The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

VR5 Purple recipe prices out of hand, should be changed to quest or end game raid drop

• kirnmalidus
    kirnmalidus
    ✭✭✭✭
    The purple recipe isn't even as good for most people as one of the blue VR5s. The blues boost only two stats but they boost them more than the purps.
    Life of a Nightblade (Screenshot Tumblr)

Attention Zenimax: Stamina builds don't hold up to magicka builds, and this is causing most of your class imbalance. It makes melee weapons and bows weaker than staves and class abilities. It makes medium and heavy armor less desirable than light armor. Fix this imbalance, and you'll address most of your balance issues.

- @ruze84b14_ESO
  • Fleymark
    Fleymark
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gizzarduk wrote: »
    Fleymark wrote: »
    Gizzarduk wrote: »
    Karmix wrote: »
    But you don't have to get it right? You won't die without it. I don't understand. No one is forcing you to get this one item lol. Relax and it will happen over time. You do not need to log in and out over and over. Just enjoy the game. You'll get it eventually. You're having a heart attack over this item. There should be more items in the game this tough. It's too bad they made the game as easy as it is.

Just forget about it for a day or two and have fun playing. Someone in your guild will loot one eventually. It's just not that major and the blue recipes are better in some circumstances anyway.

No one is having a heart attack over this, again my view of fun clearly differs from yours, as it doesn't include going into every building and opening every container I can find. I'd much rather be working towards this either via quests or end game content.

Promoting a system that is currently rewarding bots/gold sellers and buyers is no good for the game, only the people who can cash in on their lottery win.

Translation: "I can't be bothered to do what is necessary to acquire rare, entirely optional, items so I'm going to ask you to change the game to fit my personal preferences. Oh and not doing so helps botters and gold sellers. Witch hunt buzzwords! Witch hunt buzzwords! Bad! Bad!"

Where do these people come from? I've never seen more entitled whiners in one place than this game. And indignant about it, on top of it.

I've never seen a purple recipe, either, and would like to, but this is something that is entirely appropriate being super rare. Guess we better start farming if we want them, eh?

Clearly you took the time to read all the posts before jumping in, at no time did I say make it easier or give me now. Simply to make them drop from something that is earned not logging in and out which is how all the ones I have seen going for millions have been obtained. Think I will leave this thread to the trolls now.

Yes, of course, I'm a troll because I'm not saying what you want to hear.

By the way, the people I've talked to in game who have purple recipes Saud they got them from chests in dungeons.

I'm curious if there are specific drop rules for these or if they are just super rare and totally random.

• Maverick827
    Maverick827
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The purple recipe isn't even as good for most people as one of the blue VR5s. The blues boost only two stats but they boost them more than the purps.
    Tanks need all three stats, so purple recipes are pretty valuable for them.
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just think they should make the purple drop slightly less rare for recipes, or allow a small chance to get one from hireling if your provisioning is ranked at max.
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
  • The_Death_Princess
    The_Death_Princess
    ✭✭✭
    What you dont remember the patch notes (no I am not going looking for it) where they mentioned reducing the availability to help combat the gold farmers (pre annihilation this was one of their gold making tools).
    Astaria Dødfurstinna
    Official Hunter Community Lead DAOC
    (Pendragon Beta through Catacombs release)
    Look at this but dont QQ: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/hfxYcf
  • Maverick827
    Maverick827
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What you dont remember the patch notes (no I am not going looking for it) where they mentioned reducing the availability to help combat the gold farmers (pre annihilation this was one of their gold making tools).
    It still is. The demand didn't decrease, so the price increased.

Really, it was just an amateur decision on Zenimax's part. It was obvious to anyone who's played an MMO before what would happen.
  • Snit
    Snit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate the fact that, to get one of these, you have to play like a farmer. Days on end of relogging in a building to search the same containers on end do not make for good gameplay.

These recipes should have a significantly boosted droprate in the tougher dungeons. Give us a reasonable chance to acquire one through normal, challenging gameplay.
    Snit AD Sorc
    Ratbag AD Warden Tank
    Goblins AD Stamblade

• maczcoobb16_ESO
    has anyone actually found a purple vr5 food recipe lately? i have farmed ALOT and haven't found a purple recipe yet. To be honest i don't even find too many blue recipes. It's mostly greens and then i have to wait 10 minutes just so i can find the next one. I never see people selling the recipes, there are maybe 2 people selling the food that's it. BTW this is on EU in case this makes any difference.
  • mqlaurenceb14_ESO
    mqlaurenceb14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    tl;dr, responding to OP:
    IMO leave the rarity alone, it's supposed to be hard to find. One going for a million gold....sounds like the problem is player population, not item rarity. Good luck :)
  • Hamfast
    Hamfast
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have no problem banning people buying and selling Gold for Cash, I also have no problem with players making gold, I have no problem with players are spending gold...

That being said, anyone who thinks putting things like Rare motifs and Recipes as quest rewards or Boss Drops are not thinking well... Bosses are farmed to get the rare drops they have but don't always drop... except now there is a global timer on Boss Loot drops...

I would agree to a rearrangement of loot drop chances so that containers in Group Dungeons have a higher chance to drop the rarest of the Rare items, not that it will stop people from farming them for sale...

Personally, I think anything that makes it harder for players to get an item is a poor way to fight those that farm items to sell for cash, those that sell them for in game gold is just another way to play... like PvP, Grinding, running around Kenarthi's roost killing alits for several hours a day... you can play those ways if you like, or not, I don't care much.

Play as you like and let others play as they wish, the only time it matters is when your or my style of play interferes with the play style of others... or vice versa.
    Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most...
  • LonePirate
    LonePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    IMO leave the rarity alone, it's supposed to be hard to find.

Is this an opinion or is it based on an official statement from ZOS? I can find a purple motif book once or twice a day if I put forth the effort. I am averaging a purple recipe every six weeks. There is something wrong with the drop rate of purple recipes even using ZOS' standards of rarity.
  • Maverick827
    Maverick827
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've farmed for about 4 hours so far, opening about 1600 containers/hour. All I've gotten is one Ancient Elf motif.
  • Fleymark
    Fleymark
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After playing for 2 months and farming pretty much non-stop for about a week, now, I finally got my first purple recipe drop yesterday. Was a v5 drink.

I'm a provisioner on my main but doing it over again on an alt to spread out the crafting load...When I finish research on the other crafts I plan to respec out of that and provisioning on the main. Stopped levelling the alt at 12 to farm the 10 and 12 blue recipes...I figure if I'm going to roll an alt might as well go for a full recipe book to break things up some.

What's been astounding to me is it only took a few days of farming to get all of the blue and green 50 and v5 recipes (including enough repeats where I now have all but 3 blues on the main too), and in the week I've been farming I've gotten multiple primal and barbaric motifs, finally got my imperial motif for the main, and got a purple recipe, but I'm still only about halfway with the blue 10 and 15 recipes. This isn't helped by starting to get repeats and getting more motifs than recipe drops. These low level blues aren't as rare as purples, but man they are really freaking rare, I'm finding.

Actually, after getting my purple, I wanted to ask....are they all the same for each level, just the ingredients are different? I'm wondering if people actually use more than one for each teir or given their value do most people sell them once they have one?
    Edited by Fleymark on July 5, 2014 3:49PM
  • Maverick827
    Maverick827
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After a few more hours of farming, I've gotten a Daedric motif and another ancient elf.

No epic recipe yet. I'd say I've opened about 10,000 containers so far.

Edit: I've also only gotten one blue recipe.
    Edited by Maverick827 on July 5, 2014 1:53AM
  • Maverick827
    Maverick827
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm at about 8 - 9 hours of farming across two days and I've gotten:

- 2 Blue recipes
    - 3 Ancient Elf motifs
    - 1 Daedric motif
  • Maverick827
    Maverick827
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've switched from tracking hours to just tracking containers more accurately.

Today wasn't a great day for drops. In 100 runs of 21 containers, meaning 2,100 containers opened, I only got 1 blue crafting recipe.
  • Fleymark
    Fleymark
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You might want to keep track of time also. Based on what I'm observing with both motifs and recipes time appears to be an element.
  • Haewk
    Haewk
    ✭✭✭
    Someone was selling 2 different purple recipes in chat yesterday for 850K a piece.
  • DeLindsay
    DeLindsay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw several VR5 Epic Recipes for sale on EU today for 24-35K each. Although I still think that's a high number (for me) that's certainly not unreasonable. In fact there was a chat battle going on as to who would drop to the lowest asking price.
    Edited by DeLindsay on July 7, 2014 10:42PM
  • Maverick827
    Maverick827
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DeLindsay wrote: »
    I saw several VR5 Epic Recipes for sale on EU today for 24-35K each. Although I still think that's a high number (for me) that's certainly not unreasonable. In fact there was a chat battle going on as to who would drop to the lowest asking price.
    They were probably drink recipes which are useless and thus not worth nearly as much.
  • DeLindsay
    DeLindsay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They were probably drink recipes which are useless and thus not worth nearly as much.

I'm sorry I will be much more clear this time...

I saw several VR5 FOOD Epic Recipes for sale on EU today for 24-35K each. And quite to the contrary it seems to be the Consummate Drink recipe that goes for the highest amount on both NA and EU.
  • Maverick827
    Maverick827
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw several VR5 FOOD Epic Recipes for sale on EU today for 24-35K each. And quite to the contrary it seems to be the Consummate Drink recipe that goes for the highest amount on both NA and EU.
    This is factually incorrect, at least for NA.

I don't know what you guys are doing over there in the EU, but it's not correct.
  • DeLindsay
    DeLindsay
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know what you guys are doing over there in the EU, but it's not correct.

Mmk then, the recent post about an Epic Recipe being listed for 900K was on EU and was in FACT the Consummate Drink recipe. I started on NA with 5-day early access and for the past 3 weeks have played both Servers every single day. The prices for most things are nearly identical, with EU being slightly more expensive usually.
  • Maverick827
    Maverick827
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Mmk then, the recent post about an Epic Recipe being listed for 900K was on EU and was in FACT the Consummate Drink recipe. I started on NA with 5-day early access and for the past 3 weeks have played both Servers every single day. The prices for most things are nearly identical, with EU being slightly more expensive usually.
    Anyone can list any item at any price. Anyone can advertise any item at any price.

VR5 epic food recipes are extremely rare and extremely useful and are worth large amounts of money.

VR5 epic drink recipes are extremely rare but not useful at all and are not worth large amounts of money.
  • DeLindsay
    DeLindsay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone can list any item at any price. Anyone can advertise any item at any price.

VR5 epic food recipes are extremely rare and extremely useful and are worth large amounts of money.

VR5 epic drink recipes are extremely rare but not useful at all and are not worth large amounts of money.

Awesome, doesn't change the FACT that multiple VR5 and at least one level 50 Epic FOOD Recipes were being listed for 24K-35K just today on EU. And as I mentioned, these were different players not all form one dude.
    Edited by DeLindsay on July 7, 2014 11:08PM
  • Maverick827
    Maverick827
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome, doesn't change the FACT that multiple VR5 and at least one level 50 Epic FOOD Recipes were being listed for 24K-35K just today on EU. And as I mentioned, these were different players not all form one dude.
    Obviously those people didn't know what he had and you should have purchased those recipes.
    Edited by Maverick827 on July 7, 2014 11:10PM
  • Pele
    Pele
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just got my first purple recipe today. I don't farm. I don't log in and out constantly. I don't buy gold. I was running to a wayshrine, randomly stopped, and voila. I notice I find things more often when I'm not actively seeking them. ;)

As for the topic, I think their drop rate is fine and should not be a guaranteed drop from a specific boss. That boss would be farmed like mad.
  • Maverick827
    Maverick827
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pele wrote: »
    I just got my first purple recipe today. I don't farm. I don't log in and out constantly. I don't buy gold. I was running to a wayshrine, randomly stopped, and voila. I notice I find things more often when I'm not actively seeking them. ;)

As for the topic, I think their drop rate is fine and should not be a guaranteed drop from a specific boss. That boss would be farmed like mad.
    Convenient opinion from someone who just got one.
  • Unknown_poster
    Unknown_poster
    ✭✭✭

Not just for tanks are they better. At vr12 if you're raiding purple is always the best choice over blue. You're gonna be over cap on health and magicka using sorc as an example. Blue sweetrolls (for me) add a whole 7 more points of magicka and health vs the purple sweetrolls. But you get the full benefit of the stamina. Telling people that you didn't have enough stamina to dodge roll out of the red on the Warrior fight will get you on everyones sh!tlist pretty quick.
  • Pele
    Pele
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pele wrote: »

Convenient opinion from someone who just got one.
    Oh please. Prior to obtaining one, there are other threads where I posted that the drop rate should remain the same. Do think of constructive solutions instead of attacking those who have what you want. Thanks!