Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How to deal with CC Immune mobs

MichaelD
MichaelD
Hello, I'm currently VR6 and I most of the times have no problem with mobs even groups of 3-4, I use spear-shards, volcanic-rune, vamprires bane and the ultimate from Soul tree.

However there are some CC-Immune mobs like gargoyles that pack 12k of hit-points and they cannot be controlled, these also hit very hard. How can these be defeated solo?

I'm templar with resto & destruction staff, light armor.

Also are there CC abilities that work even on immune mobs? I am 99% certain that the snare from the ultimate works on them, is this a bug or it works because it is "ultimate"?

Thanks for any info you can spare.
  • Gaudrath
    Gaudrath
    ✭✭✭
    Obviously you won't be keeping them stunned or unable to reach you, and you cannot burst them down, so the only recourse is to stack defense, be careful with your resources and outlast them. You won't be snaring them either, even if you do use your ultimate, it won't last long enough.

Personally I prefer using defensive magicka/stamina skillset for that, basically all my magicka is dedicated to keeping me alive, and stamina is for defense and sometimes, buffs.

You can use Elemental Drain in order to replenish your magicka, making you last longer. For stamina skills, I usually use Circle of Protection, Immovable and if the target is valid, Expert Hunter. Immovable will shoot your armor and spell resist into overcharged even with full light armor. CoP is obviously good against daedric/undead.

So maybe:
    Destro Staff:
    1. Vampire's Bane
    2. Elemental Drain
    3. CoP or Immovable
    4. ??? Backlash maybe, but that's more for group play. Sun Shield is also good.
    5. Self-heal

Resto staff:

1-5: Heallzzz!

I would also swap the Soul Strike for something more defensive you can use in a pinch. Use lightning staff for heavy attacks with Elemental Drain since you get plenty of ticks during the channel, throw Bane then switch to resto and use heavy attack if you need extra magicka.

Ultimately going full defensive and trying to outlast them is the only straight tactic with elite mobs. Whether you can actually pull it off depends on the mob, your gear etc. Some are too tough to kill solo, but I don't think gargoyles are among them.
  • MichaelD
    MichaelD
    I see, so I'm guessing rune focus can also work since I can replenish magicka with it too.

But the main skill is the elemental drain and what can provide most ticks to gain more magicka.

I'll give it a try
  • Gaudrath
    Gaudrath
    ✭✭✭
    Chanelled focus can also work, but depending on the enemy, you might be better off with CoP or Immovable. Channeled Focus also replenishes a very paltry amount of magicka, you will be spending more than you gain back, IF you manage to stand in it for the whole duration.

The idea is to keep yourself as topped up on magicka as possible, since that's your active defense/offense and use stamina for armor and resistance buffs - it should also last you good long while (with CoP, basically as long as you need it) and keeps your magicka free for other uses, which is why I wouldn't use Rune Focus if I don't have to.
    Edited by Gaudrath on May 22, 2014 12:07PM
  • MichaelD
    MichaelD
    Yes I see your point there. I also have the bone shield from undaunted which really buffs up the armor, although 6 seconds and with a steep cost of magicka is not worth much.
    I will try circle of protection first and see how it goes, also I found that combat prayer from healing staff also gives somewhat an edge.
  • Gaudrath
    Gaudrath
    ✭✭✭
    Oh well, they just "fixed" Elemental Drain so it will no longer return magicka for DoT ticks.
  • FallenProphet
    Yea my original plan of making a CC character has just gotten repeatable bashed throughout the time the game had been active it is now pretty much not viable in PvP or PvE because everyone and everything is always cc immune, personally besides bosses I don't think any mob poses enough of a threat that it requires the ability to become CC immune.
  • ashlee17
    ashlee17
    ✭✭✭✭
    As a templar bitting jabs, breath of life, sheild and 5 light 2 heavy armor and most importantly be sure to move all the time.hope it helps.
    Edited by ashlee17 on March 10, 2015 6:10PM
    Administrator of More Than Fair Guild- North American Server- Come and Join us for a fun and friendly experience - 480+ members and great trader location- all factions welcome - mail me @ashlee17 in game for an invite.
    Join the crusade for better guild management tools!
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/145742/help-we-need-more-guild-management-tools/p1
    Please comment and support this cause!
  • Rev Rielle
    Rev Rielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MichaelD wrote: »
    Hello, I'm currently VR6 and I most of the times have no problem with mobs even groups of 3-4, I use spear-shards, volcanic-rune, vamprires bane and the ultimate from Soul tree.

However there are some CC-Immune mobs like gargoyles that pack 12k of hit-points and they cannot be controlled, these also hit very hard. How can these be defeated solo?

For gargoyles in particular, they have three main attacks.
    • The first is where they'll 'pull' a stone out of the ground then will hit it at you; it will turn you in to stone (which you need to breakout of), if you don't dodge or block it. This is a ranged attack though seems to have no minimum distance.
    • The seconds is an AoE attack that damages everyone around the garrgoyle as they pound on the ground for a couple of second. It's indicated by the 'red circle' (if you have those enabled). It's a simple matter of getting out of the circle, as they're immobile whilst pounding.
    • The third is a single player melee attack that can be interrupted, if it isn't they'll knock you down for around 3 seconds or so. Interrupt, block or dodge this attack.
    MichaelD wrote: »
    I'm templar with resto & destruction staff, light armor.
    Sound very similar to myself; Templar with Restoration-, Destruction-staves, and Light Armour.
    It varies, but my 'staples' when using destruction staff are: Blazing Spear, Reflective Light, Dark Flare, Blazing Shield, and Radiant Magelight. For my Restoration staff they are; Blazing Shield, Rapid Regeneration, Purifying Ritual, Breath of Life, and Radiant Magelight.

If it's going to be a tough/tricky battle, sometimes I'll run in, place a Purifying Ritual, cast Rapid Regeneration, and Blazing Shield. Then swap to my destruction staff, use Blazing Spear, Reflective Light (to get those damage over time effects ticking away). Then it's a matter of using my three attacking spells whilst reapplying Blazing Shield as necessary whilst usually strafing around the enemy in a circular motion, of course, blocking, interrupting, dodging when needed. If the fight's going to last significantly longer than 15 seconds or so (e.g. soloing dolmens or similar), I might reapply Rapid Regeneration and/or Purifying Ritual as required.

As you can see I'm a Templar that likes using my Templar skills whenever possible, and that's worked well for me thus far. I hope that helps you in some way.
    Edited by Rev Rielle on March 10, 2015 8:58PM
    If you can be anything, be kind.