The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Why are Elves so ugly?

• Rebirthment
    Rebirthment
    ✭✭✭✭
    People here talking and showing off their Altmer but not Bosmerhfb5jcbbky16.png
    vhda11cp50ys.png

Honestly, the elves ingame look pretty decent to me, and just right to make them look unique yet beautiful in their own way. Especially compared to the previous ES games
    Edited by Rebirthment on 23 May 2023 02:07
  • chessalavakia_ESO
    chessalavakia_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would guess it's a mixture of the degree to which their faces are angular, the fact that their skin color frequently looks a bit jaundice which in humans frequently represents health issues which in turn can cause humans some revulsion, and the eye design.

You'll notice that when they do the cinematic high elf they skip all of that and she looks quite attractive.

DDFB24_B6_E1_D1_4_CB1_9607_2251671_B8_D65.jpg

I would also suggest that some of the lack of appeal is fashion based. Players frequently are running skins and outfits that display their skin to show off which tends to put a fair bit of focus on the skin tone which frequently looks a bit sickly. NPCs are frequently wearing simpler clothes/armor where the dye either doesn't combine well with their skin tone or looks so bland your focus immediately jumps to their face.

My Altmer's face might not be that pretty (Okay, so she's still far better looking than I am IRL but, by video game standards she's not that pretty) if you look closely but, they are generally wearing fancy looking clothes/armor with dye that draws much of the attention.

I do like the simpler clothes/armor but, I don't think they work well on Altmer.

Then again I might just be weird.
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    cyclonus11 wrote: »
    AzuraFan wrote: »
    I think the high elves look fine. I have an altmer character and see nothing wrong with her looks. The same goes for the NPCs. I can't think of anyone who's particularly unattractive.

Usually, but Camyaale in Marbruk is pushing it.

ON-npc-Camyaale.jpg

I think she has some Orc ancestry
    Edited by Hapexamendios on 23 May 2023 02:24
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    McMasterx wrote: »
    xHL4KDb.png

There are some edge cases, but yes, it's mostly eye of the beholder stuff.

She's gorgeous!
    People here talking and showing off their Altmer but not Bosmerhfb5jcbbky16.png
    vhda11cp50ys.png

Honestly, the elves ingame look pretty decent to me, and just right to make them look unique yet beautiful in their own way. Especially compared to the previous ES games

Hey, I posted one of my latest Bosmer earlier, darn it!

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • Kadraeus
    Kadraeus
    ✭✭✭✭
    They look better than they do in any of the other TES games
    Well, except Dunmer and Orsimer. Dunmer look good in Skyrim and Morrowind. Orcs in Skyrim.
    Edited by Kadraeus on 23 May 2023 02:46
  • Galiferno
    Galiferno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Divine punishment from Shezarr and Aka
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think all the faces in ESO look a bit ugly. All of the faces in all the elder scrolls games. But as far as holding them all to the lower standards of the franchise in general, ESO has some comparatively gorgeous characters. So, in my head canon all the characters look more like how they'd look in the cinematics than they do in the game. By that measure, there's some very good looking folks running around in the second era. It makes you wonder how they ended up with Thoronir later.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on 23 May 2023 03:52
  • TheNuminous1
    TheNuminous1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Speaking of elves. There is a rather beautiful elf girl at one of that boastful telengers sites in auridon. What was her name again. She is sitting against a tree, oh ya. Her name. Fistamanwae. (Not joking this is a real npc in auridon)
  • jtm1018
    jtm1018
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My point of view.
    To me Almalexia, Naryu and Mirri are very extremely gorgeous beautiful women.
  • Nightowl_74
    Nightowl_74
    ✭✭✭
    I've never found Elder Scrolls characters very visually appealing, but I do think ESO has the best looking of the franchise. As elves go, I can't think of another video game that has prettier ones, but my experience isn't particularly extensive. Dragon Age has some really ugly elves, in my opinion. From what I've seen the beautiful ones are in movies and books.
  • Michae
    Michae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm very fond of the "ugly" looks of the TES elves. I don't want them to look human. Those jagged angular faces really suit them, especially the Dunmer. I loved their look in Morrowind, I'm glad they came back to it in Skyrim and ESO after what was done to them in Oblivion.
    "I bear the cruel weight of certainty. Total, absolute, relentless certainty. People rarely comprehend the luxury of doubt... the freedom that comes with indecision. I envy you."
    Sotha Sil

@Michae PC/EU
  • Muizer
    Muizer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be honest I think Elves, specifically High Elves are pretty ugly as we can create them in ESO while in the overwhelming majority of the fantasy literatures Elves are considered to be of extraordinary beauty. How did that happen?

Did you play Skyrim? The elves there look like they've been carved out of wood ..... with a battle axe.
    Please stop making requests for game features. ZOS have enough bad ideas as it is!
  • Xarc
    Xarc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Bosmer arent ugly at all
    iwfusfhjpgds.jpg
    @xarcs FR-EU-PC -
    "La mort, c'est surfait.", Xarc
    Xãrc -- breton necro - DC - AvA rank50
    Xarcus -- imperial DK - DC - AvA rank50
    Elnaa - breton NB - DC - AvA rank50
    Xärc -- breton NB - DC - AvA rank47
    Isilenil - Altmer NB - AD - AvA rank41
    Felisja - Bosmer NB - DC - AvA rank39
    Xàrc - breton necro - DC - AvA rank27
    Xalisja - bosmer necro - DC - AvA rank16
    kàli - redguard templar - DC - AvA rank32
    - since april.2014
  • Aelorin
    Aelorin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the opposite: This game is the first were Elves, and Altmer look absolutely stunning.

You have to get the sliders right :smile:

uddwwd0qrj1b1.jpg?width=1126&format=pjpg&auto=webp&v=enabled&s=14826aea2786d7f9d575b511865bb79183a2d10e

oavkfcblvaw4.jpg
    And so the Elder Scrolls foretold.You will be shy, and I will be bold.
  • Aztrias
    Aztrias
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    j8ncl6aflkkd.png
    With the right sliders, Altmer look fine(a lot better than they did in previous TES games at least :D )

As much as it pains me as an irl Nordic the worst looking race to me are Nords, most of the males look really bad, some of the females look good though like Lyris and a few NPCS, but most of the time they all look like weird bloated potatos... :D
    Bretons don't look that good either but not as bad as the Nords.
    In Skyrim Nords looked pretty badass and had a lot of good hair and beard options.

Imperials and Redguard's look pretty good, especially the Redguards
    xdh9b7ai5div.png
    Welcome Moon-and-Star to this place where destiny is made

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/498360/r-i-p-pc-eu/p1
    Nerevar forget!
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be honest I think Elves, specifically High Elves are pretty ugly as we can create them in ESO while in the overwhelming majority of the fantasy literatures Elves are considered to be of extraordinary beauty. How did that happen?

Just because elves are Amazing Beauty in "the overwhelming majority" of fantasy, that doesn't mean that every fantasy book/game/etc has to be the same way. TES "dwarves" are different, too.

(and yeah, if you think these elves are bad, go check out Oblivion & Morrowind. :D )
  • Fenris_Arainai
    Fenris_Arainai
    ✭✭✭✭
    And here I am, thinking that ESO elves are absolutely gorgeous :)

As for the "humanised" trailer "elf" -- I think she's not attractive. Her nose is weirdly tiny for her face, and makes her look weird.
    Glory to you and your Dunmer House!
  • AvalonRanger
    AvalonRanger
    ✭✭✭✭✭

But, Skyrim high elves...are more...
    My playing time Mon-Friday UTC13:00-16:00 [PC-NA] CP over2000 now.
    I have [1Tough tank] [1StamSorc-DD] [1Necro-DD] [1Real Healer]
    But, I'm Tank main player. Recently I'm doing Healer.

2023/12/21
    By the way...Dungeon-Meshi(One of Famous Japanese fantasy story comic book) got finale...
    Good-bye "King of Monster Eater".
  • Grizzbeorn
    Grizzbeorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    To be honest I think Elves, specifically High Elves are pretty ugly...

Rude.
      PC/NA Warden Main
    • NotaDaedraWorshipper
      NotaDaedraWorshipper
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭

You'll notice that when they do the cinematic high elf they skip all of that and she looks quite attractive.
      DDFB24_B6_E1_D1_4_CB1_9607_2251671_B8_D65.jpg
      She'd look more attractive if she looked like an actual altmer.

I loathe mer in the cinematics. They don't look like mer, they are humans with pointy ears. There has been threads made about it, latest was regarding Necrom's and the derpmer in it. They should make them look like actual mer.
      Edited by NotaDaedraWorshipper on 23 May 2023 17:00
      [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
    • Suna_Ye_Sunnabe
      Suna_Ye_Sunnabe
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      Beauty must indeed be in the eye of the beholder, haha. I find the elves to be the far more attractive races in eso, and I adore their look 🙂

e9q7he4915lm.png
      0slfibxj9jyd.png

Edited by Suna_Ye_Sunnabe on 23 May 2023 17:20
      Angua Anyammis Ae Sunna
    • AScarlato
      AScarlato
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I've never found Elder Scrolls characters very visually appealing, but I do think ESO has the best looking of the franchise. As elves go, I can't think of another video game that has prettier ones, but my experience isn't particularly extensive. Dragon Age has some really ugly elves, in my opinion. From what I've seen the beautiful ones are in movies and books.

I think the elves in Tera and Black Desert Online look good. EverQuest (for its time) had some good looking elves as well. Final Fantasy 14 has a few elven characters with decent fanbases though they are not everyone's cup of tea.

Dragon Age Origins had decent looking elven options though they became awful in DA2. I think some people found Sera attractive in Inquisition. Witcher 2/3 had some good looking elves also for certain characters. Baldur's Gate 3 elves look great and beautiful. I know a lot of ESO players who are playing around the the character creator there.

Just some options for elf-lovers lol.

• Destai
      Destai
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      My Altmer are beauty perfect, dunno what you're talking about
    • YetAnotherLinuxUser
      YetAnotherLinuxUser
      ✭✭✭✭
      Yes, why make a race that looks like the innards of someone's nostrils?
    • Carcamongus
      Carcamongus
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      Kind of depends on the game. Everyone was ugly in Oblivion, but things improved considerably in Skyrim (though orcs went from goofy porcine faces to I'm-not-sleeping-tonight ones). ESO beautified everyone, even the orcs. I find many Dunmer to have a sort of an exotic and classic beauty, whereas the Bosmer tend to be cute and pretty. I've had a dislike towards the Altmer since Skyrim (don't touch my Talos, [censored]!), which should naturally lead me to be biased against them in aesthetic terms. However, I don't think most of them are ugly. Hell, even the Orsimer were improved enough that I no longer wish I could put a paper bag over their heads when talking to them.

Now, who's an adorable little blind Nosferatu-looking cutie? Yes, you are! Yes, you are!
      hcxwmk0mi4a0.jpg
      I'm joking, not (very) deranged.
      Imperial DK and Necro tank. PC/NA
      "Nothing is so bad that it can't get any worse." (Brazilian saying)
    • AScarlato
      AScarlato
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      qln7mo3d7w36.jpg

I think my Altmer here looks good, along with my Altmer friend that I took at a RP wedding we attended. But, he's benefitting by looking down and covering half of his face. His buggy eyes are also closed. LOL

In other poses/lighting/expressions he can look quote awful.
    • FantasticFreddie
      FantasticFreddie
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      Pretty much all I play are Altmer and Argonians.
      Take from that what you will.
    • ADarklore
      ADarklore
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I used to feel the same, until I played around with the sliders more and got some really attractive results. One of my least favorite races was Dark Elves, until I also spent time working with the sliders and now they're one of my favorites... behind Breton and Imperial, then DE's and then High Elves.

Besides that, I think the elves in Skyrim were awful... haven't played any other ES games besides Skyrim and ESO, so cannot compare to the previous titles. But considering graphics back before Skyrim, I doubt they were better than what was found in Skyrim.
      CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
    • Nightowl_74
      Nightowl_74
      ✭✭✭
      AScarlato wrote: »

I think the elves in Tera and Black Desert Online look good. EverQuest (for its time) had some good looking elves as well. Final Fantasy 14 has a few elven characters with decent fanbases though they are not everyone's cup of tea.

Dragon Age Origins had decent looking elven options though they became awful in DA2. I think some people found Sera attractive in Inquisition. Witcher 2/3 had some good looking elves also for certain characters. Baldur's Gate 3 elves look great and beautiful. I know a lot of ESO players who are playing around the the character creator there.

It's funny I forgot about FFXIV (because I play it) but the elves there are generally good looking. They aren't very popular within the game though, and a lot of players think they're ugly. I don't, I think their frames are willowy and they have some of the most attractive facial options. Besides Dragon Age I haven't tried the other games, but to me the characters there are fairly ugly. Love the franchise, though! I actually play an elf in Inquisition.
    • AScarlato
      AScarlato
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      AScarlato wrote: »

It's funny I forgot about FFXIV (because I play it) but the elves there are generally good looking. They aren't very popular within the game though, and a lot of players think they're ugly. I don't, I think their frames are willowy and they have some of the most attractive facial options. Besides Dragon Age I haven't tried the other games, but to me the characters there are fairly ugly. Love the franchise, though! I actually play an elf in Inquisition.

Dragon Age really is the weakest example of pretty elves, but so many people were into Fenris romances and some even Merrill in DA2. And Zevran had a decent-sized fanbase outside his hilariously butchered face in DA2 lol.