Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Post-Patch 1.2.4 Launching ESO Delay ~21sec on 500MB/sec SSD

vyal
vyal
✭✭✭
Prior to patch 1.2.4, I could launch ESO in 5 seconds or less. That is, from launching (from the launcher, or starting the .exe directly) to login, took 5 seconds or less.

Now, after patch 1.2.4, it takes over 20 seconds, by the stopwatch, on the same SSD, nothing else changed, repair has been tried, no difference.

On a second computer with a slightly different SSD (Samsung 840 EVO vs. Intel 520) the problem is the same, and only since this patch was applied.

What did you change, Zenimax, in patch 1.2.4 that is causing such a massive change in just launching the game? This launching delay has changed over time, between patches, and sometimes it's slightly faster or slower depending on the new build/patch, but this is the largest negative change to date.

Not going to go over well, if this is noticed by a larger audience.
  • g4m5t3r_ESO
    g4m5t3r_ESO
    ✭✭
    vyal wrote: »
    but this is the largest negative change to date.

Lol.
    If it fixed Cryodiil I can wait another 15seconds.

While we're at it, can we water down the coffee. It's way OP...
  • vyal
    vyal
    ✭✭✭
    I meant in the context of launch delay, but agreed. ;)
  • vyal
    vyal
    ✭✭✭
    And holy crap, something is affecting character select as well. That used to be 2 seconds, now it takes 10. Good job, Zenimax, keep up the good work. :(

Does every patch have to make things worse? guh.
  • Teevesnacks
    Teevesnacks
    ✭✭✭
    oh look another wild useless thread appears
  • DeLindsay
    DeLindsay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    vyal wrote: »
    Prior to patch 1.2.4, I could launch ESO in 5 seconds or less. That is, from launching (from the launcher, or starting the .exe directly) to login, took 5 seconds or less.

Now, after patch 1.2.4, it takes over 20 seconds, by the stopwatch, on the same SSD, nothing else changed, repair has been tried, no difference.

1st world problems amiright.
  • vyal
    vyal
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, a 400% increase in loading times, who cares right? No-one will notice, and they'll just keep pouring their money blindly into the bottomless subscription pit.

• Darzil
    Darzil
    ✭✭✭
    Worth checking firewall settings. Letting the executables connect (and they may have changed) makes a big difference to speed.

There are a lot of oddities with the way ESO does things though. I'm constantly amazed which things don't spawn yet if you take a fast horse across town. It's as if the client needs the server to tell it where static buildings are, rather than having those locally cached. I can only assume the bandwidth requirement of this game is way above others. Given they are also using TCP which scales badly with distance, rather than UDP (used in video and most other MMOs), for non-critical communication, it is no wonder performance is poor from non US locations.
  • Darzil
    Darzil
    ✭✭✭
    Having said that, yes, also finding hideously slow loading times. Wish they were only 20 seconds. Over 5 minutes and I've not hit the character screen yet. Mind you, I seem to regularly get this for 1-2 days after a patch, and it then clears. I wish I knew what it was doing so I could work out how to help it.
  • vyal
    vyal
    ✭✭✭
    well how about that, the ~75MB stealth patch that took the client to 1.2.4.1015292 reduced loading time back down to eight seconds.

amazing.