Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

U37 "Bugfix" broke jumping, break free, interrupting, and more on gamepad/controller

React
React
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
@ZOS_Kevin @ZOS_GinaBruno

Fixed an issue where you could Bash and Light Attack simultaneously while using a gamepad.

This "bugfix" has broken controller/gamepad in multiple ways. Combat on a controller feels absolutely terrible and unresponsive after this "fix".

1) You can no longer break free by tapping left trigger and right trigger simultaneously. There is now a delay with the two inputs, and you must first hold block (LT) and THEN press light attack (RT) to break free. This forces you to have a delay on your break free that wasn't present previously.

2) You can no longer jump and cast an ability that is assigned to your bumpers simultaneously. Before you could jump and cast an ability simultaneously, and this was commonly used by controller users to carry their momentum when they move their left thumb off the movement stick to barswap. Now, if you try to cast an ability which is assigned to LB or RB (R1/L1 on ps4 controllers) the moment you jump, or within about .25s of your jump, the ability does not go off.This only occurs with bumper abilities, NOT with XBY abilities, which likely means it has something to do with LB + RB being used to trigger ultimates.

3) Bashing feels off, and sometimes fails to fire. Very likely being caused by this change as well.

After having spent the first few months of last patch being unable to block properly because of another "bugfix", I really hope zenimax can roll this new "bugfix" back ASAP. It is ridiculous that the combat system is repetitively being broken by attempts to fix bugs.

Here is a video explaining point #2, the jumping issue, from above.

https://youtu.be/r7LYcjzYRa4
Edited by ZOS_FalcoYamaoka on 14 March 2023 17:10
@ReactSlower - PC/NA - 2000+ CP
React Faster - XB/NA - 1500+ CP
Content
Twitch.tv/reactfaster
Youtube.com/@ReactFaster
  • Four_Fingers
    Four_Fingers
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not going to go over well on consoles, especially those jumping sorcs.
  • PurpleScroll
    PurpleScroll
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gamepad player here using a PS5 controller that is wired and I have noticed the exact same things. Breaking free is especially tedious.
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    Thanks for reporting this @React. We have sent this to our teams to investigate.
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post
  • React
    React
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »
    Thanks for reporting this @React. We have sent this to our teams to investigate.

Thank you for the comment. Please let me know if I can provide any additional details, repro steps, or video examples/input overlay examples. This really needs to be fixed ASAP or that bugfix needs to be reverted, as PVP combat on a controller is more or less unplayable with these bugs.
    Edited by React on 14 March 2023 17:45
    Content
    Twitch.tv/reactfaster
    Youtube.com/@ReactFaster
  • Qwazzy
    Qwazzy
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is concerning, core combat issues must be resolved swiftly. Hopefully this is fixed before midyear mayhem.
    Smallscale/Solo player on multiple servers

PC North America - Characters
    AD Sorcerer - PvP 16
    AD Templar - PvP 33
    AD Nightblade - PvP 17
    AD Dragonknight - PvP 19
    AD Necromancer - PvP 22
    EP Sorcerer - PvP 20
    EP Templar - PvP 21
    EP Nightblade - PvP 20
    DC Sorcerer - PvP 16
    DC Templar - PvP 24
    DC Nightblade - PvP 18
    Xbox North America - Characters
    AD Sorcerer - PvP 32
    AD Sorcerer - PvP 20
    AD Sorcerer - PvP 14
    AD Templar - PvP 41
    AD Templar - PvP 16
    AD Templar - PvP 14
    AD Warden - PvP 29
    AD Nightblade - PvP 27
    AD Dragonknight - PvP 18
    AD Necromancer - PvP 14
    Xbox Europe - Characters
    AD Sorcerer - PvP 42
    AD Templar - PvP 36
    EP Sorcerer - PvP 16
  • Cast_El
    Cast_El
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree I can't break free with my controller since U37 . I only play for pvp content :neutral: .
    And it's unplayable hope to see a fix in few Days...
  • Cast_El
    Cast_El
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think the change they made to block while swapping bar made this bug.
  • Cast_El
    Cast_El
    ✭✭✭✭
    I found a way to make it work:
    Keybind "LT" button to bash/interrupt, it's the same command to break free. It will unbind your block bind button, then bind block with "LT maintain".
    You can now break free with LT and block if you're holding it.
  • React
    React
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_Kevin Any update on this? Combat is completely broken for gamepad users.
    Content
    Twitch.tv/reactfaster
    Youtube.com/@ReactFaster
  • Aektann
    Aektann
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_Kevin @ZOS_GinaBruno answer now! This bug will completely break the game on consoles! And are you just going to release this update as is? Again? How long will we have to wait for the fix this time? Three months? Half a year? A year maybe? This is unacceptable!
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    React wrote: »

We have identified the bug in question here. We're checking in with the team to see what a fix looks like and the timeframe. Hoping to have more soon. However, we are aware and working toward a fix.
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post
  • React
    React
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »

We have identified the bug in question here. We're checking in with the team to see what a fix looks like and the timeframe. Hoping to have more soon. However, we are aware and working toward a fix.

Thank you for the update.

Have you seen the other thread I made regarding break free causing your animations to disappear? It happens every single time you break free in PVP and is a major combat issue that was just introduced with U37. Just pointing this out as this is a separate issue from the one in this post, that is present on both mouse & keyboard as well as controller.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/629361/u37-pc-break-free-animation-is-horrendously-bugged-in-pvp-with-video-explanation#latest
    Content
    Twitch.tv/reactfaster
    Youtube.com/@ReactFaster
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager

Thank you for the update.

Have you seen the other thread I made regarding break free causing your animations to disappear? It happens every single time you break free in PVP and is a major combat issue that was just introduced with U37. Just pointing this out as this is a separate issue from the one in this post, that is present on both mouse & keyboard as well as controller.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/629361/u37-pc-break-free-animation-is-horrendously-bugged-in-pvp-with-video-explanation#latest

Thanks for this. We just checked in with the team and they are also aware of this bug and investigating a fix. Once we have more info on this, we'll update as well. We'll also follow up in the thread you posted to make sure players in that thread know we are investigating.

Staff Post
  • Xandreia_
    Xandreia_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i dont know if this one has been mentioned but sometimes when you block and get fossilised then break free it takes your stamina from 100% to 0% then you cant cast any skills and just die, the latency on skills has been really bad since the update too @ZOS_Kevin
  • Aorys
    Aorys
    ✭✭✭
    Xandreia_ wrote: »
    i dont know if this one has been mentioned but sometimes when you block and get fossilised then break free it takes your stamina from 100% to 0% then you cant cast any skills and just die, the latency on skills has been really bad since the update too @ZOS_Kevin

This is old, and I think its lag, you probably dead already when you see the bars dropping
  • React
    React
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Any update on this?
    Content
    Twitch.tv/reactfaster
    Youtube.com/@ReactFaster
  • Aces-High-82
    Aces-High-82
    ✭✭✭
    Combat is really frustrating as a ganmepad user atm. Those several problems has to be sorted out asap esp breakfree weird activation restriction.
  • Panderbander
    Panderbander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I noticed today that I was missing quite a few light attacks while weaving and realized that the input was just straight up not registering. While testing it appeared that roughly one out of four was failing to fire while using a controller. Weaving with a mouse and keyboard was perfectly fine--not a single missed LA. I haven't changed the way I weave and it was rare that I would miss a LA when parsing on previous patches.

I swapped to my old xbox elite controller (that I'd stopped using because of a bumper issue) and further found that using the minimum trigger pull level (how I had previously used it on ESO) would occasionally not have any effect for light attacks and heavy attacks wouldn't fire at all.

Based on this, my guess is that the "fix" that was made changed the point that the game would register the triggers as having been pulled, adding a subtly increased amount of time that is required to register the input which could be impacting break free's use.
    Leader of Lycan Syndicate, PC NA's tri-faction werewolf guild.~~~Played since the beta, got the monkey.~~~"The blood of the pack is now yours. They are your only family, your only allegiance!"
  • React
    React
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I noticed today that I was missing quite a few light attacks while weaving and realized that the input was just straight up not registering. While testing it appeared that roughly one out of four was failing to fire while using a controller. Weaving with a mouse and keyboard was perfectly fine--not a single missed LA. I haven't changed the way I weave and it was rare that I would miss a LA when parsing on previous patches.

I swapped to my old xbox elite controller (that I'd stopped using because of a bumper issue) and further found that using the minimum trigger pull level (how I had previously used it on ESO) would occasionally not have any effect for light attacks and heavy attacks wouldn't fire at all.

Based on this, my guess is that the "fix" that was made changed the point that the game would register the triggers as having been pulled, adding a subtly increased amount of time that is required to register the input which could be impacting break free's use.

This seems like a solid assessment.

Really hoping there is an incremental planned for next week to roll back this catastrophic bugfix. I know I am quite vocally critical of the game and issues like this one, but I am not exaggerating when I say that I truly have never experienced combat issues of this magnitude on ESO in the entire time I have played it. The experience on a controller is downright unbearable as a result of this bugfix.

Edited by React on 24 March 2023 03:57
    Content
    Twitch.tv/reactfaster
    Youtube.com/@ReactFaster
  • maitrekanter
    maitrekanter
    ✭✭
    the bug still here ,playing with a gamepad it's disgusting,take more 15 days for a bug ? ,they don't test the game, prefer activate new mounts etc
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think this may also be impacting their supposed fix for Shards and other ground-cast AoEs. Since those were frequently failing to fire, they made light attacks confirm the cast instead of canceling them. But if we can’t get the light attack to go off reliably now, then the fix doesn’t work. Shards is still highly problematic for me.
  • Xandreia_
    Xandreia_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm honestly a little concerned how long this is taking to fix, it's not a small bug, this is core gameplay for alot of people that shouldn't still be a thing 2 weeks later!
  • Overamera
    Overamera
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bugs still here. I've got the same bugs on controller. Literally unplayable if you're solo pvping. Break free is delayed and messed up, animations aren't going off, you cant literally use your bumpers when jumping, desyncs and for some reason after I die my character stands up or is walking. These are the bugs I've noticed.
  • React
    React
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_Kevin @ZOS_BrianWheeler @ZOS_GinaBruno

These bugs are still present after the 3/27 incremental on PC NA. I tested this morning on four separate controllers to ensure it wasn't a hardware issue.

Can you please provide an update as to what is happening with this? It is mind boggling that this wasn't fixed ASAP. These issues are far more damaging than the block problems we had last patch.
    Edited by React on 28 March 2023 05:58
    Content
    Twitch.tv/reactfaster
    Youtube.com/@ReactFaster
  • Bat
    Bat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It feels so off. Can't block because my magicka is low. :#
    Can't block because I swapped bar. :#
    Can't heavy attack because I just broke free or roll dodged. :#

Gamepad is in a very bad place right now.
  • React
    React
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tested briefly after this morning's patch on PC NA. From what I can tell, these issues have been resolved. I will do some actual PVP tonight to confirm, but just testing the functions in overland it appears that everything is working properly again.
    Content
    Twitch.tv/reactfaster
    Youtube.com/@ReactFaster
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tested briefly after this morning's patch on PC NA. From what I can tell, these issues have been resolved. I will do some actual PVP tonight to confirm, but just testing the functions in overland it appears that everything is working properly again.

Thank you for confirming, this is such great news and a big relief! \o/
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can confirm they seem to have rolled back the fix for bash + light attack, which is occurring again.

I’m glad they understood they couldn’t break break free and bash for the sake of that one issue.
  • React
    React
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apologies, wrong thread. The issues in this thread are resolved.
    Edited by React on 27 April 2023 19:38
    Content
    Twitch.tv/reactfaster
    Youtube.com/@ReactFaster