The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Disable C1e may help audio issues

RinaldoGandolphi
RinaldoGandolphi
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
I updated my BIOS a few weeks ago to solve an issue with my raid array. I noticed though that sounds seemed out of sync in eso sometimes. Sounds playing a few secs after using an ability,etc.

so I poked around my BIOS this morning and found C1e was enabled. It must have gotten reset because I disabled it because it can cause high DPC latency which can really effect sound cards and drivers.

disabling C1E resolved the sound sync issues.

C1E stands for Enhanced Halt State. Most Intel and AMD CPU have it, but its not part of the official ACPI standard. It lowers CPU clock and vcore while idle, and also does power gating which shuts off CPU cores. AMD implementation of C1E differs from Intel version because AMD also puts the CPU to Northbridge, CPU to chipset, CPU to ram into a lower power sleep state as well.

so, go into your BIOS and find C1E and disable it.

do not disable AMD Cool n' Quiet/ AMD Power Now or Intel Speed Step Technology/ Intel EIST

leaving those on will ensure your CPU drops vcore and CPU clocks when the system is not doing anything.

C1E is safe to disable because the system still has C1 power state which is required by ACPI spec to put the CPU in stop clock state when needed.

C1E has been known to cause DPC latency and in some cases even affects ssd performance in some situations you can google to fund out more.

so try Disabling C1E in your BIOS and see if it helps with sound issues, if it don't then you can re-enable it if you want.

this seemed to helped my out of sync sound issues a good bit, I hope this little tip will help someone else as well. Take care :)

P.S: sorry for any typos, posting this from my phone.
Rinaldo Gandolphi-Breton Sorcerer Daggerfall Covenant
Juste Gandolphi Dark Elf Templar Daggerfall Covenant
Richter Gandolphi - Dark Elf Dragonknight Daggerfall Covenant
Mathias Gandolphi - Breton Nightblade Daggerfall Covenant
RinaldoGandolphi - High Elf Sorcerer Aldmeri Dominion
Officer Fire and Ice
Co-GM - MVP

Sorcerer's - The ONLY class in the game that is punished for using its class defining skill (Bolt Escape)

"Here in his shrine, that they have forgotten. Here do we toil, that we might remember. By night we reclaim, what by day was stolen. Far from ourselves, he grows ever near to us. Our eyes once were blinded, now through him do we see. Our hands once were idle, now through them does he speak. And when the world shall listen, and when the world shall see, and when the world remembers, that world will cease to be. - Miraak

• Brabok
    Brabok
    ✭✭✭
    Good call and well done on explaining what those things do rather than just saying "do this"

Never argue with Idiots
    They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
  • Tashira
    Tashira
    ✭✭✭
    Good call and well done on explaining what those things do rather than just saying "do this"

Yep. TESO tech support answer is just do because we asked.... It is especially annoying when the person playing the game knows more than the agent in tech support....

I will admit I have gotten one or two who actually know what they are talking about .. but the majority is reading a quick list oh look this kind of matches ... so do this
  • Auric_ESO
    Auric_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well to be fair do you know how expensive and hard to do getting 100s of people that know more than the upper half of what most gamers know? Your first tier kinda has to be trainable noobs unless you're willing to pay a fortune. Second tier has to be paid a lot more and much more knowledgeable but can't answer every call. It's a balancing act
    "The purpose of training is to tighten up the slack, toughen the body, and polish the spirit." Morihei Ueshiba
  • Tashira
    Tashira
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed but you kind of have people who at least know something about games and technology....
  • NoirJ
    NoirJ
    ✭✭✭
    Auric_ESO wrote: »
    Well to be fair do you know how expensive and hard to do getting 100s of people that know more than the upper half of what most gamers know? Your first tier kinda has to be trainable noobs unless you're willing to pay a fortune. Second tier has to be paid a lot more and much more knowledgeable but can't answer every call. It's a balancing act
    Depends on where you hire, 1st line support shouldn't be called noobs either, you're thinking more along the lines of the log and flog call centres. They are the ones with the scripts. I would also suggest that most gamers don't know as much as they think they do....
  • theyancey
    theyancey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that this is an issue mainly for AMD chips and older Intel ones. Current i5-i7 CPUs would not benefit. Good heads up for the people having problems with this though.
  • Tashira
    Tashira
    ✭✭✭
    NoirJ wrote: »
    Depends on where you hire, 1st line support shouldn't be called noobs either, you're thinking more along the lines of the log and flog call centres. They are the ones with the scripts. I would also suggest that most gamers don't know as much as they think they do....

First off who called them noobs? I think you did... I been working in tech for twenty years... maybe you don't but some of us do know quite a bit

• RinaldoGandolphi
    RinaldoGandolphi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It does effect AMD more then Intel because AMD's implementation if C1E puts the links between CPU to Northbridge, CPU to ram, and CPU to chipset into a low power sleep state that "appears" available to the user.

however, C1E does also introduce DPC latency even on newer Intel CPU as well due to how power gating works.

power gating works by shutting off parts of the CPU including cores, this is fully controlled by the BIOS no drivers are needed for C1E to do its magic. When the OS issues a cpu-stop clock, the CPU enters C1E instead of the standard C1 state.

in C1 the cores are still turned on, they are just at a lower clock and vcore, but they are ready to service requests, in C1E they are put into lower power state sleep and shut off (power gating). This is where DPC latency comes into play.

say your playing eso and its using 3 cores, and while core 3 is in CPU stop clock, the OS needs to service something, it will first see core 3 is not shut off, but is idle, it will then use that core without waking the others from C1E. This is what it should do. The problem is now eso needs to play a different sound, but core 3 is now servicing an OS request, so it try's to use core 4, however core 4 is in C1E not C1 which means its turned off and asleep. Now the OS has to wake core 4 up to play the sound and there us a small period of lag while its doing this.

even Intel will benefit from this. The power saving from C1E is very marginal, however cores in C1 are ready to service requests, they are just at a lower clock rate and voltage, they are not asleep/turned off.

Intel users could benefit from turning C1E off as long as they leave Intel speed step/ EIST on they will be fine and have less dpc latency. AMD users just as much as long ad C1E is disabled and AMD Cool n ' Quiet/Power Now is left enabled.

a core in C1state can return to processing instructions instantly, a core in C1E must be woken up first.

C1E was really designed for server applications on systems that are on 24/7/365 days a year where they are not playing multimedia and the power savings benefit can be realized, however for us gamers, it can cause DPC latency which can make speakers and headsets make a humming noise, and audio go out of sync sometimes. I think this is the reason C1E is not part of the ACPI specification....you may dave 2 watts of power consumption leaving it on at the expense of increased DPC latency.

my vote goes to disabling C1E and letting Cool n 'Quiet/Intel speed step hand downclicking and lowering voltages when needed without power gating in such scenarios :)

Rinaldo Gandolphi-Breton Sorcerer Daggerfall Covenant
    Juste Gandolphi Dark Elf Templar Daggerfall Covenant
    Richter Gandolphi - Dark Elf Dragonknight Daggerfall Covenant
    Mathias Gandolphi - Breton Nightblade Daggerfall Covenant
    RinaldoGandolphi - High Elf Sorcerer Aldmeri Dominion
    Officer Fire and Ice
    Co-GM - MVP

Sorcerer's - The ONLY class in the game that is punished for using its class defining skill (Bolt Escape)

"Here in his shrine, that they have forgotten. Here do we toil, that we might remember. By night we reclaim, what by day was stolen. Far from ourselves, he grows ever near to us. Our eyes once were blinded, now through him do we see. Our hands once were idle, now through them does he speak. And when the world shall listen, and when the world shall see, and when the world remembers, that world will cease to be. - Miraak

• NoirJ
    NoirJ
    ✭✭✭
    Tashira wrote: »
    NoirJ wrote: »

First off who called them noobs? I think you did... I been working in tech for twenty years... maybe you don't but some of us do know quite a bit
    Hey there Mr Snappy, its in the quote, you said, "Your first tier kinda has to be trainable noobs unless you're willing to pay a fortune".

Funny I've been in IT for around 20 years too, from 1st to 3rd line support in Wintel, NIX and Networks, moved on to Incident and Change Management and now working as an SDM for a MS Company....so I think I know the industry pretty well by now.

I also still stand by my comment, that Gamers do tend to think they know more than they do. We generally require our first line guys to have something like a CCNA or MCSE or equivalent Nix related cert, then they can get the experience to back those up overtime as they move up to 2nd, 3rd and maybe on to Pre Sales or Product.