Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Crazy idea to exterminate bots completely

• AinGeal
    AinGeal
    ✭✭✭
    I've been playing since the beginning of the 5 day head start. I only ever traded twice. Once was to buy cheap leather armor with the divines trait and the other was to trade a racial motif that I already knew with one that I didn't. I have since deleted that character (a V3). I haven't traded since. You can get by easily with mob drops and quest rewards. You can deconstruct everything you don't need and you get enough skill points to both max out a build and the crafting needed to craft yourself the best gear your build will use.

TES games never had any sort of economy. Why should ESO? Just because it's an MMO? Honestly it looks like there are just a bunch of industrial/capitalist sub-players. For them the 'game' is crafting/trading stuff. That's all the game is to them. To them I suggest EVE Online. The best game economy I've ever seen and you can "craft" just about anything.
  • Requiemslove
    Requiemslove
    ✭✭✭
    No, I feel getting rid of trading in this game would do more harm than good. Once upon a time I used to raid in another game and often enough would end up with many sought after items others would pay [in game currency] for. Part of that game for me was trying to shift such gear and acquire in game wealth [never know when you'll need a valuable crafting resource] to get hold of other things sought. Also, on many occasions I would gift gear to other players, people in the same guild/kin as me, or friends, sometimes even free over the global chat channel and sometimes it leads to unexpected return acts of kindness. I recall one time I was taught how to play the harp.

My point is trade in an MMO is actually an integral part of the creation of a nice community, its not all about economy. If you remove the ability for players to help other players out you remove a games heart. Don't remove this games trading, just remove the bots, there are other much better ways to do so. I would be all for limited PVP, so long as that was players VS suspected bots. The way that would work is by the game monitoring character behaviour based upon what WE the players see bots doing, which would lead to bot characters being flagged and designated free for all to slay, you should even get what's in their inventories.
  • Daethz
    Daethz
    ✭✭✭
    XanadoX wrote: »
    yes because trading to get something in a MMO is not used at all...

They could disable mass trade till they fix the bots issue. Allow only 1/5/10 trades per day and you will have half problem solved

Will never fix the "bots issue" WoW still has a massive bot community today.
    Waiting, and watching, for the return of Melee Weapons.
    -Subsidiary of The Fighters Guild
  • Lovely
    Lovely
    ✭✭✭
    Good luck with leveling enchanting!
  • Laughter Song
    @Ojustaboo‌
    Ojustaboo wrote: »
    @laughter song,

I understand your annoyance at botters but for me, seeing the same huge post of yours posted in every thread, is becoming as annoying as the botters themselves. I'm reading this on my tablet as I'm away from my PC, your post makes this a very unpleasant experience.

you are also advertising them and while it might be easy to google, many people wont have, but will see your post showing where to go, where to buy and how it works.

you are doing more harm than good, I'm not going to report your posts but I guarantee when Zenimax reads them, they will be rightly deleted, and if you *** them off too much by cross posting, don't be surprised at the outcome.

I guess you would know since you tend to live in Forums with your almost 400 posts; what are you the ESO Forums Post God?

Curious... with all the posting and evaluating of others posts as well as the reporting of posts you do not approve of, do you ever have time to play the actual game?

So you are saying posting similar posts 3 in all - a variation of the the original post, is as bad as Thousands of bots saturating the game?

You are saying that trying to reach players to educated them is as bad as bots?

You are saying that trying to grab the attention of the Developers & Share Holders with details concerning the bots is as "annoying as the botters themselves"

Nice you have a "tablet"; ...yeah better not write what I am moved to want to write here, I might get "reported".

*clears throat* You are saying that I am doing more harm than good? ...odd thinking.

Did you take the time to read my posts? Apparently not. Did you watch any of the videos?

Did you happen to see where the Mods/Devs commended me on my videos/links?

I guess you missed that as well.

*sigh* Ojustaboo, Ojustaboo, Ojustaboo.....

I think this is a clear case of " I have no social life so I wanna be a Forum Celebrity" jealousy - with my 3 to 4 posts.

Obvious the written "Truth" (if not written exclusively by you) is "a bad experience".

So your idea of a "good" or "quality" forum post approved by Ojustaboo‌ is one of sunshine, unicorns & wildflower covered meadows?

My family paid almost very close to $100.00 per game x 3 - the most insanely expensive MMORPG in history and I would like to see our investment succeed.

I can deal with the Bugs - though there are hundreds, the constant DCing, which happens every 20 minutes (Customer Service reps conclude my DCing is on their end, not on mine), I can even tolerate Sorc skills not firing off but being charged for magic blah blah blah, but bots ...sorry no excuse.

Stay away from others posting threads about this subject because there are hundreds who are very upset by the very same exact thing. What I did differently was give hard evidence, explain steps that are usually taken and in some threads explain of how LUA is used to hack games.

You are threatening me that Zenimax employeeswill read my posts? Are you kidding me? How old are you 10?

It was Zenimax Employees who directed me to write in forums.

My goal is to have Devs & Share holders read the forums!

In any event you are threatening me - feel the power?
    and if you *** them off too much by cross posting, don't be surprised at the outcome.

You mean, "If I *** you off too much" right?

I enjoy this game, so much so I want change. I know if the bots are not aggressively removed- if GMs do not get out there and work to remove them until IP protocols are tightened, until detection software can be developed etc. that the game will be F2P in a few months.

Word of advice Ojustaboo, Stay away from local, national and international news; important news that effects individuals is usually explained in details with video, the good, the bad and the ugly as well and often repetitively the who/where/what/why/when.

Not much of a Journalist are you?... oh wait, you must be a botter/gold buyer. I understand now.

PS Ojustaboo my posts were not removed just the videos that show the bots. Good job my man...let's see what the outcome is when I make a few phone calls.

Edited by Laughter Song on 27 May 2014 06:43
  • ElliottXO
    ElliottXO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is another crazy idea which works much better: shut down the severs.

Since I already unsubbed, it's not important to me. Who cares what other people think? I can enjoy my time with the servers being shut down. You guys must be doing something wrong!

/Sarcasm
  • Pewpie
    Pewpie
    ✭✭✭
    ElliottXO wrote: »

Since I already unsubbed, it's not important to me. Who cares what other people think? I can enjoy my time with the servers being shut down. You guys must be doing something wrong!

/Sarcasm

The fact is that ES games do not have player-trading, being mostly single-player. ESO (although trying to be more multiplayer) does not need to have it either. For most ES players it is probably not an element of "fun". Especially not with all the harm it brings to the game in form of bots and gold-farming/selling. My point is that trading brings more elements of harm than fun for players to the game.

There is a bunch of players that probably enjoy trading and get a thrill from seeing their gold increase. As someone else suggested, why don't you go play EVE instead? Trading is so much more fun there.

• Madval
    Madval
    ✭✭✭
    No tks, I want to keep the gold and keep making lots of gold while sellings my stuffs at Guild bank :)
  • rowdog
    rowdog
    Apsalon wrote: »
    The answer's pretty easy: Enable open pvp. The only reason why botting works is because bots can not be harmed. Loved to kill those *** over and over in past games. Not as satisfying as breaking the fingers of goldbuyers, but... it's a start.

Open World PVP is no silver bullet. EvE has open world PVP yet the devs give talks about their somewhat futile efforts to battle RMT (Real Money Trade).
  • Milktray
    Milktray
    ✭✭✭
    Funny thing is, almost every GS i've reported was advertising the same company. I think i've only ever seen the one company advertised but it gets ALOT of ads in chat (less now) and in mail.

Unfortunately now we have way more intelligent bots instead to compensate for the loss of reported GS.

Trade has been a part of mmo's ever since UO, you can't stop it. It's not just about getting what you don't want to earn like some seem to think. I am levelling up Prov. and so put half in one of the guilds dead cheap or in the bank so someone can take it free. It's about giving a helping hand to others in your guilds
    ZoS please understand everyone thinks and pronounces things differently, so please add to your 'rules' that things get removed if the Mod doesn't actually quite understand phrasing
  • sevcik.miroslaveb17_ESO
    Lovely wrote: »
    Pewpie wrote: »
    Is trading that fekking important? It is not to me.

Best argument ever. I guess no point into trying to understand its need.

Actualy I like trading a lot in MMOs, but in ESO? The only trade I perform is swapping crafted gear for decon so I can level up.

Therefore if there was no trade at all, no harm done to me as well.

But I am realistic here. People would unsub if this would happen.
  • KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beretic wrote: »
    I cannot let this go. You sir, should re-evaluate your state of sanity. Trading is eveything.
    You sir, should stop thinking everyone plays like you. Trading is nothing.

Trading is mostly irrelevant to me in every MMO I play, I use what I find and craft what I can, I only need gold for transport and some repairs that are more convenient than crafting replacements.

If I can't get it by my own efforts I don't have it, unless I have gold simply sitting there doing nothing, but since there's no AH in this game and I won't endure guild drama simply to buy and sell I have no place to trade even if I wanted to.
    Edited by KerinKor on 27 May 2014 07:25
  • InstantDnB
    InstantDnB
    ✭✭
    I agree that trading is an important part of the community within MMORPGS. They just havnt nailed it properly in ESO (yet)
    Tony Tut Tiger - Templar [Tank] - A.D.
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Apsalon wrote: »
    The answer's pretty easy: Enable open pvp. The only reason why botting works is because bots can not be harmed. Loved to kill those *** over and over in past games. Not as satisfying as breaking the fingers of goldbuyers, but... it's a start.

God no, I hate open PVP, it's bad enough to have to say no to challenges to duels, or in Swtor when you accidently attack someone with their PVP tag on. But to be permanently vulnerable to idiots who go around grieving, I would quit so fast, there would be scorch marks where my sub details used to be.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    crislevin wrote: »
    i firmly believe the only way is to restrict addon access to approved developers and authenticate each third party addons, open an official app store for the game and ban everybody using other addons.

Game addon cheating is not new, whats new is ZOS being so open about providing easy access to the game code and allowing every addon in the universe.
    It would be a start, but the real problem is that the game accepts what our computers tell them, without any real attempt at verification. So bots can sneak below the surface, and teleport between nodes, because the game accepts that they can move like that.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • XanadoX
    XanadoX
    ✭✭
    Daethz wrote: »
    XanadoX wrote: »
    yes because trading to get something in a MMO is not used at all...

They could disable mass trade till they fix the bots issue. Allow only 1/5/10 trades per day and you will have half problem solved

Will never fix the "bots issue" WoW still has a massive bot community today.

I can't understand what you want to say.

Limited trade or no trade will erradicate bots, as there will be no use for them.
  • ElliottXO
    ElliottXO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ElliottXO wrote: »

/Sarcasm

The fact is that ES games do not have player-trading, being mostly single-player. ESO (although trying to be more multiplayer) does not need to have it either. For most ES players it is probably not an element of "fun". Especially not with all the harm it brings to the game in form of bots and gold-farming/selling. My point is that trading brings more elements of harm than fun for players to the game.

There is a bunch of players that probably enjoy trading and get a thrill from seeing their gold increase. As someone else suggested, why don't you go play EVE instead? Trading is so much more fun there.

From the feedback here I would say that you are the very minority and that the vast majority wants trading.

How about you go and play something else instead?
  • Lox
    Lox
    ✭✭✭
    Yes there is. Remove trading in all ways = BOTS ARE DEAD.

A couple of issues with this statement:

1) Its totally and utterly incorrect
    2) Its totally and utterly incorrect

Although I appreciated that is technically only 1 statement, it is, however, so significant that I thought it should be mentioned twice.

Any Red Dwarf fans out there :wink:
  • TetsuMaru
    TetsuMaru
    ✭✭✭
    Heres my idea. Bots use in game coordinates to operate..ie go here run these commands etc....find a way to write an algorithm that randomly reassigns the geographic coordinates of nodes and is distributed real time. Like a code within the code man.....yknow....im an armchair computer programmer and elective surgeon. Now back to my real job of paper clip sorter.