The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Your IP is being tracked?

FeedbackOnly
FeedbackOnly
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
So what's going on? Saw that warning when I logged in.

Edited by ZOS_Icy on 17 March 2023 10:57
  • AvalonRanger
    AvalonRanger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there any of trace of tracking?
    My playing time Mon-Friday UTC13:00-16:00 [PC-NA] CP over2000 now.
    I have [1Tough tank] [1StamSorc-DD] [1Necro-DD] [1Real Healer]
    But, I'm Tank main player. Recently I'm doing Healer.

2023/12/21
    By the way...Dungeon-Meshi(One of Famous Japanese fantasy story comic book) got finale...
    Good-bye "King of Monster Eater".
  • Ragnarok0130
    Ragnarok0130
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Care up upload a screenshot OP?
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I don't know, I logged in and right on bottom said your IP is being tracked. I am concerned because that never appeared.
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Care up upload a screenshot OP?

I logged right out and cleared all cookies. I am concerned because that was creepy. It didn't show second time but used a different connection
  • Four_Fingers
    Four_Fingers
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Almost all forum software allows the mods to see your IP address.
    Not to mention the commercial trackers in use.
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Sure but forums literally gave warning itself. That wasn't always there and the timing sucks.

I had issue just a few weeks ago with zos so it concerns me [snip]. I haven't really logged but today...I was feeling like moving past it...yet this happened.

I hope it was just a technical error or a mistake but this is just disheartening after trying to move past things.

😭 I was only logging in to say what amazing changes I liked. Idk what to feel now. Maybe it's a sign

[Edited for minor conspiracy theory]
    Edited by ZOS_Phoenix on 16 March 2023 14:34
  • Aorys
    Aorys
    ✭✭✭✭
    Spies won't tell you are being spied.
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    Just to clarify before we start investigating, this warning happened when you signed into the forums, correct @FeedbackOnly?
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »
    Just to clarify before we start investigating, this warning happened when you signed into the forums, correct @FeedbackOnly?

@ZOS_Kevin yes my first logged today. I had came to logged to talk about how I really like tank changes. I definitely know what I saw.

I have anxiety because of what happened before as I was very much innocent, and took some time to get that made clear. So please understand my position of pure fear and history of forums exactly doesn't make it easier.

I understand that could be a technical error, a one time thing, but as I said timing was just awful. I keep my word and didn't make issue public. I am concerned for many reasons that my IP would be tracked after that incident. Well maybe, it's always tracked, but seeing the warning was scary. Also, I wasn't never nice at end of that incident (sorry)

I want to be clear, I know what I saw. I also was in a good mood before this as was very much enjoying new content and wanted to come share joy. If we are always tracked... would be great not to see warning. Without more information as user, I was very scared seeing a warning like that, especially when it wasn't there before.

🤦‍♀️ I really should just leave forums because it's always scary and fear these days, but they say time heals all wounds...or I am stupidly in love with this world. I guess, I am stupid, so I hope I am not being retaliated against. I would just like my peace of mind to enjoy game and talk about the game again and it's joys.
    Edited by FeedbackOnly on 16 March 2023 15:10
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    Okay, so investigating with the team now. We have not made any change on our end that would prompt a warning like that . So we know the prompt appearing was not made on the ZOS end of things. We are checking in with Vanilla, the forum software hosting site, about this as well.

In the meantime while we are confirming with Vanilla, do you run any anti-virus software? Sometimes your browser or anti-virus can trigger a prompt like that.
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post
  • wilykcat
    wilykcat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is an interesting discussion 🤔

All websites track IP addresses. Mostly for 3rd parties and for security reasons. I can see how that can make people feel uncomfortable. It doesn't really bother me though.

If this is for security reasons a website will let you know that there was a suspected unusual log in of the account from an unknown or unrecognized IP address.

Not entirely sure but I hope this information somewhat helps.
    Edited by wilykcat on 16 March 2023 21:41
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cookie settings?
    Edited by Tandor on 16 March 2023 21:43
  • I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    That's what VPNs are for.
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »
    Okay, so investigating with the team now. We have not made any change on our end that would prompt a warning like that . So we know the prompt appearing was not made on the ZOS end of things. We are checking in with Vanilla, the forum software hosting site, about this as well.

In the meantime while we are confirming with Vanilla, do you run any anti-virus software? Sometimes your browser or anti-virus can trigger a prompt like that.

Just standard windows 11 one and assume running vanilla as I didn't change anything.

As long it has nothing to do with zos. It's a matter I don't care about anymore. If I ever see again then will try to screenshot it get more information

The only thing, that I could think that changed is it might been one of first I ever connected on this phone.

I thank all involved for investing the matter and sorry for the trouble.
  • AvalonRanger
    AvalonRanger
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know, I logged in and right on bottom said your IP is being tracked. I am concerned because that never appeared.

How about using free version "CC cleaner". It will clean up any of spy-ware.
    My playing time Mon-Friday UTC13:00-16:00 [PC-NA] CP over2000 now.
    I have [1Tough tank] [1StamSorc-DD] [1Necro-DD] [1Real Healer]
    But, I'm Tank main player. Recently I'm doing Healer.

2023/12/21
    By the way...Dungeon-Meshi(One of Famous Japanese fantasy story comic book) got finale...
    Good-bye "King of Monster Eater".
  • Grizzbeorn
    Grizzbeorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This seems to be something happening on the OP's end. (getting the alert.)
    I've never been hit with such an alert when logging on to this forum.
    Edited by Grizzbeorn on 17 March 2023 05:02
      PC/NA Warden Main
    • Amottica
      Amottica
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭

And they tend to know our IP when playing the game.

• ArchangelIsraphel
      ArchangelIsraphel
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      Most forums log the IP of the user. As someone who has been a mod on other forums before, I can tell you that most display the IP of the user at the end of every single post so that moderators can identify posters. The IP can only be seen by moderators selected to do so, and is not public.

It isn't anything personal or targeted at you, every single user is having their IP logged. I wouldn't worry about it.
      Legends never die
      They're written down in eternity
      But you'll never see the price it costs
      The scars collected all their lives
      When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
      Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
      Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
      Legends never die
    • Grizzbeorn
      Grizzbeorn
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      Amottica wrote: »

Yes. It's a difference in IP that flags the system to send those "this computer is not authorized..." alerts that force the input of an access code.

(the actual alerts that do so, not the erroneous ones that have been popping up recently when the user inputs their password incorrectly.)

Most forums log the IP of the user. As someone who has been a mod on other forums before, I can tell you that most display the IP of the user at the end of every single post so that moderators can identify posters. The IP can only be seen by moderators selected to do so, and is not public.

It isn't anything personal or targeted at you, every single user is having their IP logged. I wouldn't worry about it.

Yep. Everyone's IP is linked to their account when they log in. Most forum software will also maintain a history of IPs linked to an account. (lots of folks log in from multiple locations; home, work, etc.)

That's what enables admins/mods to implement IP bans when the situation calls for it.

Edited by Grizzbeorn on 17 March 2023 05:11
        PC/NA Warden Main
      • sh4d0wh4z3
        sh4d0wh4z3
        ✭✭✭✭
        Do you have Avast as an anti-virus? If so, I get that message pop up on a lot of websites that would request an IP or something similar. A lot of websites do it normally. It's very much a message in order to convince people to upgrade to their internet shield package for more money.
      • Amottica
        Amottica
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭✭
        Grizzbeorn wrote: »
        Amottica wrote: »

Yes. It's a difference in IP that flags the system to send those "this computer is not authorized..." alerts that force the input of an access code.

(the actual alerts that do so, not the erroneous ones that have been popping up recently when the user inputs their password incorrectly.)

It is also used to see if multiple players play the same account outside of people in the same household. Have seen it in another game and I would not be surprised if it happened here.
      • ZOS_Icy
        ZOS_Icy
        mod
        Greetings,

This thread has been moved to the General Help section, as it is better suited there.

Thank you for your understanding.
        Staff Post