The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 13:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 13
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 14, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
We will be performing maintenance for patch 10.0.4 on the PTS on Monday at 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC).

Ideas for Werewolf Scribed Skills

Erickson9610
Erickson9610
✭✭✭✭✭
As there is the possibility of getting new Grimoires for other skill lines in the future, and Werewolf is the only playstyle which cannot use any of the existing Grimoires, I'd like to draft some ideas that could potentially become new Scribing skills that Werewolf players will be able to use. I've already shared these ideas in the Update 42 Feedback Thread for Scribing, but I'd like to share it again here so that it can get more visibility. I'll also take the opportunity to provide sample screenshots to illustrate what I mean.

Here's a list of 3 different Grimoire ideas I've come up with. Knowing that there are two Soul Magic Grimoires, it's not out of the picture that we may get multiple Grimoires per skill line, and it's likely that when we do get more Grimoires added to the game, ZOS may prioritize skill lines which do not currently have a Grimoire, such as Support, Undaunted, Vampire, or Werewolf.
  • Savage Bite (Somewhat like Werewolf Behemoth's "Vicious Bite" attack. Single target ability where the werewolf bites the target. I don't recall a single biting animation for the standard Werewolf armature, but there are examples in other Werewolf animations where they bite.)
    • Focus Scripts: Sundering Bite (Physical Damage), Bloody Bite (Bleed Damage), Pestilent Bite (Disease Damage), Goading Bite (Taunt), Traumatic Bite (Trauma)
    • Signature Scripts: Class Mastery, Hunter's Snare, Assassin's Misery, Wayfarer's Mastery, Leeching Thirst, Immobilizing Strike, Lingering Torment, Warmage's Defense, Warrior's Opportunity
    • Affix Scripts: Berserk, Expedition, Maim, Off Balance, Vulnerability, Savagery and Prophecy, Resolve, Breach, Mangle, Evasion, Brutality and Sorcery, Cowardice, Defile, Interrupt
pbjupapmviij.png
Like Werewolf Behemoth's "Vicious Bite" skill, this ability might have a range of 9 meters, while Piercing Howl and its morphs have a range of 10 meters. It's important to note that if Trauma is a valid Focus Script for this skill, it might end up costing Magicka with that Script. This would be interesting to work with as a debuff skill in PvP, and with the damage types available, it might be a viable replacement for Piercing Howl in PvE. I can imagine a Werewolf tank would use Taunt and Breach to make the Werewolf version of Puncture.

• Ruthless Rampage (Somewhat like Torchbearer. 2 second channeled cone ability where the werewolf swipes with their claws twice in quick succession, reusing the Werewolf animation that plays when opening doors in Werewolf form. It used to be accessible via the "/smash" emote before the ability to use emotes in Werewolf form was disabled.)
    • Focus Scripts: Sundering Rampage (Physical Damage), Bloody Rampage (Bleed Damage), Pestilent Rampage (Disease Damage), Dazing Rampage (Stun), Repelling Rampage (Knockback), Binding Rampage (Immobilize)
    • Signature Scripts: Class Mastery, Hunter's Snare, Lingering Torment, Warrior's Opportunity, Gladiator's Tenacity, Warmage's Defense, Fencer's Parry, Sage's Remedy, Leeching Thirst, Immobilizing Strike, Knight's Valor, Wayfarer's Mastery
    • Affix Scripts: Brutality and Sorcery, Savagery and Prophecy, Lifesteal, Off Balance, Mangle, Interrupt, Maim, Resolve, Expedition, Force, Empower, Defile
nr2869rqdhbk.png
In particular, I'd like to use this skill with the Knockback Script. It'd be like how in TES V: Skyrim, you could knock enemies around in Werewolf form. Maybe the Knockback would apply on the second of the two hits, in order to give enemies time to react. Regardless, this is a great opportunity to get a channeled skill into Werewolf's toolkit (aside from heavy attacking) so that Werewolf can benefit from sets like Deadly Strike. Reusing an existing Werewolf animation would probably make this easier to implement.

• Hunter's Grounds (Somewhat like Secluded Grove or Ritual of Retribution. Ground AoE effect themed after The Hunting Grounds. Maybe this skill reuses the animation Werewolves do when they revive a player, where they hold their hand towards the ground. It could also just reuse the same "howling" animation as Hircine's Bounty. Like Mender's Bond, this ability doesn't change its name via the Focus Script prefix.)
    • Focus Scripts: Magic Damage, Poison Damage, Dispel, Pull, Restore Resources, Mitigation, Immobilize, Healing, Damage Shield, Generate Ultimate
    • Signature Scripts: Class Mastery, Hunter's Snare, Immobilizing Strike, Lingering Torment, Thief's Swiftness, Wayfarer's Mastery, Warrior's Opportunity, Sage's Remedy, Druid's Resurgence, Crusader's Defiance, Growing Impact, Gladiator's Tenacity, Knight's Valor, Thief's Swiftness
    • Affix Scripts: Vitality, Breach, Evasion, Resolve, Protection, Courage, Expedition, Intellect and Endurance, Magickasteal, Berserk, Vulnerability, Cowardice, Brutality and Sorcery, Savagery and Prophecy, Defile, Heroism
lboae01drjlr.png
This one is the most versatile of the three. It could be used as an AoE damage ability, similar to Ritual of Retribution, using Poison Damage or Magic Damage, both of which aren't found in Werewolf's toolkit. Or, it could be used as a support ability, to heal and buff allies within it, which would make for Werewolf's first in-kit crossheal ability. Werewolf tanks could use it to pull in enemies, since they lack a pull in their toolkit.

The theming of the skill is also very nice. The idea of Hircine blessing the grounds you hunt on would be a good reason to include an AoE ground effect in Werewolf's toolkit. Scripts such as Hunter's Snare are particularly appropriate for such a skill. I imagine the VFX for this ground AoE might be similar to Secluded Grove, but with flora taken from The Hunting Grounds:
r6hfj9n2ptnc.png

Finally, the Wayfarer's Mastery Signature Script plays into the related skill line's passives and mechanics. For the Werewolf skill line, I'd expect some of the following, depending on the Werewolf Grimoire in question:
  • Grants you the bonus of the Blood Rage passive ability, increasing the duration of your Werewolf Transformation.
  • Enemies hit are afflicted with the Terrified effect, increasing their damage taken from your Piercing Howl ability.
  • Enemies take 10% more damage from this ability when Terrified.
  • Reduces the cost of Werewolf Transformation for affected allies by 33%.
  • Reduces the cost of Werewolf Transformation for affected allies and grants them the bonus of their Blood Rage passive, extending the duration of their Werewolf Transformation.

What do you all think of these ideas? Do you have any ideas of your own?
@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_Kevin
Edited by Erickson9610 on 28 April 2024 21:17
PC/NA — Lone Werewolf, the Templar Khajiit Werewolf

Werewolf Should be Allowed to Sneak
  • LadyLavina
    LadyLavina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please let me have an emote to pat werewolves who are in my group. They are good doggos. @huskandhunger
    PC - NA @LadyLavina 1800+ CP PvP Tank and PvP Healer
    Options
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    these grimoires would be fun
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
    Options
  • huskandhunger
    huskandhunger
    ✭✭✭✭
    LadyLavina wrote: »
    Please let me have an emote to pat werewolves who are in my group. They are good doggos. @huskandhunger

eheeh yes please ^__^ may we have a pet werewolf emote @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_Kevin

For me the biggest thing in werewolf scribing as a concept would be to have very different elemental forms of abilities to engage with more status effects like fire, ice, lightning since like Balorgh has cool tattoos and has access to all the elements, it'd be cool if we did too.

Something like a version of Claws of Life but it's some other ability instead that can replace it that like summons tendril vines and yanks opponents in, or something maybe more nature themed even. I dunno, or like again a favorite of mine, the icy breath, or something like that, or some kind fire crush / leap attack, something edgy and cool ^__^

heck an ability that could grant a heal over time and specifically a cleanse effect would do wonders for werewolf players specifically :D
    Options
  • TX12001rwb17_ESO
    TX12001rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Vampires need a grimoire as well.

The unique effect would be that it is affected by Vampire passives thus becoming cheaper the higher your stage and could be similar to that "Hunter's Ground" ability mentioned above only instead of plants the area would be swarmed with bats.

Although I am surprised people even play Werewolves, they are just not as cool as a concept as Vampires are more so given your form is diminutive compared to most NPC Werewolves, Can never feel like a powerful Werewolf given them circumstances, at least with Vampires you get a unique form that no NPC possesses.
    Options
  • Erickson9610
    Erickson9610
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vampires need a grimoire as well.

The unique effect would be that it is affected by Vampire passives thus becoming cheaper the higher your stage and could be similar to that "Hunter's Ground" ability mentioned above only instead of plants the area would be swarmed with bats.

Although I am surprised people even play Werewolves, they are just not as cool as a concept as Vampires are more so given your form is diminutive compared to most NPC Werewolves, Can never feel like a powerful Werewolf given them circumstances, at least with Vampires you get a unique form that no NPC possesses.

Well, given that a Vampire Grimoire would be listed as a 6th Vampire skill anyway, it'll already benefit from the bonuses of your Vampire Stage.

I'm not an expert with the Vampire playstyle, so I don't know what Vampire needs to be viable in PvE/PvP with a toolkit of primarily Vampire abilities. A ground AoE for Vampire would be pretty fun, I'd imagine — undoubtedly some Scripts like Leeching Thirst (which is generally implemented on Grimoires as a "heal for % of damage inflicted") would be included due to the nature of Vampire, but what other Scripts would you want for such a skill? I can see Magic Damage or Bleed Damage for damage dealers, Healing or Restore Resources for support, and maybe Pull for tanking.

For Wayfarer's Mastery on Vampire Grimoires, they'd probably look something like this:
    • Grants you the bonus of the Strike from the Shadows passive ability, increasing your Weapon and Spell Damage by 300 for 6 seconds.
    • Increases your Vampire Stage by 1.
    • Decreases your Vampire Stage by 1.
    • Increases the duration of your current Vampire Stage, up to a maximum of 2 hours.
    If Vampire got multiple Grimoires themselves, I could see the merit in being able to change their Stage at will by casting specific Vampire Grimoires, or being able to functionally "pause" their timer by using a Vampire Grimoire which has an implementation of Wayfarer's Mastery which extends the timer for the current stage. Though, I find that the Strike from the Shadows passive would probably be the easiest to proc via Signature Script, and perhaps the most useful in practice.

Though, that's just quick brainstorming. What else would you like to see for Vampire Grimoires, @TX12001rwb17_ESO?
    Edited by Erickson9610 on 28 April 2024 05:31

Options
  • Panderbander
    Panderbander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every grimoire is already a vampire grimoire. Literally no restriction exists. The only thing that needs dev focus as far as grimoires go is werewolves for the simple fact that we have yet again been completely forgotten about.

I do absolutely think that a bite animation type ability would be very thematic; in particular if there were a particular animation to use, the one where NPC werewolves do an aoe knockdown followed by slashes and two bites would fit perfectly. That said, I do feel like that might also be excellent as a never-to-be-implemented werewolf ultimate.
    Leader of Lycan Syndicate, PC NA's tri-faction werewolf guild.~~~Played since the beta, got the monkey.~~~"The blood of the pack is now yours. They are your only family, your only allegiance!"
    Options
  • CP5
    CP5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I always enjoy finding underutilized ways to support my groups, especially back when I was doing trials with, the lower half of the dps, and the idea of a werewolf being able to provide group wide ultimate is a very interesting idea. Since you can't use the ultimate while transformed, you're already missing out on that resource during the fight, so essentially re-directing it to other members of the group would be a cool way to empower allies and maybe make werewolves more accepted in group content. Hopefully stuff like this can be added, as spells inevitably get added to the system over time.
    Options
  • Erickson9610
    Erickson9610
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CP5 wrote: »
    I always enjoy finding underutilized ways to support my groups, especially back when I was doing trials with, the lower half of the dps, and the idea of a werewolf being able to provide group wide ultimate is a very interesting idea. Since you can't use the ultimate while transformed, you're already missing out on that resource during the fight, so essentially re-directing it to other members of the group would be a cool way to empower allies and maybe make werewolves more accepted in group content. Hopefully stuff like this can be added, as spells inevitably get added to the system over time.

I also think Werewolf being able to provide others with Ultimate would be a fun idea! In particular, I'd set up "Hunter's Grounds" like this:
    • Generate Ultimate
    • Wayfarer's Mastery (Reduces the cost of Werewolf Transformation for affected allies and grants them the bonus of their Blood Rage passive, extending the duration of their Werewolf Transformation.)
    • Heroism
    So it'd be an AoE themed after The Hunting Grounds that helps Werewolves get into form and stay in form. There's a lot of opportunity for Werewolf support builds if they could provide allies with Ultimate, or provide fellow Werewolves with more time in their transformation.
    Edited by Erickson9610 on 28 April 2024 18:47

Options
  • Erickson9610
    Erickson9610
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CP5 wrote: »

I also think Werewolf being able to provide others with Ultimate would be a fun idea! In particular, I'd set up "Hunter's Grounds" like this:
    • Generate Ultimate
    • Wayfarer's Mastery (Reduces the cost of Werewolf Transformation for affected allies and grants them the bonus of their Blood Rage passive, extending the duration of their Werewolf Transformation.)
    • Heroism
    So it'd be an AoE themed after The Hunting Grounds that helps Werewolves get into form and stay in form. There's a lot of opportunity for Werewolf support builds if they could provide allies with Ultimate, or provide fellow Werewolves with more time in their transformation.

To visualize, here's what such a skill might look like with these Scripts:
    bwv62trbhxi9.png

This sort of skill would make Werewolves useful in group content. Again, it'd be useful for getting players into Werewolf form and keeping them in Werewolf form, which is thematically appropriate for a skill themed after The Hunting Grounds, and it meshes well with the idea of Werewolves supporting one another as a pack.
    Edited by Erickson9610 on 28 April 2024 20:09

Options
  • Erickson9610
    Erickson9610
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    • Ruthless Rampage (Somewhat like Torchbearer. 2 second channeled cone ability where the werewolf swipes with their claws twice in quick succession, reusing the Werewolf animation that plays when opening doors in Werewolf form. It used to be accessible via the "/smash" emote before the ability to use emotes in Werewolf form was disabled.)
      • Focus Scripts: Sundering Rampage (Physical Damage), Bloody Rampage (Bleed Damage), Pestilent Rampage (Disease Damage), Dazing Rampage (Stun), Repelling Rampage (Knockback), Binding Rampage (Immobilize)
      • Signature Scripts: Class Mastery, Hunter's Snare, Lingering Torment, Warrior's Opportunity, Gladiator's Tenacity, Warmage's Defense, Fencer's Parry, Sage's Remedy, Leeching Thirst, Immobilizing Strike, Knight's Valor, Wayfarer's Mastery
      • Affix Scripts: Brutality and Sorcery, Savagery and Prophecy, Lifesteal, Off Balance, Mangle, Interrupt, Maim, Resolve, Expedition, Force, Empower, Defile
    nr2869rqdhbk.png
    In particular, I'd like to use this skill with the Knockback Script. It'd be like how in TES V: Skyrim, you could knock enemies around in Werewolf form. Maybe the Knockback would apply on the second of the two hits, in order to give enemies time to react. Regardless, this is a great opportunity to get a channeled skill into Werewolf's toolkit (aside from heavy attacking) so that Werewolf can benefit from sets like Deadly Strike. Reusing an existing Werewolf animation would probably make this easier to implement.

Just for fun, this is what this Grimoire could look like if it had the following Scripts:
    • Knockback
    • Wayfarer's Mastery
    • Off Balance

x11ji3w13hzo.png

This could be a viable alternative to Ferocious Roar for sourcing the Terrified debuff. I think the Knockback part would be the most fun, though — a callback to how easy it was to fling enemies around as a werewolf in TES V: Skyrim. There's no doubt an enemy would be Terrified by that!

Or, what if you don't want to use Roar as a damage dealer Werewolf, due to concern of putting enemies on crowd control immunity? You could swap out Ferocious Roar for a Werewolf Grimoire that could help your DPS out. For example, here's one possible configuration of "Savage Bite":
    • Bleed Damage
    • Lingering Torment
    • Berserk

5fea0unykaz9.png

Note that this skill can provide Major Savagery and Prophecy, which would otherwise be lost if Ferocious Roar was swapped out. Using "Bloody Bite", a Werewolf damage dealer could focus building into Bleed Damage, possibly using sets like Blooddrinker. Then instead of casting Ferocious Roar every 10 seconds, a Werewolf could bite the enemy every 10 seconds.

Options
  • huskandhunger
    huskandhunger
    ✭✭✭✭
    So this idea comes from the player LilRayna who doesn't have a forum account, but gave me permission to post it on the forums, the idea is that there could be a special type of werewolf food that if your werewolf eats, they become a siege wolf, and maybe this form could be the ever desirable behemoth wolf form like we see in Moon Hunter Keep, that players can then use to break down doors and attack keeps in Cyrodiil with. ^_^

Alternatively, this also seems like it could be a great idea for a grimoire-type ability, with maybe werewolf gaining a siege type ability that can work on both structures and players, where you lose your bleed type damage, but gain the ability to damage keeps and doors, and maybe gain a knockback effect against players something like every couple seconds. :)
    Options
  • huskandhunger
    huskandhunger
    ✭✭✭✭
    nr2869rqdhbk.png

Just for fun, this is what this Grimoire could look like if it had the following Scripts:
    • Knockback
    • Wayfarer's Mastery
    • Off Balance

x11ji3w13hzo.png

This could be a viable alternative to Ferocious Roar for sourcing the Terrified debuff. I think the Knockback part would be the most fun, though — a callback to how easy it was to fling enemies around as a werewolf in TES V: Skyrim. There's no doubt an enemy would be Terrified by that!

Or, what if you don't want to use Roar as a damage dealer Werewolf, due to concern of putting enemies on crowd control immunity? You could swap out Ferocious Roar for a Werewolf Grimoire that could help your DPS out. For example, here's one possible configuration of "Savage Bite":
    • Bleed Damage
    • Lingering Torment
    • Berserk

5fea0unykaz9.png

Note that this skill can provide Major Savagery and Prophecy, which would otherwise be lost if Ferocious Roar was swapped out. Using "Bloody Bite", a Werewolf damage dealer could focus building into Bleed Damage, possibly using sets like Blooddrinker. Then instead of casting Ferocious Roar every 10 seconds, a Werewolf could bite the enemy every 10 seconds.

omg yes i love this, this would be SOO exciting! :D
    Options
  • noblecron
    noblecron
    ✭✭✭✭
    How about a werewolf grimooire that could turn you into a large wolf mount <3
    Options
  • noblecron
    noblecron
    ✭✭✭✭
    Actually thinking about it. Give us old mist form and bat swarm for an attack in some form or even a mount skill please <3
    Options
  • huskandhunger
    huskandhunger
    ✭✭✭✭
    noblecron wrote: »
    How about a werewolf grimooire that could turn you into a large wolf mount <3

Oooo I would like that ^^ then you could give your friends rides into battle
    Options
  • huskandhunger
    huskandhunger
    ✭✭✭✭
    noblecron wrote: »
    Actually thinking about it. Give us old mist form and bat swarm for an attack in some form or even a mount skill please <3

Yess a rapid blurred werewolf dash
    Options
  • huskandhunger
    huskandhunger
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also @noblecron brown wolf pic is best wolf 🐺 🤜🤛
    Options
  • Erickson9610
    Erickson9610
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It occurred to me that because Grimoire Scripts are implemented differently based on the particular Grimoire being used, that beneficial Affix Scripts for some Werewolf Grimoires could supply their bonuses while the ability is slotted, much like how we get Major Brutality and Sorcery for slotting Hircine's Bounty or Major Savagery and Prophecy for slotting Ferocious Roar.

So, if we wanted to swap Hircine's Bounty out, maybe we could get a Werewolf Grimoire whose Brutality and Sorcery Affix Script is implemented like "While slotted, you gain Major Brutality and Sorcery". Then for some of the other Affix Scripts, such as Resolve, they could be implemented as "While slotted, you gain Minor Resolve", because Major Resolve is already covered by the Savage Strength passive.

Options
  • Erickson9610
    Erickson9610
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a gif of some existing Werewolf animations that NPC werewolves use to attack the player:

dhtc1gblyhsz.gif

I've suggested that some of these animations ought to be reused for new Werewolf skills (via Scribing) in the past. This would be a cost-effective way of introducing Grimoires for the Werewolf skill line.

Options