Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Which do you prefer? Fixed bugs or New Content.

• JessieColt
    JessieColt
    ✭✭✭✭
    JessieColt wrote: »
    OP, you seem not to understand how a game company works.

On the contrary it seems that you do not understand how the "Entertainment" industry works. I have a degree in 3D modeling/Animation for gaming/film production and while studying we were also educated on how the "Entertainment" industry works.

Sure they will want to keep their main dev directors but the guys actually doing all the grunt work are a dime a dozen in the industry and move from job to job all the time its called Freelance.

Except you are assuming that all of the QA, Dev, and other team members are actually on contract or are "freelancers" and are not actually in the employ of the company.

Sure, many companies do freelance people to do a specific job, or for a specific contract period, but that is not always the case when it comes to gaming and web companies.

Most people who work for gaming companies are in house.
    Edited by JessieColt on August 29, 2014 4:59PM
  • heyguyslol
    heyguyslol
    ✭✭✭
    I want Zos to focus their efforts more on fixing in game bugs/exploits rather than adding new content to the game.

On the contrary it seems that you do not understand how the "Entertainment" industry works. I have a degree in 3D modeling/Animation for gaming/film production and while studying we were also educated on how the "Entertainment" industry works.

Sure they will want to keep their main dev directors but the guys actually doing all the grunt work are a dime a dozen in the industry and move from job to job all the time its called Freelance.

Except you are assuming that all of the QA, Dev, and other team members are actually on contract or are "freelancers" and are not actually in the employ of the company.

Sure, many companies do freelance people to do a specific job, or for a specific contract period, but that is no always the case when it comes to gaming and web companies.

It's not an assumption it's a fact especially for a company as large as Zos. I personally don't want anyone layed off from a job but for my game play I want my $15 sub going to fixing bugs/exploits/game stabilization instead of new content. When and if they can get the game to about 90% stability then add new content. The problem is this game was release about 6 months before it should have been which is why so many players left the game and why its gotten such horrible reviews.

Yes I do enjoy the game and want it to grow and become successful but if Zos doesn't play their cards right it will fail I've seen it happen to many mmo's over the 16 years I've been playing mmo's.
    @heyguyslol

http://twitch.tv/heyguyslol_1975
  • vyndral13preub18_ESO
    vyndral13preub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like the bugs/exploits fine and I would rather them add more content to the game.
    Content please. Hook me up.
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I like the bugs/exploits fine and I would rather them add more content to the game.
    FYI we still have not gotten a fix to the nice P1.3 memory leak Zos gave us and still no word from them on when they plan to fix it but hey we are getting new content so that makes it ok.

Sure I dont mind my game client crashing every 1-2 hours as long as I get new content.
    Except they already applied a fix for the memory leak.
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/126384/hotfix-8-13-14-memory-leak-complete#latest

Now if it didn't work for you, it didn't work, but it reinforces my point. There will bugs even when they focus on fixing them. That's no reason to have the development staff sit on their hands and do nothing.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • heyguyslol
    heyguyslol
    ✭✭✭
    I want Zos to focus their efforts more on fixing in game bugs/exploits rather than adding new content to the game.
    driosketch wrote: »
    FYI we still have not gotten a fix to the nice P1.3 memory leak Zos gave us and still no word from them on when they plan to fix it but hey we are getting new content so that makes it ok.

Sure I dont mind my game client crashing every 1-2 hours as long as I get new content.
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/126384/hotfix-8-13-14-memory-leak-complete#latest

Now if it didn't work for you, it didn't work, but it reinforces my point. There will bugs even when they focus on fixing them. That's no reason to have the development staff sit on their hands and do nothing.

The memory leak is not fixed. I watch my task manager as the eso client grows in memory usage until the client eventually crashes. In pve its not as bad but in pvp it happens a lot. Furthermore it's not just me all the live steamers I watch also crash due to this leak.
    Edited by heyguyslol on August 29, 2014 5:10PM
    @heyguyslol

• JessieColt
    JessieColt
    ✭✭✭✭

Sure, many companies do freelance people to do a specific job, or for a specific contract period, but that is no always the case when it comes to gaming and web companies.

It's not an assumption it's a fact especially for a company as large as Zos.

Really? So you have inside information and know for a fact that the majority of the people who are working for Zenimax on ESO are contract/freelancers and are not direct employees of the company?

So all of the listings and openings to work for the company itself, including "Art" and "Design" is just the company screwing with people and making them think that they have those jobs available in-house but in fact will only be contract workers?

http://jobs.zenimax.com/

World Artist

Division: Bethesda Game Studios | Department: Art | Location: Rockville , US-MD, US

Responsibilities:

Model and texture high and low resolution 3D environmental assets
    Layout and light in-game environments using our proprietary toolset

Requirements:

Bachelor's Degree in Fine Arts, Graphic Arts, or 3D Design
    Excellent fine art skills (sketch work and/or 3D concept work)
    Excellent modeling and texturing skills
    Excellent lighting skills
    Proficiency with 3D Studio Max, Zbrush and Photoshop
    Must work well under pressure
    Passion for making GREAT games
    Experience playing previous Bethesda Game Studios games

So this is one of the listings for an Artist on the Zenimax Jobs listing. Indicating that the person will be an in-house employee and not a "contract" employee or "freelancer"

Please try to educate yourself about the company you are talking about, instead of assuming that what you think you know about other stuff applies in this situation.

It doesn't.
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

The memory leak is not fixed. I watch my task manager as the eso client grows in memory usage until the client eventually crashes. In pve its not as bad but in pvp it happens a lot. Furthermore it's not just me all the live steamers I watch also crash due to this leak.
    The point is this poll represents flawed thinking. Because bugs still exist, it's assumed no effort has been made to fix them. This is not true, and it's not either/or situation when it comes to adding new content.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • heyguyslol
    heyguyslol
    ✭✭✭

Really? So you have inside information and know for a fact that the majority of the people who are working for Zenimax on ESO are contract/freelancers and are not direct employees of the company?

So all of the listings and openings to work for the company itself, including "Art" and "Design" is just the company screwing with people and making them think that they have those jobs available in-house but in fact will only be contract workers?

World Artist

Division: Bethesda Game Studios | Department: Art | Location: Rockville , US-MD, US

Responsibilities:

Requirements:

So this is one of the listings for an Artist on the Zenimax Jobs listing. Indicating that the person will be an in-house employee and not a "contract" employee or "freelancer"

Please try to educate yourself about the company you are talking about, instead of assuming that what you think you know about other stuff applies in this situation.

It doesn't.

Well if this info is true then Zos is taking an approach with their employees that most game and film companies don't. Yes I did not actually look at their job description and assumed that a company as large as Zos would follow this same pattern as most large companies do in the industry but if this info is true then it appears they do not. Personally I see this as a mistake on their part and makes it more difficult to balance out priorities for the games development.

@heyguyslol

• liquid_wolf
    liquid_wolf
    ✭✭✭✭
    1. Content
    2. Bug Fixes

No matter how bad the bugs are, if you implement a fix to a bug without knowing what content is coming up and how it is being built, your fix will be pointless.

The focus has to be on content first, then bug fixes.

But... as one player pointed out up towards the beginning... they are not the same teams. Bug analysis, tracking, and fixing are not performed by the same people doing Content Creation.

The people doing acting, scripting, level design, and quest creation are not fixing bugs. They consult and give information to a different team that does.

That team analyzes and corrects items on a daily basis... implements the fix... tests it... tests it... changes it... tests it... tests it...

Then puts it on the PTS... where we test it. If it doesn't work... return to previous process.

Content creation, however, just keeps chugging along. They creators may get notices/updates from the Bug-fixers about things they need to correct when making new content...

But the content creation team does not stop what they are doing to fix bugs.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Moot points, both of you.

The fact is that they can employ modeling people, artists, animators, and all the things required to make a place like Craglorn look good and also people who can balance PVP and PVE, fix program defects, and make the servers run smoothly, and they are not the same people.

There is no reason to fire anyone. There is no reason to pull them off of an animation job because bugs need to be fixed in the Mac client

As long as ZOS is willing to pay for these lines of effort to be worked on, they can continue in parallel.

The PC memory leak they fixed recently is fixed. I can assure you of that. I don't have a Mac but I recently saw a posting saying the memory leak over there has been fixed, too.

I am not saying that there is no memory leak, but I am saying that they have a track record of fixing memory leaks. If you are seeing a memory leak, and they can find the memory leak, then history demonstrates that they will fix it.

I assume you are on Steam. Can you run the Steam version of ESO without getting Steam involved? Maybe something in the Steam integration is causing a leak. If it is happening to a lot of people, they will be able to find the problem and fix it. In the mean time, run ESO without Steam, if possible, and see if that makes a difference? I am not even sure if you can run a Steam purchased ESO account from a non-Steam version of the game.
    ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • heyguyslol
    heyguyslol
    ✭✭✭

The fact is that they can employ modeling people, artists, animators, and all the things required to make a place like Craglorn look good and also people who can balance PVP and PVE, fix program defects, and make the servers run smoothly, and they are not the same people.

There is no reason to fire anyone. There is no reason to pull them off of an animation job because bugs need to be fixed in the Mac client

As long as ZOS is willing to pay for these lines of effort to be worked on, they can continue in parallel.

The PC memory leak they fixed recently is fixed. I can assure you of that. I don't have a Mac but I recently saw a posting saying the memory leak over there has been fixed, too.

I am not saying that there is no memory leak, but I am saying that they have a track record of fixing memory leaks. If you are seeing a memory leak, and they can find the memory leak, then history demonstrates that they will fix it.

I assume you are on Steam. Can you run the Steam version of ESO without getting Steam involved? Maybe something in the Steam integration is causing a leak. If it is happening to a lot of people, they will be able to find the problem and fix it. In the mean time, run ESO without Steam, if possible, and see if that makes a difference? I am not even sure if you can run a Steam purchased ESO account from a non-Steam version of the game.

I have a Steam account but I do not use Steam to run ESO.
    @heyguyslol

• heyguyslol
    heyguyslol
    ✭✭✭

The point is this poll represents flawed thinking. Because bugs still exist, it's assumed no effort has been made to fix them. This is not true, and it's not either/or situation when it comes to adding new content.

Either I didn't word my OP accordingly or you are missing the point entirely. My post/poll is not an attempt to get anyone layed off or fired, I wouldn't want that for anyone. I have simply put a poll for players to choose which is more of a priority to them and from the poll it appears that the majority want bugs/exploits/game stability over new content.

My personal choice is I prefer that Zos focus more of their efforts into fixing the game instead of adding new content. Once the game has become more stable and will never be 100% bug free stable then add more content.
    @heyguyslol

• heyguyslol
    heyguyslol
    ✭✭✭

I'm not going to sit here and argue with u about the memory leak but I can assure u that it has not been fixed. I have no reason to say otherwise as I want it fixed so the game client will stop crashing. If it were just my client crashing on one pc then I would suspect my pc but it happens on 4 different pcs that i use and every live streamer I watch also crashes about every 1-2 hours due to this leak.

It's not fixed, sadly.
    @heyguyslol

• JessieColt
    JessieColt
    ✭✭✭✭

World Artist

Responsibilities:

Requirements:

It doesn't.

Well if this info is true then Zos is taking an approach with their employees that most game and film companies don't. Yes I did not actually look at their job description and assumed that a company as large as Zos would follow this same pattern as most large companies do in the industry but if this info is true then it appears they do not. Personally I see this as a mistake on their part and makes it more difficult to balance out priorities for the games development.

Film companies have nothing to do with a Game Company.

Almost every single large scale gaming company or other web company uses in-house employees.

http://www.bioware.com/en/careers/#current-openings

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/careers/index.html

https://www.ubisoftgroup.com/en-us/careers/

• heyguyslol
    heyguyslol
    ✭✭✭

World Artist

Responsibilities:

Requirements:

It doesn't.

Film companies have nothing to do with a Game Company.

Almost every single large scale gaming company or other web company uses in-house employees.

http://www.bioware.com/en/careers/#current-openings

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/careers/index.html

https://www.ubisoftgroup.com/en-us/careers/

I mentioned film company's because they often follow the same employment line when it comes to employing artists. As I said before some film companies such as ILM will contract hire but a lot are just freelance.
    @heyguyslol

• raglau
    raglau
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want my $15 sub going to fixing bugs/exploits/game stabilization instead of new content. .

That is actually the wrong way to look at it. Bugs, exploits, stabilisation should be fixed outside of the subscription. Otherwise we are paying the developer to do something that actually should have been included in the boxed price of the game: a bug-free (near as possible), stable and exploit-proof game.

The sub is for value-add: content.

I don't buy a brand new car then pay them to fix any issues arising that should not be present in a new and paid for product. They do that in their own time, for free, whilst giving me a like for like replacement car. i.e. no cost to me at all, not even consequential.

This is why ZOS are adding new content. If we were all paying a sub and they were just playing catch-up with bugs etc, we'd have told them to stick their sub because they should not have foisted an unfinished game upon us while expecting us to pay each month while they pick up the pieces. So they need to be appearing to deliver something warranting an on-going subscription, and we know that is not bug-fixing because suppliers have to sell working products from day one, as dictated by law in pretty much every country in the world. You don't pay extra to get something to work, that is something done within the supplier's own time.
    Edited by raglau on August 29, 2014 5:47PM
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not going to sit here and argue with u about the memory leak but I can assure u that it has not been fixed. I have no reason to say otherwise as I want it fixed so the game client will stop crashing. If it were just my client crashing on one pc then I would suspect my pc but it happens on 4 different pcs that i use and every live streamer I watch also crashes about every 1-2 hours due to this leak.

It's not fixed, sadly.

Of course not, but to avoid confusion, you should refer to it as your memory leak instead. See, I misunderstood your original comment and what you are experiencing is definitely not what they fixed. If you continue to get your memory leak lumped in with stuff they have already fixed, rather than casting it as a different memory leak, people will get confused.

ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • heyguyslol
    heyguyslol
    ✭✭✭

It's not fixed, sadly.

Of course not, but to avoid confusion, you should refer to it as your memory leak instead. See, I misunderstood your original comment and what you are experiencing is definitely not what they fixed. If you continue to get your memory leak lumped in with stuff they have already fixed, rather than casting it as a different memory leak, people will get confused.

Oh I think I see what your saying now. So I guess it's hard to say which memory leak we have if there are more than one.
    @heyguyslol

• heyguyslol
    heyguyslol
    ✭✭✭
    squicker wrote: »
    I want my $15 sub going to fixing bugs/exploits/game stabilization instead of new content. .

That is actually the wrong way to look at it. Bugs, exploits, stabilisation should be fixed outside of the subscription. Otherwise we are paying the developer to do something that actually should have been included in the boxed price of the game: a bug-free (near as possible), stable and exploit-proof game.

I don't buy a brand new car then pay them to fix any issues arising that should not be present in a new and paid for product. They do that in their own time, for free, whilst giving me a like for like replacement car. i.e. no cost to me at all, not even consequential.

This is why ZOS are adding new content. If we were all paying a sub and they were just playing catch-up with bugs etc, we'd have told them to stick their sub because they should not have foisted an unfinished game upon us while expecting us to pay each month while they pick up the pieces. So they need to be appearing to deliver something warranting an on-going subscription, and we know that is not bug-fixing because suppliers have to sell working products from day one, as dictated by law in pretty much every country in the world. You don't pay extra to get something to work, that is something done within the supplier's own time.

You make a very good point. I think I mentioned in an earlier post that Zos should have waited about 6 more months before releasing because by then i think the game would have been much more stable but obviously not completely bug free and then adding new content would be much more refreshing.
    @heyguyslol

• Pseudonym
    Pseudonym
    ✭✭✭
    They have teams on both. They cannot pile everyone onto one thing at once, that's just not how the industry works.
  • heyguyslol
    heyguyslol
    ✭✭✭
    Pseudonym wrote: »
    They have teams on both. They cannot pile everyone onto one thing at once, that's just not how the industry works.

lol u obviously didn't read the posts.
    Edited by heyguyslol on August 29, 2014 6:01PM
    @heyguyslol

• raglau
    raglau
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You make a very good point. I think I mentioned in an earlier post that Zos should have waited about 6 more months before releasing because by then i think the game would have been much more stable but obviously not completely bug free and then adding new content would be much more refreshing.

It's a bit of a balancing act, on the one hand they only get really good test type data when lots of people are using the system in anger - i.e. they have gone live - and no game of this size will be truly bug free. On the other, in this case I also think the game was released too early. I see a lot of people saying bugs from beta made it into live and there surely were some really destructive bugs at release time. The bank bug, loads of unfinishable quests etc.

I want to say I am not unhappy with the game, I really enjoy it in fact, but yes, I'd have to agree with you, it really feels they should have waited to release this.

As it is, I feel some of the content being released is really a bit of an exercise in trying to validate the fact there is a sub, "look, we're releasing loads of new content, not just fixing the bugs that ought not to have been there anyway!" And that kind of detracts from the excitement about the content, as you say.
    Edited by raglau on August 29, 2014 6:04PM
  • vyndral13preub18_ESO
    vyndral13preub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Whoops. I hate it when i do that.
    Edited by vyndral13preub18_ESO on August 29, 2014 6:04PM
  • Daethz
    Daethz
    ✭✭✭
    At this point there is still an amazingly bad combat exploit, once this specific exploit is fixed, I would change my answer to content.

I have already reported and expressed my opinion on the severity of this issue to ZOS. It is up to them to fix it.
    It really cripples ESO's ability to be a "legit" mmo.
    Waiting, and watching, for the return of Melee Weapons.
    -Subsidiary of The Fighters Guild
  • Akula
    Akula
    ✭✭✭✭
    Zebug wrote: »
    I just haven't had many bugs, other than quest bugs that I'd just put to the side until the next patch would fix them. So voted for content

Yep. Bad poll is just bad.
  • Pseudonym
    Pseudonym
    ✭✭✭
    Pseudonym wrote: »

lol u obviously didn't read the posts.

Perhaps you read something I didn't? Would you care to enlighten me?
  • heyguyslol
    heyguyslol
    ✭✭✭
    Daethz wrote: »
    At this point there is still an amazingly bad combat exploit, once this specific exploit is fixed, I would change my answer to content.

I have already reported and expressed my opinion on the severity of this issue to ZOS. It is up to them to fix it.
    It really cripples ESO's ability to be a "legit" mmo.

There are a lot of combat exploits but I didn't want to list them as the trolls would swarm in and derail the purpose of this poll. Every class has some sort of combat exploit and the only one I see being fixed is the Sorc Volatile Familiar which was bandaid patched not to long ago but is being officially fixed in p1.4. But yes that is also one of the reasons why I choose bugs over content.
    Edited by heyguyslol on August 29, 2014 6:24PM
    @heyguyslol

• vyndral13preub18_ESO
    vyndral13preub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    KariTR wrote: »
    Only one game-stopping bug encountered in 5 months and I found a workaround very quickly on the CS forums. Naturally I would opt for more content please.

I do both PVE and PVP, while doing both I have found that the PVE content to be less buggy. However, while doing pvp I have found the game to be very buggy and full of class specific exploits that are very frustrating while playing.

If I were just a pve player I would probably vote for more content but I'm not I do both and until Zos can fix the foundation of the game adding more content just seems to add more bugs and exploits. Imo fix the game to about 90% functionality and then add more content.

So PvE was fine. And you even say if you were just a pve'er you would have probably voted more content, and yet you feel they should have waited 6 months before they released new PVE content. I guess that doesn't make much sense to me.

Editz cause i cant speel.
    Edited by vyndral13preub18_ESO on August 29, 2014 6:26PM
  • heyguyslol
    heyguyslol
    ✭✭✭
    KariTR wrote: »
    Only one game-stopping bug encountered in 5 months and I found a workaround very quickly on the CS forums. Naturally I would opt for more content please.

I do both PVE and PVP, while doing both I have found that the PVE content to be less buggy. However, while doing pvp I have found the game to be very buggy and full of class specific exploits that are very frustrating while playing.

If I were just a pve player I would probably vote for more content but I'm not I do both and until Zos can fix the foundation of the game adding more content just seems to add more bugs and exploits. Imo fix the game to about 90% functionality and then add more content.

So PvE was fine. And you even say if you were just a pve'er you would have probably voted more content, and yet you feel they should have waited 6 months before they released new PVE content. I guess that doesn't make much sense to me.

Editz cause i cant speel.

PVE still has a lot of problems and its 4 months in so waiting 6 more months for release imo would have been a better dev choice. Make sense now? I do apologize but I'm not the best at explanations sometimes.
    Edited by heyguyslol on August 29, 2014 6:28PM
    @heyguyslol

• vyndral13preub18_ESO
    vyndral13preub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry misread lets try this again.

What is a lot of problems? How do you judge? And who does? Do we all vote? Do the developers sit in a circle and pass the pipe? Do they pick up the phoneand call you at home and ask your opinion?

What if 6 months in pve still has 'a lot of problems'. Do they just keep not releasing content? There is no magic time frame. 3 years from now you would still be sitting there pondering are the bugs we have to many.

And well since you yourself said in the first quote pve was doing ok, if i were them id take your advice and keep releasing pve content.
    Edited by vyndral13preub18_ESO on August 29, 2014 6:38PM