The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Improving MacBook Pro FPS

IrishGirlGamer
IrishGirlGamer
✭✭✭✭✭
Are there any suggestions on improving the FPS of TESO on my MacBook Pro? I have an earlier MacBook 15in, mid-2010, with a 2.66 ghz i7, 4gb DDR3 ram and the NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 512 mb graphics card. I'm running OS X 10.9.3.

Even on medium settings I'm experiencing lag and drops to single digit FPS - and that's just in the starter dungeon. :(

Valar Morghulis.

Someday I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull. Arya Stark

You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well. Sansa Stark

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. Desmond Tutu
  • Jando
    Jando
    ✭✭✭✭
    4 year old laptop? I think Low settings is the way to go.
    Dear ZoS - Sell us great content at a reasonable price. Stop the Grind!!
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    - low single core/thread frequency (ESO is very CPU dependent FPS-wise)
    - only 4 GB of RAM (upgrade if possible), OS X 10.9 needs 2 GB all by itself to run
    - small VRAM, dated GPU

@geoffreyb14_ESO has the right of it, low is the way to go with this machine.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good advice from the others I'm afraid it is realistic given that it is the minimum spec graphics card etc. Set to Low then tweak up and see. Also consider changing resolution may help.
  • IrishGirlGamer
    IrishGirlGamer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, thanks to everyone for the advice. I do need this computer for my work; it's quite critical in fact, so there's no real hope for change in my future.

However, my friend has a Windows desktop; I'll just log into his when I want to play.

Thanks.
    Valar Morghulis.

Someday I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull. Arya Stark

You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well. Sansa Stark

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. Desmond Tutu
  • Seedier
    Seedier
    ✭✭
    I've run this OK on a lower spec 6-year old 17' macbook pro, although with 8 Gb RAM... however had to lower graphics significantly; try reducing resolution in addition to your setting all settings to low and keep the view distance low, maybe 10-15.
    With my lowly spec laptop i can get up to 60 fps in a dungeon which makes up for the significant deterioration in graphics to some extent.
    However the reproducible crashes due to memory allocation errors have sucked the joy out of this game for me sadly....

edit: you could also consider using bootcamp to try the windows client - drivers are possibly better optimised and it may be possible to get a better experience that way.
    Edited by Seedier on July 2, 2014 7:17PM
  • Wolfster
    Wolfster
    ✭✭✭
    RAM is largely irrelevant - as I've said elsewhere the game client is 32 bit, so having lots of RAM is essentially useless as the game can't access it. A 64 bit client would seriously improve the memory leak crashes even on 4GB systems.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wolfster wrote: »
    RAM is largely irrelevant - as I've said elsewhere the game client is 32 bit, so having lots of RAM is essentially useless as the game can't access it. A 64 bit client would seriously improve the memory leak crashes even on 4GB systems.
    That makes no sense at all. 32-bit limit is 4GB (less in reality due to overheads). A computer with 4GB installed RAM has a physical limit of 4GB minus memory used by OS X etc.

64-bit client is not magically going to resolve memory leaks/ issues. It would only allow more leeway before crashes given higher installed memory, not fix the underlying issue itself.
  • GreySix
    GreySix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had to get a 2012 MBP (just before they ditched the optical drive) model to run the game.

Could run it on a 2008 MBP, albeit on bare-bones settings. Runs pretty well on my 2012 MBP, though it drains my battery while running.
    Crotchety Old Man Guild

"Hey you, get off my lawn!"