The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Why are Elves so ugly?

• LalMirchi
    LalMirchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brutally beautiful High Elf

PjA3tXD.png
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wolf_Eye wrote: »
    ESO made all races look better...more human IMO. Compare the Altmer or the Orsimer to what they looked like in Skyrim or even in older TES games and they look 100% more attractive in ESO. High Elves in Skyrim were super unattractive with very angular faces just like Orcs looked like ill tempered green pig men - but that made it more believable that they were not the same race as Man.

The races also look terribly similar in Skyrim, it's hard tell many of the races apart. But yes, the races definitely look more conventionally attractive in ESO. Which is why I'm often confused when someone claims a race or more is ugly. It's hard make a character ugly in ESO unless you make do extreme opposites on the sliders which mostly looks unatural than ugly.

I consistently had an impossible time telling the difference between Bosmer and Altmer in Skyrim. I like how both look much better in ESO.

And also Nords and Imperials felt like they were impossible to tell apart too. The only giveaway was their names a lot of times.

Same, Wolf. Which really shouldn't be an issue between those mer. Dunmer is only told apart from them because their skin is grey-ish.

The races of man imo are even worse. You kinda have to go by name to tell nords, bretons, imperials, and sometimes even redguards apart
    Forgot to post my "appreciation" to elves here. Sure, some people might not think mine characters are attractive, but which has been stated, beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder and I and I know others think they are rather fetching.

My altmer might be a bit unusual from many female altmer often shown. She's older, and I wanted to embrace the angular faces and bird of prey eyes. So not exactly mainstream beautiful.
    ixK9R5e0_o.png

Two flavours of bosmer:
    ffhuto3t_o.png
    2PvUyOFg_o.png

Two dunmer, and I like them for their sharp and angular features:
    1UWc7WQf_o.png
    yVBrVy9P_o.png

And for good measure, an orsimer, because they are mer too despite what other mer say and I think he's rather dashing in a ruggedly handsome way.
    bUmN4rfz_o.png

Do you happen to have sliders for your dunmer male? I love the way he looks!

@Seminolegirl1992 Thank you, I'm rather happy with him too :blush: Can pm you pictures of the sliders the next time I play.
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • Credible_Joe
    Credible_Joe
    ✭✭✭

You'll notice that when they do the cinematic high elf they skip all of that and she looks quite attractive.
    DDFB24_B6_E1_D1_4_CB1_9607_2251671_B8_D65.jpg
    She'd look more attractive if she looked like an actual altmer.

I loathe mer in the cinematics. They don't look like mer, they are humans with pointy ears. There has been threads made about it, latest was regarding Necrom's and the derpmer in it. They should make them look like actual mer.

The only change I would make to the cinematic elves is making their eyes more consistent with how they look in the game. To me, the distinguishing features of an elf are larger, canted eyes with much larger, more vibrant (almost luminous) irises that almost entirely obscure the sclera. For altmer, anyway. And also orcs, I think.

However, if I made that change and got feedback that it made the subject look alien and uncanny, I'd be very open to reverting the adjustment to something more human.

I'd be very interested to see game-elven eyes applied to the cinematic Elven hero. I have no idea whether it would look better or worse.
    LalMirchi wrote: »
    Brutally beautiful High Elf

PjA3tXD.png

Here's a great example of elven features. The elves in promo cinematics really go off-model for what's presented in-game.

@ZOS_Kevin , I can get behind giving them more eye-shape variance, but is there a particular reason the design / marketing team decided not to go with the more exotic colors and iris size?

hhkpq3lpinyj.png

We wouldn't be able to tell she's elven at all without the ears.
    Thank you for coming to my T E D talk
  • ProudMary
    ProudMary
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "ugly" is such a subjective word it's almost meaningless. For instance I love spiders and snakes. Most people think their ugly, but they're actually very beautiful when you look at them closely.

Edited by ProudMary on 1 June 2023 15:39
  • Avishag
    Avishag
    ✭✭✭
    Aztrias wrote: »
    I don't think Altmer(High Elves) in ESO look that ugly, but I guess beauty is in the eye of beholder.
    1fo525bpxdda.png
    0ddsfe2s7i9p.jpg

Personally I'm not that much of an elf fan in general, but I really like Elder Scrolls Elves especially the Dunmer.
    I prefer the more alien/strange looking Elves, the flawless beautiful(in human eyes) and immortal elves are boring to me.

Same..Dunmer are more attractive than this Hollywood blonde perfection. But each of their own I guess..
    I love my female Dark elf ❤️☺️
  • Thee_Cheshire_Cat
    Thee_Cheshire_Cat
    ✭✭✭✭
    Coppes wrote: »
    Come on, posting images of female elves is just cheating. Let's see the men.

I posted some of mine earlier, but in case you require further evidence, here is a small fraction of my boys 😊

wr4dclaltm5y.png
    kg1sbbrgpy28.png
    asqdkt9myjad.png
    u15x7cbyhm1c.png
    kn13usoc2kxm.png
    pbj83a8gbq2z.png
    bh1g1llxp3cu.png

Damn you have fiiiine taste in making the menz.
    Lady Kat, from the Cheshire Cats.Interested in HEAVY RP? IC at -all- times? https://thecheshirecatseso.proboards.com/#CheshireCats_RPnow
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You'll notice that when they do the cinematic high elf they skip all of that and she looks quite attractive.
    DDFB24_B6_E1_D1_4_CB1_9607_2251671_B8_D65.jpg
    She'd look more attractive if she looked like an actual altmer.

I loathe mer in the cinematics. They don't look like mer, they are humans with pointy ears. There has been threads made about it, latest was regarding Necrom's and the derpmer in it. They should make them look like actual mer.

The only change I would make to the cinematic elves is making their eyes more consistent with how they look in the game. To me, the distinguishing features of an elf are larger, canted eyes with much larger, more vibrant (almost luminous) irises that almost entirely obscure the sclera. For altmer, anyway. And also orcs, I think.
    All mer got those eyes, it's one of the main features that makes mer differ from men. Bosmer are the only ones that are slightly different from the other mer, but that's because they got different pupils. They still got the large and slanted eyes with irises that cover almost the whole sclera.
    However, if I made that change and got feedback that it made the subject look alien and uncanny, I'd be very open to reverting the adjustment to something more human.
    I wouldn't. I would make the mer look like an actual mer and not a LOTR elf, no matter what feedback I got. Mer are supposed to look that way, not pointy eared humans.
    I'd be very interested to see game-elven eyes applied to the cinematic Elven hero. I have no idea whether it would look better or worse
    Lore elven. It would be better because that's how they look according to lore and are shown in game. It's a bizarre choice how they show daedra, khajiit, argonians etc how they are supposed to look but the mer are always conventionally attractive young women with pointy ears. Also feels kinda false show them as that when that's not how they look.
  • Jammy420
    Jammy420
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think theyre beautiful. The humans are drab and boring imo.
  • Suna_Ye_Sunnabe
    Suna_Ye_Sunnabe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Coppes wrote: »
    Come on, posting images of female elves is just cheating. Let's see the men.

I posted some of mine earlier, but in case you require further evidence, here is a small fraction of my boys 😊

wr4dclaltm5y.png
    kg1sbbrgpy28.png
    asqdkt9myjad.png
    u15x7cbyhm1c.png
    kn13usoc2kxm.png
    pbj83a8gbq2z.png
    bh1g1llxp3cu.png

Damn you have fiiiine taste in making the menz.

Thank you kindly! All 18 of my characters are elves boys :)
    Angua Anyammis Ae Sunna
  • Suna_Ye_Sunnabe
    Suna_Ye_Sunnabe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Jammy420 wrote: »
    I think theyre beautiful. The humans are drab and boring imo.

Absolutely!
    Angua Anyammis Ae Sunna
  • boi_anachronism_
    boi_anachronism_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    429q1im1n3s0.jpg

Ma boy is not ugly thank you very much
  • barney2525
    barney2525
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    whoever designed the character decided Elves Must frown constantly. They also are not allowed to have hair color that will make jewelry look good - as in Silver. All Elven jewelry must look yukky bronze.

:#
  • WaywardArgonian
    WaywardArgonian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just came by to post some Dark Elves.

wo9GeDW.png
    0ppFsvN.png
    whNYKpJ.png
    4E5TJYo.png
    A08Ut9i.png
    PC/EU altaholic | Smallscale & ballgroup healer | Former Empanada of Ravenwatch | @ degonyte in-game | Nibani Ilath-Pal (AD Nightblade) - AvA rank 50 | Jehanne Teymour (AD Sorcerer) - AvA rank 50 | Niria Ilath-Pal (AD Templar) - AvA rank 50
  • morrowjen
    morrowjen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cheveyo wrote: »
    Elves in Elder Scrolls have always been fugly. The only way to get pretty elves in these games is through mods.

35-31-goodtoseeyou.jpg

EVERYONE in that game looked like a potato head. It took many tries and many years to solve that issue and even now there's only so much mods can do to help the potato head problem in Oblivion.

That said, I will never forgive Bethesda for what they did to the Dunmer in Skyrim. They looked absolutely haggard and extremely ugly. Thank God for mods that fixed that.

I will say I like TES/ESO ears far better than the ears in other games that stick out wide like they're the elven version of Mad Magazine's Alfred E. Neuman. ESO and properly modded TES elves look great (and by that I mean fixing Skyrim's Dunmer). I don't remember them looking bad in Morrowind given the graphics but the beast races looked ridiculous until Skyrim. In ESO, the Dunmer and Wood Elves look great. It's just the Altmer that can look too extreme at times but that varies from character to character. There are many beautiful Altmer out there too.

Edited by morrowjen on 8 June 2023 05:09
  • Grizzbeorn
    Grizzbeorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    NOT ugly...

YMzU4Ut.png
      PC/NA Warden Main
    • AnduinTryggva
      AnduinTryggva
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      barney2525 wrote: »
      whoever designed the character decided Elves Must frown constantly. They also are not allowed to have hair color that will make jewelry look good - as in Silver. All Elven jewelry must look yukky bronze.

That!

I don't mind the eyes, the ears or the hairy part of the eyebrows at all.

I dislike the Hepatitis color of high elves.

For basically all elves I dislike specifically that the bony portion of their eyebrows look like those bulky ones with which - sorry to say this - modern artistic representations of the *** neanderthalensis are done.

They always have their eyebrows drawn together as like they look angry.

And when you select the more heroic or edgy face form specifically boys get a weird checkbone-chin-eyebrow form that simply looks terrible. Just look at some woodelf boy faces of npc.

To sum up: I think it is simply too hard to make beautiful elves. This is specifically true for male high and wood elves and dunmer girls to be honest.

On a general note I miss a slider to manipulate mouth width.
    • NotaDaedraWorshipper
      NotaDaedraWorshipper
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      barney2525 wrote: »

...you can get silver jewelery for elves?
    • xclassgaming
      xclassgaming
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      What do you mean? ESO is has the best looking elves in any game.

The other tes games tho...oof.
    • Wolf_Eye
      Wolf_Eye
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Just came by to post some Dark Elves.

wo9GeDW.png

Hot dang...

I mean uh....nice looking Dunmer you got there. :D
    • Wolf_Eye
      Wolf_Eye
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      JiveSalts wrote: »
      Since this has turned into a bit of an elf appreciation thread, I'll post my ever growing list of elfy bois.
      o1qhkmqmauy0.png
      6abpspar9cov.png
      lhd6k2rfbjqm.png
      ymt4ni86pyoc.png
      1h8hglhd6kch.png
      z330p6oesccx.png
      8th3uthmz634.png
      8fyuoxlnudt5.png
      tdeksxddqcs8.png
      yt6uuke306yt.png

I just want to say I have a very very deep appreciation for the scholarly looking one at number 2 and the pirate looking one at number 3. They look quite handsome.

But your other ones also look fantastic as well! I love how you set them up for the photo to showcase a bit of their personality/careers etc....
    • StarOfElyon
      StarOfElyon
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      To be honest I think Elves, specifically High Elves are pretty ugly as we can create them in ESO while in the overwhelming majority of the fantasy literatures Elves are considered to be of extraordinary beauty. How did that happen?

Heresy. Be glad you're not getting Skyrim elves.
    • NotaDaedraWorshipper
      NotaDaedraWorshipper
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      To be honest I think Elves, specifically High Elves are pretty ugly as we can create them in ESO while in the overwhelming majority of the fantasy literatures Elves are considered to be of extraordinary beauty. How did that happen?

Heresy. Be glad you're not getting Skyrim elves.

Or Oblivion potatoes.