The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

VR Motifs and Purple Recipes

Calluna
Calluna
✭✭✭
I know this is going to sound like whining and it is, but I really want to know. Is this common or a bug?

I have never ever on any character gotten a purple recipe, nor have I ever gotten a purple or gold motif leveling my VR character from VR1-7 strictly by quests. I have a VR7, 2 lvl 34's and a lvl 25 all leveled by questing and opening every single container they come across. I have gotten plenty of blue motifs and recipes, but the purple recipes and motifs are non-existant for me. Is the random number generator just hating on me? I don't do the relog farm thing because it is too boring but I open every contain that might have a motif or recipe that I come across.
  • Curragraigue
    Curragraigue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to say your RNG offering was not received. Hopefully you did not include a 2 in it ;)

I'm the same I wont relog farm but I usually do one run a game where I travel through a city and check everything. I play alts and I've noticed that DC seems to be the most container friendly of the Alliances and one of my characters gets more RNG love than the others.

I've picked up 4 purple food recipes and 2 purple drink recipes. I've also bought 2 purple drinks and 1 purple food recipe from zone chat.

Haven't picked up any purple motifs yet but my main has only been in Coldharbour for the last few days.

So not a bug the purples are just hard to find and completely down to the fickle whims of the RNG.

FYI, not sure if it is relevant but the character I'm finding all of the purples on is my goody toe shoes (tries to always make the good decision) and does not do any provisioning, so all of the blue and purple recipes goes to another character. I have always wondered whether doing the 'right' thing with some missions has any affect on RNG because the only other effect I have noticed is that you usually have to do more to finish the mission.
    PUG Life - the true test of your skill

18 characters, 17 max level, at least 1 Stam and 1 Mag of every class, 1 of every race and 1200+ CP

Tanked to Undaunted 9+ Mag and Stam of every class using Group Finder for 90+% of the Vet Dungeon runs
  • radiostar
    radiostar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tip, always check the backpacks laying outdoors at the little mini campsites. I got 2 purple recipes out of them and one blue recipe. They always seemed like an "abandoned" camping area, like for just one or two people, with a backpack and maybe a barrel or a sack with it. Unfortunately, they were drink recipes on the purples. But the blue was a nice food recipe.
    ceo.png
    Edited by radiostar on September 16, 2014 2:27AM
    "Billions upon Billions of Stars"
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's random, I haven't found the purple motifs (did get the imperial one though), but I have several Purple recipes on all but one of my characters, it's just random.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • Constantinople
    Is it still one purple motif a day or can you get more than one?
  • Shader_Shibes
    Shader_Shibes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yesterday i found 2 purple motifs and 2 purple recipes, without farming them. 1 motif and 2 recipes on one char, other motif on another char. Second motif was found in first container on the ship when you arrive in Haven. i think yesterday was my lucky day :) Prior to that it had been well over a month, maybe longer, since i found a epic motif.
    Edited by Shader_Shibes on September 23, 2014 9:53AM
  • Rune_Relic
    Rune_Relic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to say your RNG offering was not received. Hopefully you did not include a 2 in it ;)

I'm the same I wont relog farm but I usually do one run a game where I travel through a city and check everything. I play alts and I've noticed that DC seems to be the most container friendly of the Alliances and one of my characters gets more RNG love than the others.

I've picked up 4 purple food recipes and 2 purple drink recipes. I've also bought 2 purple drinks and 1 purple food recipe from zone chat.

Haven't picked up any purple motifs yet but my main has only been in Coldharbour for the last few days.

So not a bug the purples are just hard to find and completely down to the fickle whims of the RNG.

FYI, not sure if it is relevant but the character I'm finding all of the purples on is my goody toe shoes (tries to always make the good decision) and does not do any provisioning, so all of the blue and purple recipes goes to another character. I have always wondered whether doing the 'right' thing with some missions has any affect on RNG because the only other effect I have noticed is that you usually have to do more to finish the mission.

There is no right way.....its just zeni messing with you ;)
    ie... which is less evil.
    Edited by Rune_Relic on September 23, 2014 11:31AM
    Anything that can be exploited will be exploited
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have always wondered whether doing the 'right' thing with some missions has any affect on RNG because the only other effect I have noticed is that you usually have to do more to finish the mission.

It matters for the reward (sometimes) and perhaps the experience. Also, if you use a Speech Challenge to get past some of the tedious parts of the quest, you get less rewards.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Tatuaje
    Tatuaje
    ✭✭
    Prolly the RNG Gods are displeased with you. I last month I did fairly well harvesting Kutas and Rekutas... Both in stones and heavy sacks.

This month - I am destroying TAs by the pound. I got my first Motif in 3 months this week - Deadra. :)

Never seen a purple rec other than in pictures (I think personally they are photoshopped pics). :(

I may need to make a sacrifice at the RNG alter. Some tasty little lamb maybe?

edit... bad typing.
    Edited by Tatuaje on September 23, 2014 3:11PM
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    the last time I got a purple motif was....... crap... my VR12 was about VR3 or so.... so about a month ago?

you just have to get lucky. iv searched all of DC vet zones, zone by zone, twice, for a motif that I could sell for some gold(yes, a get rich quick scheme, judge me how you want) I found some crappy food recipe only worth 300 gold:(

I myself think there should be another way to get motifs besides looting peoples houses( don't know how this will function when the justice system comes, which is why im worried about it) maybe for clearing a public/veteran dungeon?
    Edited by Cody on September 25, 2014 7:42PM
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

wish your moral choices had more of an effect.
  • Curragraigue
    Curragraigue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cody wrote: »

wish your moral choices had more of an effect.

Me too. A few comments by people every now and then doesn't really feel the same as previous games where your moral decisions felt more weighty. But as other posters have said they have deliberately made a lot of the decisions grey so that there is no right answer usually just two wrong answers with the same consequence.
    PUG Life - the true test of your skill

18 characters, 17 max level, at least 1 Stam and 1 Mag of every class, 1 of every race and 1200+ CP

Tanked to Undaunted 9+ Mag and Stam of every class using Group Finder for 90+% of the Vet Dungeon runs
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I hope they come up with some kind of morality system at some point. Would make the game a lot more interesting.
  • Rune_Relic
    Rune_Relic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you think back to the really really old concepts of game you had chaotic/lawful etc...
    The choice system mixed with this could build into a really deep storyline that depends on your characters nature.
  • LonePirate
    LonePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @Cody

If you are EP, then you should focus your searches for purple recipes and motifs on these locations.

For Barbaric and Primal, go to Stormhaven and farm Wayrest Castle and the nearby Wayrest Treasury.

For Ancient Elves and Daedric, go to Auridon and farm Vulkhel Guard Bank and the nearby Temple to Auri-El.

Search a location, shrine to the other then logout and try again. The same purple recipes will drop in all of those locations. The Imperial motif will drop there as well. Just keep in mind that a timer may be in place to prevent you from finding more than 1 purple item each day.
  • neueregel
    neueregel
    ✭✭✭
    I just pulled an Ancient elves in the Riften bank this morning. This is my last VR zone
    Are you not entertained?
    On my command, unleash hell!
    What we do in life echoes in eternity
  • Rune_Relic
    Rune_Relic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    neueregel wrote: »
    I just pulled an Ancient elves in the Riften bank this morning. This is my last VR zone

Yay.... proud moment.
  • kelly.medleyb14_ESO
    kelly.medleyb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Calluna wrote: »
    I know this is going to sound like whining and it is, but I really want to know. Is this common or a bug?

I have never ever on any character gotten a purple recipe, nor have I ever gotten a purple or gold motif leveling my VR character from VR1-7 strictly by quests. I have a VR7, 2 lvl 34's and a lvl 25 all leveled by questing and opening every single container they come across. I have gotten plenty of blue motifs and recipes, but the purple recipes and motifs are non-existant for me. Is the random number generator just hating on me? I don't do the relog farm thing because it is too boring but I open every contain that might have a motif or recipe that I come across.

Just goes to show people will complain about anything...
  • Woolenthreads
    Woolenthreads
    ✭✭✭✭
    radiostar wrote: »
    Tip, always check the backpacks laying outdoors at the little mini campsites.

Also check the clay jars/urns and the high wall cupboards within buildings.
    Oooh look, lot's of Butterflies! Wait! Butterflies? Get out of here Sheo, stop bugging me!

Having issues with Provisioning Writs? A list of problem Writs and people willing to help in game can be found in this Thread
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The RNG is usually very bad for me, but about 1-2 weeks ago I spend half a night farming, while I had the game set in window-mode, and I was writing in a window next to it. I managed to farm a Barbaric motif, Primal motif, Ancient Elf motif and a consumate sweetroll recipe. But I also spend like 8 hours just relogging with my chars, and doing nothing but brainless farming.
  • FooWasHere
    FooWasHere
    ✭✭✭
    LonePirate wrote: »
    @Cody
    (...)
    Just keep in mind that a timer may be in place to prevent you from finding more than 1 purple item each day.

I can definitively confirm that there's no such timer, or at least it's not set to a day. I've found purple motif and purple recipe on the same day several times, and I know for sure that I've found double motifs on two separate days, and on one of those days I found two purple motifs and a purple recipe.
    Given the low chance per container, I think you would have to farm for an incredible time to establish some kind of statistical significant evidence for a cool-down timer or similar.
    /Foo
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FooWasHere wrote: »
    I can definitively confirm that there's no such timer, or at least it's not set to a day.

I don't think there is any cool down timer. But I know I have never found more than one Motif, Blue or otherwise, in a single building per log in. And I have found more than 200 Blue Motifs and a nice number of Purples. I have found two Blue Motifs in a single log in, but with two buildings. Still have not found an Imperial yet, which is why I have found so many Blues....
    Edited by Nestor on January 9, 2015 5:19PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Tarukmockto
    Tarukmockto
    ✭✭✭
    @FooWasHere: I totally want your luck with the RNG! If I'm really lucky I find maybe one purple a week. I'd faint right onto my keyboard if I every found 3 purples in one session!

Still hoping to find the Daedric and Imperial motifs.
    NA - DC - DK - PC
  • cyclonus11
    cyclonus11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I found exactly 1 purple recipe. I've also never found a single purple recipe ingredient.
  • ThePonzzz
    ThePonzzz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    cyclonus11 wrote: »
    I found exactly 1 purple recipe. I've also never found a single purple recipe ingredient.

Wow really? No onions, salt, pepper, etc?
  • FooWasHere
    FooWasHere
    ✭✭✭
    cyclonus11 wrote: »

I'm a compulsive looter. Loot all house furniture, backpacks, produce boxes, urns, vases, dwemer pots and ye shall find. In fact, dwemer ruins like Avanchnzel (The Rift) is very good for pepper and red wheat, as well as dwemer motifs.
    And no, you won't speed level in this way. ;)

Foo
  • FooWasHere
    FooWasHere
    ✭✭✭
    @FooWasHere: I totally want your luck with the RNG! If I'm really lucky I find maybe one purple a week. I'd faint right onto my keyboard if I every found 3 purples in one session!

Well, yesterday while I was chilling and picking flowers in (Ebonheart vet) Stormhaven I actually found three Kuta, then I got really spooked. "Just get them to the bank now Foo, don't vendor anything or clean up the inventory, just get them to the bank!" Too improbable RNG there... :)

Re Motifs: It's a matter of making sure you get a lot of opportunities. Park up your char in e.g. (veteran DC) Mournhold fighter's guild (is that a gold zone for DC?). The you'll get two opportunities per session to loot the place, once when logging in, and once when parking up. Good luck!

Foo
  • Woolenthreads
    Woolenthreads
    ✭✭✭✭

Re Motifs: It's a matter of making sure you get a lot of opportunities. Park up your char in e.g. (veteran DC) Mournhold fighter's guild (is that a gold zone for DC?). The you'll get two opportunities per session to loot the place, once when logging in, and once when parking up. Good luck!

Foo

There are multiple medium and high furniture locations. DC has Wayrest castle/bank for high and Daggerfall/Bangkorai for medium. EP has Windhelm/Mournhold for high and Riften for Medium. I've only explored part of Auridon so I've only found a medium location, being Vulkhel Guard. The furniture drop character-level items, so it doesn't matter which location you loot.

#edit The furniture all refresh when you enter a region too
    Edited by Woolenthreads on January 11, 2015 1:36AM
    Oooh look, lot's of Butterflies! Wait! Butterflies? Get out of here Sheo, stop bugging me!

Having issues with Provisioning Writs? A list of problem Writs and people willing to help in game can be found in this Thread
  • FooWasHere
    FooWasHere
    ✭✭✭

There are multiple medium and high furniture locations. DC has Wayrest castle/bank for high and Daggerfall/Bangkorai for medium. EP has Windhelm/Mournhold for high and Riften for Medium. I've only explored part of Auridon so I've only found a medium location, being Vulkhel Guard. The furniture drop character-level items, so it doesn't matter which location you loot.

As far as I'm aware the two higher purple (Ancient Elf and Daedric) motifs only drops in Cadwell's Gold zones. Or did they change that? O.o
  • Woolenthreads
    Woolenthreads
    ✭✭✭✭

As far as I'm aware the two higher purple (Ancient Elf and Daedric) motifs only drops in Cadwell's Gold zones. Or did they change that? O.o

I don't think I said anything about where they restrict stuff, I was just saying there are some places where one can get a high turnover of furniture to open. I was sort of hoping, though, that someone who'd been through all of AD might state where the Wayrest or Windhelm equivalent locations were :).

#edit: Oh, I see, the "character-level" comment. I have noticed that purple recipes don't make much of an appearance before L45 with the exception of Dwemer pages but I wasn't certain it wasn't a RNG issue. They might have restricted the Ancient/Daedric to VR5+ but I'm not certain they would restrict it to specific sites. I'll have to wait and see if I can get a Barbaric drop on my VR1 in his home faction.
    Edited by Woolenthreads on January 12, 2015 9:55AM

• AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I don't think I said anything about where they restrict stuff, I was just saying there are some places where one can get a high turnover of furniture to open. I was sort of hoping, though, that someone who'd been through all of AD might state where the Wayrest or Windhelm equivalent locations were :).

#edit: Oh, I see, the "character-level" comment. I have noticed that purple recipes don't make much of an appearance before L45 with the exception of Dwemer pages but I wasn't certain it wasn't a RNG issue. They might have restricted the Ancient/Daedric to VR5+ but I'm not certain they would restrict it to specific sites. I'll have to wait and see if I can get a Barbaric drop on my VR1 in his home faction.

No, the Mods have said that Ancient Elf and Primal drop in the Cadwell's silver Zones, and Barbaric and Daedric Drop in Cadwell's Gold zones.

This was a while back, so they might have changed it again, but I doubt it.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule