The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

1k armor vs 2k armor

• Worstluck
    Worstluck
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gisgo wrote: »
    Its confusing but if there is anything broken to me its the damage the VR9 mobs are doing, not the armor's damage reduction that is working fine against the VR11 mob.

I agree. To be honest, I've felt that many VR1-10 NPCs in quest areas have been ignoring armor all together since the 1.1.2 patch.
    Worstluck - Breton Nightblade "Some of us refused to bow. We knew the old ways would lead us back to having a kingdom of our own."
    ―Madanach
    Elfluck - Dunmer Dragonknight "When I will walk the earth again, the Faithful among you shall receive your reward: to be set above all other mortals forever. As for the rest: the weak shall be winnowed: the timid shall be cast down: the mighty shall tremble at my feet and pray for pardon."
    ―Mehrunes Dagon
    Deadluck -Imperial Templar "Men are but flesh and blood. They know their doom, but not the hour"
    ―Uriel Septim

Daggerfall Covenant
  • crislevin
    crislevin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    still, it seems damage shield such as conjured ward and dampen magic are much more cost effective than pushing armors and armour spells.
  • Valn
    Valn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its confusing but if there is anything broken to me its the damage the VR9 mobs are doing, not the armor's damage reduction that is working fine against the VR11 mob.

Correct.

But also, does this level difference apply to PVP as well?
  • Gisgo
    Gisgo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dont forget armor buffs do cost magicka and a skillbar slot.
    I know more than a good pvper using heavy because they know how to make it work.
    Edited by Gisgo on June 18, 2014 1:25AM
  • crislevin
    crislevin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dont forget armor buffs do cost magicka and a skillbar slot.
    I know more than a good pvper using heavy because they know how to make it work.

true, this is another advantage of damage shield, it can be placed on one skillbar, and its effect will hold when swapping weapons. The things like bound armour, however, will not survive weapon swapping.
  • Gisgo
    Gisgo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Valn wrote: »

Correct.

But also, does this level difference apply to PVP as well?

Not that i know, but its not easy to find targets willing to give their life in the name of science.

• Falmer
    Falmer
    ✭✭✭✭
    You might also have to consider that mobs probably all have some level of "unresistable" damage to avoid players being able to completely shrug off all attacks.

My guess is if you went to fight a regular level 20 mob... it would also do a base minimum damage regardless of how much armor you have.
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What the hell is the point to using Heavy Armor?
  • cubansyrusb16_ESO
    cubansyrusb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    What the hell is the point to using Heavy Armor?

There is no point as i stated you do just aswell wearing nothing at all as you do in heavy armour, possibly heavy armour is not working correctly/or enough or the soft caps are far to low.

What i have found though is my heavy armour is completely useless when naked or cloth will work, its not even worth speccing heavy for passives because they are not worth it.
    Edited by cubansyrusb16_ESO on June 18, 2014 1:44AM
  • Gisgo
    Gisgo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    See why its dangerous to post this kind of thread? Most people reads the first two or three replies and jumps to conclusions...
  • Bloodfang
    Bloodfang
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok I just tested this theory and @Valn is mostly correct.

I'm VR4, tested myself against equal VR4 spiders:

• Full Heavy Armor (1840 armor), Naked (261 Armor) - it absolutely doesn't make any difference in Melee, I'm getting hit for the same amount
    • Spell Damage on the other hand when I'm wearing armor I get hit for - 187 without armor (naked) - 267

Heavy Armor seems to be terribly broken.
    Edited by Bloodfang on June 18, 2014 2:02AM
  • joshisanonymous
    joshisanonymous
    ✭✭✭✭
    I tested this maybe a month ago to find out if Mark Target was working right. I don't have the log anymore but I remember finding that I was reducing damage by 1 point for every 28 points of armor. I only tested against some VR2 bandit type mob on the west coast of Glenumbra. It was hitting me for damage in the 100s. I was VR2 at the time.
    Fedrals / EP / Dunmer Nightblade

• Tankqull
    Tankqull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i
    Despair9 wrote: »

well regarding low lvl, and craglorn mobs armor seems to be working but all non craglorn vet mobs have sth like 95% armor penetration.

spelling and grammar errors are free to be abused

Sallington wrote: »
    Anything useful that players are wanting added into the game all fall under the category of "Yer ruinin my 'mersion!"

• LariahHunding
    LariahHunding
    ✭✭✭✭
    We may be onto the real problem with VR zones. I haven't tested it but I have a feeling that no armor is really working that well for weapon protections.
    "Give a man a sweet roll, he only has one to steal. Give him a sweet roll recipe, he have bunches to steal."

• Worstluck
    Worstluck
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wondering if @ZOS_GinaBruno or @ZOS_JessicaFolsom can chime in on this. Thanks >;)
    Edited by Worstluck on June 18, 2014 2:24AM
    Worstluck - Breton Nightblade "Some of us refused to bow. We knew the old ways would lead us back to having a kingdom of our own."
    ―Madanach
    Elfluck - Dunmer Dragonknight "When I will walk the earth again, the Faithful among you shall receive your reward: to be set above all other mortals forever. As for the rest: the weak shall be winnowed: the timid shall be cast down: the mighty shall tremble at my feet and pray for pardon."
    ―Mehrunes Dagon
    Deadluck -Imperial Templar "Men are but flesh and blood. They know their doom, but not the hour"
    ―Uriel Septim

Daggerfall Covenant
  • Wifeaggro13
    Wifeaggro13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    crislevin wrote: »
    Thanks

If this is correct in most cases, that 1k armour just doesn't seem to do much.

btw, whats that 407 vs 538?

Armor does nothing this game is completely busted as far as mitigation agro management. any build other then a light armor caster is simly non functioning in end game. Have a VR 12 DK heavy armor build best armor you can craft. I rerolled a sorc and made a tank out of it i wear light armor Seducer and nightmother VR2 . there is literaly no difference in the amount of damage that can be mitigated. the sorc tanks better then my DK has more mana and actually has better CC .

there was very llittle testing and i beleive it is the games undoing. tanking all the Vr dungeons with my sorc and will move up to trials shortly. Brrrrrroooooken end game
    Edited by Wifeaggro13 on June 18, 2014 2:30AM
  • Valn
    Valn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Despair9 wrote: »

I'm VR4, tested myself against equal VR4 spiders:

• Full Heavy Armor (1840 armor), Naked (261 Armor) - it absolutely doesn't make any difference in Melee, I'm getting hit for the same amount
    • Spell Damage on the other hand when I'm wearing armor I get hit for - 187 without armor (naked) - 267

So it might possibly be an issue with lower level veteran mobs. If 1840 armor and 261 armor have no difference with the hits you're receiving, then its broken
  • Nathair
    Nathair
    ✭✭✭
    Worstluck wrote: »
    Wondering if @ZOS_GinaBruno or @ZOS_JessicaFolsom can chime in on this. Thanks >;)
    Preferably with something other than the now standard response "We're looking into it, there might be a change of some kind sometime, you know, Soon(tm). Trust us and keep paying your your monthly fee while you wait."

To, Too, Two. - There, Their, They're. - Were, We're, Where. - Your, You're. - Then, Than.
    Homophones, not synonyms.
  • Animus0724
    Animus0724
    ✭✭✭
    Tested it against a V9 Timber Mammoth

Full stats (bad i know)
    34flizk.jpg

Damage
    2gy8654.jpg

Reduced stats

jfc96u.jpg

Damage
    (first 2 hits were heavy attacks)
    15z1edc.jpg

1310 armor absorbs 9 damage or about 4% with this test.

EDIT: NAKED TEST

300 armor from nord racial
    w1fb5h.jpg

mtkpcw.jpg

These tests are inconclusive. You have no consistent form of damage hence no control.

And unless I am reading these charts wrong, which I probably am,
    On your first test

At 2227 armor getting attacked for 2254 damage, you only took 407 of that

At 917 armor getting attacked for 1796 damage, you only took 538 of that

Is this how you're supposed to read these charts? If thats the case, that 458 difference in damage alters your results by up to 30%
    I take pride in being an incredibly smart dumb ass, or an incredibly dumb smart ass, either way I'm awesome.

-The Art Of Warfare (T.A.W.)
  • Lyall84
    Lyall84
    ✭✭✭✭
    Did someone really just post proof that the difference in protection between light and heavy is 4%? What are they thinking with these values? Please tell me this is an error.

No wonder every one is rolling robes
    Edited by Lyall84 on June 18, 2014 3:56AM
  • Sasky
    Sasky
    ✭✭✭
    Animus0724 wrote: »

Is this how you're supposed to read these charts? If thats the case, that 458 difference in damage alters your results by up to 30%

The 2227 and 1796 values are for current health.

This is about as consistent as you can make this kind of test -- use same mob with and without armor. It's possible you could try against different types of mobs, but it still gets the point across that armor is no better than paper in some situations at least.

One possibility is that first mob you tested registered its attack as spell damage so it was looking at spell resist instead of armor. (Heavy armor really should increase both more than it does, though...)
    Sasky (Zaniira, Daggerfall Covenant)
    Addons: AutoInvite, CyrHUD, Others
  • Lkory
    Lkory
    ✭✭✭
    See why its dangerous to post this kind of thread? Most people reads the first two or three replies and jumps to conclusions...

Lol what is the best resource in this game...magika i think. Wear a full set of light and use a ring/amulet with a gold armor glyph on it (+600), then you are close to what a full set of heavy with passive will achieve.
  • babylon
    babylon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Maybe if you re-write the thread and make it seem as if this is somehow a beneficial exploit they will rush in here and get on this for us.
  • Natjur
    Natjur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The real question is HOW do they fix this without breaking the game more? At the moment 7 light and staff is the best (if you want armor just add +600 to your rings and your at the cap anyway)

Medium and Heavy armor, what the point? The passives are crap. But the weapon speed passive will be fixed next patch, so that it a start (it did not apply to bows before)
  • Lyall84
    Lyall84
    ✭✭✭✭
    2ch6t0n.jpg

2ziomtf.jpg

Thats a pretty big difference.
    Why is everyone screaming "broken"?

Big difference from naked to heavy sure, but what about heavy to light. They are screaming broken because heavy gets about 47-50% damage reduction if capped, while light is most likely sitting close to 30-35% and medium in the 38-42% range. The loss of damage (42% spell pen or 21% critical) and resources (21% magicka or 21%stamina regen) is not a fair trade for 15-20% more protection. And the health regen from from heavy is a joke. Health base is less than the other two to start with, so does not increase as much for the same skill points invested.
  • Shaun98ca2
    Shaun98ca2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the issue you guys DONT understand is .........

Its been researched SOFT CAP offers 30% damage reduction.

The real value becomes closer to hard cap which is 50% damage reduction (physical attacks of course).
  • Valn
    Valn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Animus0724 wrote: »

These tests are inconclusive. You have no consistent form of damage hence no control.

And unless I am reading these charts wrong, which I probably am,
    On your first test

Don't look at my health number. I took off armor which had health glyphs on, i am just showing the damage being dealt against me when my armor rating changes. The amount of health I have (whether its 2254 or 1796) has no affect on the size of the hits against me.

And all of my heavy armor pieces have the inprenetrable trait, which reduces being hit by critical attacks. The reason I got hit 538 was probably because i had less resistance to critical attacks.

The test is mainly comparing the light attacks against me.
    Edited by Valn on June 18, 2014 5:31AM
  • Worstluck
    Worstluck
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haste still isn't working for bows just quite yet, hopefully they can get it right before next Monday.

I am still inclined to believe that many NPCs in veteran areas are just plain ignoring armor and spell resist, which is possibly why we've been seeing such high damage numbers from random bandit NPCs since the 1.1.2 patch. If you look at the VR11 mob damage, it seems in line with what mitigation is supposed to offer you. These Craglorn NPC's have always seemed to do less damage than most NPC's in VR8+ areas, which seems backward.

―Madanach
    ―Mehrunes Dagon
    ―Uriel Septim

Daggerfall Covenant
  • babylon
    babylon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    . I am still inclined to believe that many NPCs in veteran areas are just plain ignoring armor and spell resist

This is what I think is happening as well - vet mobs are simply ignoring our armour.
  • Hilgara
    Hilgara
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also makes all the armour reduction skills and abilities pointless.