The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

ESO+ sub is it possible to opt out from storing Debit card info?

RexyCat
RexyCat
✭✭✭✭
In the process of starting an ESO+ sub there is "Save my payment information for future purchases" that you can untick. Is it safe to untick this and ESO will continue to withdraw each month a subscription fee?
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They can't withdraw the monthly fee if there isn't any payment info saved to withdraw it from.
    PCNA
    Options
  • RexyCat
    RexyCat
    ✭✭✭✭
    They can't withdraw the monthly fee if there isn't any payment info saved to withdraw it from.

Sounds like what I suspected. Maybe that opt out is for other purchase methods then cc or debit cards?
    Options
  • Alastrine
    Alastrine
    ✭✭✭✭
    RexyCat wrote: »

Sounds like what I suspected. Maybe that opt out is for other purchase methods then cc or debit cards?

Some people will opt out but no, it doesn't matter what method you use, it won't auto renew.
    It will try to, but you'll get an email saying the renew failed.
    Some people just want to renew it themselves every month and not store info. I have known a few who did it this way, if they forgot they'd get the email then go do it. Pretty sure that's how it worked for them.
    Edited by Alastrine on 30 March 2024 02:56
    Options
  • ProudMary
    ProudMary
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Forcing customers to manually go in and cancel the subscription after purchase to stop auto billing should not be a legal marketing practice. We should have to opt in to any subscription to have it auto renew.

Edited by ProudMary on 30 March 2024 22:19
    Options
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree it would be better to offer a one-off subscription payment, but I've never found it to be a big problem. I sign up for ESO+ and keep the web page open, log into the game to make sure it's active then immediately cancel the renewal.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
    Options
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ProudMary wrote: »
    We should have to opt in to any subscription to have it auto renew.

When a player signs up for ESO+ they are opting in.
    PCNA
    Options
  • ProudMary
    ProudMary
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No, we aren't. We are being forced into an auto renew subscription. After subbing, we have to go in and cancel the subscription manually because the system is set up to automatically auto renew. There should be a box we have to check to enable auto renewing the sub. ZOS shouldn't force the auto renew situation on us automatically.
    Options
  • RexyCat
    RexyCat
    ✭✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »
    I agree it would be better to offer a one-off subscription payment, but I've never found it to be a big problem. I sign up for ESO+ and keep the web page open, log into the game to make sure it's active then immediately cancel the renewal.

The main point with opt out option is to keep credit/debit card information secure, if there would be any database leak or Zeni get hacked which isn't something that anybody can

No, we aren't. We are being forced into an auto renew subscription. After subbing, we have to go in and cancel the subscription manually because the system is set up to automatically auto renew. There should be a box we have to check to enable auto renewing the sub. ZOS shouldn't force the auto renew situation on us automatically.

I don't have issue with auto renewal system by itself, but when there is an option to opt out where you can untick to store your credit card or debit card information, that it also means that you will not have that information stored.

What is the point to offer opt out when your purchase method will still be stored?

If ZoS still need that information, then at least provide information about the limitation for what opt out means on that page and for when an opt out will be possible.
    Options
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually, you are opting in. No one is being forced to do anything. ZOS sells recurring subscriptions. If you can find an ESO Plus time card somewhere, that would be an alternative to the recurring subscription. I have not seen one in ages, though. Otherwise, the player can simply not subscribe, or can turn around and cancel. I do the latter. It really isn't a big deal, but I would take the time cards if I could find them.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
    Options
  • Alastrine
    Alastrine
    ✭✭✭✭

It would be nice to have a "1 month, no renewal" option.
    It might actually encourage some who don't want to sub continuously or worry about it auto renewing to buy that one month now and then during the year.
    Of course, ZoS would rather make you do the cancellation (which really isn't a big deal either, just do it the next day after signing up but I get it) because they will hope for that second month payment etc.

I like your suggestion of a box to check / uncheck for auto renew :)
    Options
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The main point with opt out option is to keep credit/debit card information secure, if there would be any database leak or Zeni get hacked which isn't something that anybody can

If it's saved I remove it at the same time. It's been a while since I subscribed and I can't remember every step in the process exactly, but I thought that was obvious.
    Alastrine wrote: »
    Of course, ZoS would rather make you do the cancellation (which really isn't a big deal either, just do it the next day after signing up but I get it) because they will hope for that second month payment etc.

You don't even have to wait until the next day. I always wait until I've logged in to make sure it's active, just in case it didn't work (I assume you can subscribe while logged in but I've never tried) but at most it's been about 10-15 minutes.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
    Options
  • RexyCat
    RexyCat
    ✭✭✭✭

If it's saved I remove it at the same time. It's been a while since I subscribed and I can't remember every step in the process exactly, but I thought that was obvious.
    Alastrine wrote: »

You don't even have to wait until the next day. I always wait until I've logged in to make sure it's active, just in case it didn't work (I assume you can subscribe while logged in but I've never tried) but at most it's been about 10-15 minutes.

@Danikat

I did cancel my ESO+ and now tried to start a new 30 day period while having 17 days left (to get 1650 Crows added and 30 days added to my account), but that didn't work.

Instead I got a fee of 1 SEK (0 on bank account), so that the deactivated ESO+ sub would just continue for 17 days and renew when those days have ended instead of adding 30 days to what is existing on account.

I was under the impression that you could cancel and restart a new period that would then be added to an already active period. It doesn't seem to work that way from what I can tell. You can't pay for 30 days, stop subscription, start a new period of 30 days to be added on account with Crowns, but have to wait out the active ESO+ sub (which have been cancelled) to finish.
    Edited by RexyCat on 18 April 2024 18:08
    Options
  • Braffin
    Braffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

There is in fact a possibility to pay for subscription without storing or even sharing any information. One can simply pay for their sub in advance for up to 1 year using paysafecard as purchase method.

Auto-renewal is of course impossible without any transactional data therefore it's also an option to untick the box in question.
    Never get between a cat and it's candy!
    ---
    Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. It's not that hard.
    Options
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have ESO+ time but no ESO+ subscription.

When you sign up for a "subscription", what that means is that you will be autocharged the next time you have 0 ESO+ time left. So if you have no ESO+ time, you're charged instantly (other than billing delays). After which you can cancel your sub, which does NOT remove your ESO+ time.

This isn't how other game sub works, where "subscription" usually means "ESO+ time" or "game time". But in ESO, "subscription" means "auto-charge payment plan."

So you can unsubscribe as soon as your ESO+ charge goes through. I resub every 3 months when I get the "out of time" email, and unsubscribe immediately.

Edit: I'm sure many of us know people who have come back to ESO after a break and forgot that their ESO+ was on autorenew the whole time. It's an easy mistake with how the subscription process is worded and displayed. Draw your own conclusions.
    Edited by tsaescishoeshiner on 20 April 2024 20:46
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
    Options
  • Alastrine
    Alastrine
    ✭✭✭✭

I did cancel my ESO+ and now tried to start a new 30 day period while having 17 days left (to get 1650 Crows added and 30 days added to my account), but that didn't work.

Instead I got a fee of 1 SEK (0 on bank account), so that the deactivated ESO+ sub would just continue for 17 days and renew when those days have ended instead of adding 30 days to what is existing on account.

I was under the impression that you could cancel and restart a new period that would then be added to an already active period. It doesn't seem to work that way from what I can tell. You can't pay for 30 days, stop subscription, start a new period of 30 days to be added on account with Crowns, but have to wait out the active ESO+ sub (which have been cancelled) to finish.

It never renews if you 'restart' a sub right then, it will always just wait till your current one ends and then renew for whatever time you set it for (30 days, 3 months, etc.). It never adds on to your current sub right at that moment.

It's always been this way, from day 1.

The "fee", if any, is refunded btw. It is simply a test to be sure the payment system you entered is valid.

I imagine it is to stop exactly what you are trying to do... people loading a bunch of crowns on their accounts at one time.
    They'd rather you went and bought a crown pack to make up the difference, which from a business sense on their side is what they should do.
    Edited by Alastrine on 22 April 2024 12:04
    Options
  • SaffronCitrusflower
    SaffronCitrusflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    you can use paypal. Paypal will be storing your information though.
    Options