Maintenance for the week of September 16:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) – 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

What year does ESO take place in?

Neizir
Neizir
✭✭✭✭✭
I know it takes place in either 2E 582 or 2E 583, but which year exactly? Many lore sources say 582, but many other sources also say 583.
Neizir Stormstrider

EU Megaserver

UK
▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬
I have a fancy signature.
▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬
  • stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it starts in 582, but your leveling through the VR ranks takes so long it's 583 before you are done. :)
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Intro cutscene says 582, but some sources (such as Chronicles of the Five Companions), says the Soulburst "four years ago" occurred in 579, making it now 583. Personally I would go with 582.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • jrgray93
    jrgray93
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The year of the inferno staff, according to the Dunmer zodiac calendar.
    EP: Slania Isara : Harambe Was an Inside Job
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The real question is whether, as players progress in the game, it is the same date for everyone...

Is time measured by the number of in-game days that the player, or character, has participated in, or is it measured from the start of the Early Access period and is the same for everyone?

This is all rhetorical. There is no such thing in the game as in-game time and date, at least last time I looked.

I suspect, however, that time starts with the creation of the character, not the server, and progresses from there in a manner that is not contiguous.

So, two characters standing next to each other in the game likely have different dates from the Tamriel calendar, assuming we could know such a thing, even if they were created at the same time of the same day by our real world measurement of time.
    ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Makkir
    Makkir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am confident the answer to your question is chicken bacon ranch
  • jrgray93
    jrgray93
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Makkir wrote: »
    I am confident the answer to your question is chicken bacon ranch

I'm hungry.

Also, on topic, this conversation raises an interesting point about MMOs and the nature of time in them. It's like we can't really have a single fixed time progression, but really must just set a time period as each player is experiencing different events along the timeline.
    EP: Slania Isara : Harambe Was an Inside Job
  • nicholaspingasb16_ESO
    nicholaspingasb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    2E 582, 2E 896 being when Tiber Septim completes his conquest of Tamriel. so they have about 300 years to work with (of course, the alliances weren't around when Tiber conquered Tamriel so they probably have a few decades less than that)

the important thing is that they have a huge, undocumented gap in history to work with for future expansions and updates. :)
    Sanguine's Beta Tester

• Azzuria
    Azzuria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Half past a Kajiit's arse and a quarter 'til an Altmer.

Damn the Dominion!!
    Brunhilda Icehammer - Nord Dragonknight, 'Smith & Enchantress 'What is 'ranged? I need to hit something!!'
    Laehl Direthorn - Bosmer Nightblade, Purveyor of fine Clothes, Bows and Staves
    Reeza gra-Zuni - Orc Templar 'War Shaman' and Apothecary
    Noemi Snowpaw - Kajiit Dragon Knight - I laugh... or I'd have to kill you.
    Kitera Dreamon - Breton of The Dominion: Because those Daggers don't appreciate a great Mage.
    Lysara Shadowcroft - Dunmer Bloodmage: This will only hurt a lot.
  • ConvictedRambo
    1E 0 First Era begins when King Eplear founds the Camoran Dynasty

1E 221 The first Nordic king, Harald, dies at the age of 108, his son, Hjalmer, takes the throne soon after

1E 242 The first empire of Cyrodiil is formed, the Alessian Empire

1E 420 Olaf One-Eye becomes High King of Skyrim

1E 420 Dwemer establish Volenfell as their capital city

1E 668 Red Mountain erupts for the first time in Vvardenfell, blotting out the sun for an entire year.

1E 700 The Dwemer people disappear suddenly around this time

1E 803 The Redguard people arrive from their homeland and settle around Daggerfall

1E 2703 The Akavir continent attacks Tamriel. Their army is later defeated

1E 2809 First reported sighting of a Dragon in Skyrim after many years of their absence

1E 2812 Alduin's Wall begins construction to record Draconic Lore

1E 2871 Krahjatdaan is slayed, marking the first dragon death

1E 2920 Last recorded event of the First Era, Morag Tong assassinates the current King of Cyrodiil, King
    Reman III.

2E 0 At an early, undetermined time, the Dark Brotherhood is formed

2E 184 A second dragon is slain in Skyrim, Grahkrindrog

2E 230 Vanus Galerion forms The Mages Guild

2E 309 The province of Elsweyr is formed after a pact between feuding factions is made

2E 321 Guilds act is passed, sanctioning many guilds

2E 321 The Fighters Guild is formed

2E 583 Events of Elder Scrolls Online take place

2E 830 Tiber Septim is born

2E 864 The Elder Scrolls Adventures: Redguard takes place

2E 882 Dagoth Ur and the Ash Vampires awaken in Morrowind

2E 895 Tiber Septim, also known as Talos, begins conquering Tamriel

2E 897 Tiber Septim declares the Second Era over

3E 38 Tiber Septim's rule of the land ends

3E 111 The Knights of the Nine are formed by Sir Amiel Lannus

3E 127 In return for their allegiance, the Empire gives independence to nearly all provinces under Empire
    control

3E 131 The Knights of the Nine are disbanded

3E 153 Sir Amiel, last of the Knights of the Nine, dies. He leaves a note telling where to find their legendary armor.

3E 172 The events of Elder Scrolls Legends: Battlespire

3E 370 The Eternal Champion is born, the protagonist of Elder Scrolls: Arena

3E 375 The protagonist of Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall is born

3E 399 The events of Elder Scrolls: Arena takes place

3E 401 A Daggerfell census confirms that there are 110,000 in the capital city at this time

3E 405 The events of Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall take place

3E 417 Dagoth Ur begins to capture settlements

3E 417 Minions of Dagoth Ur defeat Almalexia and Sotha Sil in battle

3E 427 The events of Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind take place

3E 428 The events of Elder Scrolls III: Tribunal take place

3E 429 The events of Elder Scrolls III: Bloodmoon take place

3E 431 The Mages Guild goes through major changes during this time

3E 433 The events of Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion takes place

3E 433 During the Oblivion Crisis, Martin Septim sacrifices himself and the Amulet of the Kings to banish Mehrunes Dagon from Tamriel

3E 433 The Third Era comes to an end with the close of the Oblivion Crisis

4E 1 The events of the Fourth Era begin with the events of the Knights of the Nine DLC for Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

4E 5 Baar Dau, the meteor suspended above Vivec City in Morrowind falls to the ground, destroying the city and causing Red Mountain to erupt, ravaging the island of Vvardenfell

4E 16 High King of Skyrim gives Solstheim to the Dunmer to aid them after the Red Mountain eruption

4E 22 The Thalmor gain power and take over ruling Summerset Isle as the Aldmeri Dominion

4E 29 The Thalmor take over the Valenwood

4E 171 The Aldmeri Dominion attack Cyrodiil and Hammerfell, the provinces slowly begin to fall to their power

4E 175 After years of war, Cyrodiil signs a treaty with the Aldmeri Dominion. The people must give up worshiping Talos and Hammerfell is no longer an Imperial province

4E 175 The Elder Scrolls disappear from the Imperial City through unknown means

4E 201 The events of Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, and all DLC take place
    Edited by ConvictedRambo on June 21, 2015 7:20PM
    "Live free, or die trying."
    XBOX ONE
    GT:
    WAR DADDY RAMBO
  • notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ConvictedRambo - Info source? Banners war begins in 582, which is a major focus of ESO.
  • notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enodoc wrote: »
    Intro cutscene says 582, but some sources (such as Chronicles of the Five Companions), says the Soulburst "four years ago" occurred in 579, making it now 583. Personally I would go with 582.

http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/game-guide/story

Main website page, Soulburt is 578 + 4 years 582
  • ConvictedRambo
    Enodoc wrote: »

http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/game-guide/story

Main website page, Soulburt is 578 + 4 years 582

582 or 583, doesn't make too much of a difference. I think ES wiki and IGN were my sources for the timeline.
    "Live free, or die trying."
    XBOX ONE
    GT:
    WAR DADDY RAMBO
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I personally believe ZOS needs to go ahead and establish what a year in ESO is. Give us a date. Give us a day. Give us a year... and allow the time to tick on. In my concept here:

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/171830/day-length-adjustment-holiday-implementation-concept

In my concept a Tamrielic year would last 5 real-world months. So, let's say they start this counting in Jan 2016 and that is the beginning of 583. There is 312 years until Tiber Septim begins his conquest of Tamriel. This would be 1560 real world months or... 130 years, which would be the year 2146. hehe.

Now, this is with a 10 hour day. If ZOS were to establish a shorter day (5 or 7 hours, something that 24 is not divisible by), the years would go by much more quickly.

The POINT is, establishing the year and time passage in ESO won't in any way negatively impact ESO. In fact... it can only serve to make the game a more interesting and appealing place.

To look at it another way, if ESO lasts 10 years, with a 5 month year, only 24 in-game years will have passed.

Edited by Gidorick on June 21, 2015 7:45PM
    What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
  • theroyalestpythonnub18_ESO
    Abnur says the year is 2E582 in the fourth entry of The Chronicles of the five companions. I don't think the Chronicles ever mention the exact year the Soulburst took place.

The Chorrol Crier makes it seem as though the Soulburst has already happened and the first entry is dated as the first month of 2E579. I'm assuming it happened late in 2E578.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd assumed it was set in our year 2016 and that this was the reason ZOS were holding back till then on additional content as they didn't want to be seen to jump the gun :smiley: !
  • Saucy_Jack
    Saucy_Jack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The discrepancy of the date of ESO isn't what bothers me.

It's the fact that by the time the events of ESO are happening, the dwemer civilization has been gone for roughly 2800 years. And instead of treating dwemer constructs and ruins like the archaeological treasures they are, we're all gallavanting around, smashing every centurion and spider we see like a bunch of frickin'-frack barbarians!

giphy.gif
    ALL HAIL SNUGGLORR THE MAGNIFICENT, KING OF THE RNG AND NIRN'S ONE TRUE GOD! Also, become a Scrub-scriber! SJ Scrubs: Playing games badly to make you feel better about yourself.
  • Juhasow
    Juhasow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    2020 , You're welcome.
    Edited by Juhasow on March 23, 2020 2:41AM
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just edit the TST clock addon to always show 2E582. That's what the game (I think) presupposes, and that just works for me. Yeah, the clock is going to go wacko at some point.

I'll edit the addon again when it gets to that place.
  • Watchdog
    Watchdog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saucy_Jack wrote: »
    giphy.gif

How fitting for this awesome specimen of 2015 threadomancy. :p
    Member of Alith Legion: https://www.alithlegion.com
  • Chicharron
    Chicharron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    something I don't understand is why everything looks the same in ESO and Skyrim, same buildings same clothes same technology.

in hundreds of years nothing evolved.
  • bearbelly
    bearbelly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The current date, in-game, as per the ClockTST add-on is 2E 606. (TST = Tamriel Standard Time)

uUBVPkb.png