeons over and over in the hope that I'd get that .001% unique gear drop got old fast. Personally I'm happy Zenimax is giving us new content and level caps regularly. But then I'm not trying to race my way to the max level to twiddle my thumbs and complain how PVP is boring because I burned through everything else.

No. You do not have to increase the level cap to release new content.
    Edited by skeletorz_ESO on September 30, 2014 4:07PM
  • TehMagnus
    TehMagnus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

The problem is they keep increasing the cap. I WOULD be at the cap and WOULD be competing if they hadn't increased the cap. You understand how this works, right?

Once again, you wouldn't be competing. If you don't even have time to reach level cap, you def don't have time to compete.

People that are competing and actually clearing things (many are competing but never managing to achieve anything) have 30 - 50 and more played days on their main characters, they spent hours, days learning how to play perfectly, looking for mats, leveling alts for the hirelings, getting all their gear to legendary and so on. They where VR10 less than 2-3 weeks after the game came out (for some it took a couple of days) and VR12 or VR14 the same day the level cap was increased.

If you enjoy leveling slowly, you shouldn't worry about level cap. If you really want to compete, time to grind to VR14 and get invested in the game :).
    Edited by TehMagnus on September 30, 2014 4:13PM
  • reften
    reften
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sympathize with the OP. as a father of two, working a full-time job, I played ESO to get the awesome PvP experience.

that PvP experience would suck unless I was competitive with other players.

Most other players in PvP are V12-14 right now.

So, I just flew through the PvE as fast as possible (within reason, did not do any "grinding" in Crag till V9.8) just so I could PvP.

But to do it, it was some late nights, about 4 or 5 PTO days specially taken to level, and most recently some insanely boring Friday nights grinding in Crag....

I'm guessing for those casual gamers who want to enjoy the PvE experience a bit more...will level slower than me (I didn't listen to any dialog, or read a book, so shoot me)....but I could easily see myself just hitting level 50 had I spent more time enjoying the PvE.

But for me, PvE is Skyrim, I play ESO for PvP
    Edited by reften on September 30, 2014 4:20PM
    Reften
    Bosmer (Wood Elf)
    Moonlight Crew (RIP), Misfitz (RIP), Victorem Guild

VR16 NB, Stam build, Max all crafts.

Azuras & Trueflame. Mostly PvP, No alts.

Semi-retired till the lag is fixed.

Love the Packers, Bourbon, and ESO...one of those will eventually kill me.
  • Inversus
    Inversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only real solution is wait for champion points
    and then keep waiting
    and then continue waiting
    etc
    VR14 EH Sorc
    VR1 AD NB Crafter
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Inversus wrote: »
    and then keep waiting
    etc

Nah, the only real solution is to relax.

If you aren't at the top, then you probably don't have the time to stay at the top. If you have the time, then it's just a matter of plugging away.

Either way, you need to relax about the whole situation.
    But don't Chillax, coz that's just lame.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • dgoss11b14_ESO
    Dunno if i'm the only one, but I don't mind lvl cap increases. Hell, increase it to VR50.
  • Lukati_K
    Lukati_K
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer the level cap increases. Almost every leveling-involved game I've played, I get to the cap before I finish the content, and start to wonder why I'm going to continue to play through the content if my character can't advance anymore.
  • Jennifur_Vultee
    Jennifur_Vultee
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No. You do not have to increase the level cap to release new content.

This is where we differ, it doesn't mean either of us is right or wrong, we simply have different opinions.

To me sitting at the max cap level for six months was stale, stagnant and felt like I was spinning my wheels getting nowhere...no level advance, no skills advanced. We did get new content, two new PVP battlegrounds were added, one nightly and one on Saturday. Sure the new stuff was fun at first until one side or the other came to dominate it and the big guild ruled it with an iron fist...not part of their guild and captured a flag in the Saturday battle? Good luck making it back to our side, planting it and getting the buff it provided for planting a flag. The big guild would stepped back and let the opposing faction kill you so one of their people could get the flag and the buff.

People will complain either way because people have different play styles and preferences...

Group A wants new content and to be top on the gear food chain dominating PVP at all costs with no level cap raises for six months to a year. Group A is happy to sit and play PVP with no new level cap.

Group B will complain if there's no new content or cap raises because they feel stuck, once fun PVP gets old once you're stuck in it for months on end. Group B calls for cap raises and new content.

Group C wants no new content or level cap till "ALL BUGS ARE FIXES NOW!" Especially the ones that affect them, their play style and/or monster transformation.

Group D wants more sweetrolls.

And the sub groups go on and on...

Sorry but I don't like the feeling of sitting stagnant with little to do.
    Edited by Jennifur_Vultee on September 30, 2014 4:50PM
    "Whoever is careless with the truth in small matters cannot be trusted with important matters." – Albert Einstein

Treat a customer fairly and they will remember you. Treat a customer poorly and they never forget.

Imperial City: Zerg, gank or die.
  • bosmern_ESO
    bosmern_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why does everyone think grinding is an exploit and that it only exists in this game? Pretty much every MMO out there is really a grind to max level then you get to do the fun stuff.

At first people were complaining that it only went to V10 and that they wanted more levels, now everyone complains that they should stop increasing the level caps. make up your minds people.
    ~Thallen~
  • reften
    reften
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The problem is...there isn't enough content to hit max level...even if you do absolutely EVERYTHING, you're not going to hit cap.

And doing absolutely everything, is just silly. Playing that way makes exploring silly, ESO turned into a quest grind starting with VR1. go to this map, do every quest, dolmen, dungeon, WB, than move to next zone rinse and repeat.

Levels 1 through 50 were ok. You could do dollmens or skip them...same with dungeons...do some PvP, than move to the next zone when you're quests in the previous were turning green...and it was fun to level/play. VR1 started a silly grind. Adding more VR levels with very little content just adds to the grind.

One more VR raise with very little content will be it for me...
    Edited by reften on September 30, 2014 4:57PM
    Reften
    Bosmer (Wood Elf)

• skeletorz_ESO
    skeletorz_ESO
    ✭✭✭

Once again, you wouldn't be competing. If you don't even have time to reach level cap, you def don't have time to compete.

People that are competing and actually clearing things (many are competing but never managing to achieve anything) have 30 - 50 and more played days on their main characters, they spent hours, days learning how to play perfectly, looking for mats, leveling alts for the hirelings, getting all their gear to legendary and so on. They where VR10 less than 2-3 weeks after the game came out (for some it took a couple of days) and VR12 or VR14 the same day the level cap was increased.

If you enjoy leveling slowly, you shouldn't worry about level cap. If you really want to compete, time to grind to VR14 and get invested in the game :).

So you're saying if I can't play 15 hours a day, 7 days a week, I shouldn't bother? Yeah, that market strategy will last a long time. Maybe I'll play again later on when this game goes F2P.
  • rainith2000nub18_ESO
    oren74 wrote: »
    And doing absolutely everything, is just silly. Playing that way makes exploring silly, ESO turned into a quest grind starting with VR1. go to this map, do every quest, dolmen, dungeon, WB, than move to next zone rinse and repeat.

That's where we'll have to agree to disagree, as those things you just listed as silly are exactly why I play this game, to do everything. To me content releases without level cap increases are just silly.
  • Soloeus
    Soloeus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why does everyone think grinding is an exploit and that it only exists in this game? Pretty much every MMO out there is really a grind to max level then you get to do the fun stuff.

At first people were complaining that it only went to V10 and that they wanted more levels, now everyone complains that they should stop increasing the level caps. make up your minds people.

I have always been screaming leave it V10.

Within; Without.
  • Valen_Byte
    Valen_Byte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Soloeus wrote: »
    You aren't a Professional MMO athlete looking to stay at max level doing group-only content at an advanced level for military strategists on teamspeak?

Then you aren't the audience, bye.

'Professional MMO athlete' .....LMAO!!!
    ***Dixon Kay MagDK FORMER EMPEROR***Deca Dix MagDK FORMER EMPORER***Valonious MagPlar FORMER EMPEROR***
    GM of BYTE
    MAY YOUR DEATHS BE SWIFT, AND YOUR LOAD SCREENS LONG.
    And alien tears will fill for him, Pity’s long-broken urn, For his mourners will be outcast men, And outcasts always mourn
  • Tyr
    Tyr
    ✭✭✭✭
    Level cap is 50. VERY 14 is temporary until champion system replaces it when it comes out in 1.6. New gear sets will all be level 50 and you'll be able to get them either through group endgame content or by buying them when the next season rolls out.
  • reften
    reften
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's where we'll have to agree to disagree, as those things you just listed as silly are exactly why I play this game, to do everything. To me content releases without level cap increases are just silly.

Yeah don't get me wrong all that stuff is fun...from 1 to 50. As you're not forced to do absolutely everything. VR levels that's not the case
    Reften
    Bosmer (Wood Elf)

• TehMagnus
    TehMagnus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

So you're saying if I can't play 15 hours a day, 7 days a week, I shouldn't bother? Yeah, that market strategy will last a long time. Maybe I'll play again later on when this game goes F2P.

Try more 5h per day 7 days a week. I've got a full time job and still manage to play at high level of competition (mind you it's not as hard as other MMOs out there in my opinion).

What market strategy? It's always been like that in any MMO, dedicated people and Koreans/Chinese always beat the others because they play longer. You can't login 2h every couple of days and expect the game to put you at the same level of competition than the people who played 20h during the same lapse of time. Even in Guild Wars 2 where you're always max level in PVP, it's all about the gear you have on you... Pay2Win won't change anything, you'll still be at the bottom of the food chain if you can't dedicate time to the game.

If you can't dedicate yourself to the game you can't hope to compete on the same level of people who do, it's the same with any sport/game that requires a bit of skill.

The self entitlement nowadays...
  • Zabus
    Zabus
    ✭✭✭✭

Try more 5h per day 7 days a week. I've got a full time job and still manage to play at high level of competition (mind you it's not as hard as other MMOs out there in my opinion).

What market strategy? It's always been like that in any MMO, dedicated people and Koreans/Chinese always beat the others because they play longer. You can't login 2h every couple of days and expect the game to put you at the same level of competition than the people who played 20h during the same lapse of time. Even in Guild Wars 2 where you're always max level in PVP, it's all about the gear you have on you... Pay2Win won't change anything, you'll still be at the bottom of the food chain if you can't dedicate time to the game.

If you can't dedicate yourself to the game you can't hope to compete on the same level of people who do, it's the same with any sport/game that requires a bit of skill.

Once the champion system comes out, the gap will actually close significantly. They said they were going to implement rest points to those who can't put in the hours the competitive people put in order to get ahead. I'm quite disappointed with this actually. Why put in the hours if someone is going to catch up by getting a bigger bonus for being offline.

Zavus - Khajiit Nightblade EP | AR 50
    Zāv - Imperial Templar | AR 24
    Zavbags - Argonian Nightblade EP | AR 19
    Zabus - Redguard Nightblade DC | AR 13
    Negate Three - Breton Sorcerer EP | AR 19
  • Kego
    Kego
    ✭✭✭✭
    VR1 started a silly grind. Adding more VR levels with very little content just adds to the grind.
    What grind? Every VR levels covers a complete Quest Zone. Heck I`m already VR4 and didn't even finished half of all quests in the 3rd VR Zone. If I would like to, I could just go for the Achivement Quests and move on to the next Zone, leaving the optional Quests aside.

And as much as I heard, if you do the new content of upper Craglorn, you can reach VR13 ~70% without any kind of grind.
    Edited by Kego on October 1, 2014 8:45AM
  • TehMagnus
    TehMagnus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Once the champion system comes out, the gap will actually close significantly. They said they were going to implement rest points to those who can't put in the hours the competitive people put in order to get ahead. I'm quite disappointed with this actually. Why put in the hours if someone is going to catch up by getting a bigger bonus for being offline.

Keep dreaming. Do you know what Champion system as described is?
    A way for no lifers to make OP characters.

All the experience you'll gain after level 50 will be used to increase your stats.

They stated this would be shared with all your alts which means your 2nd level 50 will have all the points from your main but he can also level up and grind Champion system in order to get more points for more buffs. The 3rd alt will have the buffs from the two firsts and will also be able to grind to get more buffs.

And so on. Champion system as described will become a grind fest to get 8 alts to max level.

As for seasonal gear, the gap will remain the same, hard core raiders will get the best gear, the rest of the population will have one or two seasons to catch up with to be on par and even if they have the same gear, they still won't dedicate enough time to the game to clear the same content that top raiders clear.
  • Rune_Relic
    Rune_Relic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Inversus wrote: »
    and then keep waiting
    etc

+1 champion system is coming.....need to strain that patience a little more.
    Anything that can be exploited will be exploited
  • kevlarto_ESO
    kevlarto_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am in the middle of the road on level cap increases, I can see where they are needed for a game to grow, plus with content locusts today all mmo's companies need something to try to get those folks to stay around.

I have read in many different game forums over the years there is a camp out there that once the progression bar stops moving they move on to the next game they consider the game beaten or done with maybe it is console thing I dunno../shrug