The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Toggle or enter full screen ?

tomjuergens
tomjuergens
Soul Shriven
Maybe a stupid question...when I want to switch back from a window mode to full screen, there are two options:
1. Toggle Full Screen
2. Enter Full screen

What is the difference and what are the consequences ? Is there a difference at all ?Or in other words....what should I use ??
Thanks !
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭

Maybe a stupid question...when I want to switch back from a window mode to full screen, there are two options:
    1. Toggle Full Screen
    2. Enter Full screen

What is the difference and what are the consequences ? Is there a difference at all ?Or in other words....what should I use ??
    Thanks !
    OK so to swap between Fullscreen > Windowed you have several choices!

Default PC way (boo) = Alt+Enter, Alt+Tab
    Cool Mac ways = Cmd+Tab, Cmd+M, Cmd+F
    And whateveryouwant way ;) = Controls > Keybindings > Toggle Fullscreen Mode
  • tomjuergens
    tomjuergens
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks both of you. I see, that I maybe have not been clear. I am aware of different ways to switch to Full Screen. I was just puzzled about the different verbs used. When I am in window mode of ESO and click "Window" on top of the screen, I get this two options: Toggle and Enter Fullscreen. I a just wondered, wether there is a "technical" difference between them, since they are both specified ?
    Edited by tomjuergens on June 3, 2014 10:27AM
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks both of you. I see, that I maybe have not been clear. I am aware of different ways to switch to Full Screen. I was just puzzled about the different verbs used. When I am in window mode of ESO and click "Window" on top of the screen, I get this two options: Toggle and Enter Fullscreen. I a just wondered, wether there is a "technical" difference between them, since they are both specified ?
    OK, that's clearer ;)

Well the actions shown in the menu bar for each in ESO are;

Cmd+M = Enter Full Screen (generally Minimize in OS X)
    Cmd+F = Toggle Fullscreen (generally opens Finder in OS X)

These key stroke commands are not directly relative to normal OS X functions but relate to how you toggle screen mode in other games to make it more normal for existing gamers, like from WoW as an example (Cmd+M) Essentially they do the same thing though as Cmd+M also toggles if you repeat the key stroke so perhaps it could also be named as Cmd+F.

So technically, key stroke commands are dependant on the application rather than OS X for that processes window. See the Apple Developers document like here as an example of how that may be done;
    When a window goes into full-screen mode, the styleMask changes to NSFullScreenWindowMask to reflect the state of the window.The setting of the styleMask goes through the setStyleMask: method. As a result, a window can override this method if it has customization to do when entering or exiting full-screen.

A window can be taken into or out of full-screen mode using the toggleFullScreen: method. If an app supports full-screen mode, it should add a menu item to the View menu with toggleFullScreen: as the action, and nil as the target.
    (maybe this is outdated as each OS X version seems to vary but gives an idea of how the function can be set for an application)

This is how I understand it so it could be worry of course ;)
    Edited by Moonraker on June 3, 2014 11:48AM