The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Chat Messages and Spamming

Maverick827
Maverick827
✭✭✭✭✭
I'm working on an addon for displaying boss strategies in dungeons.

Obviously, a large portion of this addon would be relaying said strategies in group chat for people who might not have the addon installed. You walk up to a boss, press a button, and everyone knows what to do. This type of addon is pretty common across MMOs that allow addons.

It doesn't look like we have the ability to send chat messages directly, however, which seems pretty silly since anyone who would want to abuse such a system to spam could easily do it without ESO mods, but I digress.

I initially planned to just have a button start firing off a few group chat messages automatically, but now I'm testing a workaround:

The button uses the CHAT_SYSTEM:StartTextEntry() method to put in the first bit of text (it's split up into chunks to fit the max length for chat entries) into the chat window. It then registers a handler for the EVENT_CHAT_MESSAGE_CHANNEL event. The handler looks for messages from the player themselves (e.g., the first part of the strategy that they just submitted), and when it finds one, it puts in the next bit in the chat window. Repeat for the rest of the total message. Unregister the event at the end.

I wanted to check in and see if there was any potential negative ramifications of implementing something like this.

Does Zenimax have any sort of auto-spam detection that might flag a player of spamming? If someone uses my addon, and a hypothetically vindictive group member reports them for spamming, would the people working on that ticket be able to tell that the person wasn't spamming gold selling websites, obscenities, or anything malicious and not issue a punishment? Or would they just look at the time stamps and say "well, he sent four chat messages in one second, throw the book at him!"

Thanks.
  • zgrssd
    zgrssd
    ✭✭✭✭
    Atlas does this already, but afaik it is not working for Vet Dungeons.

The main issues is that addons cannot send chat messages, only prepare them (so the user can commit them via enter).
    Elana Peterson (EU), Dominion, Imperial Sorc, Rune & Alchemy Crafting Char
    Leonida Peterson (EU), Daggerfall, Kajiit Nightblade, Tank & main Crafter
    Kurga Peterson (EU), Ebonhart, Ork Dragonknight, Provision Mule
    Coldblood Peterson (EU) Argonian Templer, Daggerfall, Healer
    Incendia Peterson (EU), Dominion, Dunmer Dragonknight, fire DPS & healer
    Haldor Belendor (EU), Ebonhart, Breton Sorcerer, Tank
    Fuliminictus Peterson (EU), Ebonhart, Altmer Sorcerer, Electric DPS

Me babbling about PvE roles and Armor, Short Guide to Addon Programming (for Programmers)

If you think anything I or somebody else said violates the Rules of this Forum, you are free to flag my posts. Till I get any notifcaion from this, I just asume you know you have no case against me or Zenimax disagrees with you.
  • Maverick827
    Maverick827
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you sure? I don't see anything about strategies in that Atlas description, and a quick glance over the code doesn't show anything like that, either.

I've already have the workaround written, I just need to know if sending 4 - 5 paragraphs within a few seconds could have any negative effects on a person's account due to spamming (this only works in group chat).
  • zgrssd
    zgrssd
    ✭✭✭✭
    Are you sure? I don't see anything about strategies in that Atlas description, and a quick glance over the code doesn't show anything like that, either.

I've already have the workaround written, I just need to know if sending 4 - 5 paragraphs within a few seconds could have any negative effects on a person's account due to spamming (this only works in group chat).
    There seems to be some sort of spam detection system. I and friends have been kicked to login screen for "exceeding message limit".
    It especially happened in the second phase of Selenes Web final fight.

But those always were cases where we had not used the chat for a minute. So we can't be sure if it was a bug or a fallback error message.
    Elana Peterson (EU), Dominion, Imperial Sorc, Rune & Alchemy Crafting Char
    Leonida Peterson (EU), Daggerfall, Kajiit Nightblade, Tank & main Crafter
    Kurga Peterson (EU), Ebonhart, Ork Dragonknight, Provision Mule
    Coldblood Peterson (EU) Argonian Templer, Daggerfall, Healer
    Incendia Peterson (EU), Dominion, Dunmer Dragonknight, fire DPS & healer
    Haldor Belendor (EU), Ebonhart, Breton Sorcerer, Tank
    Fuliminictus Peterson (EU), Ebonhart, Altmer Sorcerer, Electric DPS

Me babbling about PvE roles and Armor, Short Guide to Addon Programming (for Programmers)

If you think anything I or somebody else said violates the Rules of this Forum, you are free to flag my posts. Till I get any notifcaion from this, I just asume you know you have no case against me or Zenimax disagrees with you.
  • Garkin
    Garkin
    ✭✭✭

Strategies was in different addon - VeteranBosses. But I'm not sure if this addon still works as it wasn't updated for the new patch yet.
    Garkin / EU / CSF guild
    My addons: SkyShards, LoreBooks, Dustman, Map Coordinates, No, thank you, ... (full list)
    I'm taking care of: Azurah - Interface Enhanced, Srendarr - Aura, Buff & Debuff Tracker and more
    My folder with updated/modified addons: DROPBOX
  • Maverick827
    Maverick827
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Garkin wrote: »

Strategies was in different addon - VeteranBosses. But I'm not sure if this addon still works as it wasn't updated for the new patch yet.
    Yeah, I saw that addon, but felt I could make something more to my liking that I knew was updated, working, and I could modify when I wanted to.
  • Maverick827
    Maverick827
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm working on this mod again and it would be great to get an official answer from Zenimax.

Are there systems in place that would penalize someone for using a mod that posts 5+ messages to group chat in a short amount of time?

• Gillysan
    Gillysan
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm working on this mod again and it would be great to get an official answer from Zenimax.

Are there systems in place that would penalize someone for using a mod that posts 5+ messages to group chat in a short amount of time?
    You need to flag your own post or submit a support email through the main website.

I highly doubt that 5 entries of text would get you banned. Especially if you put a 3 second delay between entries.

You might consider making a book like addon similiar to Harven's Quest Journal. An index sorted by region(zone) then bosses in that zone. A Monster Compendium.
    Edited by Gillysan on November 13, 2014 1:38AM