Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

DK Tank thoughts please

Dyabolikal
Dyabolikal
✭✭
Main build

SOLO ROLE: Tank/DPS

GROUP ROLE: Tank

ATTRIBUTES: 14 magic 21 health 14 stamina

ARMOUR: 5 heavy 2 light always at level always upgraded to blue. Chest, legs, head, shield increase stamina enchant. arms, shoulders, feet, waist increase magicka enchant.

MAIN WEAPON: Sword and shield upgraded to purple sword has fire damage enchant.

SECONDARY WEAPON: destruction staff

Solo Play

Skills used on main weapon:

Invasion: This is a one handed skill that allows you to charge from a distance and knock a target down stunning them for 3 seconds.

Molten whip: This is an ardent flame ability that causes 105 flame damage and unbalances stunned and immobile targets

Power slam: This is a one handed skill that causes 49 damage and stuns a target for 15 secs.

Fossilize: This is an earthen heart ability that stuns a target for 12 seconds and reduces their magicka health and stamina recovery by 50%.

The last skill slot is a swappable slot depending on the targets the three main skill that are used here are :

Dragon fire scale: This is a Dragonic skill that reflects all spell projectiles for 4 seconds causing an additional 35% damage from the reflected spell

Molten armaments: This is a earthen heart ability that increases weapon damage and adds a 30% critical strike chance for 6 seconds

Green Dragon blood: This is a dragonic skill that restores 33% of missing health and increases health recovery by 40%, and stamina recovery by 30%

Method :

This set up is about controlling the pace of the fight by the use of stuns, I can easily take on mobs of 3 in vet levels with this set up. First both fossilize and power slam can stun for 12 and 15 seconds as each stun is either magic or stamina based I can balance my costs between the two, also both skills stun flying creatures. When I come up to a mob of two or more I designate what targets cause the most harm they are the ones that will be stunned before the fight even starts. They work to the following :

Mages

Melee

Archers/healers

I will fossilize the mage and allow the melee to charge in and then power slam, then I use invasion to close the gap on the archer/healer, followed by a hard attack and molten whip, then another hard attack that knocks the target to the ground and moten whip for more damage, then another hard attack followed by power slam, if the target is still alive after that I repeat the process from the second step. This process takes around ten second to kill the target leaving me with about half magicka and stamina. I then re- fossilize the first target and focus on on the second target, if I find that I am running low by the time I get to the third target I stun lock them either with power bash or fossilize and wait until I reach the minimum required magicka and stamina to finish off the third target.

This process is a methodical way of elimination resulting in very little damage and next to no loss of heath. I will use moten armements to increase damage and critical on standards mobs to speed the process up, I will use dragon fire scale when the mob has two mages to eliminate any damaged caused in the first four seconds from using fossilize to power bashing the melee, I will then charge the second mage and eliminate them using the above method. I will use green dragon blood when facing single target humanoid bosses incase im taken by surprise by a hard hitting attack. This method is very effective as 80-90% of all targets in this game can be stun locked.

Group Play

Burning talons: This is a dragonic skill that immobilizes nearby enemies for four seconds causing dot damage, players can activate an impale synergy that causes additional damage

Fossilize: see above

Inner Beast: This is an undaunted skill and 1 of 2 taunts in the game, this is a ranged taunt that causes a target to attack you for 15 seconds, it creates a 15% chances to create a radiate synergy that causes 55 magic damage to the target then explodes causing 110 damage to nearby targets

Molten armaments: see above

The last skill slot and the first slot is a swappable slot depending on the targets the four main skill that are used here are :

Draw essence: This is a dragonic skill that draws health from 3 targets then explodes causing 55 magic damage to nearby targets, 20% for the damage is gained back in magicka.

Green dragon blood: see above

Unstable flame: This is a Ardent flame skill that causes 55 damage and 181 damage over time damage is increased by 12% the longer the skill is maintained

Dragon fire scale: see above

Method

This is a tank build designed to lock down mobs, stun mob leaders, enhance damage caused by allies, and cause AOE damage while recovering magicka loss. First thing to note is there is no Stamina skills used, as a tank you primary weapon is you shield therefore you do not want to waste any stamina that can be used to keep you alive. Keeping you allies safe is your first task, supporting your allies is you second task, causing damage comes last.

Dealing with mobs:

First thing first it will be very hard to keep aggro on you the 2 taunts you have in the game are single target and cost allot so dont waste your time, the only way as a tank to control the fight is use CC and stun attacks. Each mob has a pack leader your job is to remove him from the fight until the rest of the mob is taken out this is where fossilize comes in.

Determine first who is the mob leader once you work out that tell your allies who it is. Use inner beast to taunt the closest target when they charge in use burning talons to lock them down for 4 seconds, in that time fossilize the pack leader to take him out of the fight for 12 seconds. Continue to lock down the mob with burning talons and use draw essence to cause AOE damage and restore you magicka. Use molten armaments to increase damage and crits for your dps to kill of the mob faster, if it takes more then 12 seconds to clear the mob re-fossilize the pact leader.

Dealing with Adds:

Your role as a tank is to keep the boss on you right ? Yes that is true but adds hit hard and can cause problems for your dps and healer, so take one of the adds out of the fight. While bosses can't be stunned the same rule does not apply to the adds generally there are a couple of adds with a boss flying or ground it does not matter. Choose which add you are going to deal with for me its always the right side and tell your allies to deal with the left add, use fossilize on the add and lock it down for 12 seconds, taunt to boss and defend them out until both adds are dead if it take more then 12 seconds to kill the add re-fossilize the add. Use any skills that allow you to defend if the boss is a magic user make sure you use Dragon fire scale to reflect damage back at the boss.

Dealing with bosses:

Bosses are not easy and cause challenges to you to tank, as they are immune to stuns and most snares its pointless using those skills I use green dragon blood and unstable flame to cause some damage without dropping your shield and using little magicka. I keep the taunt on the boss at all times and try to support my allies with Molten armaments. Most bosses have great tells to allow you to avoid the most crushing attacks its important to keep moving and keeping a small distance so you can avoid. Use green dragon blood when things get dangerous to help the healer out and to recover you stamina quicker. Always have a restore magicka potion if you get to low.

The important thing is to know your target, what they do, and how to neutralize it. Always be flexible with your skills to ensure that you are built correctly for any challenges you face.

Weakness of this build

The build focuses on melee therefore you cant kite the other problem is that you AOE damage is not that great I am currently trying to minimize this with my secondary weapon but still have not got a clear solution to this problem. I am working on a destruction staff to allow for kiting and aoe attacks but with this weapon you lose damage mitigation and requires a play style i'm not used to doing. I would appreciate any advise in how to deal with this weakness.

Thanks in advance

Dya
  • rotatorkuf
    rotatorkuf
    ✭✭✭
    molten armaments is a pretty garbage ability

it only affects light/heavy attacks

igneous weapons better, no comp

invasion is mostly going to be worthless as mobs don't usually run from you, and if you're going up against archers, better off using chains to bring into aoes

single target ccs are mostly useless in pve....why? mob packs and bosses are immune

better off with volcanic rune for CCing

dragon fire scale is great for pvp

i actually use coagulating blood instead of green dragon, cause stamina is a horribly designed stat...and if i run out, i spam igneous weapons (with helping hands passive) to regen stamina, or just use a stamn pot

draw essense is pretty awesome, i have it on my off bar usually
    Edited by rotatorkuf on June 25, 2014 6:32AM
  • Wifeaggro13
    Wifeaggro13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dyabolikal wrote: »
    Main build

SOLO ROLE: Tank/DPS

GROUP ROLE: Tank

ATTRIBUTES: 14 magic 21 health 14 stamina

ARMOUR: 5 heavy 2 light always at level always upgraded to blue. Chest, legs, head, shield increase stamina enchant. arms, shoulders, feet, waist increase magicka enchant.

MAIN WEAPON: Sword and shield upgraded to purple sword has fire damage enchant.

SECONDARY WEAPON: destruction staff

Solo Play

Invasion: This is a one handed skill that allows you to charge from a distance and knock a target down stunning them for 3 seconds.

Molten whip: This is an ardent flame ability that causes 105 flame damage and unbalances stunned and immobile targets

Power slam: This is a one handed skill that causes 49 damage and stuns a target for 15 secs.

Fossilize: This is an earthen heart ability that stuns a target for 12 seconds and reduces their magicka health and stamina recovery by 50%.

The last skill slot is a swappable slot depending on the targets the three main skill that are used here are :

Dragon fire scale: This is a Dragonic skill that reflects all spell projectiles for 4 seconds causing an additional 35% damage from the reflected spell

Molten armaments: This is a earthen heart ability that increases weapon damage and adds a 30% critical strike chance for 6 seconds

Green Dragon blood: This is a dragonic skill that restores 33% of missing health and increases health recovery by 40%, and stamina recovery by 30%

Method :

This set up is about controlling the pace of the fight by the use of stuns, I can easily take on mobs of 3 in vet levels with this set up. First both fossilize and power slam can stun for 12 and 15 seconds as each stun is either magic or stamina based I can balance my costs between the two, also both skills stun flying creatures. When I come up to a mob of two or more I designate what targets cause the most harm they are the ones that will be stunned before the fight even starts. They work to the following :

Mages

Melee

Archers/healers

I will fossilize the mage and allow the melee to charge in and then power slam, then I use invasion to close the gap on the archer/healer, followed by a hard attack and molten whip, then another hard attack that knocks the target to the ground and moten whip for more damage, then another hard attack followed by power slam, if the target is still alive after that I repeat the process from the second step. This process takes around ten second to kill the target leaving me with about half magicka and stamina. I then re- fossilize the first target and focus on on the second target, if I find that I am running low by the time I get to the third target I stun lock them either with power bash or fossilize and wait until I reach the minimum required magicka and stamina to finish off the third target.

This process is a methodical way of elimination resulting in very little damage and next to no loss of heath. I will use moten armements to increase damage and critical on standards mobs to speed the process up, I will use dragon fire scale when the mob has two mages to eliminate any damaged caused in the first four seconds from using fossilize to power bashing the melee, I will then charge the second mage and eliminate them using the above method. I will use green dragon blood when facing single target humanoid bosses incase im taken by surprise by a hard hitting attack. This method is very effective as 80-90% of all targets in this game can be stun locked.

Group Play

Burning talons: This is a dragonic skill that immobilizes nearby enemies for four seconds causing dot damage, players can activate an impale synergy that causes additional damage

Fossilize: see above

Inner Beast: This is an undaunted skill and 1 of 2 taunts in the game, this is a ranged taunt that causes a target to attack you for 15 seconds, it creates a 15% chances to create a radiate synergy that causes 55 magic damage to the target then explodes causing 110 damage to nearby targets

Molten armaments: see above

The last skill slot and the first slot is a swappable slot depending on the targets the four main skill that are used here are :

Draw essence: This is a dragonic skill that draws health from 3 targets then explodes causing 55 magic damage to nearby targets, 20% for the damage is gained back in magicka.

Green dragon blood: see above

Unstable flame: This is a Ardent flame skill that causes 55 damage and 181 damage over time damage is increased by 12% the longer the skill is maintained

Dragon fire scale: see above

Method

This is a tank build designed to lock down mobs, stun mob leaders, enhance damage caused by allies, and cause AOE damage while recovering magicka loss. First thing to note is there is no Stamina skills used, as a tank you primary weapon is you shield therefore you do not want to waste any stamina that can be used to keep you alive. Keeping you allies safe is your first task, supporting your allies is you second task, causing damage comes last.

Dealing with mobs:

First thing first it will be very hard to keep aggro on you the 2 taunts you have in the game are single target and cost allot so dont waste your time, the only way as a tank to control the fight is use CC and stun attacks. Each mob has a pack leader your job is to remove him from the fight until the rest of the mob is taken out this is where fossilize comes in.

Determine first who is the mob leader once you work out that tell your allies who it is. Use inner beast to taunt the closest target when they charge in use burning talons to lock them down for 4 seconds, in that time fossilize the pack leader to take him out of the fight for 12 seconds. Continue to lock down the mob with burning talons and use draw essence to cause AOE damage and restore you magicka. Use molten armaments to increase damage and crits for your dps to kill of the mob faster, if it takes more then 12 seconds to clear the mob re-fossilize the pact leader.

Dealing with Adds:

Your role as a tank is to keep the boss on you right ? Yes that is true but adds hit hard and can cause problems for your dps and healer, so take one of the adds out of the fight. While bosses can't be stunned the same rule does not apply to the adds generally there are a couple of adds with a boss flying or ground it does not matter. Choose which add you are going to deal with for me its always the right side and tell your allies to deal with the left add, use fossilize on the add and lock it down for 12 seconds, taunt to boss and defend them out until both adds are dead if it take more then 12 seconds to kill the add re-fossilize the add. Use any skills that allow you to defend if the boss is a magic user make sure you use Dragon fire scale to reflect damage back at the boss.

Dealing with bosses:

Bosses are not easy and cause challenges to you to tank, as they are immune to stuns and most snares its pointless using those skills I use green dragon blood and unstable flame to cause some damage without dropping your shield and using little magicka. I keep the taunt on the boss at all times and try to support my allies with Molten armaments. Most bosses have great tells to allow you to avoid the most crushing attacks its important to keep moving and keeping a small distance so you can avoid. Use green dragon blood when things get dangerous to help the healer out and to recover you stamina quicker. Always have a restore magicka potion if you get to low.

The important thing is to know your target, what they do, and how to neutralize it. Always be flexible with your skills to ensure that you are built correctly for any challenges you face.

Weakness of this build

The build focuses on melee therefore you cant kite the other problem is that you AOE damage is not that great I am currently trying to minimize this with my secondary weapon but still have not got a clear solution to this problem. I am working on a destruction staff to allow for kiting and aoe attacks but with this weapon you lose damage mitigation and requires a play style i'm not used to doing. I would appreciate any advise in how to deal with this weakness.

Thanks in advance

Dya

In all honesty with all the changes and nerfs to DK . its probably no where near top pick for tanking. i have a VR 12 DK ive tanked him in light and in heavy. He actually tanks better in light as magica is king in this game and can buff himself to 400 past armor cap anyhow.
    The best tank though is my Sorc V5 light armor DPs sets using aegis and lightning storm. 1200 past armor and spell resist caps. really has lead me to this conclusion. there are no tank roles in ESO. there is only DPS and healers. you are either a DPS with a taunt on the bar and maybe Volcanic rune if your group is new to VR content. or a healer with some cc on the bar, As a long time tank im very disappointed in this design. If i wanted to DPS i would have rolled that from the begining but to find out in VR that actually its what i spec for is discouraging.

Armor means nothing is ESO and Stam and melee abilities are so punishing as far as boss mechanics go . you had better just grab a staff put on light armor and become a caster.Its the plain and simple facts. even with the stamina changes and the incremental changes of some of the melee abilites a dual wield or 2 h DPS spec in medium is not a viable choice for DPS in VR content even ,the new VR 12.As for tanking tanked it last night with my DK in light and wished my sorc was VR 12, would have been a better run.
  • Dyabolikal
    Dyabolikal
    ✭✭

In all honesty with all the changes and nerfs to DK . its probably no where near top pick for tanking. i have a VR 12 DK ive tanked him in light and in heavy. He actually tanks better in light as magica is king in this game and can buff himself to 400 past armor cap anyhow.
    The best tank though is my Sorc V5 light armor DPs sets using aegis and lightning storm. 1200 past armor and spell resist caps. really has lead me to this conclusion. there are no tank roles in ESO. there is only DPS and healers. you are either a DPS with a taunt on the bar and maybe Volcanic rune if your group is new to VR content. or a healer with some cc on the bar, As a long time tank im very disappointed in this design. If i wanted to DPS i would have rolled that from the begining but to find out in VR that actually its what i spec for is discouraging.

Armor means nothing is ESO and Stam and melee abilities are so punishing as far as boss mechanics go . you had better just grab a staff put on light armor and become a caster.Its the plain and simple facts. even with the stamina changes and the incremental changes of some of the melee abilites a dual wield or 2 h DPS spec in medium is not a viable choice for DPS in VR content even ,the new VR 12.As for tanking tanked it last night with my DK in light and wished my sorc was VR 12, would have been a better run.

It would seam that way, the problem is that this is my first MMO and I have put a lot of time into this character and I really dont want to start a new character if I focused on using a destruction staff with sword and shield as my main weapon would using a DK still be a viable option.

I really do enjoy tanking even if that truly does exist in this game but if you say that your v12 DK is hard done by are you able to tell me what magic skills I can use or if I really have to look at using a sorc what do I need to do to make him quite viable for tanking.