Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

The Master Craftsman - Evolving ESO to Support End-Game Crafters

Ser Lobo
Ser Lobo
✭✭✭✭✭
Level 50

Many of us who have taken the time to master a crafting profession have come to the end and realized ... there's no benefit. No new passive, no special abilities, nothing of note.

To make Level 50 something to note, I suggestion three things: a nice title and achievement (counts as one thing); a costume sent via mail that reflects that profession; and a new passive.

For Blacksmithing, Woodworking and Clothier, the new passive ability is 'Multiple Traits', and allows players to put two standard traits on any item they craft (requiring the necessary trait stones). This does not allow players to double up on the same trait.

For Provisioners, the new passive ability is 'Artisan's Meal', allowing them to group a drink and a food together into a new item known as a meal, providing 90% of the bonuses of each for 75% of the duration, which would allow the stacking of many positive bonuses.

Enchanters get the ability to double up on weapon enchants, allowing two separate enchantments to be applied with the same stone, at 75% of the effectiveness of each (due to damage bonuses).

Alchemists find that they are borked once again, and do not get a level 50 passive. Just kidding. I don't know enough about the profession to make up something on the spot.

Master Craftsman

As a separate skill altogether, a Master Craftsmen title would be given to those players who have mastered four of the crafting trees (I pick four, because it is more than the three primaries that everybody takes, and less than the total, as I fully expect them to add more crafting lines later and it would create hazard for the achievements to constantly update the totals)

A Master Craftsman has their own skill line, which provides them the active ability to summon a crafting bench of each of the crafting skills they have mastered. Another ability offers a short boost to decon efficiency, giving better chance of returns while deconstructing.

Master Craftsman are also treated as such when addressing craft NPC's.

Master Workbenches

Seeded throughout the world in some of the most exotic locale's, these workbenches provide a new set bonuses known as 'Masterworked'. They require 8 of 8 traits researched, AND level 50 achieved in that profession. Unlike standard set bonuses, these workbenches are separate and alone, and often well off the beaten path, making them difficult to find and/or reach.

The Masterwork set bonus is a 3, 5, 7 and 10 piece bonus (10 if you count jewelrycrafting in future updates), that provides ... something awesome but balanced. Cause I haven't thought of anything myself.
Ruze Aulus. Mayor of Dhalmora. Archer, hunter, assassin. Nightblade.
Gral. Mountain Terror. Barbarian, marauder, murderer. Nightblade.
Na'Djin. Knight-Blade. Knight, vanguard, defender. Nightblade.

XBOX NA
Ruze is a veteran of the PC Beta, lived through the year one drought, survived the buy-to-play conversion, and has stepped foot in the hells known as Craglorn. He mained a nightlbade when nightblades weren't good, and has never worn a robe. He converted from PC during the console betas, and hasn't regretted it a moment since.

He'd rank ESO:TU (in it's current state) a 4.8 out of 5, loving the game almost entirely.

This is an multiplayer game. I should be able to log in, join a dungeon, join a battleground, queue for a dolmen or world boss or delve, teleport in, play for 20 minutes, and not worry about getting kicked, failing to join, having perfect voice coms, or being unable to complete content because someone's lagging behind. Group Finder and matchmaking is broken. Take a note from Destiny and build a system that allows from drop-in/drop-out functionality and quick play.
  • Curragraigue
    Curragraigue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the idea of a master craftsman and being able to craft where you are, maybe with a lower extraction return to recognise the inferior equipment available out in the wild?

I would suggest the EP locale for the master workshop could be the Skyforge.

I would prefer an option for better crafted sets rather than being able to have two traits on equipment. So maybe an increase in the number of traits you can research adding another one or two traits and then a better crafting set for masters with all traits researched and crafting skill at maximum.
    PUG Life - the true test of your skill

18 characters, 17 max level, at least 1 Stam and 1 Mag of every class, 1 of every race and 1200+ CP

Tanked to Undaunted 9+ Mag and Stam of every class using Group Finder for 90+% of the Vet Dungeon runs
  • AreoHotah
    AreoHotah
    ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice ideas.
    I got all 6 professions maxed out. Where is my Grandmaster crafter title??
    Hota'h, Dual-wield/bow full medium armor NB Khajiit from day 1.

https://imageshack.com/i/p2rF313Qj/b]
  • GnatB
    GnatB
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd be inclined to argue the master craftsman thing should be account wide. I'd assume any sane player has spread his crafting amongst alts.
    Achievements Suck
  • Tarukmockto
    Tarukmockto
    ✭✭✭
    GnatB wrote: »
    I'd be inclined to argue the master craftsman thing should be account wide. I'd assume any sane player has spread his crafting amongst alts.

Now why would a sane player do that? With the exception of Enchanting, crafting is so easy in this game, I'm having no problem with all crafts on my main character. There's no significant achievement with crafts spread across multiple toons.
    NA - DC - DK - PC
  • Opioid
    Opioid
    ✭✭✭
    I support this idea. Right now, crafting professions feel really empty. There's not really anything unique or particularly desirable that a crafter can make if they put in all the effort of grinding up the crafting levels and researching all the traits, aside from a few fairly mediocre set bonuses that not a lot of people seem to want.

I like the idea of allowing crafters to add two traits to an item instead of just one. I'd also like to see some more useful set bonuses since I'm not terribly impressed with the current craftable bonuses.

The provisioning idea is interesting, but I'd rather they just allow people to have both a food buff and a drink buff, then balance the buffs from said food and drinks so the combo doesn't get too overpowered.

I'm not sure about the idea of allowing double weapon glyphs but not double armor glyphs. I'd much rather be able to put two enchants on armor than on weapons. Maybe restrict it to only being applicable to purple/gold quality glyphs on purple/gold quality armor to force it into being relatively expensive and difficult to obtain?

Not sure what would be useful for alchemists. Perhaps some kind of potion mastery at max level that gives them some kind of proc chance to create more powerful potions?

I do like the idea of some kind of Master Craftsman title, but I think it would be best implemented as some kind of quest chain. Kind of late in the process now, but let's say people were just starting out blacksmithing. They get it up to level 10, a quest pops up for them to complete to gain an Apprentice title. Maybe go out and make a certain number of weapons/armor, or go talk to a master blacksmith npc and get a set of tasks to prove your skills. Have something like that happen every 10-15 levels in the crafting skill. Maybe even work in some kind of combat quests to go wipe out a troll den to save another master blacksmith, or clear some village of daedra in order to collect a rare crafting material. Make it something that takes some time and requires either a lot of skill to solo, or a group to complete. Hell, maybe even add something like this that pops up once you hit 50 in each tradeskill, start some kind of extensive quest line in order to unlock your Master title and some kind of special perk for your craft skill. Maybe allow blacksmiths to specialize in armorsmithing/weaponsmithing so they can create slightly more powerful weapons and armor than others who have not unlocked it (more damage/armor/higher benefits from traits). Allow Clothiers to specialize in Cloth or Leather (more armor, higher benefits from traits), Provisioners specialize in Food or Drink (higher stat buffs), Alchemists specialize in beneficial potions or poisons (whenever poison gets implemented) and Enchanters can specialize in Weapon, Armor or Jewelry glyphs (enhanced glyph effects).

I'm sure a lot of people would whine and complain about it being too long and difficult, but honestly, it should be. Make crafters feel like they didn't waste their time and skill points just to be able to make the same worthless junk that everyone else can make too.
  • GnatB
    GnatB
    ✭✭✭✭

Now why would a sane player do that? With the exception of Enchanting, crafting is so easy in this game, I'm having no problem with all crafts on my main character. There's no significant achievement with crafts spread across multiple toons.

Because crafting takes up a goodly number of skill points, which aren't exactly unlimited as you're starting out. (most of my characters are skill point starved atm, and are only doing a single craft)
    Achievements Suck
  • kirnmalidus
    kirnmalidus
    ✭✭✭✭
    These are all great ideas, thank you for posting them.
    Life of a Nightblade (Screenshot Tumblr)

Attention Zenimax: Stamina builds don't hold up to magicka builds, and this is causing most of your class imbalance. It makes melee weapons and bows weaker than staves and class abilities. It makes medium and heavy armor less desirable than light armor. Fix this imbalance, and you'll address most of your balance issues.

- @ruze84b14_ESO
  • Tarukmockto
    Tarukmockto
    ✭✭✭
    I guess having enough skill points depends on what kind of a character you create and how you play, so I can see your point.

What with points from leveling, certain Quests and finding Shards, I have a tough time deciding what to do with all my skill points. As a result, lots of them go into all the different crafting disciplines.

Different strokes and all that.
    NA - DC - DK - PC
  • Isibis
    Isibis
    ✭✭✭
    Love the outfit idea. Its not a huge competitive change, but would be a nice encouragement to actually advance to 50! That and better crafted set bonuses.
    I also hope they make craft leveling much harder, more inline with enchanting. It should be a bit more of a commitment. As it stands now, everyone except hardcore pvpers/min maxers are crafting everything they need.

The other suggestions, while very nice, sound like they would take a lot of work to implement. Think of all the bugs!
  • Ser Lobo
    Ser Lobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I've often pointed out, small things like costumes, titles, trophies and pets can go a long way into showing a player that they are being rewarded. Not everything has to be a 'have it or lose out' buff or stat increase.

With that said, rank 50 in any crafting profession is rather easily achieved, and like the combat professions, I feel it should be rewarded.

XBOX NA
    Ruze is a veteran of the PC Beta, lived through the year one drought, survived the buy-to-play conversion, and has stepped foot in the hells known as Craglorn. He mained a nightlbade when nightblades weren't good, and has never worn a robe. He converted from PC during the console betas, and hasn't regretted it a moment since.

He'd rank ESO:TU (in it's current state) a 4.8 out of 5, loving the game almost entirely.

This is an multiplayer game. I should be able to log in, join a dungeon, join a battleground, queue for a dolmen or world boss or delve, teleport in, play for 20 minutes, and not worry about getting kicked, failing to join, having perfect voice coms, or being unable to complete content because someone's lagging behind. Group Finder and matchmaking is broken. Take a note from Destiny and build a system that allows from drop-in/drop-out functionality and quick play.
  • Sasky
    Sasky
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, alchemy is a bit of a tough one, especially since they already threw in snake blood and lab use -- both of which could've been a defining trait of hitting 50.

Perhaps make your medicinal use (+% passive) apply on craft?

Also, how about even achievements for crafting? The only ones are Node Harvester, a broken thing about chests or whatever, and learning enchanting runes.

Sample achievements:

Cloth/Blacksmith/Woodwork - could pool these or make per-craft
    • Craft 1/100/1000 items
    • Deconstruct 1/100/1000 items
    • Improve 1/5/10 items to purple
    • Improve 1/5/10 items to gold
    • Refine 1/1000/10000 raw materials (10k pooled gather with ~3 per node, but can also buy for refine)

Enchanting
    Note: already have 3 around learned glyphs
    Could put into pool for above for deconstruct/craft.
    • Craft legendary (gold) glyph

Alchemy
    • Discover all traits on all reagents
    • Craft a potion with 3 effects
    • Craft 1/100/1000 potions

Provisioning
    • Learn all green AD, DC, EP recipes
    • Craft a consummate (purple) food
    • Craft a consummate beverage
    • Craft 1/100/1000 beverages
    • Craft 1/100/1000 food items
    Sasky (Zaniira, Daggerfall Covenant)
    Addons: AutoInvite, CyrHUD, Others
  • Stonesthrow
    Stonesthrow
    ✭✭✭✭
    Been suggesting/feedbacking for the addition of achievements and titles in crafting since November.

If you look at how many achieves fishing has and how many titles PvP has, you'll see why. Crafting takes longer, takes more skill points and requires more effort than many of the other things that reward you with titles and achieves.

I imagine they will add things, just not high on the list atm.

Adding multiple enchants or traits would require them to rebalance and tweak a lot of encounters and mobs. They have to assume everyone will have them and it can't be a face roll, just like they tune stuff knowing you will be using Ultimates now. Same goes for food/drink/potions.

Some ideas while a much Mighty Taco…

They should add enchants that require multiple Potencies or essences to be used up to increase the amount the enchant provides in small doses. Basically creating higher quality enchants by burning more material.

Should have a trade in system for crap runes and style/trait or boosters at their respective vendors. Dump a few hundred Ta for a couple Rekuta, unload the essences you will never use for something else, the 500 honing stones piling up for some purps, etc...

Should be able to craft any number, 1 to 100 of something, as long as you have the matts and the room in your bag.

Special spot in your bank to store crafting items away from you regular inventory like Trait and Style stones, upgrade materials, etc… Make it Crafting Only Bank space and charge handsomely for it like regular bank space, but it is only for crafting materials.

Seriously, 95% of my swapping from mule to mule is for crafting storage and retrieval. One of the only things that really is wearing on me. I don't want anything for free, but the account bank system could be utilized so much better with a crafting bank addition to it.

• JessieColt
    JessieColt
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like the idea of a Master Crafter being able to add a 2nd trait to their crafted gear, however, I think it should be for bound items only. Nothing that can be made for other users.

• Ser Lobo
    Ser Lobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the idea of a Master Crafter being able to add a 2nd trait to their crafted gear, however, I think it should be for bound items only. Nothing that can be made for other users.

I disagree, mainly because crafting as an MMO profession (instead of a necessary skill to solo with) is and should be the end goal of crafting. At least in my opinion.

I don't mind every bit of loot being bound. But I would prefer not a single crafted item being bound. Crafters should be part of the community and wanted by the community.

XBOX NA

• nudel
    nudel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With the exception of a title, all of the OP's suggestions would be incredibly OP.
  • Ser Lobo
    Ser Lobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nudel wrote: »
    With the exception of a title, all of the OP's suggestions would be incredibly OP.

Costumes would be Overpowered? How?

XBOX NA

• Sasky
    Sasky
    ✭✭✭
    @nudel Which parts and how exactly? Or were you just looking for somewhere to use that line where it half-fit?

Most of OP's suggestions are well reasoned with drawbacks to use (Provisioning), extensions of existing craft bonuses (Set Stations), or purely cosmetic (title/achievement). Sure, double traits might be on the strong side, but what sets that into OP range instead of normal? What drawbacks could be implemented to compensate?
    Edited by Sasky on June 23, 2014 9:03PM
  • Ser Lobo
    Ser Lobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, I feel that the way traits are generated in this game, even if a crafted piece has two traits, it won't be significantly better than the high-end, rare looted gear.

I still think looted gear should be bound, though. Especially rare items.

XBOX NA

• Hamfast
    Hamfast
    ✭✭✭✭
    4 of the crafting skill lines are currently done at 40, Alchemy and provisioning go to 50... so an achievement/title are not so far out of line for reaching 50 (Master Woodworker, Master Blacksmith, Master Tailor, Master Enchanter, Master Chef and Severus Snape... I mean Master Alchemist) Costumes would mean something else to take up space... unless those costumes granted something beyond a Leather Apron they would end up on some mule if the player kept them at all.

Additional titles for levels of ability with or without some quest would also grant a measure of recognition with no added "OP Benefit" for someone to whine about. A mobile Crafting Station, while nice, may also require limits like not being connected to your bank, Mater Crafting Stations would be nice, but again, caution would be required to ensure the bonuses are not over powering because everyone would have to be assumed to be wearing "Master Crafted Items" and at some point they will be.

If you look at the crafting achievements now they are for enchanting, as stated many times, the slowest to raise, similar achievements as @Sasky posted above would also give some recognition to the accomplishments associated with Crafting, others could include learning 8 traits for an item, learning all traits for a craft, and/or 5/6/7 traits in all items of a craft
    Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most...
  • nudel
    nudel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Double traits, double enchantments, double food buffs... I don't see how you can argue those are balanced.
  • Beega
    Beega
    ✭✭
    Beega has been doing some thinking. In the previous adventure zone 'Craglorn' eso released two extra veteran levels. If they bring a second adventure zone they will have to bring at-least two more veteran levels. When they bring more veteran levels I wouldn't expect developers to make use void materials from veteran 9 - 15 or so. I would expect them to release a new material for those two veteran levels. I for one love to see a Master title for crafting.
    Vokundein
    Beega - Oathsworn
    Legend Gaming Website | Join Us
  • Hamfast
    Hamfast
    ✭✭✭✭
    Double traits, double enchantments, double food buffs... I don't see how you can argue those are balanced.
    Balance is not the issue as everyone will eventually have them, the issue is more survive-ability without them and when they will be required to continue. Personally, I agree with your objection to the Double this or double that, while the OP tempers that by only granting 75% to 90% of the effect, this issue would be something that could lead to problems, but it's not really a balance issue simply because the answer would be "Get the Double-X item for yourself"
    Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most...
  • ShedsHisTail
    ShedsHisTail
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the Crafting Skills should branch into specilizations.

I think Clothing should branch into Leathworking and Tailoring.
    I Think Blacksmithing should branch into Weapon Smithing and Armor Smithing.
    I think Wood Working should Branch into Staves and Bows (move shields to Armor Smithing)

Of course you'd retain the ability to make anything in your chosen profession, but items matching your specialty would be of notably higher quality.
    "As an online discussion of Tamrielic Lore grows longer, the probability of someone blaming a Dragon Break approaches 1." -- Sheds' Law
    Have you seen the Twin Lamps?
  • Sasky
    Sasky
    ✭✭✭
    You can easily argue it's balanced. Or, suggest alternatives/fixes to make it more balanced. Keep in mind, there's a lot of investment that goes into crafting. If it's only as good as the nearest world drop, it's a huge letdown. Alchemy and Provisioning do this utility well. Enchanting is bad. The others are decent, but can't measure up to some dropped/npc items.

Double enchants
    Already exist on some rare drops. Also, enchants on dropped items increase if you improve the item, allowing you to surpass gold-level enchants.

Double provisioning
    Was suggested like current system, where the more items affected, the lower magnitude. You see a lot of people focus on blue food/drink instead of purple because of that reason.

It'll probably most often be used to create cross between green recipes (+Max magicka and +magicka regen, both at their reduced levels.)
    Let's face it, a VR5 item for +3 to all regens and +60 to h/s/m isn't that worthwhile.

Double traits
    Yes, it is more powerful than the current model, but in of itself it isn't unbalanced.

Another way you can argue is that the other crafts don't have the boost over standard as say alchemy:
    • You can make triple-stat potions, where each stat is higher than the single you get from NPC vendors.
    • A crafted lv40 health potion is on par with a lv50 dropped health potion.
    • You get access a whole slew of potion effects you can't get from vendors (+pow, +crit, detect, etc).

Alternatives:
    Enchanting: allow enchanter to override locked enchants.

Cloth/WW/Blacksmith: Allow on deconstruct of any set item a 50% chance to get a token (Eg: Token of Warlock). The token will be bound on pickup and can be used at craft station to create set corresponding to that token.
  • Ser Lobo
    Ser Lobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the idea of being able to break down an item and get a token, to apply that looted set bonus to something new. Maybe require the player be at a master crafting station, eh?

Hehehe, shameless plug.

XBOX NA

• GnatB
    GnatB
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think the Crafting Skills should branch into specilizations.

I think Clothing should branch into Leathworking and Tailoring.
    I Think Blacksmithing should branch into Weapon Smithing and Armor Smithing.
    I think Wood Working should Branch into Staves and Bows (move shields to Armor Smithing)

Of course you'd retain the ability to make anything in your chosen profession, but items matching your specialty would be of notably higher quality.

Unneeded. They can (and probably will) just do specializing by only letting one crafting skill go above 50, so you have to pick whether to specializing in Clothier, Blacksmithing, Alchemy, etc.
    Achievements Suck
  • HugeJackedman
    HugeJackedman
    Soul Shriven
    Very well said. I LOVE the idea of the "meals" and also the putting two traits on one piece. Or for example even adding two enchants. (I Know the enchant thing was formerly in game) All great ideas, I can say I wholeheartedly agree with everything you've conjured up here. Great suggestions and many would get that extra spice from crafting we are longing for and I think you may be on to something that will hopefully catch on. Zenimax, here's lookin at you kid. :wink:
  • Gizzarduk
    Gizzarduk
    ✭✭✭
    How about once you hit 50, then get all the traits you can craft ANY set bonus in game and from any station... That would be pretty cool. :smile:
  • Cheatingdeath23
    Cheatingdeath23
    ✭✭✭
    Gizzarduk wrote: »
    How about once you hit 50, then get all the traits you can craft ANY set bonus in game and from any station... That would be pretty cool. :smile:

I like this... I hate having to travel to random places just to make an updated set.
  • Food4Thought
    Food4Thought
    ✭✭✭

I disagree. I'm one of those insane craftsmen that is doing all the crafting on one toon. And so far it has been doable. I just don't waste points on skills I don't use or would only use in certain circumstances.

By definition "Master Craftsman" refers to one person.

And besides, by spreading your crafting across multiple alts, you quicken the research times. Which to me learning all of the traits on a single toon should be part of requirement for the title.