VaranisArano wrote: »Where I come down on the topic is that interracial couples aren't that uncommon in Tamriel, so it says something when the common wisdom is that the children take after the race of their mother.
Like, yes, we can claim "unreliable narrator," but if they were wrong, it's exceptionally easy to disprove. The children of interracial couples have innate racial skills that match their mother. It's particularly obvious in past games, where you've got racial powers such as the ability of a Dunmer child to call on their ancestors in the Sanctuary spell or the Nord Battle Cry. Unlike in the real world, it's very easy to determine what race someone is in Tamriel.
It's very tempting to say "Oh, but that's gameplay" because the Devs clearly aren't going to design a bunch of intermediate appearances for interracial children. But even then, we don't see a lot of mixed appearances in lore OR gameplay.
What we see in game and in the lore is pretty simply explained by the common wisdom that the children take after the race of their mother in every major way. There's no body of counterexamples that I'm aware of, even though if that book were wrong, we'd expect to see plenty of contradictions. On the flip side, when gameplay matches lore, I think that's a pretty strong argument in favor of the lore being accurate.
As far as the original question, to be Dunmer is to be under Azura's curse, shown through the changed ashen skin and eyes. That's a magical change and thus a major part of their racial identity. So I'd argue that just as the child of a Dunmer mother is going to have the racial skills/passives/powers of a Dunmer, they would also have the Azura-cursed skin and eyes.
https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:The_Lost_Fort_Faleria (Ayleid-Imperial Hybrid, features skipping generations)
- https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Brief_History_of_the_Empire_v_2 (Cassynder and Uriel IV Septim)
- https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Aeliah_Renmus (Redguard-Imperial Hybrid)
- The existence of the Breton Race (Nede-Altmeri Hybrid)
- https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Augustine_Viliane_Answers_Your_Questions (Dumonte Dynasty, Bretons with elven features due to modern day mixing with Direnni Altmer)
- https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:The_Real_Barenziah (Jagar Tharn being Bosmer-Imperial-Dunmer-Altmer, see also his Arena Portrait)