The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Which quests have gay references?

• Ippokrates
    Ippokrates
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure if the writing staff had some sort of quota imposed on them, but it looks as if every major zone (except maybe the Reach and possibly Coldharbour?) has at least one example of that sort of content, with a few (Western Skyrim especially) having a couple of examples. The smaller zones generally lack it, and Cyrodiil has one example in one of the smaller towns.

[snip] Ironically, the best and worst example is in Summerset, which has both the most radical questline in the game (so much so it won an award from GLAAD!) set in a society which is probably the only one in all Tamriel which looks down on that sort of thing and probably the most realistic as a result. [snip]

[snip]

And on a minor note, the [snip] Argonian thing was probably thrown in to address an older piece of lore which would have made their species sequential hermaphrodites, like some species of fish.[snip]

Oh, come on.

The Tamriel norm is:
    -- Generally feudal, agrarian society.
    -- Strong preponderance of heterosexuality, as one would expect in such societies.
    -- Tolerance, including legally, for homosexual exceptions.

None of that is a big deal by Earth standards.

Unlike on Earth:
    -- Males and females are fully equal in combat ability.
    -- This is generally reflected approximate political/power equality.

The second of those flows naturally from the first.

Even so:
    -- Orcs have a complex, male-dominant power structure.
    -- Human races (Breton, Redguard, probably also Imperial) seem to have men in charge as their default circumstance.

That all fits together well once we stipulate that women are just at good as fighting as men are.

Just to be clear - in pre-Skyrim games, males and females of each races had different statistics and therefore they were not fully equal in terms of combat abilities.

Edited by Ippokrates on 14 September 2021 08:03
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ippokrates wrote: »
    I'm not sure if the writing staff had some sort of quota imposed on them, but it looks as if every major zone (except maybe the Reach and possibly Coldharbour?) has at least one example of that sort of content, with a few (Western Skyrim especially) having a couple of examples. The smaller zones generally lack it, and Cyrodiil has one example in one of the smaller towns.

[snip] Ironically, the best and worst example is in Summerset, which has both the most radical questline in the game (so much so it won an award from GLAAD!) set in a society which is probably the only one in all Tamriel which looks down on that sort of thing and probably the most realistic as a result. [snip]

[snip]

And on a minor note, the [snip] Argonian thing was probably thrown in to address an older piece of lore which would have made their species sequential hermaphrodites, like some species of fish.[snip]

Oh, come on.

The Tamriel norm is:
    -- Strong preponderance of heterosexuality, as one would expect in such societies.

Unlike on Earth:

Even so:
    -- Human races (Breton, Redguard, probably also Imperial) seem to have men in charge as their default circumstance.

That all fits together well once we stipulate that women are just at good as fighting as men are.

Just to be clear - in pre-Skyrim games, males and females of each races had different statistics and therefore they were not fully equal in terms of combat abilities.

Not in Arena or Daggerfall. Also the different stats was only headstarts, they all had the same cap.

Anyway, this thread was last posted in march, was a necro neccesary?
    Edited by NotaDaedraWorshipper on 14 September 2021 20:00
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • Ippokrates
    Ippokrates
    ✭✭✭✭✭

[snip]

Oh, come on.

The Tamriel norm is:

Unlike on Earth:

Even so:

Not in Arena or Daggerfall. Also the different stats was only headstarts, they all had the same cap.

In Daggerfall no because you have pool, but in Arena each gender of each race have different statistics. You can check it yourself ;)

Also, no idea why this necro happen ^^
  • Saxhleel
    Saxhleel
    ✭✭✭
    The entire Breton race.
    "What a fool you are. I'm a god. How can you kill a god? What a grand and intoxicating innocence. How could you be so naive? There is no escape. No Recall or Intervention can work in this place. Come. Lay down your weapons. It is not too late for my mercy" — Dagoth Ur

• spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

[snip]

Oh, come on.

The Tamriel norm is:

Unlike on Earth:

Even so:

In Daggerfall no because you have pool, but in Arena each gender of each race have different statistics. You can check it yourself ;)

Also, no idea why this necro happen ^^

Stats aren't really canon to the lore though. They change from player character to player character. They are just ways to help you build a character you want. The story is the lore, where males and females have always been depicted as equals in combat. They don't even bother with the starting flavor anymore, it's not a part of the story and doesn't matter. It's just for flavor.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on 14 September 2021 22:44
  • Eleanor_ESO
    Eleanor_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    EDIT: Just realized this thread was necro'd and the OP probably doesn't need them anymore.
    Edited by Eleanor_ESO on 15 September 2021 23:52
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Necroing this to say that High Isle added a lot of LGTBQ+ content, especially in the L&B areas. In particular:
    • The main regional quest-giver is the polysexually flirtatious (and most likely truly bi) Lady Arabella.
    • The secondary regional quest-giver is our old polysexually flirtatious (but primarily or entirely straight) friend Jakarn.
    • One of the delve quests is to rescue a woman's wife. They discuss their relationship some at the end, too, as that's a thing in High Isle side quests. But nothing about the discussion seemed LGBTQ-specific.

And then there's the quest line for the Companion Isobel Veloise. She herself seems mainly or entirely lesbian. The story in her first quest is that a prominent noble, Knight-Commander Jourvel, will award her daughter Aurelia Jourvel in marriage to the winner of a tournament -- and at least two contestants are female. A sequel quest adds yet another bisexual character too.
  • Snowy_Wyndra_Karn
    Snowy_Wyndra_Karn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's so many because gay is finally acceptable and normal in this game...

however, the one that stood out to me is the one in Greenshade with the flowers.

Just so beautiful.
  • Snowy_Wyndra_Karn
    Snowy_Wyndra_Karn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    delenn35 wrote: »
    There's so many because gay is finally acceptable and normal in this game...

however, the one that stood out to me is the one in Greenshade with the flowers.

Just so beautiful.

i mean... it always has been... not finally... I'm talking about other games here and life.

ESO has always been in front - thank you.
  • Tenthirty2
    Tenthirty2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Necroing this to say that High Isle added a lot of LGTBQ+ content, especially in the L&B areas. In particular:

And then there's the quest line for the Companion Isobel Veloise. She herself seems mainly or entirely lesbian. The story in her first quest is that a prominent noble, Knight-Commander Jourvel, will award her daughter Aurelia Jourvel in marriage to the winner of a tournament -- and at least two contestants are female. A sequel quest adds yet another bisexual character too.

Starting to think I was i the minority with my intuition about Isobel.
    There is also a line she says at the end of the main zone story (thus far).
    At the victory party Isobel is hanging out too and she makes a comment about Jakarn and his serveral flirtatious attempts with her that she has turned down.
    She ends with a open-ended (but obvious to me) statement about how she doesn't have the heart to tell him... :)
    • "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs - horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
    • "When my time comes, I will smile. And that will be all." -Sir Nathain Galien
    • IGN: TenThirty2 (PC/PS: NA, PC/PS: EU)
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tenthirty2 wrote: »

At the victory party Isobel is hanging out too and she makes a comment about Jakarn and his serveral flirtatious attempts with her that she has turned down.
    She ends with a open-ended (but obvious to me) statement about how she doesn't have the heart to tell him... :)

Isobel's big lesbian infatuation of the past is a major part of her story. There can only be doubt about her subsequent or other or present-day orientation. That said -- she seems pretty consistently lesbian to me.

One example: A list of her dialogue lines, perhaps on UESP, includes some I haven't heard yet. One of them seems to have her crushing on Lyris.
  • Snowy_Wyndra_Karn
    Snowy_Wyndra_Karn
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think Isobel is on my team but she is so polite and reserved, it's not something that needs to be said with her. Maybe that's what we're waiting for - a character to just say - I am gay. So many characters already in ESO with same sex partners... gay is not an ESO word - it's just acceptable and not necessary.

Sometimes I think I'd prefer to live in Tamriel.

Isobel definitely is and it's fine (for me at least). I just hope the same for everyone else.
  • jle30303
    jle30303
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love the Bosmer/Khajiit gay couple in Northern Elsweyr who are trying to cook up a brew of Bosmer rotmeth and Khajiit moon-sugar to appeal to the local market... well the Bosmer is trying it at least, and testing the brew out on his husband, who is less than enthusiastic (and in fact threw the entire barrel off the cart...) They are hilarious.
  • boi_anachronism_
    boi_anachronism_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really love this about the elder scrolls. Other media could take some notes on representation her. It's treated as a non issue. What ever quest has absolutely nothing to do with them being gay at all. They just happen to be and that's as far as it goes, no surprise from other characters because of it. It's just totally normalized.
  • moleculardrugs
    moleculardrugs
    ✭✭✭✭
    ChaosWotan wrote: »
    I'm doing research on how entertainment can be used to normalize different kinds of values, interests and lifestyles, so will appreciate it if anybody knows how many quests (or non-quest NPCs) have dialogues or comments relating to being gay.

This is not intended to be a discussion about gayness. Such a debate will be quickly closed, so please don't present pro- or anti-gay arguments. I just want facts about content in the game: the number of quests, and their names please.

I really like how inclusive ESO is to the LGTBQ+ Community. In Grathwood, you can find a captain standing outside a cave (near sweetbreeze), here she wants you to save her wife.

There are many other places too
  • ZOS_Icy
    ZOS_Icy
    mod
    Greetings,

This thread has been moved to the Players Helping Players section, as it is better suited there.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    jle30303 wrote: »
    I love the Bosmer/Khajiit gay couple in Northern Elsweyr who are trying to cook up a brew of Bosmer rotmeth and Khajiit moon-sugar to appeal to the local market... well the Bosmer is trying it at least, and testing the brew out on his husband, who is less than enthusiastic (and in fact threw the entire barrel off the cart...) They are hilarious.

It seems as if ZoS saves some of their best couples humor for gay/lesbian couples. The flirtation between two Hollow City merchants is justly famous. So is the one line about moving product in Belkarth.

When I think of similarly funny examples among straight couples, they seem to involve more important characters. Various Jakarn relationships are played for laughs. Emeric has one great line with his queen. Etc.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Isobel's big lesbian infatuation of the past is a major part of her story. There can only be doubt about her subsequent or other or present-day orientation. That said -- she seems pretty consistently lesbian to me.

One example: A list of her dialogue lines, perhaps on UESP, includes some I haven't heard yet. One of them seems to have her crushing on Lyris.

Maj (one of the Undaunted quest givers) seems to have caught Isobel's eye as well.

And I gather she has more than one line crushing on Lyris.
    Edited by FrancisCrawford on 18 March 2023 16:49
  • isadoraisacat
    isadoraisacat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TES has had same sex references since day one. It’s very common. Even the Daedra are basically gender fluid.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    TES has had same sex references since day one. It’s very common. Even the Daedra are basically gender fluid.

Really? The humanoid daedra usually seem pretty clearly gendered to me.
  • MagicalLija
    MagicalLija
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Really? The humanoid daedra usually seem pretty clearly gendered to me.

Deadric Princes especially can alter/shift their genders when they please, usually to suit what they're trying to gain in the mortal realms, but to them, gender is meaningless. Not sure about the standard deadra tho