Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

The Lore behind "Mage Tapestry, Aurbic Phoenix"

RaddlemanNumber7
RaddlemanNumber7
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
Does this Aurbic Phoenix have any basis in lore? I don't remember any, and a brief bit of googlology didn't find any.

Isn't that what Akatosh/Alduin are supposed to do, recreate the Aurbis in flames? An Aurbic Phoenix seems rather redundant.

ThLhBj8.jpg
PC EU
  • Eporem
    Eporem
    ✭✭✭
    there is this:

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Restoration

so maybe this tapestry just simply symbolizes Restoration

the cycle of Life maybe..
    Edited by Eporem on 13 March 2023 18:15
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    All I know is that it's the restoration symbol. I believe I saw tapestries for the other schools too but don't quote me on that. Would be interesting to hear why the restoration symbol is what it is, I'm not well versed in the lore of the Aedra.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
  • ealdwin
    ealdwin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aurbic Phoenix >>> Restoration Magic >>> Temple of Kyne/Kynareth in Whiterun >>> Skyforge >>> Skyforge is an Aurbic Phoenix

Therefore:
    Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise :wink:
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's just one of the magic school tapestries, no need to assign any more deeper significance to the motif at hand, it's not some new cosmology but a fancy name for a symbol.
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    So, what I'm seeing here is that someone pulled this totally baseless concept of an Aurbic Phoenix out of their back pocket for TESV in 4E 201. And that is now serving as some sort of inverted precedent for 2E 582, a year in which schools of magic are barely more than a proposal being pitched by Gabrielle Benele.

Not very satisfactory (some English understatement there).
    PC EU
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, what I'm seeing here is that someone pulled this totally baseless concept of an Aurbic Phoenix out of their back pocket for TESV in 4E 201. And that is now serving as some sort of inverted precedent for 2E 582, a year in which schools of magic are barely more than a proposal being pitched by Gabrielle Benele.

That's a good point, taking the chronology in mind. It would be a good question for the Loremaster, but I don't think they are in the forums.
  • Tyrvarion
    Tyrvarion
    ✭✭✭
    Its just a tapestry named after Phoenix. Phoenixes were obscure (but present in tes lore since daggerfall, and mentioned in eso times as well) creatures (whether real or mythological in universe is unknown) that simply suit to represent the concept of rebirth. It's not really any inverted precedent to associate phenixes with restorative powers irregardles whether or not the school of restoration was codified.

As for "Aurbic Phoenix" it was never named before nor ever was associated with any cosmology. It does make sense to use things like that to symbolize magic like that. As for your akatosh/alduin suggestin- it is worht mentionign that Altmer believe in Auri-El instead. And Auri-El (who is often equated with Akatosh) was often portrayed/associated with grand birds - while also being another deity of sun.
    Edited by Tyrvarion on 16 March 2023 11:19
  • Konstant_Tel_Necris
    Konstant_Tel_Necris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps answer is there https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:The_Light_and_the_Dark
    Long, long ago, before there were any people at all; even before the gods, Tamriel was chosen as a battleground by two -- things. It is difficult to find words that fit them well. I call them the Light and the Dark. Others use different names. Good and Evil, Bird and Serpent, Order and Chaos. None of these names really apply. It suffices that they are opposites, and totally antithetical. Neither is really good or evil, as we know the words. They are immortal since they do not really live, but they do exist. Even the gods and their daedric enemies are pale reflections of the eternal conflict between them. It's as though their struggle creates energies that distort their surroundings, and those energies are so powerful that life can appear, like an eddy in a stream."
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps answer is there https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:The_Light_and_the_Dark
    Long, long ago, before there were any people at all; even before the gods, Tamriel was chosen as a battleground by two -- things. It is difficult to find words that fit them well. I call them the Light and the Dark. Others use different names. Good and Evil, Bird and Serpent, Order and Chaos. None of these names really apply. It suffices that they are opposites, and totally antithetical. Neither is really good or evil, as we know the words. They are immortal since they do not really live, but they do exist. Even the gods and their daedric enemies are pale reflections of the eternal conflict between them. It's as though their struggle creates energies that distort their surroundings, and those energies are so powerful that life can appear, like an eddy in a stream."

Nice find.
    PC EU
  • Supreme_Atromancer
    Supreme_Atromancer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's just one of the magic school tapestries, no need to assign any more deeper significance to the motif at hand, it's not some new cosmology but a fancy name for a symbol.

Its Elder Scrolls lore. Assigning more deeper significance to literally everything is what we do.

On an unrelated note, I'm pretty sure its an abstracted image depicting the Shezzarine mantling the overdream from deep within the dust-sayings of the Amaranth Agendanauts.
  • PrinceShroob
    PrinceShroob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaimeh wrote: »

That's a good point, taking the chronology in mind. It would be a good question for the Loremaster, but I don't think they are in the forums.

The tapestry depicts a phoenix matching the artwork used for the Restoration skill in Skyrim, which also appears on Restoration spell tomes. It is never referred to as an Aurbic Phoenix in-game; presumably it was chosen to represent the magic school due to phoenix's associations with rebirth. Oblivion's skills menu also represents Restoration with a similar image.

The tapestry furnishing's name merely suggests that the bird depicted in the Skyrim UI element has an in-universe name. There is no timeline issue.
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Its Elder Scrolls lore. Assigning more deeper significance to literally everything is what we do.

That's fine when it makes sense, but as much as I like seeing signs in a bare sujamma cup at times it's just an aurbic phoenix shaped foam.