Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 16:
· [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

I thought this was a Roleplayer-friendly game?

• fizl101
    fizl101
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Treeshka wrote: »
    Diebesgut wrote: »
    There are no role players on Playstation (i never saw one on EU server), at best there are occasional players who play with actions and souvenirs ..

herbst-drachen-smilie_005.gif

I wonder if having 5 guilds is maybe the reason for this?

Personally I never felt attached to any guilds I’ve joined. Only individuals and raid group with whom I have spent time with.

If ESO only allowed for 1 guild per account, maybe guild loyalty (and RP activities associated with the guild) would be more prevalent? I just don’t know - I haven’t played other MMOs to properly speak on what makes RP more prevalent in games like these.

In this game role players are divided a bit in my opinion. Some use emotes and chat randomly and call it role play, but some use emote chat and describe their characters actions and expect others to do the same for role play. This might be hard to come by for PlayStation because well not sure you can attach a keyboard to that device and type.

You can use a keyboard on playstation, I have a bluetooth keyboard that I use when chatting in guild chat etc, I dislike using the onscreen keyboard
    Soupy twist
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I meant roleplayers like that certain game the OP mentioned, roleplayers in that game are extremely toxic. They start as friendly enough, claims to be inclusive, accepting and understanding and then they start finding flaws in your roleplay or even your costume, start accusing you of some kind of "ist" or "phobic" nonsense and then start mass reporting you. I don't want that kind of *** in this game. Despite being a game for M+ audience, the playerbase in this game is way too sensitive to the point of childish, I don't want more nonsense on top of what we already have.

I'm not sure whether it makes a big difference whether people insult and report each other about real world topics or roleplay topics in chat, so the situation probably wouldn't really get worse. Just one topic more for people to start useless fights.
    I wonder if having 5 guilds is maybe the reason for this?
    Personally I never felt attached to any guilds I’ve joined. Only individuals and raid group with whom I have spent time with.
    If ESO only allowed for 1 guild per account, maybe guild loyalty (and RP activities associated with the guild) would be more prevalent? I just don’t know - I haven’t played other MMOs to properly speak on what makes RP more prevalent in games like these.

For me, only being able to have one guild would mean I would never be able to join a roleplay (or other social) guild because I absolutely need that one slot for a trading guild (I do housing - I need gold).
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • angst
    angst
    bruh it's a mmo, putting dev time into this kinda features wouild not make people happy and the few that would use them would most likely be made fun of for being cringe
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    angst wrote: »
    bruh it's a mmo, putting dev time into this kinda features wouild not make people happy and the few that would use them would most likely be made fun of for being cringe

Yeah, who the hell roleplays in a roleplaying game?! Total cringe!!!!!
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • Jupiter_Storm
    Jupiter_Storm
    ✭✭
    Diebesgut wrote: »
    There are no role players on Playstation (i never saw one on EU server), at best there are occasional players who play with actions and souvenirs ..
    Treeshka wrote: »
    In this game role players are divided a bit in my opinion. Some use emotes and chat randomly and call it role play, but some use emote chat and describe their characters actions and expect others to do the same for role play. This might be hard to come by for PlayStation because well not sure you can attach a keyboard to that device and type
    angst wrote: »
    (I've quote all three as these are extremely valid points and all related to what I have to say here)

To clarify, when I refer to "Roleplay" in this game, I'm not just getting at the players who write emotes and posh text to each other, although that is certainly one facet of it!

ESO - and other RPGs therebesides - are populated by thousands of people who Roleplay in their own way;
    • Building their characters to a theme they have in mind.
    • Imagining little backstories and personalities for them.
    • Dressing them a certain way that echoes their 'theme'.
    • Taking choices in quests that they consider to be 'in character'.

People who do these things but don't necessarily do what we understand to be """"Proper Roleplay"""" are still certainly Roleplay-Adjacent, if not Roleplayers of another feather.

And I daresay a lot of people fall into this category, particularly those who are playing ESO for the 'RPG experience' and the setting they enjoy. Cosmetics, Stories, Housing and so on... All of these things are just as much a valid and popular end game as Trials and PvP.

But as I said, your points are extremely valid also and I get where you're coming from! I hope what I've said makes sense as well?
  • Artem_gig
    Artem_gig
    ✭✭
    as far as I know, when you play a card game, you don't disappear from the world (at least that was the case when I was playing with friends in my house, maybe this applies only to houses?). And damn it, yes! I've been wanting to add dummies that can fight for a long time. I want my dungeon!
  • RedTalon
    RedTalon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You would think, but when one of my chars is simply named the trollnorn all that goes out the door. Granted do have other chars with it has a last name but renamed one of my chars simply to just the trollborn when people thought it was q fun insult hows that for roleplay!
  • ragnarok6644b14_ESO
    As far as the fighting dummies feature request goes, you could even make it "lore-friendly" in an Infinite-Archive-attached house/livingspace, so you can copy maligraphies you've beaten in IA or whatever and 'harness' them in your house.

Freedom of decorating means you could make whatever stage you want ... really, other than the specific movesets, they've almost given us the tools to build our own dungeons. Even moreso, we could select from the NPC movesets possibly by selecting NPC class (at least for not bosses) ... etc.

IDK, spitballing.

As someone who's an RPer, I definitely wish to toggle a public setting that displays next to my name that says "open for walk-up In-Character RP" and "doing OOC activities; this character is not available for walk-Up RP" in so many words.
  • belial5221_ESO
    belial5221_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At a glance, one might certainly think so!

It seems to me that this game is missing some Pretty Darn Basic But Extremely Important Features for promoting Roleplaying, Social Gatherings and other RP-Adjacent activities:
    • The ability to add a 'Roleplayer' tag to our Name Plates (see image below), so people know we're open to being approached in the Open World.
    • Population Count in the House Tours browser (where's the party at, ZOS?) - the ability to see How Many People are in a Listed House, and Filter by Population Count in the Search Tool.
    • A larger selection of 'NORMAL' titles - you know, something like... Woodsman, for collecting lots of wood. Or, I dunno, FIGHTER, for completing the Fighter's Guild! (Fighter's Guild Victor looks extremely silly compared to Master Wizard which you get from the Mages' Guild).
    • Character Biographies! (Accessible via the Radial Menu, perhaps?) - Should work just like Guild Notes, but with a higher character limit. Somewhere you can write about your character, whether that be their backstory, or proudest achievements. -- This could also extend to House Biographies too, for the House Tours System.

(EDIT) - I've also seen fit to separate some of the more Advanced features that have been suggested in this thread below, as they will likely take more work to implement but there is certainly interest out there!
    • The ability to remain in the world when we're playing Tales of Tribute... And to allow others to observe our games. I mean, come on, whose idea was it to just delete our models when we start a card game? T_T
    • The ability to place 'Monster / NPC' Furnishings (beyond just the rather expensive Houseguests - I'm talking for things like setting up little Dungeons or Encounters)
    • The ability to Play actual Instruments, using the Gamepad - not just emotes!

From A Certain Competing MMO:RPG Title:

bJuuO2P.png

If there is anyone out there who agrees, please bump this vigorously and often! What else would you like to see?

(Edited to illuminate a few points which were unclear.)

There's addons for some things for PC,like titles and bios.Setting up dungeons and stuff takes space on servers,especially more elaborate ones,so that not gonna happen,and why housing hasn't gotten more spaces.
  • Bo0137
    Bo0137
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mob assets for housing and specifically housing tour is a very good idea!

But then, there comes again the need to increase the furnishing limit.
    -On my shoulder, Ms. Ahvine
  • Reivax
    Reivax
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm roleplaying the whole time I'm playing this game. I've had these main characters in about every CRPG I've ever played, I think either Ultima III or maybe one of the SSI D&D gold box games was when they were born. They're very fleshed out characters, in my mind, and I'm usually thinking and acting like they would while playing.

But I think what I'm doing isn't matching what you're talking about. What I'm doing is all in my head.
    I don't care about interacting with others in that way. It has never been very fun for me.
    I don't want to know someone's whole backstory all in one dump within the first minute I meet them. In real life, god I'd run as fast and as far away from someone who told me their life story all in the first meeting.
    I also have no interest in reading a wall of purple text where they describe how their elbow is on the bar, how their eyebrows arch in disbelief or how they scratch at their nose... I'd rather watch a Hallmark Christmas movie or gouge my eyes out with a potato peeler.
    Role play for me involves zero 3rd person exposition. If I want to read, I'll go read a book.
    Let your words tell your story. Let me discover your story through multiple play sessions via conversation. Just like real life relationships.
    And I've so far NEVER participated in any MMO role play, back from AOL's Neverwinter Nights to the present, without the discussions always getting creepy at some point. I still have Goldshire Inn basement nightmares from over there back behind the kegs...