Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Time For An Expansion To Bring To Life The Trailer Characters?

Paulytnz
Paulytnz
✭✭✭✭✭
When you watch any (I think) of the main game or expansion trailers you will notice they feature the same few chars every time who don't exist in the game at this time, at all anywhere in any story. I know they are supposed to represent us, the players. But are we passed all that now?

I think the trailers are good and each in their own way COULD tell their own stories if only the time and effort was put in. They could feature the same trailer vids perhaps with more new ones, per story told per expansion. I am not asking for all to be done at once or something crazy like that. Perhaps bring in 1 per yearly cycle or so. A small-ish story, featuring the new chars (old really but you know what I mean lol) and the semi story their current trailers already sort of tell.

When I first looked at this game before playing it, like most people I watched the game trailers and thought these look like cool chars and this looks like a cool story. Only to be disappointed later on when I found out they did not exist and neither did those stories. In fact, it all seemed to have little to NOTHING to do with the actual game. The game won me over anyway and I stayed. I wonder how many people did not stick with the game because of this, however? And that's a shame.

So, who's with me? Come on ZOS, create these cool stories/chars and do more with these trailers. Actually have them relate to the game.
Edited by Paulytnz on 30 August 2024 07:51
  • Djennku
    Djennku
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The characters in the trailers are representations of the player character, so technically they are already in the game.
    @Djennku, PCNA.

Grand Master crafter, all styles and all furnishing plans known pre U41.
    Vamp and WW bites available for players.
    Shoot me an in-game mail if you need anything, happy to help!
  • NoireJin the Witchking
    Djennku wrote: »
    The characters in the trailers are representations of the player character, so technically they are already in the game.

You just made the same point the OP made... They recognize they are representing us. but we've actually fallen in love with them as they're badass and cool and I for one, I cant speak for everyone, would love to see them as NPC. Again, we know they represent the player.
  • GuuMoonRyoung
    GuuMoonRyoung
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe a dlc around Ithelia where we find out that everything we did in game was done by these unsung heroes in another reality and Ithelia hid them for some reason or such.
    [snip]

Can you not bring in real life politics in here?

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on 30 August 2024 15:09
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know that tastes differ, but I personally somehow always found these characters horribly boring. I mean, as player character representations, they probably have to be characterless placeholders, but still - I find nothing about them interesting.

And if the presentation was exactly the same, it also wouldn't be any different if they were orc, Khajiit and Dunmer instead.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • TybaltKaine
    TybaltKaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they were to ever include these characters, and not just the "big three" but all the various character stand ins from various trailers, I suspect it would be as Companions and not partially fleshed out NPC's that are mostly fire and forget once you leave the zone behind.
    • Tybalt Kaine Khajiit Nightblade Aldmeri Dominion
    • PC/NA
    • Guildmaster- Lucky Raven
    • Knight of Marrow - Blackfeather Academy
    • Adepti- The Witches Goblet
    • "Nightblade healer huh? How does that work?"
    • "I drain the blood of our enemies and fire it into you. It's a lot less messy than it sounds, and yeah I'm basically a Vampire without the whole AGH FIRE BAD"
  • ZOS_Icy
    ZOS_Icy
    mod
    Greetings,

We have recently removed some unnecessary back and forth from this thread. This is a reminder to keep the discussion civil and constructive. Please keep our Community Rules in mind moving forward.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I was disappointed that the Gold Road trailer made it seem like the Daedric guy Torvesard was actually using the staff to free Ithelia, but that is not what happened in the game. She just mysteriously woke up and wandered off. So anticlimactic. It sort of spoiled the story for me.

These trailers are probably high cost production items and I prefer actual gameplay being shown for games that I might be interested in but have not played yet. I assume they would be less costly production as well. It seems the trend nowadays is to have these cinematic trailers instead though.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    These trailers are probably high cost production items and I prefer actual gameplay being shown for games that I might be interested in but have not played yet. I assume they would be less costly production as well. It seems the trend nowadays is to have these cinematic trailers instead though.

I personally don't mind cinematic trailers in general, but somehow I've never been a fan of ESO's. They seem so strangely generic, and sometimes even have nothing at all to do with what the chapter is about (the weirdest was the Morrowind trailer where Naryu assassinates the former Morag Tong leader). The elves not really looking like TES elves but like human cosplayers doesn't help either.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Syldras wrote: »

I personally don't mind cinematic trailers in general, but somehow I've never been a fan of ESO's. They seem so strangely generic, and sometimes even have nothing at all to do with what the chapter is about (the weirdest was the Morrowind trailer where Naryu assassinates the former Morag Tong leader). The elves not really looking like TES elves but like human cosplayers doesn't help either.

I don’t think I’ve seen that one, I don’t go looking for spoilers though.

With cinematic trailers I would think they run the risk that players will be disappointed that the game graphics are not as good as trailer quality, and might be disappointed. I remember watching an early Diablo 4 trailer and I was disappointed that it didn’t show me anything about the game, just some guy walking through snow and finding a cave. I guess it was supposed to be mystical but was boring, confusing, and completely unhelpful to me. At least the ESO trailers are better than that.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The stand-ins in the trailers are of no interest to me at all. In fact, the trailers are of no interest to me (except for You Belong Here - THAT one is awesome!)

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- four accounts, many alts....
  • LesserCircle
    LesserCircle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No thanks, they're cool for the trailers but I don't want them in the game, maybe some new updated costumes for them or hairstyles or whatever but that's it.
  • Grec1a
    Grec1a
    ✭✭✭
    TaSheen wrote: »
    In fact, the trailers are of no interest to me (except for You Belong Here - THAT one is awesome!)

That would make a great DLC: meeting your new (and interesting) companions organically as the adventure progresses... rather than having them standing at the wayshrine constantly nagging you.
    It's a tradition, or an old charter, or something...
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I *love* the faction heros from the cinematic trailers, but since they represent the player I'm OK with them not appearing as separate NPCs in the game. Having said that, I do hope ZOS continues to feature them in their trailers--like another comment said above, they are really cool and badass, and their designs are amazing.
  • LaintalAy
    LaintalAy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't watch them. That solves this sort of issue for me.
    REQUIREMENTS NOT MET
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grec1a wrote: »
    TaSheen wrote: »
    In fact, the trailers are of no interest to me (except for You Belong Here - THAT one is awesome!)

That would make a great DLC: meeting your new (and interesting) companions organically as the adventure progresses... rather than having them standing at the wayshrine constantly nagging you.

I had that thought while watching it the first time. If THAT was how companions were met, I'd be far more likely to use them!

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- four accounts, many alts....
  • Paulytnz
    Paulytnz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they were to ever include these characters, and not just the "big three" but all the various character stand ins from various trailers, I suspect it would be as Companions and not partially fleshed out NPC's that are mostly fire and forget once you leave the zone behind.

Oh I would not mind this as an alternative, at least they would actually exist, and we get to interact with them.
    I was disappointed that the Gold Road trailer made it seem like the Daedric guy Torvesard was actually using the staff to free Ithelia, but that is not what happened in the game. She just mysteriously woke up and wandered off. So anticlimactic. It sort of spoiled the story for me.

I agree with everything you said. They seem to only be good at hyping up the games they represent, nothing more which is a shame.