The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Discussion: Heavy Armor

• Khivas_Carrick
    Khivas_Carrick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll post here once I'm at a computer in earnest, but for now know that I like your idea for bracing but I'm still against the massive regen for armour since it defeats the purpose of the other two types, especially when sets are available and heavy attacks restore your resources now.
    Bobbity Boop, this game might become poop, but I'll still play because I'm just a pile of goop!
  • ph1026
    ph1026
    ✭✭
    I'm still against the massive regen for armour since it defeats the purpose of the other two types, especially when sets are available and heavy attacks restore your resources now.

I hear you on that , but like I was saying, light and medium to MAX dps and have its respective regens, but heavy armor will NOT max dps but give you better regen and utility.
    Perhaps heavy armor could work like the 2nd or 3rd iteration seducer set, where it takes off the cost off all abilities not be specific to magicka or stamina. All I really know is health regen is the weakest of all things to regen, and pretty much sucks.and taking damage to regen anything is bad because by the time you regen enough to use a spell your dead or almost dead from the damage.

p.s I would also like to say, thank you for taking the time to start this thread. I personally am sick of wearing light armor so I am not gimped.it looks terrible on my manly mans man tank. =)

• Marthenil
    Marthenil
    ✭✭✭
    I still think tying armors to resources is idiotic. It's really a non choice (in PvE).
  • jamie.goddenrwb17_ESO
    Marthenil wrote: »
    I still think tying armors to resources is idiotic. It's really a non choice (in PvE).

Completely agree. Armor should affect the beating you can take, not how much damage you can do or how many abilities you can use. All they did by adding the current skill lines was force specific armor/build combos.

Very un-Elder Scrolls.o
    I can has typing!
  • Khivas_Carrick
    Khivas_Carrick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not entirely. Even in Elder Scrolls the type of armor you wore did determine what you could and couldn't do, such as Heavy Armored dudes would certainly not sneak the f*** around and Light Armor dudes would not be on the front lines.

All ZoS did was the age old trope (one that dates back to D&D mind you) that certain people with certain armor types would be best at this sort of certain role. Only that they TES'ed it, and did a surprisingly good job of making it like Elder Scrolls in that while X/Y/Z Armor Type will make you better at X/Y/Z Combat Role, you don't need that particular armor type to succeed in it.

Granted take this with a pound or two of salt because boy do they have a ways to go in making it perfect. That said it's far from bad and for PvE, of course it's a non-choice to wear armor! =P What isn't a non-choice is what armor you want to wear because you can pull off some surprising stuff wearing mix-matched pieces of armor now. I've seen tanks in full Light, Casters in full Heavy, and Healers in Full Medium.

Sassifras.
    Bobbity Boop, this game might become poop, but I'll still play because I'm just a pile of goop!
  • Still_Mind
    Still_Mind
    ✭✭✭
    Not entirely. Even in Elder Scrolls the type of armor you wore did determine what you could and couldn't do, such as Heavy Armored dudes would certainly not sneak the f*** around and Light Armor dudes would not be on the front lines.

All ZoS did was the age old trope (one that dates back to D&D mind you) that certain people with certain armor types would be best at this sort of certain role. Only that they TES'ed it, and did a surprisingly good job of making it like Elder Scrolls in that while X/Y/Z Armor Type will make you better at X/Y/Z Combat Role, you don't need that particular armor type to succeed in it.

Granted take this with a pound or two of salt because boy do they have a ways to go in making it perfect. That said it's far from bad and for PvE, of course it's a non-choice to wear armor! =P What isn't a non-choice is what armor you want to wear because you can pull off some surprising stuff wearing mix-matched pieces of armor now. I've seen tanks in full Light, Casters in full Heavy, and Healers in Full Medium.

Sassifras.
    Well, a tank in full light is hella different than healer in full medium, or a caster in full Heavy. The former is a conscious choice by someone who capped on armour using class buffs, or jewellery enchants, has tanking set bonuses (like Hist bark, etc), and uses a lot of Magicka to do damage and keep buffs\debuffs\CC\heal himself\whatever.

A healer in full Medium is either extremely confident (like if he or his group outgears\outlevels the content that he heals in, and he just equipped a resto staff that he has some key skills in), or he's doesn't really know what he's doing.

A damage-dealing caster in full Heavy will do considerably less DPS... and that's pretty much the end of the story. Less mana, less penetration, less spell crit.
    "I'm not *giving* him cake, I'm *assaulting* him with cake!"
  • Khivas_Carrick
    Khivas_Carrick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not saying it'll be perfect, I was stating it was possible.

What isn't currently possible/correct is the fact that you can be just as effective of a tank in Light Armor as you would normally be a healer, but you cannot say the reverse for a player in full Heavy Armor, and you can fully tank in Medium and melee/bow DPS just fine, but have issues with Casting things, but nearly as much as Heavy Would.

That's the disparity here, that'st he problem both Devs and Players currently face.
  • Still_Mind
    Still_Mind
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose, yeah... Comes with the "semi-sandbox character architecture" territory.

I suppose I'm grumpy because heavy armour is still overall inferior to other types, and I'm only entertaining it on alts :)
    "I'm not *giving* him cake, I'm *assaulting* him with cake!"
  • Khivas_Carrick
    Khivas_Carrick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel ya on that one my friend.