Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The PlayStation™ Network is currently experiencing a service interruption. Please check here for status updates: https://status.playstation.com/en-us/

Made a bosmer/archer character, anyone have any good advice?

rosarose
rosarose
✭✭
I have liked the bosmer type since first time I bought the game ( I pre ordered it ) But because I read that many thought bosmers are not any good I went for a Nord instead. Now I really want to give this character a try, and I have been reading alot more about it, but could you give me an exsample of you bosmer archer build? And what class did you choose for it?
  • Greatfellow
    Greatfellow
    ✭✭✭
    errr... switch to 2H/DW....

:)

signed,
    Bosmer former archer.
  • rosarose
    rosarose
    ✭✭
    Oh really? Well I guess dual wield is a nice enough option, it's really sad that both bow and bosmer aren't all that great. Do you find that you do well in PVE with dual wield? And do you but your points in stamina or magic?
  • Greatfellow
    Greatfellow
    ✭✭✭
    rosarose wrote: »
    Oh really? Well I guess dual wield is a nice enough option, it's really sad that both bow and bosmer aren't all that great. Do you find that you do well in PVE with dual wield? And do you but your points in stamina or magic?

I love archery and stealth in games, and started ESO with my lil Bosmer archer. Trouble from the start, just got harder to survive grouped bad guys as I leveled up and the bad guys got tougher. Even after they improved Bow with various game updates it still wasn't working for me. I was very frustrated, scanned the forums for alternate melee tactics, and left Bow behind. That said, you'll probably find some players who make it work and can tell you how; I have not yet met any that do solely bow (bow on both Ability bars).

So, I do Great in PVE with a combo of DH and DW, but I could probably do just as well using just DW. I'm now V7:

Attributes are 15 Magicka, 17 Health, 17 Stamina. It seems to be the best balance for me (and I have respecc'ed a couple times to vary the Attributes one point in either direction, just to fine tune it). I find very tough to run out of Stamina.
    I use high magicka-recovery necklace, high health-recovery ring, Potion Amplification ring.
    I don't have any purple recipes but I don't worry about that: If I think I'm going to do tough battle, I eat VR5 Invigorated Honey Pudding to bump my Stam and Magicka by 312 points each for an hour The Stamina boost is solely to increase my weapon damage. As an alternative I like to eat a Fortified Sweetroll, increasing my Health and Magicka by 312 points for an hour; the Health bump is welcome. I'd say either food is effective, but I tend to reach for the Honey Pudding. Also as an alternative I like to drink Fortified Bervez Lager to increase my Health and Magicka recovery by 11 each for an hour, but the Pudding seems to be more helpful.
    • All my armor has Health enchantments except my cuirass which has Magicka. The Traits are all Impenetrable except helm and bracers which have Reinforced. I wear Heavy legs and cuirass and Medium everything else. I use
      3 pieces of Seducer armor and 4 pieces of Hunding's Rage armor.
      • My 2H Battle Axe is Hunding's Rage. My DW two daggers are night Mother. My divine sign is the Thief. I have 54% Crit chance with my Battle Axe and 68% Crit Chance with my Daggers. The Crit daggers just kick butt in a big way.

So, I usually open with a 2H Wrecking Blow from Stealth, followed with one light attack,then use Dark Cloak and before it fades I switch to my DW and perform a Surprise Attack followed by a Rapid Strikes. Then I just work the crowd with my DW light attacks and Abilities as the situation calls for, while protecting myself with Dark Cloak and a health potion that restores all three stats (it uses bugloss, columbine, and mountain flower, i think). The point being, I guess, that I use DW after my initial 2H attack, regardless of how that remaining battle goes.

There's more, but this is enough to give you a picture of my set up and strategy. The important thing is, I find it very fun. I'm not a spell caster, never liked that, I like the melee of this build and the dodging and jumping and clanging of swords. Hope you like it too.
  • rosarose
    rosarose
    ✭✭
    Thank you so much for you feedback :) I will start looking into DW some more, I have used 2H with my Nord earlier so I know how that works pretty much up to level 32.
  • WraithAzraiel
    WraithAzraiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dual wield/bow Bosmer Nightblade or Sorc, since they're OP as ***
    Shendell De'Gull - V14 Vampire Nightblade

Captain of the Black Howling

"There's no such thing as overkill..."

"No problem on the face of the Earth exists what can't be fixed with the proper application of enough duct tape and 550 cord."

P2PBetaTesters
    #Tamriel_BETA_Team
    #BETA_TESTER4LYF
    DominionMasterRace
    #GOAHEADTHEYGOTCANDY
    #SEEMSLEGIT
  • venomsky
    venomsky
    ✭✭✭
    btw bosmer have horrible stamia buff
  • KenCleanAirSystem
    KenCleanAirSystem
    ✭✭✭
    I play a Bosmer Nightblade archer (bow on both bars) ... currently VR5, and have never had any trouble at all in PvE. It's not the greatest build for PvP, but it works well enough ... of course, I play PvP strictly for fun. I have no desire to be at the top of the leaderboard or anything like that, so the build works well enough for me. In Cyrodiil I play a support role, and I'm okay with that. In the PvE areas, a wood elf nightblade archer has been more than powerful enough to handle anything I have faced from lvl 1-VR5.
  • TheAmu
    TheAmu
    ✭✭✭
    I play a bosmer DW.

But I've been leveling up all other weapons and my experience with the bow is:

Bow heavy sneak attack does only a little less damage than a melee close range stealth attack and should only take an additional light attack to put down.

Use Bow as your opener to kill off one mob then switch to close range melee.

Other than that, just pick something for the play style you're comfortable with.
  • rosarose
    rosarose
    ✭✭
    thanks so much for the replies :) Currently I am wondering if I will go with DW or 1H and shield as second weapon, but it seems like DW is the best choice for nighblades
  • Tamanous
    Tamanous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play a bow/dual Bosmer Templar and love it. It mixes range and melee very well. It is also very silly for people to say you should play one weapon only. You have more than enough skill points to train several weapons if you want.

Bow provides a decent ranged option and is very resource friendly as a great portion of damage comes from your light and heavy attacks. It's upcoming buffs certain won't hurt either. Templar has the benefit of having far more AOE options than NB so I find Bow works even better with that class unless you absolutely want just the uber NB single target opener.

I still have the option of making a pure bow build or a pure dual wield build because *SHOCKER* I have both skills lines trained and can mix and match how ever I want. I prefer DW over 2h with Templar because the class already has a charge ability that doesn't eat up stamina and DW is more stamina efficient.

I actually do not mind 2h but having to waste one skill slot for Momentum just to bring it's damage up to what DW already does ruins it for me and I prefer running 2 different weapons on my Templar instead of wasting my second bar as a buff bar for my main weapon. The benefit of playing a Templar is that the class has all the support skills you need build into it. You do not need a resto staff eating up your second choice or a second bar full of non-class skills devoted to support your first.
    Edited by Tamanous on September 10, 2014 7:34PM
  • rosarose
    rosarose
    ✭✭
    So far just around level 12, but I am having a good time :) I am a little impressed that I can manage level 15 where I am now, but only 3 at the same time, if I get any more enemies coming at me I usually die. I just thought that bow was supposed to not be a "good" weapon choice, I got killed more often with my templar ;) Though I really enjoyed that class to, but this playstyle I am using now seems to work a little better for me.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    rosarose wrote: »
    I have liked the bosmer type since first time I bought the game ( I pre ordered it ) But because I read that many thought bosmers are not any good I went for a Nord instead. Now I really want to give this character a try, and I have been reading alot more about it, but could you give me an exsample of you bosmer archer build? And what class did you choose for it?
    I just made a stamina based Wood Elf Archer alt about a week ago, here's a link to some of her PvP exploits after she reached level 10.
    forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/130978/for-those-of-you-that-still-think-one-has-to-be-vr12-to-have-fun-in-pvp/p1

She's a Night Blade using the bow as her main/ranged weapon and a 2H Sword for close combat in PvE.
    Since i don't have weapon swap yet, i use the bow exclusively in PvP.

So far, this build has been a lot of fun. I purposely focus on stamina based weapons and skills and run her pretty much naked to add some extra challenge to the game play.
    :)
    Edited by SirAndy on September 11, 2014 5:50PM
  • rosarose
    rosarose
    ✭✭
    looks like fun :) I haven't tried her in pvp yet, I am not that good I feel either in pvp. Might give it a try later :)
  • Soulharvester
    Soulharvester
    ✭✭✭
    Bow and resto staff for me.
  • Gallego
    Gallego
    ✭✭
    Like others here I run a bow/DW nightblade Bosmer and for the most part use the bow/kite and DW inside and tight places. Usually 1 or 2 shot reg mobs with snipe. Allways look for the 1v1 opportunities. When there are groups you have to maneuver around to find the opportunity. Bosses, again they use different mechanics and you have to adjust. But for the most part it's a lot of fun to climb on a rock and snipe players, disappear move snipe again.
    Edited by Gallego on September 15, 2014 2:37PM
  • rosarose
    rosarose
    ✭✭
    Thanks so much for the replies :)