Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Thank you for killing my favorite class in the game (Warden).

• BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BlueRaven wrote: »
    Pevey wrote: »
    If I had to guess, I would say this change had less to do with PVP and more to do with how well wardens do in the archive. And that traces back to ZOS’s decision to make ice destruction staff a tanking weapon instead of introducing a separate magical weapon for tanking. And that was back before hybridization when people were asking for a mag alternative to sword and board. Post-hybridization, it would maybe never have happened. And taking the heal off Arctic won’t address the core issue. It will just kill mag warden dps in 12-person content deader than it already was.

Your guess would be wrong. The skill was nerfed due to PvP.

Wrong.

I already posted this earlier in this thread. Please note the bolded portion.

“In this pass, we're tweaking how this ability functions to reduce some of its raw power to do damage, crowd control, and heal all at once. Now, the ability can be used to deal the same total damage over its duration, with more damage focused on an up-front hit - granting the Warden a class-based area effect spammable that it previously lacked. Additionally, we're changing the healing to be a conditional requirement rather than a guarantee, so the ability can act as a heal when you back away from the fight, rather than outright removing it.It is our hope that these changes still help the Warden class have access to powerful tools from their kit, without the overwhelming power they enabled in PvP situations.“

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/664131/pc-mac-patch-notes-v10-1-5-update-43#latest

I don't care what they make up in their Developer Notes. Had you actually played PvP, especially since Gold Road you know that basically no Warden used Arctic Blast. They used Healing Soul, or Polar Wind.

It's quite obvious to me, that this change is because of Infinite Archives, because Arctic is an insanely good damage skill there, and a heal.

Warden was the best DD in IA without a doubt and survived almost solely on Arctic Blast while it did several hundred thousand damage ticks with chilled.

The people who instigated the nerf, gave their reasoning. End of story.
  • BananaBender
    BananaBender
    ✭✭✭
    If I had to guess, I would say this change had less to do with PVP and more to do with how well wardens do in the archive. And that traces back to ZOS’s decision to make ice destruction staff a tanking weapon instead of introducing a separate magical weapon for tanking. And that was back before hybridization when people were asking for a mag alternative to sword and board. Post-hybridization, it would maybe never have happened. And taking the heal off Arctic won’t address the core issue. It will just kill mag warden dps in 12-person content deader than it already was.

Wrong.

“In this pass, we're tweaking how this ability functions to reduce some of its raw power to do damage, crowd control, and heal all at once. Now, the ability can be used to deal the same total damage over its duration, with more damage focused on an up-front hit - granting the Warden a class-based area effect spammable that it previously lacked. Additionally, we're changing the healing to be a conditional requirement rather than a guarantee, so the ability can act as a heal when you back away from the fight, rather than outright removing it.It is our hope that these changes still help the Warden class have access to powerful tools from their kit, without the overwhelming power they enabled in PvP situations.“

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/664131/pc-mac-patch-notes-v10-1-5-update-43#latest

I don't care what they make up in their Developer Notes. Had you actually played PvP, especially since Gold Road you know that basically no Warden used Arctic Blast. They used Healing Soul, or Polar Wind.

It's quite obvious to me, that this change is because of Infinite Archives, because Arctic is an insanely good damage skill there, and a heal.

Warden was the best DD in IA without a doubt and survived almost solely on Arctic Blast while it did several hundred thousand damage ticks with chilled.

I just don't see why they would lie in their own patch notes about their reasoning for the nerf. It doesn't really make sense.

Also, warden isn't even a problem in IA. It has the highest damage potential absolutely, but with Pale Order you already have infinite healing, so the only things killing you are one shots. If they wanted to nerf people's progression in IA , they should look into DK with Magma Shell, not warden. This nerf did very little other than annoy anyone who isn't using Pale Order in IA.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why is a weird Arcanist spamming Stamina laser beams a godly DPS with minimal skill level, insane AoE, and is functionally amazing in all content… while my Ice Warden comparatively sucks no matter how perfect I play it?

Putting aside all other gameplay concerns, if we could play our favorite Archetypes in all content and be effective, most people would be happy. Nerfing Ice Warden doesn’t make any sense.

I think it’s sad that ESO Logs and in-game Leaderboards can accurately portray the effectiveness of each class in each role, and yet gameplay balance is still so lopsided.

They said the ice skills of warden are intended for tanking, not damage.

Yeah and it was a really bad decision imo. Make a Alteration staff or something for tanking, instead of confining a popular archetype to a role that makes no sense

I agree it was a bad decision.

I like the idea of a dedicated NEW staff for tanking and returning ice to a damage role. They have a damage and healing staff weapons, so it seems silly to not have a tanking staff weapon to round out the three roles. I doubt we will see any significant new weapons, and certainly not one dedicated to tanking.
    ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Major_Toughness
    Major_Toughness
    ✭✭✭✭

Wrong.

I just don't see why they would lie in their own patch notes about their reasoning for the nerf. It doesn't really make sense.

Also, warden isn't even a problem in IA. It has the highest damage potential absolutely, but with Pale Order you already have infinite healing, so the only things killing you are one shots. If they wanted to nerf people's progression in IA , they should look into DK with Magma Shell, not warden. This nerf did very little other than annoy anyone who isn't using Pale Order in IA.

Probably copy and pasted a different developer note.

Arctic Blast has not been an issue in PvP for years. Polar Wind on the other hand has been an issue for as long as I can remember. The change itself makes no sense, but it's even more confusing with the reasoning they gave.

And the previous duo IA record Warden used Velothi the entire run (Arc 35ish? Can't remember). No pale order. Yes the tank was perma magma but since the Arctic nerf you pretty much need Pale Order.

Not going to go into a IA discussion further because yes, perma Magma basically the only way to get far. Any other class has a hard cap of where you literally can not survive.
    Edited by Major_Toughness on 8 September 2024 23:46
    PC EU > You
  • autocookies
    autocookies
    ✭✭✭
    deleted
    Edited by autocookies on 9 September 2024 15:51
    PC NA (Tank/DPS) - [PVE]
    Started ESO - Oct 2020

Necro Main
    Tank main from 300cp - 1200cp at which point I switched to DPS - I am 100k+ on every class except werewolf.

[My toons]
    Note: Armory slots are separated by "|" below.
    • (Libitina Khalida) Dark Elf Necromancer: Vampire Off Tank | Werewolf EC DPS
    • (Fresh Gator Meat) Argonian Dragonknight: Vampire Main Tank | Werewolf ZK DPS
    • (Electro-Meowster) Khajiit Sorcerer: Vampire HA Solo | Werewolf MK DPS
    • (Affah Beta Gamma) Breton Templar: Vampire SPC/PA Healer | Werewolf Mag DPS.
    • (Arctic Mist) Dark Elf Warden: Vampire ROJO Healer | Werewolf Dungeon Tank
    • (autocookies) Imperial Arcanist: Vampire Stam DPS | Werewolf Dungeon Tank
    • (Blood of Death) Dark Elf Nightblade: Vampire EMPTY | Werewolf EMPTY
    • (Aeriegil Forestbranch) Wood Elf Warden: Werewolf PVP | Werewolf EMPTY
    Thank you,
    Autocookies