The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Any Tips for not losing wykkyd and harvestings settings with 1.4 ?

indigoblades
indigoblades
✭✭✭
Every major upgrade i lose all my addon settings for all addons. wykkyd, FTC and harvester are most troubling. it happened with 1.3 on LIVE and 1.3 and 1.4 on PTS. I save backup ups of 'SavedVariables', 'AddOnes' folders and 'UserSettings' and 'AddOnSettings' before each major upgrade but everytime a major rev is released on PTS or LIVE i lose these settings because ZOS resets them and its not obvious how to revert them.

If they reset all addons in the release of 1.4 maybe a step by step on how to drop in ur old addon settings would be helpful. I know some ways don't work ... should we do it before we log in ... after we log in ... between when the launcher updates but before we login, after we login in and out once. .... replace in game then use reload ui .... there are lots of permutations of this. Also i could make more permutations of when u enable the addon and when you drop in ur saved addon file.

wykkyd is particularly confusing because outfitter (mhoutfitter) has dependcies on the main wykkyd (mhFramework). Outfitter cant be enabled in Addons if framework is not enabled but frameworks macros are looking for outfitter gear and skill names. One pref may need to replaced before the other, or one replace twice to over come this chicken and egg cycle .... Anyway Wykkyd adds even more permutations of how to load your good SavedVariables files. If any one has luck with this, a step by step would be helpful.

Any tips are appreciated ... i hate to lose all my harvest nodes, and losing all my wykkyd skill/gear/macro's is getting old. For that matter redoing every addon (FTC, Skyshards, Lorebooks, Lootdrop, ect) for each char is getting old too. For me, the pending upgrades in 1.4 are not worth re-entering all my Wykkyd gear and skill settings. i have been able to recover my Wykkyd macro names but lost all my gear and skill setting when 1.3 went live.

If this is not happening to others please tell me, maybe i have bug in my 'SavedVariables' files and please tells me what to change. After release 1.3 i replaced all occurances of a null user name with my username in each important 'SavedVariables' file. I only play one account on this computer now, but months ago i had logged in with friends accounts too help them but i stopped so the addons wont get confused.

Oh and a blanket statement by ZOS we dont support addons is unacceptable in my opinion. They wrote an article in praise of Wykyyd and addons. So we should be able to do a major update with out losing all our add-on prefs.
Edited by indigoblades on August 31, 2014 11:40AM
  • katkat42
    katkat42
    ✭✭✭
    Everybody lost their add-on settings with Patch 2 because of a bug they introduced with that patch. The bug caused the add-on management system to look in the "wrong" place for the saved settings.

So people went and re-built their data in the new location. Then the bug was fixed in Patch 3, and add-ons started looking in the "right" place again...now that people had re-built their data in the "wrong" place.

So the user settings didn't exist in the "right" place, or they were very old by this time and didn't include anything that had been recorded since Patch 2.

But, barring ZO introducing another such bug in Patch 4, it shouldn't happen again. (Big "if", I know, but let's hope they learned their lesson)
    Stonehenge ROCKS!
  • Wykkyd
    Wykkyd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You won't lose any Wykkyd settings with 1.4. That's done. The only way you could possibly lose any settings from my addons due to a game patch in the future is if they completely remove the ability to save data via addon.txt file configured SavedVariable globals. I no longer use the built-in ZO_SavedVar functionality and thus my addons are no longer subject to their patch-day shenanigans.
  • indigoblades
    indigoblades
    ✭✭✭
    Ok thank you !!!!!!

i lost all settings in 1.4 pts for everything, including my keyboard layout .... Pts isnt critical .... I lost eveything on the live1.3 release too, On live i have about 10 gears saved and macro'd to keys. i probally have about 20 skill sets and emotes saved too, mostly emotes tho. Most is not too bad recreate, but outfit gear sets are, since traits/jewelry and weapons need to be matched.

All so as my post above i mention there is chicken egg dependancy i cant figure out when trying load back up saved vars (at least for me) . Last time i ended up recreating my gear sets when using backups .... Here is the circular dependancy as i see it: outfitter needs framework to exist ... yet framework need to know gear names for the macro to load them.

hope fully i wont need to use the backup saved vars this time. If i do have a problem i will post for help because surely others have gear macro'd.
  • Wykkyd
    Wykkyd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It wasn't a circular dependency. It's different now, but event then (and now), it was a dynamic dependency... if you will:

Pre-Rewrite:

Outfitter, and the other addons that depended on Framework, did not actually load itself. It asked Framework to load it. So, Outfitter's code would enter Game Client memory but wouldn't spin up. Framework would watch all ON_ADDON_LOADED events and start up all addons that had registered with it. This included Outfitter. So, Outfitter by itself would just sit there and never do anything. With Framework installed, Outfitter would start up via Framework's load process. Confused yet?

Additionally Framework's Macro system would look for the Outfitter globals to exist. If they existed, it would enable the Gear & Skill systems in Macros. If not, it would leave them disabled. The Gear & Skill system enabling would simply issue callbacks to Outfitter's global whenever a relevant Macro was processed (only if the Outfitter global was available to process them).

Post-Rewrite:

Framework's dependency system and features are all gone now.
    Framework is now an addon suite, including 5 other addons.
    Those 5 other addons encompass most of the functionality of the USER FEATURES of the original Framework.

Outfitter still relies on the control & api functions that the original Framework provided. In fact, all of my addons do. However, that now lives on as LibWykkydFactory which is now embedded as a 6500 line of code single .lua file inside each addon.

LibWykkydFactory loads itself into memory once per MAJOR version number, using the highest MINOR version that all enabled addons embed.

All dependent addons embed their own copy. And they still do not directly register themselves with the game. They call REGISTER_WYKKYD_FACTORY_2, a global method. That registration with LibWykkydFactory inserts a TON of functionality into the registered addon. It also makes LibWykkydFactory handle the ON_ADDON_LOAD event on behalf of the addon, just like the old Framework used to do.

More Importantly, for saved variables

All of my addons USED to use the API-provided ZO_SavedVar controls for pushing data in and out of saved .lua files.

That ZO_SavedVar process hooks your character's specific saved settings beneath your @account name as a key. The original flaw was that if the social system in game was bugged, errored out or simply disabled... your account registered as an empty string, "", to all API calls, including ZO_SavedVar. So whenever that hiccupped, it was as if you lost your saved variables.

More recently ZOS implemented a "fix" to circumvent this "error" in the future. That fix effectively "wiped out" your settings again. In truth your settings still existed, albeit the default method of retrieving them couldn't find them, because ZO_SavedVar wasn't doing the same thing it had in the past.

There has always been an alternative to this. And that is that when constructing an addon you have to provide a .txt file which tells the game how to load your addon. Part of that file can be a parameter called ## SavedVariable (off the top of my head, syntax could be off). And in that line you give it a variable name. THAT did NOT go through ZO_SavedVar and was not filtered by account or character name/id. Think of it as "purely global saved data for that entire addon".

I basically, with my rewrite, manually re-created the character-name filtering of saved data inside those globals. So now your saved information for all Wykkyd addons is still, when appropriate, segregated to each individual character. However there's no @account filtering what-so-ever, so it can never again be bugged by those kind of patch changes.

As for you losing saves on PTS... that was probably A old versions of the addon, or B occurred before the re-write, or C lost saves due to the re-write (the process created all new addons, so those who upgraded did lose all previous settings).

...and there's your TMI-dump for the day.
  • Gillysan
    Gillysan
    ✭✭✭✭
    When you see a big patch going down, simultaneously copy your entire saved variables folder to a safe place to hedge your bets. Their just little text files.

Oh, in the copied folder rename it to include the day's date.

Then cross your fingers.
  • indigoblades
    indigoblades
    ✭✭✭
    I all ways copy my all important files for backup monday morn and wed morn before possiable updates on both LIVE and PTS .... TY TY Wykkyd for the detailed explaination, thats invaluable if i have problem this round. Keep up the good work.
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Wykkyd‌, so is there a way to import the skill/gear set combos and/or Macro's from the 1.3 version to the 1.4, or do they have to be manually rebuilt one last time?

(I have the .lua files from mhoutfitter, and framework) Posted for those that don't know - obviously not for you.

Great add-ons, by the way.

Thanks in advance.
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • Wykkyd
    Wykkyd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You shouldn't have to do anything at all. Mine simply kept working.
  • indigoblades
    indigoblades
    ✭✭✭
    Wykkyd was one of the few things that did not break on Release 1.4, TY for a great Add On.