The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Dear ZOS, can we at least get some official statement?

mzprx
mzprx
✭✭✭✭✭
to elaborate -

this "YOU CAN'T MOUNT IN COMBAT" thing has been in the game for a looong time. could we, please, at least get some kind of statement from you, devs? like at least tell us "yes, we're aware and are figuring out how to fix this". or something. you have a very passionate PvP community in this game, please don't ignore us, we're your customers as well..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQkAC2TJCRM

this is me. after some fighting around Glademist (and after all the fighting was done) i went inside the keep (Glademist), made meself some coffee and came back. then i ported back to the home base, hoping that it would just go away. but it didn't. for a long time. so this recording was done 6-7 minutes after i actually exited the combat..

so, once again, pretty please, with sugar on top, say something, devs. this is the most frustrating thing one can encounter in Cyrodiil..
  • barney2525
    barney2525
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It is extremely irritating for Players.

It has been an issue for an extremely Long time. Years in fact.

They Must have the technology and capabilities to fix this by now.

Therefore ..... draw your own conclusions.

:#
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Baffled they've even not added any artificial solution like mount in combat, the most basic of all.
  • RealLoveBVB
    RealLoveBVB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's for sure annoying, but being able to mount up in combat is a no go.

Imagine being in a fight and your opponent just mount up and rides away :D
  • Erickson9610
    Erickson9610
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd love to have the freedom to disengage with any fight I'm losing, haha. Imagine how long fights would take if the enemy could decide on their own terms when they're done fighting....
    PC/NA — Lone Werewolf, the Templar Khajiit Werewolf

Werewolf Should be Allowed to Sneak
  • Sluggy
    Sluggy
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's their funeral. Simple way to discourage that would be to cause mounting during combat to start with zero mount stamina (as has been the suggestion for years now). They mount in a fight. If I catch them they fall and get locked in an unbreakable stun which will certainly end the fight one way or the other. Either way, everyone is still free to mount up after the fight resolves and go on their way to the next objective they have.
  • Ulvich
    Ulvich
    ✭✭✭✭
    What's even worse is having your companion continuously trying to cast abilities. You can't dismiss this them, and you can't port anywhere to make them stop.
    Why this glitch has yet to be addressed is beyond me.
    Hit Hard. Hit Fast. Hit Often - BETA Group: 85 b 9
  • Ulvich
    Ulvich
    ✭✭✭✭

Then you should get half of the AP they are carrying for their surrender. B)
    Hit Hard. Hit Fast. Hit Often - BETA Group: 85 b 9
  • w002exp
    w002exp
    ✭✭✭
    Sluggy wrote: »

It's their funeral. Simple way to discourage that would be to cause mounting during combat to start with zero mount stamina (as has been the suggestion for years now). They mount in a fight. If I catch them they fall and get locked in an unbreakable stun which will certainly end the fight one way or the other. Either way, everyone is still free to mount up after the fight resolves and go on their way to the next objective they have.

Another option, just put it on a 3 second interruptible cast. If you ignore a person 3 seconds and they can get their mount up, that's on you and you sort of deserve it.

But yeah, this issue has plagued the game forever. Perhaps even the start although I don't remember clearly. I know enemy leashing has been problematic since the start though and those two problems are often intertwined.
  • Vulkunne
    Vulkunne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why does being in combat have to stop you from mounting or using your inventory?

Aren't you vulnerable while doing either of these things?

What's the point?
    We Know...
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vulkunne wrote: »
    Why does being in combat have to stop you from mounting or using your inventory?

Aren't you vulnerable while doing either of these things?

What's the point?

I can see why gear swap could be problematic with prebuff sets, swapping out for defence/siege/anything out of ordinary but mounting up is a death sentence in battle anyway to bother
  • JustLovely
    JustLovely
    ✭✭✭✭
    Another poster recommended what sounded like a simple solution ZOS could implement very easily.

Just make it so using the wayshrines at either of your gates removes all combat interactions and takes you out of combat.

Very simple, very easy solution to the problem.

Please consider this solution ZOS.

@ZOS_Kevin
    @ZOS_BrianWheeler
    @ZOS_GinaBruno
    @ZOS_RichLambert
    @ZOS_MattFiror
  • Four_Fingers
    Four_Fingers
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Problem with using a wayshrine is those take you out of Cyrodiil so if there is a queue you have to wait to get back in.
    Personally, I think mounted combat would be fun.
    Edited by Four_Fingers on 28 March 2024 16:23
  • CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Comment deleted as my views and opinions are not relevant to ZoS.
    Edited by CGPsaint on 19 April 2024 00:42
    "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs—horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ulvich wrote: »
    What's even worse is having your companion continuously trying to cast abilities. You can't dismiss this them, and you can't port anywhere to make them stop.

Do your companions still cast abilities on enemies even after you have used the pet command to set them to passive?
  • Erickson9610
    Erickson9610
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    virtus753 wrote: »

Do your companions still cast abilities on enemies even after you have used the pet command to set them to passive?

They do not. Even if you're taking damage from enemies, and even if the Companion is taking damage from enemies, if you use that pet command, the Companion will not engage in combat. You'd need to heavy attack or use the other pet command to get your Companion to attack again — simply attacking enemies won't get your Companion to attack them again.

• Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Sluggy wrote: »

I like this idea. The falling off mount animation is hilarious and I’d love to see it more often. It’s annoying in overland not being able to mount because I got too close to a mudcrab I didn’t see, can’t imagine how annoying it is in Cyrodiil.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
  • Oblivion_Protocol
    Oblivion_Protocol
    ✭✭✭✭

How is that any different from a Sorc that Streaks away? Or a NB that runs away under Cloak? Or someone with Ring of the Wild Hunt also spamming RAT/Wings/Quick Cloak to run away at a thousand miles an hour?

Actually, there is a difference. There’s counterplay against running away on a mount. It takes 3-4 seconds to get on the mount, depending on the fancy mounting animation, and you can get knocked off into a stun animation.
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    virtus753 wrote: »

They do not. Even if you're taking damage from enemies, and even if the Companion is taking damage from enemies, if you use that pet command, the Companion will not engage in combat. You'd need to heavy attack or use the other pet command to get your Companion to attack again — simply attacking enemies won't get your Companion to attack them again.

This has been my experience as well, which is why I was asking if Ulvich is experiencing something different. While we cannot port out or unsummon them in combat, they should not keep us in combat when we use the command to set them to passive. If that's not working properly, that's a bug in its own right.
  • notyuu
    notyuu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Would it really kill zis to implement a check where if the player has not dealt or received damage, healing, buffs, debuffs within the past 120 seconds they are removed from combat, no if, but or why about it
  • CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Edited by CGPsaint on 19 April 2024 00:42
    "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs—horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
  • Erickson9610
    Erickson9610
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    notyuu wrote: »
    Would it really kill zis to implement a check where if the player has not dealt or received damage, healing, buffs, debuffs within the past 120 seconds they are removed from combat, no if, but or why about it

That would break dungeon mechanics in PvE. For instance, there was once an issue where during the hunt phases in the Tarcyr encounter in March of Sacrifices, you would not be considered in combat, and thus you would receive out-of-combat resource recovery, be able to change equipment, and so on when technically you're in the middle of a boss fight. ZOS later fixed that, forcing you to be in combat even during the phases where there are no enemies attacking you.

If ZOS were to implement some sort of manual override for being stuck in combat, they would have to look at every PvE instance to see what sort of bugs would result from it. A general solution like that probably isn't the best solution for addressing this concern, because being "stuck in combat" affects a wide range of activities in this game. Sometimes the game needs you to be considered in-combat, and overriding that would cause issues.

• VisitHammerfell
    VisitHammerfell
    ✭✭✭
    For PvP, if you are in a group and not personally in combat for 5 seconds, you shouldn't be considered in combat. If you are by yourself, and have not hit or been hit by another player for 20 seconds, you shouldn't be in combat.

For PvE, I think it should also be 20 seconds outside of dungeons, arenas, or trials
    Edited by VisitHammerfell on 28 March 2024 23:13
    FOR THE COVENANT!
    PS NA 2200+ CP
    🦁 Colonel 1 (25)

PS EU 1300+ CP
    🦁 Tribune 2 (28)

PS NA Alt 500+ CP
    🦁 Captain 1 (19)

Bring back Crafty Lerisa (with same voice actress)
  • LaintalAy
    LaintalAy
    ✭✭✭
    They fixed dismounting in 1mm of water. That was REALLY annoying.

As for an 'official statement' you appear to have received the 'no comment' response.

Applying the old 'if it ain't broke, then don't fix it' adage in reverse; if it isn't being fixed, then it clearly isn't broken.

Therefore, it's a feature for you to live with and enjoy!
    PC EU
    UTC+10:30

seasons will pass you by
  • CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Edited by CGPsaint on 19 April 2024 00:41
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe add a "war healer" NPC back at each alliance base, who will specifically check for and remove these outrageous status effects whose duration is obviously some sort of overflow error. There's no legitimate reason why any status effect should last that long, so it's clearly an unintended value and there should be some simple procedure for purging it.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • Erickson9610
    Erickson9610
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CGPsaint wrote: »
    That would break dungeon mechanics in PvE. For instance, there was once an issue where during the hunt phases in the Tarcyr encounter in March of Sacrifices, you would not be considered in combat, and thus you would receive out-of-combat resource recovery, be able to change equipment, and so on when technically you're in the middle of a boss fight. ZOS later fixed that, forcing you to be in combat even during the phases where there are no enemies attacking you.

This amazing "fix" also broke the Mist Walker achievement because players are prevented from hiding due to being stuck in combat. It's always one step forward, two steps back when they "fix" something haphazardly.

Yes, there may always be unexpected consequences for each fix that is made. That's probably why ZOS has held off on introducing any solutions to the "stuck in combat" issue.

I'd hope that ZOS would find a way to mitigate the effects of the causes of being stuck in combat (such as a tagged enemy being stuck in the wall or not pathfinding to players near the start of the dungeon, or a tagged enemy in Cyrodiil taking damage over time while you're nowhere near them — in PvE, the enemy would've exited combat when taking damage due to the distance between you and the enemy's spawn point). The root causes of being stuck in combat should be addressed, but even then, such changes may have serious consequences in unexpected ways.
    Edited by Erickson9610 on 29 March 2024 07:30

• Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

But if they just mount up and ride away, you can mount up and follow them.... and you will have the advantage because you can attack them from the rear with all your skills and procs off cooldown if you get within range.

Imagine being in a fight and your opponent just vanishes by porting to Imperial City where you can't follow them! Would you be ok with that?
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • Erickson9610
    Erickson9610
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaraal wrote: »

But if they just mount up and ride away, you can mount up and follow them.... and you will have the advantage because you can attack them from the rear with all your skills and procs off cooldown if you get within range.

Imagine being in a fight and your opponent just vanishes by porting to Imperial City where you can't follow them! Would you be ok with that?

I'd just follow them to the Imperial City, using the same method they used. I can't help if they were actually ported to a Battlegrounds match, but at least there's a quick way to leave PvP zones if needed.

• Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaraal wrote: »

I'd just follow them to the Imperial City, using the same method they used.

Except you can't, as they are porting into their sewer base, which you have no access to. Then they can either port back to their base in Cyrodiil, or walk out the door to whatever PvE place they were at last.

RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd love to have the freedom to disengage with any fight I'm losing, haha. Imagine how long fights would take if the enemy could decide on their own terms when they're done fighting....
    Yes after 20 seconds or something.
    As I understand the main problem is that if you are in an group and some in group has agro group members can not mount.
    So some mount up, ride past some wolfs outside the mine and the rest can not mount because group is in "combat"

Simply ditching the group in combat would solve 95%. It would also let you change you hotbar inside an keep and outer wall is under siege. You can not because your group is in combat.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.